TCD Student Goes to New Heights to Launch Health and Sports Week
Posted on: 26 March 2012
TCD Health and Sports Week was launched on Monday, 26 March with Peter Linney from Trinity’s Climbing Club, abseiling the College’s Campanile on Front Square, supported by his fellow climbing club members, staff and students.
Health and Sports Week 2012, Healthy Body – Healthy Mind, encourages staff and students to look after the health of their bodies which will in turn help maintain healthy minds. The week, which runs from 26th to 30th March, includes a range of free exercise classes, gym sessions, talks, information stands and fun activities throughout the week for students and staff.
Former Ireland and Munster rugby player Alan Quinlan will give this year’s Health and Sports week talk on his experiences with depression. The free talk will be held in the Sports Centre on Wednesday 28 March at 1pm and refreshments will be available to all those who attend.
Peter Linney from Trinity’s Climbing Club, abseiling the College’s Campanile on Front Square at the launch of Health and Sports Week 2012.
Following the highly successful introduction of an Exercise Hour for all staff during last year`s Health and Sport week, the scheme will run again as part of the programme this year. This development aims to reintroduce staff to the benefits of regular exercise and the wellbeing that flows from physical activity.
Other Health and Sports Week events include:
– New fitness classes organised by the Sports Centre such as Zumba, Laughing Yoga, Personal Best 1 Minute Gym challenge and Introductory Training Sessions available to first time users and Trinity College staff non-members
– A mindfullness session organised by Human Resources
– A gardening class with David Hackett, the College’s Grounds Keeper
– Blood pressure testing in the Dining Hall foyer
– College catering will also offer a wide range of healthy food options throughout the week
– A range of information stands will be in place in the Arts Building foyer each day from 12- 2pm
The full programme of events and activities for Health and Sports Week is available at www.tcd.ie/collegehealthweek
This year, Trinity’s sports clubs will be fundraising throughout the week for Pieta House, a Suicide and Self Harm Crisis Centre. Your support will be very much appreciated. Find out more about Pieta House at www.pieta.ie