Trinity Sport announces 63 new scholars
Posted on: 18 December 2017
Trinity Sport, in association with Bank of Ireland, have unveiled their 63 sports scholars for 2017-2018. Among the line-up is a world champion, several inter-county players and a pair of Olympic 2020 hopefuls.
Included on the high-performance pathway are:
- Aoife Hopkins (sailing) – Aoife is the current U21 European ladies radial champion and looks on track to qualify for the next Olympics.
- Cian O’Sullivan (hurling), Fionn O’Riain Broin (hurling), and Aisling Maher (camogie) – all three are inter-county players for Dublin.
- Ellen Ince (taekwondo) – Ellen is both a world and European champion.
- Lorcan Tucker (cricket) – Lorcan is a previous junior player of the year for Cricket Ireland and was the highest run scorer for Ireland at the U19 World Cup.
- Four Ireland U20 (rugby) players – Jack Kelly, Michael Silvester, Max Kearney and Jack Dunne, who is also a Naughton scholar.
Twenty-six of Trinity’s other rugby players were also recognised for their outstanding performances.
Matthew Dossett, Deputy Head of Sport and Recreation, commented: “With a significant number of applications received, the task of selecting the final Trinity Sport scholars for 2017/18 was a very challenging process, and on behalf of Trinity Sport, I’d like to thank everyone who took the time to apply. This has been the highest level of interest the programme has ever received, and underlines the further enhancements made to the services, support, expertise, and facilities, which are tailored to those on a high performance pathway. In particular, the introduction of the new Sports Performance Development Officer post, and other vital support staff, is fundamental to our ability to attract and support athletes of the highest standard”.
Specialised strength and conditioning training, a dedicated medical care pathway, and financial support are just some of the benefits on offer to student athletes on the sports scholarship programme.
To celebrate this year’s scholars an event took place in the Public Theatre at the end of November attended by governing bodies, coaches and parents.
A full list of Trinity Sport scholars 2017-2018 can be viewed here