Frequently Asked Questions

Students who have any difficulty in completing the online registration process should first check the FAQs below – many common issues can be resolved quickly this way. Please click on the drop down tabs below to access the different sections of the FAQ. If you can’t find the answer to your issue, you can contact the Academic Registry for help:

Log Student/Staff Queries

Click onto and click the 'ASK AR' button


+353 (0) 1 896 4500 [Academic Registry Support]
+353 (0) 1 896 4501 [Academic Registry Staff Support]



Academic Registry, Watts Building, Trinity College, Dublin 2, Ireland


Student Annual Registration FAQs

The annual fees listed on your invoice are not what you expected

The invoice initially available on your portal is the overall official fee for your course. This may be a higher amount than you expect to see as it does not yet take into account portions of the fee that may be paid by other methods (e.g. a grant or a sponsor) rather than you personally.

It is the student’s responsibility to inform the Academic Registry of any sponsorship they are using to pay part or all of their fees. Once this is done, we will be able to recalculate your invoice and a final amount due will be available in your portal.

Common reasons why your fee may not be what you expected:

You are an undergraduate student eligible for the HEA Free Fees Scheme and have not declared this and are being charged for tuition fees.

The overall fee charged for your course includes two elements, the tuition fee and the student contribution. The majority of EU school leaving students are eligible to avail of the HEA’s Free Fees Scheme and therefore pay the student contribution and miscellaneous charges only( amount 2016). The criteria to determine Free Fees is available here:

Some students may not be aware that they are included in this scheme and that the actual official cost of their course is higher than understood – however as not all students are eligible, you must declare your eligibility during your registration on to allow us to recalculate your bill.

If you are unable to complete this, you can also submit an FRS1 form which is available here and can be returned at the Academic Registry Service Desk, post box, or by email.

You have attended a third level institution previously and are eligible for the Free Fees Scheme but have not declared this and are being charged tuition fees

Students who are returning to a third level education after attending a course previously may be eligible for all or part of their tuition fee to be sponsored by the Free Fees Scheme. These students can complete an FRS2 form which is available here to allow us to calculate their fees based on time attended on previous courses. Please note that this form must be completed by any previous institutions you attended – please allow time for this to be done as you will not be able to register until it is submitted.

You have applied to SUSI but have not yet had a response to your application

It is possible for SUSI applicants to register without paying their student contribution at this time if an application is in process. During the online payment process, SUSI applicants should indicate that their Sponsor is SUSI; they will subsequently be prompted to provide their SUSI Application Number which will begin with ‘WO’.  The Academic Registry will accept this as proof that the student has made an application to SUSI.  The invoice will be recalculated in the expectation that the application is successful. SUSI will notify the Academic Registry in due course of the outcome of the application for funding.   If you are unsuccessful you will be billed at that point for outstanding fees.


Students are being sponsored from a grant/fund but have not submitted proof of this to the Academic Registry

If you are in receipt of a grant, e.g. from SUSI or a scholarship, we can recalculate your invoice to reflect this after you submit documentation to the Academic Registry confirming this.

If you are a postgraduate research student and are being funded from a research account, confirmation of this must be submitted by your P.I./the authorised signatory on the account to allow us to recalculate your bill. A memo or copy of your invoice signed by the relevant staff member and noting the full research coding will be sufficient.

How do I complete registration?

Students will receive an in-tray message to their portal, advising them that registration is open. The student should then click on the “Register” tab in the left hand corner of their portal and complete all of the tasks shown.

As each task is completed the red X beside the task will turn to a green tick. When all tasks have been completed the student will then be fully registered and will be prompted to print a “Confirmation of Registration” document. This document should be presented at the dedicated ID Card Issue Desk (to be advised) (in the case of September new entrants) or the Academic Registry Service Desk (in the case of March new entrants) to obtain a new student ID card.

Please note that the payment of fees on the portal does not constitute registration. Students must complete the registration process via the portal every year.

I am having difficulties registering who should I contact?

Students who have any difficulty in completing the on-line registration process should call to the Academic Registry for assistance or may submit an enquiry with the subject title ‘REGISTRATION DIFFICULTY’ via email ( or by clicking the ASK AR button on the registration screens. 

Please note that during the September registration period the Academic Registry experiences a large volume of queries via phone and e-mail. We endeavour to respond to all queries as soon as possible however please allow sufficient time for your request to be processed. 

I sat supplemental exams and I have not been invited to register.

A passing grade is required to be uploaded to a student’s record before the student can be invited to register. Therefore, students who sat supplemental exams will be invited to register at a later stage than students passing at the annual exams.
Invitations to register are generally issued towards the end of September for students sitting supplemental exams who have received a passing grade.

I spent the last academic year on an exchange programme and I have not been invited to register.

Students who were out on ERASMUS exchanges or other visiting other institutions last year will be invited to register subject to the publication of a result for that academic year. Such students awaiting the publication of results should contact their School or Course Office in the first instance.

General Undergraduate Admissions FAQs

How do I apply?

Information on how to apply can be found on the Study at Trinity website. Students should determine whether they are EU or non-EU and follow the application procedure based on their status – EU or non-EU status does not refer to your citizenship but refers to your residency and application routes differ depending on your status.

Am I an EU or non-EU applicant - how is this determined?

Guidelines for determining EU/ non-EU status can be found here.

HEA Free Fees Scheme - do I qualify and what documentation do I need?

Information on the Free Fees Scheme and student’s eligibility can be found here.

What are the course fees and am I eligible for any assistance?

Information on course fees and college funding, for both EU and non-EU students can be found here

Applicants can find information on external funding here.

How do I apply as an EU Visiting Student?

Application forms for EU Visiting Students can be downloaded here.

When is the deadline for receipt of applications?

The close date is the 1st March for entry the following September. However, applications for Hilary Term entry should reach us by 30th September.

How much will it cost to study at Trinity as an EU Visiting student?

EU Students who are spending a year at Trinity as an integral part of their degree abroad are eligible for a fee remission and will only be required to pay the Student Contribution (€3,000 in 2016/17). In addition students are required to pay the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) membership levy (€8 in 2016/17) and the Student Sports Centre charge (€120 in 2016/17), but will not be liable for tuition fees if approved for the Free Fees scheme.

In order to be eligible for this tuition fee remission, EU students must be attending Trinity College Dublin for their 2nd, 3rd or 4th year of university study and must provide evidence that their Module of study at Trinity College would be fully recognised by their home universities as part of their degree. (This applies to full-time undergraduate students only).The Academic Registry will provide a form for this purpose once a place has been offered.

Students studying for less than the academic year will pay a one term fee of €2,056.

Are there English Language proficiency entry requirements?

A high level of competence in the English language is required. Please see here for our English language requirements.

I will not have the opportunity to take an English Language Proficiency test before the 1st of March. Is it possible for me to send the results after the close date?

Yes. Results can be forwarded on to follow the application and provisional offers can be made without them.

Can I take modules in more than one department while at Trinity?

Yes. It is usual for Visiting Students to take modules in two or three departments and sometimes four.

How do I enroll for modules at Trinity?

You will discuss module choices with departments into which you have been accepted on arrival. Students are not accepted into specific modules prior to arrival unless they have listed certain modules as "required" on their application form, and have been accepted into that department.

Does acceptance into a particular department mean I can take whatever modules I wish?

If you have been accepted into a particular department, for which you have listed modules as “required”, then yes, you will be guaranteed a place in these modules. However, acceptance into various departments means you will be offered modules on arrival following discussion with the appropriate lecturers. You may not be offered all of the modules you wish to take.

Where can I get information on modules available to me?

Module information for Visiting Students is updated annually online here

Can I apply to the Semester Start-Up Programme (SSP)?

At present the Semester Start-Up Programme is only available to non-EU Visiting Students.

CAO Application FAQs

I have the points but I did not get an offer?

Points are not the only criteria that determine whether can be made an offer.

Applicants are advised to check that they have met the minimum entry requirements (hyperlink) or course specific requirements (hyperlink) for the course they have not received an offer for. Some common reasons for not receiving an offer are listed below:

  • An applicant’s results do not include English, Mathematics or a language OR they do not satisfy the course requirements. Applicants from other EU countries must satisfy the English Language qualification outlined on the Study at Trinity website.
  • The course(s) for which the applicant applied has an interview/test e.g. Drama, Music, Adelaide (TR093), Medicine (HPAT-Ireland). If the applicant did not pass their interview they will be ineligible to receive an offer.
  • The applicant has not provided their final results. The CAO automatically receive the Leaving Certificate and most A Level results. Applicants who are presenting other examinations (e.g. French Baccalaureate, German Abitur etc.) must submit a certified copy of their results to the CAO.
  • Mature students
  • Random selection

My results were not in on time for Round One and I have the points for the course – will I definitely get an offer in Round Two?

If the results were not submitted by the applicant in time and there are places available after Round One an offer will be issued. However if a course is full or oversubscribed the University may not be in a position to automatically offer a place and the applicant may have to wait until there is a vacancy.

There was a mistake in my Leaving Certificate results and I now have the points for the course.

Any amendments to Leaving Certificate results will be notified to the Academic Registry by the CAO. We cannot act until we receive the formal notification from CAO. As soon as the result is received we will re-assess the application and make an offer in the next round if a place is available. If not a deferred place for the following year may be offered at the discretion of the Admissions Officer. (Note: This applies when the applicant has been notified of a mistake rather than where an applicant has specifically applied for a re-check of their marks.)

I got my 4th course choice on my CAO – what are the chances of getting a higher offer in the next round?

Offers will only be made in subsequent rounds if places are still available. It is only if applicants do not accept places in Round 1 that further offers may be made in subsequent rounds, therefore it is not possible to predict whether places will be available.

I am planning to get a re-check on my results. If I then have the points am I guaranteed my place?

If as a result of the re-check process an applicant receives an upgrade which brings their results to the points required for a course, we will do everything we can to offer a place. However the results of the re-check process are not issued until early October at which time most courses are full and sometimes, it may not be possible to accommodate additional students. In this case the student will be offered a deferred place for the following year.

I want to defer my place, what do I have to do?

Applicants who have received an offer from the CAO may apply to defer their entry. On receipt of the offer the applicant must do two things:

  1. DO NOT accept the offer
  2. Contact the Academic Registry ( stating the reasons for the request. The request must arrive at least two days before the ‘Reply Date’ shown on the Offer Notice. The applicant will be notified of the decision in writing. If the deferral is not granted, the offer can be accepted for the current year.

    Deferrals will not be granted to applicants who wish to take up a place in another third level institution in Ireland or elsewhere; or where a student is repeating the Leaving Certificate.

What is Random Selection?

If you look at the list of minimum entry levels you will notice that some points scores have an * beside them. This means that not all students on that points’ level were offered a place. To allow offers to be made fairly to students with the same number of points, a random number is generated when the points are being calculated and this ranks students in order. Random numbers range from 001 to 999.

I got my first choice but I really want my second choice can I change?

No, it is unfortunately not possible to move down your list of course choices.

Can I change courses once I register at Trinity College Dublin

It is possible to apply for an internal transfer: more information is available here. However students must have the points and other requirements for the course into which they wish to transfer – transfer cannot be used as a “back door” into a course. Transfer is also subject to there being places available and therefore cannot be guaranteed.

CAO Deadlines

It is very important to be aware that CAO deadlines are absolute. If an applicant misses a deadline for accepting a place then they will have to write to the Admissions Officer outlining the reasons for not accepting on time. It may not be possible to automatically re-instate the place – it will depend on whether or not a course is full. Where it is possible to re-instate the place the student will not receive another offer. TCD will request CAO to record a late acceptance for the student.

General Postgraduate Admissions FAQs

The Academic Registry can provide information on overall aspects of the application process, for information specific course content, deadlines and similar, applicants should contact the relevant course office directly using the contact information listed on each course’s webpage.

How do I apply for a Postgraduate Course?

Details and application instructions on all of our postgraduate programmes can be found here

What is the closing date for programmes?

Closing dates vary for taught programmes, for more information please see our online prospectus and consult the individual course entry or contact the relevant department. Applications for research programmes can be made at any time. However, there are only two registration periods (September and March). Applicants are advised to apply as early as possible prior to their chosen registration period as supervisory capacity may be limited.

I don’t have the results of my final exams, can I still make an application?

Yes. Please complete the application form and upload your earlier years transcripts as part of the process. Then, when you receive your final year transcripts, you can upload them to complete your file. You may be made a conditional offer pending your final year results so apply early and make sure to include as many of your available transcripts as possible.

Is there an English language requirement for entry into Postgraduate Courses?

All applicants whose first language is not English and who have not been educated through the medium of English must present one of the following qualifications in the English language: IELTS: Grade 6.5; TOEFL: 88 - iBT, 230 - Computer based, 570 - paper based; Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English: Grade C; Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English: Grade C; Pearson Test of English (Academic) - PTE Academic: a minimum score of 63 (with no section score below 59). Please note that test scores are only valid for 2 years. For further details on these English Language Proficiency Tests, please contact the appropriate organisation directly.


How do I apply for a PhD or Masters by research?

To apply for a research position you must first contact whichever School or Department is suitable for your research from the list of Schools on the TCD website. Each School and Department has a list of Academic staff members and a brief synopsis of their research area. If you find an appropriate supervisor online please email them directly. The email should outline what research you are looking to undertake, a rough research proposal and a brief outline of your academic or relevant employment history. If you cannot find an appropriate supervisor via this method, please email the Director of Teaching and Learning: Postgraduate (DTLPG) of whichever School your research falls under with a similar email and they will hopefully be able to help you find a supervisor. Once you have a supervisor who is willing to supervise you then as per new regulations ALL applications to the Research register must be made online via The online application fee is €50. This payment should be made online following the instructions on the website.

How do I apply for the Postgraduate Studentship Award / Ussher Award? Can you tell me about other postgraduate awards / funding?

If you are just about to make an application for full-time PhD research here at TCD then you can apply for either of these awards by selecting them from the drop down menu in the Section of the Application Form marked "Financials/Funding". Please note the closing date for these awards is the 1st of May annually. This closing date covers entrants for the following September and March start dates. The Postgraduate Studentship Awards are decided at a School level by a committee chaired by the DTLPG and results are announced at the end of July/start of August annually. The awards are generally for 3 academic years only, cover the recipients annual tuition fees (both EU / Non-EU) and provide a stipend of €6,500.*

The Ussher Awards are also for 3 academic years, cover the recipients annual tuition fees (both EU / Non-EU) and provide a stipend of €13,000.* The Ussher Awards are decided at a Faculty level by a committee chaired by the Faculty Dean from nominations provided by the DTLPG from the Schools within that Faculty. If the applicant has already made an application online then there is no method on the system to allow them to retrospectively apply for the awards. The applicant will need to contact their supervisor to request that their application is passed onto the DTLPG for consideration for the awards.

*Please note that the amount of fees paid and stipend provided will be subject to change.
Further information for funding available for postgraduate students on the research register within TCD can be found on our Graduate website.

Unfortunately, there is no funding for postgraduate students on taught courses within Trinity College Dublin, but please see our External Funding section for information regarding funding available from other sources here.

Fees and Payments FAQs

Am I classed as an EU or Non EU student for Fees purposes?

Please contact the Academic Registry with queries on your status as an EU or non-EU student. 

Where can I get a receipt for fees paid?

Students have the ability to print receipts for any fees paid from the academic year 2012/13 onwards from the “My Finance” section of their portal. The Academic Registry can provide copies of these receipts if you require a stamped & signed version, if you require receipts prior to 2012/13 or if you are a graduate. Please note that these receipts can only be requested by the student and are in the same format as those available on the portal.

Where can I find out about Financial Assistance?

Undergraduate students seeking financial assistance should contact the Senior Tutor’s Office at or by calling +353 (0) 1 8962551.

When do I need to pay fees for the academic year 2017/2018?

EU students
Instalment 1 is due by 01 September 2017
Instalment 2 is due by 31 January 2018

Non- EU students
Non-EU students in their first year - Full payment is due by 01 September 2017
Continuing Non-EU Students – Instalment 1 is due by 01 September 2017 Instalment 2 is due by 31 January 2018

How much is the Sports Centre Levy?

The Sports Centre Levy is €120 for the academic year 2017/2018. This is a mandatory charge. Applications to waive the Sports Centre Levy should be made to the Senior Tutor’s Office using this form.

How do I pay my course fees/ course deposit?

Your invoice will be raised on the portal and is viewable in your in-tray and in your My Finance tab. There are two payment options:

  1. Online Credit/Laser card payment via your portal.
  2. Electronic funds transfer as follows:

Bank Of Ireland
Business Desk
College Green
Dublin 2

Account Name       TCD No 7 Account
Account Number    92771039
Sort Code              900017
IBAN                     IE 03 BOFI 9000 1792 7710 39
Swift Code            BOFI IE 2D
Please quote student number as the reference.

How do I apply for a grant?

First Time Grant Applicants:

If you are an incoming student with no prior third level attendance OR if you are a Continuing student who is a first time grant applicant you can make a grant application to the new single grant authority SUSI (Student Universal Support Ireland). For further information about entitlement to a SUSI Grant, rates of grants and Grants Means Testing please

Continuing Students:

Continuing students who are already holders of Higher Education Grants from their Local Authority / County Council / VEC: should contact their grant provider for information on how to renew their grant.

I am an EU Member living in Ireland can I qualify for a Student Grant?

In order to qualify for a grant a student must be legally resident in Ireland for at least 3 of the 5 years up to the day before your approved course commences in an approved college. If you do not qualify at the beginning of your course, it is possible for you to meet this requirement during the course of your studies; reviewed at the beginning of an academic year. Please contact and for further information.

What happens if I have already paid my fees and I am subsequently awarded a grant?

Any refund due to you will be payable once the Academic Registry has received payment in full from the relevant Local Authority or SUSI. A refund will then be automatically processed.

Can the Academic Registry issue an invoice to my company?

No, Trinity College Dublin's financial contract is with the student and as such we cannot invoice a third party. You can print your own invoice from the student portal and give it to your company. The Academic Registry’s bank account details are supplied on the portal and can be provided to your company to allow them to make a payment.

I am a Non EU student and I need to apply for a Visa. How can I get a fees receipt?

Once the student has made any payment in regards to fees their receipt will be available to print from the portal. If required this same receipt can be requested from the Academic Registry which will also be stamped and signed.

If I have previous third level education, what documents do I need to complete?

Please see this information on the FRS2 form which is required to allow students returning to third level education to register.

Do I pay a fee to apply to Trinity College Dublin?

All candidates who apply for direct entry to the University (not through CAO) must pay a non-refundable application fee of €55. This includes Non-EU undergraduate applicants, advanced entry applicants and postgraduate applicants.

Do I have to pay the €8.00 USI Levy?

The USI levy is an optional charge. 

Will my fees be increased next year?

Trinity College Dublin on an annual basis in December. Any changes to course fees will be listed on the course fees page before the start of the new academic year. 

 Can you give me more information about paying my student contribution through the TCD Finance scheme?

Please contact Bank of Ireland directly on 076 623 2645, or consult our website at

What happens if I register late for a course in TCD?

There is a late fee payment penalty of €212 for students with outstanding debts beyond the deadline. You will be notified of this via your portal. Students who fail to pay and complete registration will be made withdrawn from their course and will have to apply for readmission.

Readmitted students will be liable for a combined late payment penalty/ readmission charge of €358. The late payment penalty and readmission charge are mandatory.

These fees are part of the terms and conditions of registration and are detailed in the College Calendar

More information on readmission is also available on our Study website under the Applying for Re-admission to Trinity College Dublin heading.

It is the responsibility of the student to ensure they are registered in a timely fashion.

I am struggling to pay my fees, is there any way I can pay some now and some later?

Students are entitled to pay their fees in the following instalments.

EU students
Instalment 1 is due by 01 September 2017
Instalment 2 is due by 31 January 2018

Non- EU students
Non-EU students in their first year - Full payment is due by 01 September 2017
Continuing Non-EU Students – Instalment 1 is due by 01 September 2017 Instalment 2 is due by 31 January 2018

If you are having difficulty meeting these deadlines or have further queries on fee deadlines, please contact the Fees & Payments Team at

If I have to repeat the year, do I have to pay fees?

In most cases, yes. If you are entitled to the Free Fees remission scheme (link) and you repeat a year, you will have to pay fees for the year that you repeat. Once you've passed that year, you can again avail of the scheme. If you are repeating because you had to withdraw during the year or were unable to sit the exam on medical grounds, you should contact your Tutor to discuss your situation. Depending on your personal circumstances, you may qualify for a medical repeat

Can I claim tax relief on my tuition fees?

Tax relief applies to full time and part time undergraduate students who are paying a tuition fee. The undergraduate student contribution, student Sports Centre charge and the USI levy are not a tuition fee

Can I claim Tax relief on Student Contribution?

Families with two or more children liable for the new student contribution will qualify for tax relief on payments arising from second and subsequent sibling liability.  Please see the Revenue site for further information.

Where can I collect my grant maintenance cheque?

Many grant bodies now many maintenance payments by EFT payment to your personal bank account and as such no cheque is required. If your grant is still paid by cheque you can collect it at the Academic Registry Service Desk once it has been issued by your grant body.
Unfortunately the Service Desk is unable to provide information concerning grant cheques via phone or e-mail. Students are asked to come in person to collect their cheques or to enquire as to whether a cheque has been received for them.

Students who may be on placement or study abroad programmes may nominate someone to collect their cheques on their behalf. Students should contact the Academic Registry at to request the nomination form. Nominees must produce photo ID when collecting a grant cheque on a student’s behalf.

Students awarded a SUSI maintenance grant will be paid on a monthly basis (nine instalments) by electronic funds transfer (EFT) into their personal bank account. Continued payment will be contingent on verification of your attendance on the course to the college at regular intervals throughout the year. 

The tuition fees/student contribution element of the fee grant will be paid directly to the University on your behalf.

Examinations and Assessment FAQs


When will the Annual examination timetables be published?

The Annual examination timetable is usually published in April and will be available via portal.  You will receive a message on the portal advising you when this timetable is available.

I need to book a flight for the end of May – can you tell me approximately when my exams will be?

Students must ensure that they are available for examinations for the duration of the relevant examination session as stated in the University Almanack of important dates.

 I am registered with the Disability Service – how do I find out my examination timetable details?

All students will receive a message on the portal from the Academic Registry advising when the timetables are available. You should check the timetables for the dates and start times of your examinations. The timetable will also be published on the Academic Registry website.

Do I need to register or pay a fee for the Supplemental examinations?

You do not need to register or pay a fee for the Supplemental examinations. Queries with regard to Supplemental examinations should be directed to your School or Course Office

I have to sit Special Examinations. What do I need to do?

If you have been granted permission to sit a Special Examination you will receive your timetable details directly from your College Tutor. In all cases, a Special Examination fee is payable. Your Tutor will advise you of the current examination fee. The fee must be paid via the portal before you sit your Special Examinations.

I am currently off-books with permission to sit examinations at the next annual examination session. Do I need to register for my examinations?

Students with permission from the Senior Lecturer or the Dean of Graduate Studies to go off books for an academic year and sit examinations in that year must pay an examination fee of €382. This fee will be raised in advance of the examination – you will not be prevented from sitting the examination if this fee has not yet been paid, however, you will not receive your results until this is processed. Off books students with permission to take examinations are advised to consult with their School or Course Office before the end of Michaelmas Term to confirm their examination and/or assessment requirements while off books.

Where can I find information on the Foundation Scholarship process?

All information pertaining to the Foundation Scholarship process is available on the Academic Registry website

When will my Annual examination results be published?

Annual examination results are published to the portal by your School or Course office during May and June, please contact them for specific dates.

I was awarded the (XXX) Prize this year. When will I receive my payment?

Monetary prizes are paid directly into a student’s bank account. Please ensure that the ‘Capture Bank Details option in the portal have been completed.  

Misc FAQs

Where can I get a Graduate Reader’s pass to the Trinity College Dublin Library?

Graduates can apply online for a Graduate Reader’s pass here 

Where can I get an Trinity Student ID card? How much does it cost?

ID cards for students registering during September are available from the dedicated ID Card Issue Desk (location to be determined).  Please see the Academic Registry Service Desk website for details of collection times.

ID cards for students registering in January or March are available from the Academic Registry Service Desk. In both cases students must present a printed copy of their “Confirmation of Registration” from their portal to receive their card.

Replacement cards are issued by the Academic Registry Service Desk. There is a €20 fee for lost or damaged cards. This fee will be waived in the case of stolen cards if the student produces a Garda/police report confirming the theft of the card.

Where can I get a staff card?

Staff cards are available from Human Resources in House 4.

Where can I apply for a Student travel card/leap card?

Travel cards are available from the Students’ Union Office located in House 6 opposite the Students’ Union shop on left hand side after the main archway on to campus.

Postgraduate students should contact the Graduate Students’ Union in the first instance.

Where can I request a letter showing I am registered student of the college/confirming my address?

Letters confirming a student’s address or registration status can be requested from the Academic Registry. These letters take approximately one working day to issue. Please note during registration and other busy periods there may be short delays in the issuing of letters.
Further information is available here.

Where can I request a transcript?

The Academic Registry issues transcripts for specific courses. A list of these courses can be found at 
Student can request a transcript by completing this online request form. Transcripts take approximately 10 working days to issue.

Please note the transcripts issued by the Academic Registry will only show an overall result for each year of a student’s programme. For results by module students should contact their school or course office.

Requests for postgraduate research programmes, including the Ph.D., can be made by completing this online request form. Transcripts for all taught postgraduate courses are issued directly by the School or Course Office. Contact information for all offices can be found in the A-Z section of the Trinity website at  

What are the general procedures at Commencements/Graduation Ceremonies?

Degrees are publicly conferred, in the student’s registered name within degree class, by the Chancellor, or a Pro-Chancellor of the University in the Public Theatre, Front Square, Trinity College Dublin at a ceremony known as Commencements which is conducted in Latin. Each ceremony is normally of an hour in duration. 

Do I have to apply to graduate?

All candidates for undergraduate and postgraduate degrees must apply to be conferred with their degree by submitting a Notice of Candidature. Students may request to attend the ceremony or apply to be conferred in absentia if they are unable to attend. Students who do not apply will not be conferred with a degree and will not be formally considered graduates and degree holders of the University of Dublin.

Candidates for diploma/certificate ceremonies do not need to apply for their ceremony or to be awarded in absentia as this will be done automatically on their behalf.

What is the closing date for application?

Completed Notice of Candidature forms must be returned so as to reach the Academic Registry by 5 pm on the appropriate closing date which is listed on the relevant Notice of Candidature form you have submitted (or on your invitation if you are being conferred with an undergraduate degree).

Candidates are advised that closing dates are very strictly adhered to, and late applicants will not be admitted to the selected ceremony; however, they may be admitted to the next available commencement session. 
Provisional application can be made to the Academic Registry prior to the publication of results; however, results must be published no later than 14 days prior to the first date of that group of Commencement ceremonies in order for the applicant to proceed with conferral. 

What is the Commencement Fee?

The Commencement/Graduation fee will be charged as a once-off payment to be levied at the same time as the tuition fee. The Commencements fee will be fully refundable to all students who become ineligible to proceed with conferral.
The fee is normally taken as part of student registration in the first year of a postgraduate course and the third year of an undergraduate course. If you have not completed payment at registration the following charges below will apply:

  1. Primary and Higher Degrees: €135
  2. Diploma/Certificate: €75
  3. Master in Arts: €637

Payment of the Commencement/Graduate Fee must be made at the time of application if not previously paid. The fee can be paid to the Academic Registry by credit / debit card. Payments made by credit card require the card holder to provide (in addition to their credit card number, and expiry date) the credit verification value (CVV) which is a three-digit code typically imprinted at the end of signature panel on the reverse of the card.

Payment can also be made by cheque / postal or money order / banker’s draft drawn in favour of TCD No. 1 a/c. Cash payments cannot be accepted at this time.

Candidates will not be permitted to proceed with conferral until all amounts due by them to the College have been paid in full no later than two weeks prior to the beginning of a commencement session (including outstanding library books, and/or debts in respect of Library, accommodation, and fees).

I’ve appealed my result, can I proceed with conferring?

Students with results under appeal are advised not to proceed to Commencements until the appeal is concluded.

Can I be conferred In Absentia?

Graduands may be allowed to proceed to their degrees without presenting personally. Normally such permission is granted only to candidates resident outside Ireland (32 counties) or to candidates resident in Ireland who submit reasons with their application in writing for non-attendance  which seem to the Senior Proctor sufficiently urgent. 
The Academic Registry will issue by registered post the parchment(s) to those graduates conferred in absentia. Alternatively, graduates who wish to collect their parchment(s) in person should contact the Academic Registry.

What happens if I fail to present at a commencements ceremony?

No degree will be conferred if you fail to present at a commencements ceremony, or withdraw at short notice. Your application will automatically be rolled forward to the next commencement session; the Academic Registry will advise you by email of the date and time of ceremony to which you have been assigned.

How do I know my application was received?

All completed Notice of Candidature forms normally within 14 days. Forms submitted at the Service Desk will be receive an acknowledgement card – no further confirmation is required. Forms submitted by post or email will receive an email acknowledgement. If you do not receive an acknowledgement card please contact the Academic Registry immediately.

What dress code is required for commencements?

All candidates must rigorously adhere to the following dress code:

  1. Men must wear dinner jackets or full evening wear (tuxedo), white shirt, black or white bow tie (clergy or military excepted), hood and gown, cap is optional.
  2. Women must wear black or white (clergy or military excepted), or a combination of both (black and/or white), hood, and gown, cap is optional.

Please note that candidates who do not comply with the above dress code will be normally denied permission to proceed with conferral on the day.
If candidates are to receive more than one degree, the hood and gown of the 
senior degree will be worn. Advice on seniority of degrees may be obtained from the Academic Registry

Can I hire academic / dress wear?

Candidates wishing to hire academicals may apply online at the:
Armstrong & Oxford website 

Academical dress may be collected from Armstrong & Oxford, normally located in the Atrium, (beside the Dining Hall) between 8.30 am and 6.30 pm on the day of Commencements. At least one hour should be allowed for the process of collection of academic dress. Payment for dress hire should be paid at the point of collection. 
Any queries regarding the hire and/or collection of academicals should be made directly to Armstrong & Oxford by telephoning +353.1.429.5736 or by emailing. Further details may also be obtained at the Armstrong & Oxford website. 

The charges (inclusive of VAT) are as follows:

  1. Bachelor’s Set (hood, cap and gown) :€35.00
  2. Master’s Set (hood, cap and gown) : €40.00
  3. Doctor’s Set (hood, cap and gown) : €45.00

Any queries regarding the hire and/or collection of dress wear should be made directly to Tangos Dress Hire, 5 Upper Fownes Street, Dublin 2 by emailing or by telephoning +353.1.677 3375. Further details may be obtained at theTangos Dress Hire website. 
The charges (inclusive of VAT) are as follows:

  1. Dress Wear (dress suit and bow tie): €42.00;
  2. Shirt and Cufflinks €13.00

Academicals and dress wear must be returned after each ceremony to the supplier, unless special arrangements with the supplier have been made. Further information is available here.

Is a photography / framing service available on campus? 

The University of Dublin has contracted Lafayette Photography as the official commercial photographer for award ceremonies. Lafayette Photography will have indoor studios on campus, on days of commencements. A brochure for Lafayette Photographers will be included in the information pack sent to graduands prior to conferring. Photographs and frames may be booked in advance by contacting Lafayette.

Please note that freelance photographers on the grounds of the campus are not agents of the College. You are advised not to use any of the unofficial photographers who may be on campus. Each year, some graduates complain of non-delivery of photographs or of poor-quality work by these photographers.

Where do commencements take place?

All commencements ceremonies take place in the Public Theatre, in the Front Square, Trinity College Dublin
Candidates for all degrees, other than doctorates, take the seat bearing their name in the Public Theatre no later than 30 minutes before the beginning of the ceremony. Candidates for doctoral degrees present themselves in the ante-room of the Board Room (entrance through House No. 1, Front Square) at least 20 minutes before the beginning of the ceremony, and walk in procession to the Public Theatre.
Candidates will have their role during the ceremony explained prior to commencement of the ceremony. Candidates who fail to arrive in time may be refused admission to the ceremony.

Is there access for people with a disability?

Candidates are requested to advise the Academic Registry in advance if they or their guests require wheelchair access to the Public Theatre on the day of conferral. Sign language interpreting services can be provided for the candidate upon request to the Academic Registry; requests should be made at least one month in advance of the ceremony date.

How many guests tickets will I be issued? 

A ticket for two guests will be issued by post at least one week prior to the ceremony. Tickets for overseas candidates will not be posted, but held in the Atrium located in Parliament Square, for collection. 
Only ticket holders will be admitted to the ceremony in the first instance. No provision can be made for the issue of extra guest tickets.

Where is the Commencement Reception held?

A reception immediately following each Commencement Ceremony is normally held in the Dining Hall. Attendance is optional and is open to guests additional to the two guests who may attend the ceremony.

Is parking available on the College campus?

Parking is not available on campus, except for candidates or guests with a disability and/or impaired mobility. Those requiring parking on this basis may enter through Lincoln Place Gate and park in the Front Square as directed by the University’s Security Staff.

All other candidates are advised to park in the public parking facilities located in close proximity to the campus. The Park Rite car park in Fleet Street has agreed to provide parking at the special College rate of €2.50 an hour or €10 (max) per day for individuals presenting a 'Commencements Ticket'.

Who qualifies for the degree of Master in Arts (M.A.) ?

A Bachelor of the University of Dublin of at least three years standing may proceed to the degree of Master in Arts (M.A.). The appropriate Notice of Candidature form is available online here should be completed and returned with the appropriate fee. The fee is waived in the case of graduates of 50 or more years’ standing. Further information is available here.

What language will the degree parchment be presented in?

All degree parchments are presented in Latin. Requests for the English translation of degree parchments and/or the verification of photocopies of parchments should be made in writing to the Academic Registry. More information on translations is available here.

Diplomas and Certificates are presented in English.