- The Paediatric Undergraduate course in delivered across 4 sites offering students learning opportunities and clinical teaching in centres of excellence-namely Tallaght Hospital, Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital, Crumlin, The Children’s University Hospital Temple St and The Coombe Women’s and Infants Hospital, Dublin. The program is led by the academic consultants in these centres and coordinated by the academic discipline staff. Students are welcomed by each centre as part of clinical teams with all specialty teaching delivered by specialists in their field.
- There are lecture theatre, locker,library, IT and common room facilities for students in each centre.
- To complement small group bedside teaching and also promote self directed learning a Simulation Laboratory and Clinical Skills area has been developed in the Discipline which enables students to practice and refine their examination techniques in a less stressful environment.
- The Laerdal Sim Baby is a portable advanced infant patient simulator ideal for undergraduate teaching in paediatrics. Sim baby has realistic anatomy and clinical functionality and is connected to a monitor which displays vital signs, ECG and Oxygen saturations-all can be manipulated during scenarios by the students. This provides valuable preparation and support to bedside clinical teaching which is the cornerstone of paediatric teaching
- There are also valuable clinical facilities provided by placements in Laura Lynn’s Children’s Hospice and the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit Crumlin.