I carry out research on groundwater quality in rural areas. This work is mainly focused on nitrate loss to groundwater from agricultural land and on synthetic organic compounds including pesticides and veterinary pharmaceuticals. I also study interactions between groundwater and surface water, and phosphorus loss to surface waters by different hydrological pathways. I work on groundwater-dependent wetlands including turloughs (karstic temporary lakes), fens and coastal dune slacks. Much of this research ties in closely with implementation of the EU Water Framework Directive in Ireland. I have a particular interest in karst hydrogeology, including karst water quality and groundwater - surface water interactions in karst regions.
My current research projects include:
- EcoMetrics - environmental supporting conditions for Groundwater Dependent Terrestrial Ecosystems (EPA Research Programme 2014-2020): Environmental supporting conditions for fens (Research partner and PhD co-supervisor)
- The impact of on-site wastewater effluent on karst springs (SFI iCRAG studentship) (Research partner and PhD co-supervisor)
Recently completed research projects include:
- Emerging organic contaminants arising in rural environments: investigations in karst and fractured bedrock aquifers (SFI iCRAG studentship / Teagasc Walsh Fellowship) (Principal Investigator and PhD supervisor)
- Nitrogen attenuation along delivery pathways in agricultural catchments (Teagasc Walsh Fellowship) (Principal Investigator and PhD supervisor)
- Development of an ecohydrology framework for setting environmental flow standards for Irish rivers (EPA STRIVE Programme) (Research partner)
- The role of humid dune slacks in supporting plant and invertebrate diversity in sand dune ecosystems, and effects of human activities (TCD / National Parks and Wildlife Service / EPA) (Research partner and PhD co-supervisor)
- Combining earth observation and environmental tracing techniques for groundwater detection and evaluation in Ireland (CONNECT) (EPA STRIVE Programme) (Research partner)
- Evaluation and interpretation of groundwater monitoring data and the implications for groundwater in Ireland (EPA STRIVE Programme) (Fellowship supervisor)
- Assessment of the vulnerability of groundwater to pesticide inputs from Irish agriculture (pesticide mobility case studies) (Dept. Agriculture & Food Research Stimulus Fund Programme / Teagasc) (Research partner and PhD supervisor)
- Environmental supporting conditions for groundwater dependent terrestrial ecosystems (EPA STRIVE Programme) (Principal investigator)
At Sophister level, I teach a module on Hydrology and Groundwater Quality (GLU33009), taken by students on the Geoscience and Environmental Science degree programmes.
M.Sc. Environmental Science
I contribute to the M.Sc. course in Environmental Science: I teach the Hydrology and Groundwater Quality module (ES7043) and also contribute to M.Sc. induction week and the supervision of M.Sc. desk studies and dissertation projects.
Publications and Research output
A selection of recent publications is provided below.
Mooney, D., Richards, K.G., Danaher, M., Grant, J., Gill, L., Mellander, P.-E. & Coxon, C.E. (2021) An analysis of the spatio-temporal occurrence of anthelmintic veterinary drug residues in groundwater. Science of the Total Environment, 769, 144804, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.144804
Mooney, D., Richards, K.G., Danaher, M., Grant, J., Gill, L., Mellander, P.-E. & Coxon, C.E. (2020) An investigation of anticoccidial veterinary drugs as emerging organic contaminants in groundwater. Science of the Total Environment, 746, 141116, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.141116
Mooney, D., Coxon, C., Richards, K., Gill, L., Mellander, P-E. & Danaher, M. (2020) A new sensitive method for the simultaneous chromatographic separation and tandem mass spectrometry detection of anticoccidials, including highly polar compounds, in environmental waters. Journal of Chromatography A, 1618, 460857, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2020.460857
Mooney, D., Coxon, C., Richards, K., Gill, L., Mellander, P-E. & Danaher, M. (2019) Development and optimisation of a multiresidue method for the determination of 40 anthelmintic compounds in environmental water samples by solid phase extraction (SPE) with LC-MS/MS detection. Molecules, 24, 1978, https://doi.org/10.3390/molecules24101978
Irvine, K., Coxon, C., Gill, L., Kimberley, S. & Waldren, S. (2018) Turloughs (Ireland). In Finlayson, C.M. Milton G., Prentice R. & Davidson N. (eds.), The Wetland Book, Springer, Dordrecht, 1069-1077.
McAleer, E.B., Coxon, C.E., Richards, K.G., Jahangir, M.M.R., Grant, J. & Mellander, P.E. (2017) Groundwater nitrate reduction versus dissolved gas production: A tale of two catchments. Science of the Total Environment, 586: 372-389.
McManus, S-L., Coxon, C.E., Mellander, P-E., Danaher, M. & Richards, K.G. (2017) Hydrogeological characteristics influencing the occurrence of pesticides and pesticide metabolites in groundwater across the Republic of Ireland. Science of the Total Environment, 601-602: 594-602.
Minet, E.P., Goodhue, R., Meier-Augenstein, W., Kalin, R.M., Fenton, O., Richards, K.G. & Coxon, C.E. (2017) Combining stable isotopes with contamination indicators: a method for improved investigation of nitrate sources and dynamics in aquifers with mixed nitrogen inputs. Water Research, 124: 85-96.
Tedd, K., Coxon, C., Misstear, B., Daly, D., Craig, M., Mannix, A. & Hunter Williams, T. (2017) Assessing and developing natural background levels for chemical parameters in Irish groundwater. EPA Research Report No. 183, Environmental Protection Agency, Wexford, 71pp. ISBN 978-1-84095-659-7.
Webster, K.E., Tedd, K., Coxon, C. & Donohue, I. (2017) Environmental Flow Assessment for Irish Rivers. EPA Research Report No. 203, Environmental Protection Agency, Wexford, 76pp. ISBN 978-1-84095-693-1.
Coxon, C. & Wynne, C. (2016) Foreword to Special Issue: Advances in water research: evidence-based contributions to management and policy in Ireland under the Water Framework Directive. Biology and Environment: Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, 116B(3), 133-134.
Foster, S., Tyson, G., Colvin, C., Wireman, M., Manzano, M., Kreamer, D., Goldscheider, N. & Coxon, C. (2016) Ecosystem Conservation and Groundwater. International Association of Hydrogeologists Strategic Overview Series, 6pp. DOI 10.13140/RG.2.1.4870.8244
Wilson, J., Rocha, C. & Coxon, C. (2016) Combining earth observation and geochemical tracing techniques for groundwater detection and evaluation in Ireland. EPA Research Report No. 172, Environmental Protection Agency, Wexford, 56pp. ISBN 978-1-84095-637-5
Wilson, J., Coxon, C. & Rocha, C. (2016) A GIS and remote sensing based screening tool for assessing the potential for groundwater discharge to lakes in Ireland. Biology and Environment: Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, 116B(3), 265-277. doi:10.3318/bioe.2016.15
Kimberley, S. & Coxon, C. (2015) Developing status tests for selected Irish groundwater-dependent terrestrial ecosystem (GWDTE) types as part of groundwater body status assessment under the EU Water Framework Directive. Biology and Environment: Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, 115B(2), 1-14.
Jahangir, M.M.R., Minet, E.P., Johnston, P., Premrov, A., Coxon, C.E., Hackett, R. & Richards, K.G. (2014) Mustard catch crop enhances denitrification in shallow groundwater beneath a spring barley field. Chemosphere, 103: 234-239.
McManus, S-L, Moloney, M., Richards, K.G., Coxon, C.E. & Danaher, M. (2014) Determination and occurrence of phenoxyacetic acid herbicides and their transformation products in groundwater using ultra high performance liquid chromatography coupled to tandem mass spectrometry. Molecules, 19, 20627-20649.
McManus, S-L., Richards, K.G., Grant, J., Mannix, A. & Coxon, C.E. (2014) Pesticide occurrence in groundwater and the physical characteristics in association with these detections in Ireland. Journal of Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 186, 7819-7836.
Premrov, A., Coxon, C.E., Hackett, R., Kirwan, L. & Richards, K.G. (2014) Effects of over-winter green cover on soil solution nitrate concentrations beneath tillage land. Science of the Total Environment, 470-471: 967-974.
Tedd, K.M., Coxon, C.E., Misstear, B.D.R., Daly, D., Craig, M., Mannix, A. & Hunter Williams, N.H. (2014) An integrated pressure and pathway approach to the spatial analysis of groundwater nitrate: a case study from the southeast of Ireland. Science of the Total Environment, 476-477: 460-476.
For full publication list please click here.