TJH Pathways - Preparing for Year 2
In the 1st year of Trinity Joint Honours programmes, students study two subjects equally at 30 credits (ECTS) each. For the 2nd year of your programme you will select one of three available pathways:
- To continue studying both subjects at 20 credits (ECTS) each and to take up 20 credits (ECTS) of Trinity Electives and Open Modules. This is usually referred to as the SF Joint Honours Pathway and students who choose this pathway will proceed towards obtaining an award in both of their subjects.
- To continue studying both subjects, studying 40 credits (ECTS) in one of the subjects and 20 credits (ECTS) in the second subject. This is usually referred to as the SF Major with Minor Pathway.
- To only continue studying one of the subjects undertaken in 1st year and to take up 20 credits (ECTS) of Trinity Electives and Open Modules. This is usually referred to as the SF Single Honours Pathway and in this instance students will proceed towards a Single Honours award in one subject only.
It is important to note the following about pathway selection for Year 2:
- The pathway you choose can impact the award you will be able to graduate with, as per the image below.
- If doing Major/Minor in Year 2 but think you might like to consider a Single Honour in Year 3, you need to be doing 40credits in your Major Subject.
- Not all subjects can offer all pathways and some subjects have special requirements should you choose them. The Senior Freshman Overview Document for 2023-24 will provide further details on this for each subject.
- Pathway Options for Trinity Joint Honours. Rising SF- Please see slides from the Information Session April 2023
We have included a few frequently asked questions towards the ottom of this page. The Joint Honours Pathways Tool can also be helpful in exploring your options and seeing what impact they will have on your degree.
Pathway selection will take place shortly after marks are published at the end of the academic year around mid to late-June. If you have any queries, please contact us.
I would like to continue studying my two subjects. Is it possible to study them at 30 credits (ECTS)?
Unfortunately this is not possible. We would recommend that you either study one subject at 40 credits and the other at 20 credits or that you take 20 credits in each and then take up 20 credits of Open Modules and Trinity Electives.
I would like to drop one of my Trinity Joint Honours subjects and pick up a new Trinity Joint Honours subject in Year 2. Is this possible?
Unfortunately it is not possible for students on Trinity Joint Honours programmes to change one of their subjects for a new one as part of pathway selection and modules choices. If you are interested in changing your subjects you will need to make a request to change your course through your College Tutor. You will find more details on Course Changes via the Senior Tutor's website
I would like to take up a New Minor Subject in Year 2. Is this possible?
Unfortunately it is not possible for students on Trinity Joint Honours programmes to take up a new minor subject in Year 2.
I chose a pathway and now wish to change it. Is this possible?
Students in Senior Fresh Trinity Joint Honours will engage in pathway selection again after SF year and before JS year, unless they have chosen the Single Honours pathway for SF year. If you are hoping to change for pathway for the 2022-23 academic year, you will need to request the appropriate form email@example.com and discuss the matter with your tutor and academics in the relevant disciplines. Please note the deadline for returning the completed form for 2022-23 changes in Friday, 23rd September 2022.