FIAGES (Feminist Institutionalist Approach to Gender Equality in STEMM)
TCGEL is hosting FIAGES, a two year research project funded from the EU H2020, MSCActions. The research, awarded to Dr. Rita Bencivenga, started in September 2018.
Studying and working in organisations having a satisfactory level of gender equality can foster gender-sensitive innovation in STEMM fields in academia and in high tech companies, creating a virtuous circle that reinforces a culture of Gender Equality. FIAGES will apply the lens of Feminist Institutionalism to explore academic and workplace organisations, in particular STEMM disciplines and ICT companies, seen as a continuum from training, to employment, and building a career, but also, potentially, sources of a variety of discriminating situations.
The research will be focused on Ireland and Italy, and its specific objectives are to:
- Gain a greater understanding of the co-constitutive nature of promotion of GE in two sectors interconnected: academy (STEMM disciplines) and high tech companies;
- Explore the various roles that individuals play within the selected institutions to promote GE and to bring about or resist gender-sensitive change;
- Understand the way these institutions/organisations shape individual behaviours through the construction of rules, norms and policies.
The results will provide to gender studies scholars and to those involved in transformative practices related to gender in the academia and in high tech companies a better understanding of how to:
- Promote GE through an in depth knowledge of pros and cons of different strategies;
- Make an analysis of the specific situation in organisation, through “listening” to the narratives of those working in them;
- Identify critical aspects, stereotypes, unexpressed biases creating obstacles to GE.
The planned research outputs include two journal articles, a book, presenting the research at international conferences, and international seminars and webinars. A bilingual dissemination and communication plan will increase awareness of the research aims and results.
Numerous outreach activities, including the use of social media, will allow the transfer of knowledge in academy and companies, and also to the general public.
FIAGES on Facebook: Fiages_MSCA
FIAGES on Twitter: @FiagesMsca
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie grant agreement No 793195
This webpage reflects only the author's view and the European Union is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information it contains.