Study Abroad Exchanges in TSM
This page includes general information for students considering going on an Erasmus or Study Abroad exchange and for TSM students currently away on an exchange.
TSM Subject Erasmus/Study Abroad Information Table
TSM students have a range of exchanges available in European and non-European countries. Information on issues such as exchange destinations, permitted year of study, Study Abroad Coordinators etc are available in the table linked below:
TSM Subject Erasmus/Study Abroad Protocol
This document outlines agreed procedures for the management of Erasmus and Study Abroad in TSM in all TSM Schools and Departments for the following stages: pre, during and post exchange. This Protocol has been approved by the TSM Erasmus and Study Abroad sub-committee of the TSM Management Committee for use by all TSM Departments and Schools in the management of Erasmus and Study Abroad exchanges in which TSM students participate. The aim of the Protocol is to ensure the smooth running of the Erasmus and Study Abroad exchanges across TSM, in order that students are treated fairly and equally by all subjects/areas.
TSM student responsibilities when taking an Erasmus/Study Abroad exchange include the following:
In advance of exchange
- Checking the requirements for both subjects with the relevant departments Study Abroad Coordinator.
- Ensuring that they satisfy the requirements and approval criteria of both subjects/departments, including the minimum grade required in each subject, and be approved to participate by both subjects/departments.
- Seeking information on the exchange for both subjects, in particular, all module and academic information for the non-organising department.
- Seeking approval from both departments well in advance of the relevant deadline.
- Where the intending student is registered with the Disability Office or has known health issues the student is advised to inform the Coordinator in both subjects/departments and their tutor, and they may also wish to consult the Disability Office. If students wish a disability to be taken account of in connection with the study abroad, it is their responsibility to notify the Coordinator at the time of application.
During the exchange
- Keeping in contact with both Coordinators in relation to all aspects of the exchange.
- Satisfying the module and credit requirements for both subjects in accordance with College and TSM regulations.
- Discussing any proposed changes to their learning agreement with the Coordinator(s).
- Assisting Coordinators in the collation of their results from the host University, if requested to do so.
- Students must take all required exchange assessments in the host University. Where an assessment is scheduled to take place after the exchange period is completed, students must return to the host University to complete these assessments.
- Keeping both Coordinators informed of any situation that may affect their period of study abroad, e.g. early return to College, issues with assessment requirements etc.
- Students must be aware of the conversion of their grades for the University they are going to.
How to Apply
If you are interested in participating in an Erasmus/Study Abroad exchange, you should contact the Study Abroad Coordinator in both of your TSM departments who will advise you on the particular exchanges which are open to TSM students.
Most departments have their own application forms which are available from the coordinators. In addition all students going out on Erasmus must submit the online Erasmus /European Exchange Application Form by the standard deadline (usually mid February in each year). Further information is available on Selection Criteria and Application for College-wide Non-EU exchanges. Both of these forms must be signed by both Study Abroad Coordinators in each department.
Check your Eligibility to Participate
The normal expectation is that students will be able to arrange an exchange in both TSM subjects and must obtain permission from both Study Abroad Coordinators in both departments.
Students must normally achieve a minimum grade of II.2 in each subject at the annual examinations immediately prior to the exchange, however some subjects require a minimum grade of II.1 to participate.
Students who fail the annual examinations but are successful in the supplemental examinations may, with the permission of the relevant Study Abroad Coordinators, participate in an exchange.
TSM exchanges are normally permitted in the Senior Freshman or Junior Sophister year. However, some departments will allow students to go in certain academic years only. (See the Information Table or contact both of your departmental Study Abroad Coordinators).
TSM Students following TSM pattern B and who intend to go on Erasmus/Study Abroad exchange in their Junior Sophister year must choose the subject which will be taken in the Senior Sophister year not later than the last day of Hilary term in the Senior Freshman year. The choice of this subject must meet with the approval of both departments.
TSM ECTS Requirements while Abroad
Students in Trinity take 60 credits per year, 30 in each subject. College regulations state that students studying abroad for a full academic year must obtain not less than 45 ECTS credits, or equivalent, from the host university in order to rise with their year.
In TSM the ECTS requirement while abroad is clarified as follows:
Full Year Exchanges: TSM students participating in a full year exchange must obtain a minimum 22.5 credits in each subject in order to rise with their year. Students are advised to take more than the minimum 45 credits in case of failure in some elements.
Half Year Exchanges: TSM students must obtain 15 credits in each subject in the semester they are in Trinity. While abroad students must obtain a minimum of 10 credits in each subject. Students will then have a minimum of 50 credits for the full year.
These conversion tables are used to convert the marks and credits of Trinity students who return from an EU or non-EU exchange. They are available on the Study Abroad Website, Outbound, How to Apply, scroll down to the end of the page, under the heading Conversion Tables.