How To Apply
To apply for Trinity Electives, go to my.tcd.ie and select the menu option ‘My Trinity Electives’ from 4th to 17th April 2019.
Academic Registry will contact you directly with further details.
You will be notified of which Trinity Elective(s) you have been allocated to in August.
You cannot change your mind at that stage, so make sure you select carefully in April!
How do I apply?
- Go to my.tcd.ie and select the menu option 'My Trinity Electives' to indicate your preferences in the online application form between 4th to 17th April 2019. Further details on the application process will be available there.
When do I apply?
- The application process for Trinity Electives for students takes place from 4th to 17th April 2019 for 2019/20. Academic Registry will notify you directly with further details. Note that if you are taking two Trinity Electives (one per semester), you make your selection for both semesters at the same time in April.
In which semester does each Trinity elective run?
List of Trinity Electives running in Semester 1 and Semester 2. Please note that this list is subject to change.
When will I know which Trinity Elective I’ll be taking?
- You will be notified in August of which Trinity Elective(s) you have been allocated to. You cannot change your mind at that stage, so make sure you select carefully in April!
Can I take any Trinity Elective?
- Most Trinity Electives are available to any student to take. However there are some exceptions – read the ‘Who can take this Trinity Elective?’ section at the bottom of the webpage for each Trinity Elective for further details.
What do I do if I want to change my mind about my selection?
Change of mind will not be facilitated in 2019/20. So you need to be very careful in your ranking of selections in April. The rationale for this is that if you miss even the first week of a Trinity Elective, it will be difficult to catch up. Many Trinity Electives have an intense introductory couple of weeks to give you the basics of the topic. If you are experiencing difficulties, you should contact your Module Coordinator and your tutor.
How are the Trinity Electives assessed?
- There is a variety of innovative assessment methods used across the Trinity Electives. You should look at the webpage of each Elective for details on which assessment methods will be used.
Can I take more than one Trinity Elective in a semester?
- No – you can only take one Trinity Elective per semester. If you are taking two in an academic year, you select which you wish to take in both semesters when you apply the previous April.
How many Trinity Electives can I take?
Your programme determines the number of Trinity Electives you may take. For some programmes it is compulsory – e.g. Engineering JF students in 2018/19 must take one Trinity Elective in their 2nd year and in 2020/21 one Trinity Elective in their 3rd year. For other programmes it is optional. You should check with your programme coordinator/ in your handbook. For any students eligible to take Trinity Electives, a maximum of two may be taken, one per semester.
In what year can I take a Trinity Elective?
- Trinity Electives are taken in the 2nd and/or 3rd years. It will depend on which programme of study you are taking as to exactly when you take your Trinity Elective. You should check with your programme coordinator/in your handbook. The only exception will apply to students eligible to take Broad Curriculum in 2019/20 in their 4th year – these students may take a Trinity Elective.
Do I have to take a Trinity Elective while I’m at College?
The answer to this depends on your programme of study. For some programmes, e.g. Engineering (students who entered JF in 2018/19), Engineering with Management (students who entered JF in 2018/19), Integrated Computer Science (students who enter JF in 2019/20), you must take 2 Trinity Electives. Your programme will determine whether these are taken in your 2nd and/or 3rd year. For other programmes, e.g., in the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, you may opt to take one or two Trinity Electives. Students in the Health Sciences do not take Trinity Electives (except for Human Health and Disease JF entrants 2018/19, who take 2 Trinity Electives in 2nd year). Current students who are eligible to take Broad Curriculum modules will take Trinity Electives instead - check with your Programme Director/Course Office/in your handbook regarding your requirements.
Will the set of Trinity Electives change?
- There may be changes to the offering every year and it is planned that additional Trinity Electives will be added for 2020/21. The offering of Trinity Electives will be reviewed on an annual basis.
What weighting will a Trinity Elective have towards my degree?
- The results of any Trinity Electives taken in your 3rd year will count towards your overall degree award. They will be treated in the same way as any of the core mandatory or optional modules that you take in your 3rd year, i.e., your degree award will be calculated based on your final two years’ results, weighted at 30% and 70% respectively.
I’m a Visiting Student – can I take a Trinity Elective?
- Yes – visiting students may take up to two Trinity Electives, one per semester. The application process for you takes place in early September and early January.
I’m a repeat year student – when will I choose my Trinity Elective?
- If your programme requires you to take a Trinity Elective, you will apply in early September.