IRISH LANGUAGE AND CULTURE
Why should I take this Trinity Elective?
Beginner Level: This Trinity Elective offers you the opportunity to learn the basics of an Gaeilge (Irish, or “Irish Gaelic”), Ireland’s first official language. As well as acquiring some core skills, you will also explore the topic “Dead or Alive? The journey to revitalise the Irish language”. If you want to learn about Ireland’s unique tongue, this elective is for you.
Advanced Level: This Trinity Elective provides the opportunity for learners who have already passed Leaving Certificate Irish to bring their language skills to the next level. Designed to enhance your spoken and written fluency, you will also explore the topic “Dead or Alive? The journey to revitalise the Irish language”.See below for further information on level requirements.
What will I learn?
- You will acquire new linguistic and intercultural skills
- You will learn about a contemporary cultural issue that presents a societal challenge in its linguistic context
- You will develop your metacognitive skills and strategies as you communicate in the language you have selected
What will I do?
- Attend a series of language classes where you will engage in tasks to develop your linguistic proficiency in speaking, listening, reading and writing
- Engage in online quizzes and activities to consolidate your progress
- Work in teams to complete collaborative, interactive tasks in class
- Prepare a short individual presentation on an cultural issue
How will this be delivered?
- 18 hours of face-to-face language classes and 10 hours of student engagement through teamwork and collaborative tasks
- Approx. 36 hours of online language learning exercises, tasks and activities
- Approx. 36 hours of assessment preparation & delivery (quizzes, presentation)
How will this be assessed?
50% continuous assessment:
- Online language quizzes 15%
- Participation in online discussion board on the cultural topic of the module 10%
- Online personal language log 25%
50% summative assessment:
- Timed slide presentation, pre-recorded and uploaded to Blackboard (25%)
- Written script of the presentation, uploaded to Blackboard (25%)
Who can take this Trinity Elective?
- Any student eligible to take a Trinity Elective can select this Trinity Elective except for the students from the following programme: Irish in the School of Languages, Literatures and Cultural Studies.
Please note that the Beginner modules (A1 common European proficiency level) are suitable only for complete beginners without any prior linguistic knowledge. Advanced modules (B2 common European proficiency level) are suitable for students who have passed their Leaving Certificate examination or equivalent. Language and Culture Trinity Electives may not be taken by native speakers. We require students to declare linguistic proficiency accurately, according to these guidelines. Applications will be screened following enrolment. If students enrol for a language module that does not match their proficiency then they will be allocated randomly to any Trinity Elective in which places are available.