Why should I take this Trinity Elective?
It is an iterative process in which we seek to understand the user, challenge any assumptions, and redefine problems in an attempt to identify innovative solutions to complex problems that might not be apparent or obvious.
What will I learn?
- You will learn the skills of empathy, problem definition, ideation and prototype development.
- You will begin to understand the evolution of creative ideas within a multidisciplinary context
- You will be encouraged to reflect on this experience to better understand your own preferred learning environment and team behaviours.
What will I do?
This module will focus of the development of creative, design and critical thinking. It will encompass classroom based and online learning activities.
1. Develop comprehensive skills in empathy, problem definition, idea generation and prototype development.
2. Reflect on how Design Thinking could be applied within a wide variety of contexts (including their own discipline)
3. Work effectively within a multidisciplinary context
4. Appraise the value of Design Thinking to specific complex problems
5. Articulate the value of proposed solutions in a meaningful and concise manner.
How will this be delivered?
- 4 x 2hr independent learning sessions;
- 2 x 2hr live online sessions;
- 5 x 2hr in person workshops
- 40hr project work
- 65 hours of independent study (including online engagement and application elements of online sessions)
How will this be assessed?
40%: A Group Design Thinking Project Presentation: Outline perspectives, ideas and actionable recommendations for a challenge which requires creative thinking and innovation to create new value, with a focus on sustainability. Project deliverables are communicated through a short oral presentation followed by Q & A.
40%: An Individual Personal Reflection (1500 words): Application of recognised models of reflection to summarise key learning points throughout the module and the application of SMART Goals to plan.
20%: An Individual Essay (500 words): How product/service creation and innovation impacts sustainability and progress towards Sustainable Development Goal 12 (SDG 12).
Who can take this Trinity Elective?
- Any student eligible to take a Trinity Elective can select this Trinity Elective except for students taking the Undergraduate Certificate in Innovation and Entrepreneurship.