Creativity and Technology
Why should I take this Trinity Elective?
This module explores the relationship between technology and creativity through a hands-on, ‘do it yourself’ approach. It pairs the acquisition of practical creative technology skills with an exploration of how technology and the creative arts shape one another. You will learn the basics of music & audio production while discovering how rival groups of composers and engineers in post-war Europe laid the technical groundwork for modern hip-hop and electronic music. You will also learn to create and edit videos using principles devised by early filmmakers and visual artists. Finally, you will discover how early collaborations between artists and computer scientists laid the groundwork for the AI and generative art explosion that we see today.
What will I learn?
- You will learn how the complex relationships between artists and technology shape contemporary creative practices around the globe.
- You will learn the workflows, digital tools, and practical skills needed to produce high-quality audio-visual content.
- You will learn to apply a collaborative, practice-based research methodology that will help you to think critically, creatively, and independently.
What will I do?
- Attend weekly online lectures (1hr) with experts working at the intersection of technology and the creative arts.
- Partake in weekly online practical sessions (2hr) to develop your creative technology skills and apply them in a group-based audio-visual project.
- Engage with weekly assigned media which will involve video/audio recordings and writings on important technologies, creative artifacts, and performances.
How will this be delivered?
- 11 hours of Lectures and class discussion.
- 22 hours of Online Practical & Group Work Session.
- 25 hours of Project Work & Field Work.
- 25 hours of Course Readings.
- 25-30 hours for skills acquisition & development.
How will this be assessed?
- 30% Personal Journal.
- 30% Multiple Choice Questionnaire.
- 40% Multimedia Project (30% group mark. 10% peer assessment).
Who can take this Trinity Elective?
- Any student eligible to take a Trinity Elective can select this Trinity Elective.