CHINESE LANGUAGE AND CULTURE
Why should I take this Trinity Elective?
Beginner Level. This Trinity Elective unlocks the fundamentals of the Chinese language and its beautiful writing system. This module will equip you with some key communicative and cultural skills to engage with the world’s most spoken native language. You will also engage with the topic “Ancient civilisation, modern superpower”.
Please note that these Electives are not traditional language modules and in addition to language learning there is a considerable focus on the culture and society of the country of the target language being taught.
Visiting students should note that the modules may not fulfil language credit requirements in your home university and you should confirm this before enrolling.
What will I learn?
- You will acquire new linguistic and intercultural skills
- You will learn about a contemporary cultural issue that presents a societal challenge in its linguistic context
- You will develop your metacognitive skills and strategies as you communicate in the language you have selected
What will I do?
- Attend a series of language classes where you will engage in tasks to develop your linguistic proficiency in speaking, listening, reading and writing
- Engage in online quizzes and activities to consolidate your progress
- Work in teams to complete collaborative, interactive tasks in class
- Prepare a short individual presentation on an cultural issue
How will this be delivered?
- 18 hours of face-to-face language classes and 10 hours of student engagement through teamwork and collaborative tasks
- Approx. 36 hours of online language learning exercises, tasks and activities
- Approx. 36 hours of assessment preparation & delivery (quizzes, presentation)
How will this be assessed?
50% continuous assessment:
- Online language quizzes 15%
- Participation in online discussion board on the cultural topic of the module 10%
- Online personal language log 25%
50% summative assessment:
- Timed slide presentation, pre-recorded and uploaded to Blackboard (25%)
- Written script of the presentation, uploaded to Blackboard (25%)
Who can take this Trinity Elective?
- Any student eligible to take a Trinity Elective can select this Trinity Elective.
Please note that this Beginner module (A1 common European proficiency level) is suitable only for complete beginners without any prior linguistic knowledge. We require students to declare linguistic proficiency accurately, according to these guidelines. Applications will be screened following enrolment. If students enrol for a language module that does not match their proficiency then they will be allocated randomly to any Trinity Elective in which places are available.