CHINESE LANGUAGE AND CULTURE
Why should I take this Trinity Elective?
Beginner Level. This Trinity Elective unlocks the fundamentals of the Chinese language and its beautiful writing system. This module will equip you with some key communicative and cultural skills to engage with the world’s most spoken native language. You will also explore a cultural topic in its linguistic context.
PLEASE NOTE that these Electives are not traditional language modules and in addition to language learning there is a considerable focus on the culture and society of the country of the target language being taught.
Visiting students should note that the modules may not fulfil language credit requirements in your home university and you should confirm this before enrolling.
What will I learn?
- You will acquire new linguistic and intercultural skills
- You will learn about a contemporary cultural issue that presents a societal challenge in its linguistic context
- You will develop your metacognitive skills and strategies as you communicate in the language you have selected
What will I do?
- Attend a series of language classes where you will engage in tasks to develop your linguistic proficiency in speaking, listening, reading and writing
- Engage in online quizzes and weekly activities to consolidate your progress
- Work in teams to complete collaborative, interactive tasks in class
- Prepare a short individual presentation on a cultural issue
How will this be delivered?
- 9 x 2-hour face-to-face classes (18 contact hours)
- 82 hours of self-directed activities (Blackboard Collaborate Ultra webinars, online language and culture activities and practice, advance reading, online activities, assessment preparation)
How will this be assessed?
100% continuous assessment:
- 30% 5 language quizzes
- 30% Participation in online discussion board on the specific cultural/linguistic themes addressed in the module (5 original posts & 5 comments on peer posts)
- 10% Reflective Learning Journal (5 responses to prompts designed to guide you in the process of reflection on your language learning experience
- 30% Presentation – An oral pre-recorded and time ‘Pecha Kucha’style presentation and its written script that will examine a key cultural issue identified in the module uploaded to Blackboard.
Who can take this Trinity Elective?
- Any student eligible to take a Trinity Elective can select this Trinity Elective.
Please note that this Beginner module (A1 common European proficiency level) is suitable only for complete beginners without any prior linguistic knowledge. We require students to declare linguistic proficiency accurately, according to these guidelines. Applications will be screened following enrolment. If students enrol for a language module that does not match their proficiency then they will be allocated randomly to any Trinity Elective in which places are available.