IRISH LANDSCAPES: INTERDISCIPLINARY PERSPECTIVES
Why should I take this Trinity Elective?
Landscape has a profound impact on our lived experience and quality of life. This module will introduce students to the critical reading of landscape through an interdisciplinary approach. The Irish landscape is the product of a complex and historically dynamic interaction between environment, society, culture and ideology. This elective will provide you with insights and tools to enable you to have a more critical and nuanced understanding of Irish Landscapes.
What will I learn?
- How to critically explore and read landscape and in particular Irish landscapes
- How different academic disciplines approach understanding landscape: Geoscience, Geography, History, Literary Studies, History of Art, Cartography and others
- How to use a digital tool to construct an imaginative and reflective spatial narrative regarding a particular Irish landscape
What will I do?
- Participate in lectures from a range of disciplinary perspectives. These lectures will require prior reading and class participation
- Read extensively in the conceptual and theoretical literature on landscape and also on the particulars of different disciplinary perspectives on Irish landscapes.
- Construct a spatial narrative regarding a particular landscape using the StoryMap digital tool.
How will this be delivered?
- Lectures, with required readings for each class and class participation – 6 hours
- Group work in workshops relating to the construction of a digital spatial narrative -6 hours
- The balance of the student input will come through reading and work on the StoryMap spatial narrative.
How will this be assessed?
- Digital spatial narrative constructed through a series of workshops – 60%.
- A number of continuous assessment exercises in lectures and workshops including a Group presentation on the StoryMap spatial narrative – 35%
- Due to the participative nature of the workshop components, there will be credit for satisfactory attendance at classes – 5%.
Who can take this Trinity Elective?
- Any student eligible to take a Trinity Elective can select this Trinity Elective.