Definition of Environmental Information
The definition of “environmental information” in the AIE Regulations covers information “in written, visual, aural, electronic or any other material form”. It identifies six separate categories of information dealing with:
- the state of the elements of the environment (e.g. air, water, soil, land, landscape, biological diversity);
- factors affecting, or likely to affect, the elements of the environment (e.g. energy, noise, radiation, waste, other releases into the environment);
- measures designed to protect the elements of the environment (e.g. policies, legislation, plans, programmes, environmental agreements);
- reports on the implementation of environmental legislation;
- analyses and assumptions used within the framework of measures designed to protect the environment; and
- the state of human health and safety, the food chain, cultural sites and built structures inasmuch as they may be affected by the elements of the environment.