Computational and Media Engineering
We operate across the spectrum from Statistical Signal Processing algorithm research to Digital hardware design and digital media applications. Work in digital media applications includes spatial audio for VR, speech analysis and understanding, and visual algorithms for cinema post production. Fundamental work in Bayesian inference underpins much of what we do.
The groups involved have had fantastic success in the last five years in embedding technologies into mass market platforms owned by Google and YouTube. In addition, our visual algorithms research is used by every post production house working on movies today.
The course in MMT provides a symbiotic link with the music creation sector.
This sector hosts about 20 PhD students and 5 postdocs. We also participate in EU research projects and SFI Research centres. Together with strong industrial links this income has averaged to about 1M€ per year.
- Prof. F. M. Boland - audio acoustics, sound localisation, e-learning.
- Prof. A. C. Kokaram - image processing, video restoration, digital television.
- Dr. D. J. Furlong - psychoacoustics, music technology, ambient sound technology.
- Dr. A. P. Quinn - speech recognition, speech synthesis, Bayesian techniques.
- Dr. N. Harte - video processing, speech recognition, digital systems design.
- Dr. F. Pitié - signal media processing.