Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here About > FAQs



What is Energy Science?

Did you know that today fossil fuels represent 82% of the world energy supply?  Replacing fossil fuels with renewable forms of energy is a global priority laid out by the Paris Climate Agreement. The MSc in Energy Science from Trinity is an exciting new programme which is designed to train a new generation of students to tackle the global challenge of developing renewable alternatives, from wind and solar electricity, to combustion of biomass, biofuels and hydrogen energy.

When should I apply?

The application system opens the 1st November for each September start.  

What documents do I need to apply?

Your transcripts, your CV, letters of recommendation and proof of English are required to secure an unconditional offer. Avoid attaching school results and other miscellaneous, documents. Focus your efforts on meeting the entry criteria as outlined.

What if I don’t have all my documents?

You can apply with the evidence you do have. You may be successful in securing a conditional offer pending final transcripts or proof of English.

I haven’t completed my degree yet, can I apply?

Yes, many applicants are in their final year of studies therefore can only supply the most recent transcript, you should not delay in your application. It’s best to secure a conditional offer and then meet the conditions at a later date.

What is the closing date for programmes?

You should apply as early as possible for the programme as places on this course are limited.  

Can I apply for a programme before I finish my degree?

Yes, candidates who are in their final year of their undergraduate degree should apply before getting their final results. Your previous results and transcripts will be used to review your suitability. If successful you will get a conditional offer (pending your final results).

Can I apply for a programme before I undertake an English proficiency test?

Yes, there is a section on the application form to enter a test date for your English proficiency test. If the selection committee review your application favourably they may issue a ‘conditional offer’ pending your result.

Can I upload documents after I have submitted my application?

Yes, extra documents and evidence can be uploaded to your application after submission.

Do I need to do GMAT?

This is not a standard requirement, although the selection committee reserve the right to request it in certain cases.

I am not sure if my degree is eligible for entry?

We receive applications from all over the world and from all disciplines. Once your university or institute is recognised and accredited locally, we can convert your qualification to check you make the grade.

Is there an English language requirement for entry into Postgraduate Courses?

All applicants whose first language is not English and who have not been educated through the medium of English must present one of the following qualifications in the English language:
IELTS: Grade 6.5;
TOEFL: 88 - iBT, 230 - Computer based, 570 - paper based;
Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English: Grade C;
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English: Grade C;
Pearson Test of English (Academic) - PTE Academic: a minimum score of 63 (with no section score below 59).

Please note that test scores are only valid for 2 years. For further details on these English Language Proficiency Tests, please contact the appropriate organisation directly.

The Application Process

How long do I have to complete my application?

You can create your username and login as often as needed to complete the form and attach your documents. The process should not take longer then 30 minutes providing you have all your documents available and have thought about a personal statement.

Do I need to complete all areas of the application form?

Yes, try answer all areas so the selection committee know as much as possible about you. If there is an area that does not apply to you, enter ‘n/a’ in the field.

Is there a postal version of the application?

No, all applications are processed via the online portal.

Can I get an application fee waiver?

No, unfortunately all candidates need to pay the application fee.

What is an official English translated transcript?

If your transcript is issued in another language, you need to go to a certified translation company to create an English version.

Can I change the programme I applied for?

No, but you can re-apply for another programme.

Accepting Your Place and Fee Payment

What do I do if I receive an offer?

If you receive a conditional or unconditional offer, it’s important you log-in to MyTCD portal , accept your place and pay your deposit of €500. Please note that the deposit is non-refundable.

  • If you have a conditional offer, ensure you understand your requirements.  As you complete outstanding conditions (IELTS, final transcripts) continue to use the application portal to upload the documents.

Am I classed as an EU or Non EU student for Fees purposes?

Please contact the Academic Registry with queries on your status as an EU or non-EU student. Trinity will invoice EU fees if you are based in the EU for the last 3 years or more.

How long do I have to accept my offer?

You have 21 days to accept and pay a non-refundable deposit of €500.00.

When do I need to pay my fees?

EU students can pay their fees in two equal instalments. August and January of the academic year. Non-EU students need to pay all fees in August. Please note that you may need to pay fees earlier if you require a pre-arrival visa. Please refer to your visa office guidelines.

Can I get my deposit back if I do not accept my offer?

No, if you change your mind the deposit is non-refundable. However, if you fail to meet outstanding entry requirements then a refund can be requested from academic registry.

Can I defer my place?

Deferrals are issued on a case by case basis and need to be requested. We can usually accommodate this request.

Where can I find information on accommodation?

University accommodation is available on and off campus. Postgraduate students can apply for accommodation on and off-campus. You can find more information at and Overseas students coming to Dublin for the first time can apply for temporary accommodation on the College campus while they search for long term accommodation. Trinity also offers some helpful maps (of Dublin, of City Centre, of campus) online: Further information is provided in the Student Welcome Guide.

What are the total fees required for my programme?

Please check back to see the full list of postgraduate fees.

If I want to accept a place on the programme but do not wish to pay a deposit yet, how can I secure my place?

No, it is not possible to secure your place without paying the deposit. If you have any queries about this, please contact the Academic Registry.

Where can I get a receipt for fees paid?

Students have the ability to print receipts for any fees paid from the “My Finance” section of their portal. The Academic Registry can provide copies of these receipts if you require a stamped & signed version. Please note that these receipts can only be requested by the student and are in the same format as those available on the portal.

When do I need to pay fees for the academic year 2022/23?

For updated fee information, please visit Academic Registry’s fee page here. 

How do I pay my course fees/ course deposit?

Your invoice will be raised on the portal and is viewable in your in-tray and in your My Finance tab.

  • Online Credit/Laser card payment via your portal.

    Please quote student number as the reference.

I am a Non EU student and I need to apply for a Visa. How can I get a fees receipt?

Once the student has made any payment in regards to fees their receipt will be available to print from the portal. If required this same receipt can be requested from the Academic Registry which will also be stamped and signed.

Do I pay an application fee?

Yes, the application fee for postgraduate programmes is a non-refundable fee of €55. 

Do I have to pay the €8.00 USI Levy?
The USI levy is an optional charge. 

What happens if I register late for a course in TCD?
This is a fee penalty of €212 for students who register beyond the deadline. You will be notified of this via your portal. Students who fail to register will be made withdrawn from their course and will have to apply for readmission.

This fee is part of the terms and conditions of registration and is detailed in the College Calendar.

It is the responsibility of the student to ensure they are registered in a timely fashion.

Can I claim tax relief on my tuition fees?

Tax relief applies to full time and part time undergraduate students who are paying a tuition fee. The undergraduate student contribution, student Sports Centre charge and the USI levy are not a tuition fee.

Can I claim Tax relief on Student Contribution?

Families with two or more children liable for the new student contribution will qualify for tax relief on payments arising from second and subsequent sibling liability.  Please see Revenue Information Leaflet IT31 for further information.


Can I stay in Ireland after I complete my studies to seek employment?

Ireland is one of the only European countries to provide a two year graduate work visa. The Irish Third Level Graduate scheme exists to allow legally resident non-EEA third level graduates to remain in Ireland for the purpose of seeking employment and applying for a green card or work permit. The Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service provide full details and FAQs on their website. Click here to learn more. The Trinity Careers Service also provides information. Click here to find out more.