Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

Visas & Immigration - Frequently Asked Questions

1. **Update 09 December 2022**

The Immigration Services Registration Office Burgh Quay Dublin is currently experiencing a very large volume of applications with a current processing time to renew an IRP card of 5-6 weeks. Following the completion of the renewal of Registration it may take a further two weeks to receive the new IRP card via post.

To facilitate Non EEA Nationals legally resident in the State who are required to renew their current permission and who wish to travel internationally during the Christmas period, the Minister is issuing a Travel Confirmation Notice requesting carriers to allow individuals to travel on their recently expired IRP card where an application to renew their IRP card was submitted in advance of the expiry date of their IRP card.

Non EEA Nationals in the State who are required to apply for a renewal of their IRP card may use their current recently expired IRP card to enable them to travel in confidence from 9 December 2022 to 31 January 2023, provided an application to renew their registration permission was submitted in advance of the expiry date of their IRP Card.

This Travel Confirmation Notice is valid from 09 December 2022 to 31 January 2023 only.


  • Customers should download and print this notice and present it, along with their expired IRP card, and proof of renewal application (email confirmation which details the date of application and OREG number) to immigration authorities and airlines if requested to do so
  • The Department will continue to process applications for online renewals
  • The Department will advise all airlines and foreign missions of the initiatives in place
  • Further details on these arrangements can be found here.

For new updates, see the Department of Justice’s Irish Immigration site and Immigration Registration FAQS:

Immigration (Last updated January 2023)

Please note that INIS has changed its name to Immigration Service Delivery (ISD)

2. I am a non-EU student. How do I register with the Immigration Service Delivery (ISD) for the first time?

If you are living in Dublin, to register with ISD for the first time, non-EU students must book and attend an appointment in person at the Burgh Quay Registration Office
The process and required documents are outlined here.
The appointment booking site can be found here. It must be booked by calling 1800 800 630.
If you are living outside of Dublin, please see here about how to make an appointment. If you have additional questions, contact the Global Room team:
*Please ensure to stay updated on Covid-19 restrictions and protocol for your appointment on the ISD website.

3. How long does the processing of registering with ISD for the first time take, starting from the valid application to the return of the verified documents?

Registration with immigration involves making an appointment via phoning system, attending an ISD registration appointment with all required documents, having your passport stamped and having the Stamp 2 Irish Residence Permit (IRP) card sent to the student’s Dublin address. The appointment itself takes up to 90 minutes and the IRP card is sent within 10 to15 working days. If you don’t receive your IRP card over this timeframe, please get in touch with the ISD or us immediately.

The length of time it takes to get an appointment depends on the availability of appointments at any given time. Students can book an appointment here (for students residing in Dublin only) and here for students residing outside of Dublin).

Updates will be made available on the ISD website.

4. I’m planning on coming to Ireland as most teaching is to be in person, what documents do I need to bring with me to show at the airport?

Students will need a valid IRP card or visa, passport as well as a visa letter from the Academic Registry.

To get this letter from the Academic Registry, follow these steps:

  1. Log in to the portal
  2. Click on the ‘my student record tab’
  3. You will be presented with a link to print a PDF version of the Immigration/Visa Letter.

5. Is the ISD Registration office open? Where can I find up to date immigration information for students?

The ISD registration office is currently open for students to register for the first time, please see the ISD Website to make an appointment.

For students who have previously registered with ISD and wish to renew, you can do so online only. Students with new passports can now renew online by providing a scanned copy of the biopage of their passport. Please see more information here. The ISD renewal website can be found here.

Full updates and notices can be found on the ISD website.. ISD have also developed more extensive FAQs.

If you have additional questions, contact the Global Room team:

6. I am coming to Ireland for my second year of study, but did not get to register with ISD for an Irish Residence Permit (IRP) card while in first year, what do I need for entry into Ireland?

If you are a non-EU non visa required student, you will need to present your Trinity visa letter at the airport. Please also see here for other documents you may need at the airport. To get this letter from the Academic Registry, follow these steps:

  1. Log in to the portal
  2. Click on the ‘my student record tab’
  3. You will be presented with a link to print a PDF version of the Immigration/Visa Letter.

Visa-required students who have left the country without registering with ISD for an Irish Residence Permit (IRP) Card will have to re-apply for a study visa to re-enter the country. Please mention on your application that you are a student and wish to return to continue your studies after having to leave Ireland due to Covid-19 restrictions. Requirements may vary depending on the country, so please contact your local Irish Embassy or Visa Office for more information.

If you have additional questions, contact the Global Room team:

7. I studied for most of or all of 2020/2021 remotely from my home country due to travel restrictions and my IRP card expired while studying from abroad. Can I enter on my expired IRP card? If not, what do I need to return to Ireland?

If you are coming from a visa required and have travelled on an expired IRP card or your IRP card expired while you were outside Ireland, you will need to apply to your local Visa Office/Embassy for a re-entry visa to allow you travel back to Ireland. IMPORTANT: You should not attempt to travel without a visa if your IRP card is out of date – you may be refused boarding by the airline and may have difficulties at border control and/or in transit. For further information on applying for a visa, see here.

8. Can students who are not in Ireland and are unable to travel, but have their IRP cards expiring within the next 30 days apply for a renewal online from their own countries as well? If yes, what needs to be done?

No. To register with ISD, students must be in the country. If a student is visa required and wishes to enter the country, they will need to apply for another visa. For further information on applying for a visa, see here.

Graduating Students

9. I recently graduated and want to apply for a Stamp 1G (Third level graduate scheme). How do I go about applying for it?

Students can now apply for the Stamp 1G by using the ISD online renewal system, if you live in Dublin (this does not apply to students who live outside of Dublin). More information on how to apply can be found here.

Further updates can be found on the ISD Website Further general information on the 3rd Level Graduate Scheme is here:

If you have additional questions, contact the Global Room team:

10. I have recently graduated and am looking for employment. I’m currently in the process of applying for the Stamp 1G, can I still work full time on my stamp 2 while waiting for my stamp 1G

Students on a stamp 2 IRP card are only permitted to work full time (40 hours per week) until September 30th. Students will need to apply for the stamp 1G as soon as results are received to continue to work full time in Ireland. More information can be found here.

Further updates can be found on the ISD Website.

If you have additional questions, contact the Global Room team:

11. I am currently back in my home country and have recently finished my course. Can I apply for the stamp 1G from my home country?

ISD has provided a temporary measure for applying for students who wish to apply from the stamp 1G but have been in their home country due to Covid-19 restrictions. Please see more details on the temporary measure here.

Further updates can be found on the INIS website here.

If you have additional questions, contact the Global Room team:

12. I have been studying remotely from my home country for most of (or all) my final year/postgraduate year, can I still apply for stamp 1G?

Yes, you can apply for the stamp 1G even if most of your study for this year was done remotely. For final year students, you may renew online from Dublin as outlined above. Students who have studied remotely from their home country for the whole duration of their course (one-year postgraduate student) will have to register in person, so will need to come to Ireland to register in person. For students currently studying remotely, they can apply for the Third level Graduate programme (1G), when they successfully complete their course (summer 2021) and will have to provide the following documentation:

  • Letter from their higher education institution stating that they were a student for the academic year 2020/2021.
  • Letter from their higher education institution stating that this course was taught 100% remotely, and that they were not required to attend classes in person.
  • Letter from the relevant awarding body or institution that they have achieved the award for which they were enrolled as a student.

In addition to the above criteria, students who will have completed a one-year master's with an Irish higher education institution and were unable to travel to Ireland to register their permission as a student in the State (for academic year 2020/2021), will have to travel to Ireland prior to the issuance of their final results in order to register their permission and qualify for the Third Level Graduate Programme. These students should delay their arrival until the Autumn, shortly before they receive their results.

When students are returning to Ireland for essential academic purposes, or to avail of the Third Level Graduate Programme in the Autumn, it is extremely important that they comply with all current public health requirements and the key principles adopted by the Higher Education sector outlining the procedures in place to safely manage international students’ arrival into Ireland to study, which were introduced as a result of Covid-19.

More information and updates can be found here.

If you have additional questions, contact the Global Room team:

13. Now that most students would be converting into a Stamp 1G, what is the type of private health insurance that is acceptable?

For converting to the Stamp 1G permission, as long as insurance meets ISD requirements (see here), it should suffice. As moving on to a Stamp 1G (or extending a stamp 2) would be considered a type of renewal, students will have to purchase Health Insurance from an Irish company.

Here is a sample list of insurance companies:

More information on Health Insurance requirements for immigration can be found here.

14. I couldn’t find the answer to my questions on this FAQ, how can I contact the Global Room?

Please be sure to keep an eye on our Facebook (@Global Room Trinity College Dublin) and Instagram (@tcdglobalroom) for more details. Otherwise, please email with your query, or feel free to drop in to the Global Room between 10am and 5pm (Irish Time) on weekdays during term.

Visas (Last updated December 2022):

15. I have been offered a place on a course at Trinity College and do not yet have a visa, what do I do?

If you have yet to be granted a visa and intend on joining a course at Trinity this year, please contact your regional manager immediately. You can find their contact details from this page, by using the “choose your country/region” button. You will see names and contact details of the staff who can advise on visa applications under “Contact us”.

16. I have applied for and been granted my study visa for Ireland, but due to travel restrictions, I am unable to travel, and my entry visa will expire soon. Can my entry visa be extended, or will I have to submit a new visa application?

If your visa expires before you are able to travel to Ireland, you will have to submit a new visa application. Depending on the period of time that has passed and the circumstances of the particular case, the Visa Office may consider waiving the fee for the later application or may be able to process your new application more quickly. Please contact your regional team (as in 15, above) for more advice.

17. I am unable to arrive in time for the start of Semester 2, what do I need to do?

Student requests for delayed arrival in the first few weeks of Semester 1 and to study remotely during that time will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Undergraduate students: please contact your Tutor or the Senior Tutor’s Office.

Postgraduate students: please contact Course Director directly.

Facilitation of such requests cannot be guaranteed as it may not be possible in terms of the delivery of the programme outcomes or mode of assessment.