Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here Orientation > FAQs

Orientation FAQs

How do I connect my laptop or mobile device to the Wi-Fi or wired network in Trinity?

Information on connecting your personal laptop or mobile device to the TCD network can be found on the IT Service website

Where can I find information regarding Local Authority Grants?

Information on Higher Education Grants from your local authority can be found at:

How can I get a letter from College to certify I am a registered student?

You may request a letter clarifying your registration status by logging on to and clicking the ASK AR button or by contacting the Academic Registry.

How can I get an official college stamp for my loan documentation?

The Academic Registry is the only place in College where this can be done. Please contact them on 01 896 4500 or at the Academic Registry, Watts Building, College.

What documents do I need for ID card collection?

You need your confirmation slip from your online registration and proof of ID (Passport/ Birth Certificate/ Driver's Licence). If you have been to this University before, please bring your old student card.

Where does ID card collection take place?

The Exam Hall, aka the Public Theatre, during Postgraduate Orientation and Freshers Week (Please see the College Map for further details)

Will I receive a lecture room location map?

There is one available on the TCD home page (See College Maps)

Do I pay the Sports Centre charge and Student Union levy if I have been approved for a grant?

Yes, if you are a grant recipient, you will still need to pay the Sports Centre charge of €120 and the Student Union charge of €8.

Can I use Gym/Sports facilities during Orientation Week?

Once you have collected your ID card you can use the Sports Centre facilities. Call into the Sports Centre reception to get your card validated.

Will I receive a hard copy orientation pack in post?

You will receive a welcome guide in the post, and specific information for your course is available on the Orientation website

Is proof of fee payment required for ID card collection?

Once you pay your fees and register online, you will receive a confirmation slip through the portal. Please print this out and bring it with you for ID Card Collection in the Exam Hall.

What stalls/events will there be during Freshers' Week?

If you take a stroll through Front Square in your first week of College you will see plenty of stalls. Most of these will be Clubs and Societies which you can join if you wish. The Students' Unions have jam-packed entertainment schedules during Freshers' week. Please visit the website at

How do I find out when my lectures are?

Check your teaching timetable on the portal

How do I print and make photocopies in College?

An overview of the central printing, scanning and photocopying service can be found at

Are there any awards/scholarships available for students on taught postgraduate courses?

All College studentships, scholarships and awards relate to the research register. Some Schools may however offer course specific scholarships. You should go to your School's website for further information.

What is the Student Assistance Fund?

The Student Assistance Fund is intended to tackle disadvantage by providing financial support to disadvantaged postgraduate students who require additional financial support to enable them to fully benefit from their third-level studies, especially those students who experience emergencies such as unexpected medical bills etc. The fund cannot be used for tuition fees, loans, bursaries, REACH grants or funding for students participating on Access Courses / Foundation Courses. This fund is open to all registered students, on both taught and research courses of not less than one-year duration leading to a postgraduate qualification. It is provided for under the National Development Plan and the European Social Fund (ESF). The SAF will be advertised by the Graduate Studies Office once notification has been received from the ESF. The Graduate Studies Office will email all postgraduate students to inform them when the fund is open, so it is important to check your Trinity College Dublin emails regularly.
Contact Details: Graduate Studies Office: Academic Registry

How do I open a bank account?

To open any bank account, you are required by law to show valid proof of identity, complete with photograph and proof of address. It is easiest to open a bank account with the Bank of Ireland branch on Campus or Allied Irish Bank (AIB) on Westmoreland Street, Dublin 2 as these branches will accept a letter from the College as proof of address. This letter will confirm you are a registered Trinity College student and should list your home and Dublin addresses. You can obtain this letter from the College after arrival. There are normally no fees charged on student bank accounts.

Where is the Disability office?

The Student Disability Service is the support service for students with disability or special learning difficulties. Students requiring support from Trinity College due to the impact of their disability or specific learning difficulty are advised to contact the Service as early as possible to explore what supports can be provided. Please see the Disability website for further information

How can the Careers Advisory Service help me?

Based in South Leinster Street, you can arrange to meet with a careers consultant if you’re unsure if you chose the right college course or want to discuss anything related to your career.

Where can I buy a Student Leap Card to get cheaper travel on public transport?

Student Leap Cards can be obtained in the Students Union, House 6, Front Square, on campus. Further information on the Student Travel Card can be found here

Where can I eat on campus?

Trinity does not operate a meal plan, however the Catering Department provides a number of food and snack outlets throughout the campus. There are two restaurants on campus for students: the Dining Hall, the Buttery. In addition there are several coffee shops serving sandwiches, snacks and Fairtrade hot drinks. The Pavilion Bar serves hot snacks and drinks and hot food is also available in the Junior Common Room in Goldsmith Hall. Further information can be found on the Catering website
As Trinity College is in the centre of Dublin city, there is an abundance of cafes, restaurants and bars within walking distance of the campus. Please note that students housed in Trinity accommodation will have access to self-catering facilities if they wish to prepare their own meals.

What happens if I get sick?

All full-time registered students are eligible to use the College Health Service throughout the year. Detailed information regarding services can be accessed on the College Health Service website. Student consultations are free of charge with modest fees for additional services.

Where can I buy household items?

For grocery shopping it is best to go to the big supermarkets like Dunnes Stores, Tesco, Supervalu, Marks & Spencers, Aldi and Lidl, all of which are located throughout Dublin city and suburbs. The closest supermarkets to Trinity are Dunnes Stores in the St. Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre at the top of Grafton Street, Marks & Spencer on Grafton Street, Tesco on Fleet Street, Tesco on Upper Baggot Street, Tesco in the Jervis Shopping Centre, Lidl on Moore Street and Aldi on Parnell Square. For household items like bed linen, crockery, etc., Dunnes Stores in the St. Stephen’s Green Shopping Centre has an excellent, inexpensive range. In general, there are excellent shopping facilities in and around Dublin. Further information can be found at