- Postgraduate Fees & Finances
- Internal postgraduate funding
- External postgraduate funding
- Supplementary funding opportunities
|Ussher Fellowships||Fees plus 13,000 Euro||3 Years||Incoming students|
|Teaching Studentships||Fees plus up to 14,000 Euro||
|Incoming and continuing students|
|Grattan Scholarships||Fees plus 20,000 Euro||4 Years||Incoming students|
|Global Excellence Scholarships||5,000 Euro||1 Year||Incoming Non EU students (Taught Masters only)|
A small number of postgraduate fellowships are made by Trinity College Dublin annually to exceptionally highly qualified candidates to enable them to undertake postgraduate studies in the University of Dublin. The Fellowships aim to support and develop gifted research students. They are awarded competitively on academic merit. The Fellowship fully covers EU and non-EU fees and provides an annual maintenance of 13,000 Euro for three years. An application for an Ussher Fellowship award must be submitted together with your complete application form for admission to Trinity College Dublin.
Teaching studentships are available to new entrants as well as continuing full-time PhD students. The awards aim to support and develop gifted research students. The studentship fully covers EU and non-EU fees and – depending on the teaching load – up to 14,000 Euro for a year. Teaching studentships entail marking essays arising out of a particular course and moderating class discussions (tutorials). Application to become a teaching assistant should be made by students to the Head of Department, following any department-specific procedures that may be in place.
The Grattan Scholarship Programme has been established with the generous support of Trinity College alumni and friends with the aim of advancing cutting-edge social science research and teaching. In a rapidly changing global environment such knowledge is central to our economic and social wellbeing, growth and development. The Grattan Scholars are a cohort of exceptional PhD students whose work will have a real impact on Trinity College and in helping to understand the evolving challenges facing society. Teaching is also an important part of the Scholars remit, contributing to the academic life of the School while enriching the students' learning opportunities. Each scholarship is fully-funded, covering fees and an annual stipend of 20,000 Euro for four years.
Several scholarships valued at 5,000 Euro each, applied as a reduction of the tuition fees of a full-time postgraduate taught programme, are being offered to applicants on the MSc in Comparative Social Change and the MPhil in Race, Ethnicity, Conflict. The scholarships are for non-EU students only. Applicants must have submitted an application to be eligible. The scholarship will be assessed based on academic achievement, and evaluation of the applicants’ potential to contribute to the overall TCD community. Please submit your scholarship request as follows: Email your TCD application number, CV and a 300-word statement on "How I will contribute to our Trinity College Dublin community” to Global Relations at firstname.lastname@example.org and ensure the subject line reads: your name and "Global Excellence PG Scholarships". The deadline is 31 March of each year.
There are various sources of external post-graduate funding. One such external funding opportunity is the Irish Research Council (IRC). Applicants must be nationals of a member country of the European Union. They should already be, or will be during the forthcoming year, registered in a recognised third-level institution as full-time postgraduate research students pursuing degrees by major thesis. Scholarships are awarded initially for one year, but subject to terms and conditions, may be renewable for up to two additional years. The scholarship covers EU fees and provides an annual maintenance of about 16,000 Euro. The scholarship is unrelated to teaching.Back to top
Assistant Examiner/Exam Marking
In addition, departments may be able to offer the role of assistant examiner to a small number of teaching assistants. This entails marking exam scripts from 1st and 2nd year undergraduate courses under the direction of the lecturer responsible for the course.
A regular source of funding for postgraduate students comes from performing research assistance work as part of various projects, especially research projects of their supervisors. Students are strongly encouraged to enquire about and pursue such possibilities with their supervisors.
Funding for conference travel
A fund for conference travel exists through the Trinity Trust Travel Grant Award Scheme. This fund covers 90% of the costs associated with conference travel, provided the department agrees to pay the other 10%.
The Department of Sociology is not bound by any error in or, omission from the above information.