The Department currently participates in 20 international non-EU exchanges. Places are limited to 2-4 students per university, and a total of about 20-25 for the various University of California campuses. Unlike with Erasmus, the minimum academic requirement is an Upper Second (II.1). You are competing against fellow Trinity students from other departments.
Please note that these are non-fee-paying exchanges and therefore a great opportunity for you to study for half a year or a full year at some of the best universities outside Europe. Most of our partners are in the Top 50 according to the latest Times Higher Education Supplement Global University Ranking. You need to be aware however that there are costs involved for overseas flights as well as accommodation and maintenance.
The following international exchanges are currently available to Sociology students (as part of a TCD wide selection process based on JF grades and a motivational essay):
- Australian National University – Department of Sociology, International Office
- University of Melbourne – Department of Sociology, International Office
- McGill University – Department of Sociology, International Office
- University of Toronto – Department of Sociology, Centre for International Experience
- National University Singapore – Department of Sociology, International Students Section
- New York University – Department of Sociology, International Office
- Boston College – Department of Sociology, International Office
- University of Pennsylvania – Department of Sociology, International Student Services
- Georgetown University – Department of Sociology, International Student Services
- University of Massachusetts – Department of Sociology, International Programs Office
- University of California – details available from Trinity’s International Office
- University of Chicago – Department of Sociology, Office of International Affairs
- UNC Chapel Hill – Department of Sociology, International Student Services
- University of Notre Dame – Department of Sociology, International Student Affairs
- Barnard College New York – Department of Sociology, International Office
- Tokyo University – Department of Sociology, Division of International Affairs
- Beihang University – School of Social Sciences, International Office
- Peking University – Department of Sociology, Office of International Relations
- Tsinghua University – Department of Sociology, International Students Office
The University of California (UC) system includes the campuses at Berkeley, Los Angeles, Davis, Irvine, Merced, Riverside, Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, and San Diego. Successful Trinity applicants will be given a link to the UC on-line application form. You are then asked to identify three campuses of your choice and prepare a study plan for each. However, there is no guarantee that you can go to one of your three preferred campuses.
Applications for non-EU college-wide exchanges must be made through International Admissions and Study Abroad at TCD and not to the individual university in question. Further details including the College-wide application form is available here. Please make sure you study this link very carefully.
Following selection at Trinity, you need to consult departmental and institutional pages of your host university and also enquire whether you need to register on modules by a specific deadline. The onus is on you to liaise with the relevant administrative staff at the host institution and also with the International Admissions and Study Abroad staff here at Trinity College.
Please discuss the possibility of a non-EU International Exchange with your parents during Michaelmas Term, making sure you understand the financial implications and commitments involved in going abroad. Note that the Department of Sociology operates a very strict cancellation policy. Once you have been selected you can only withdraw from an exchange in the most exceptional cases with a medical certificate or tutor note submitted to the Sociology Office.
If you have any questions about our International Exchange programme in Sociology please do not hesitate to contact me on email@example.com but make sure you have studied this website and all the links carefully first.
Erasmus and Visiting Student Coordinator