Filming and photography on campus
Trinity wishes to publicise its teaching, research and student life activities to as wide an audience as possible. The university is also conscious that its historic campus is part of our national heritage – a heritage which should be shared with the citizens of Dublin and visitors. Media broadcasts are one form of communication through which the university can communicate with large audiences and Trinity welcomes the opportunity to work with programme makers in recording their broadcasts on campus whenever the opportunity arises.
Trinity receives many requests for photographic sessions or to film and record programme material on campus and in order to facilitate and manage these applications, with minimal disruption to the work of the university, Trinity has in place procedures which, if followed, will ensure that the photographer or broadcaster secures the best possible outcome by way of facilities and support from the university. At all times Trinity will endeavour to facilitate the needs of the photographer or broadcaster when considering these requests.
Any company or individual seeking permission to film/photograph/record television, radio and/or video broadcasts on any property owned by, or under the control of, Trinity College Dublin must send a written proposal in advance to Trinity Communications.
A proposal for all filming/photography projects organised by a Trinity College Dublin department or area must be sent through to the Trinity Communications office giving as much notice as possible for us to liaise with Estates & Facilities.
Notice of at least 1 week must be given. Only in the most exceptional circumstances will consideration be given to requests for which 1 week notice is not possible.
Each request should outline:
- Nature of the filming/recording/photography and, if freelance, details of who the work is being carried out on behalf of
- Intended audiences and transmissions/usage
- Proposed location(s) – please see the Trinity maps
- Equipment which will be used
- Number of personnel in crew
- Date(s) on which it is intended to film/record/photograph
- Crew arrival time and the estimated duration of the filming/recording/photography
- Contact details of requestor and of a member of the crew who will be on site
- If vehicle access or parking is required please provide the make and registration number of the vehicle as well as the driver’s name and phone number - please note only one parking space per crew will be allocated, and parking on campus may not be available at all during certain times.
- Find out about insurance requirement guidelines (PDF).
The university will assess all proposals and endeavour to advise the requestor of the outcome within five working days of the receipt of the request.
If a request is approved, the filming organiser will have to complete an EMP Event Management Plan / Risk Assessment .
Please send any requests for filming and photography in the Old Library to firstname.lastname@example.org
For filming and photography of manuscripts please contact the Manuscripts & Archives Research Library.
No film/recording/photography crews will be admitted to any Trinity property without the appropriate confirmation from the Public Affairs and Communications Office.