Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

What is a GP?

A General Practitioner is a fully qualified Doctor who has specialised In Family Medical after graduation as a Doctor.  At College Health, the GPs are the first point of clinical contact for patients for any type of medical problem. Student Health GPs have particular interest in Contraception, Sexual Health, Mental Health, Sports Injuries, Student Occupational Health Screening, Acute and Chronic Disease management, Health Promotion, Travel Medicine and Minor Surgery.

They work as part of a team at College Health alongside their Nursing colleagues, a Nurse Prescriber, a Physiotherapist, Psychiatrist and Community Psychiatric Nurse, in addition to the Administration Team and Health Promotion Officer. GPs, with the consent of their patients, work in collaboration with colleagues form other student services, particularly, Student Counselling and the College Disability Service and may treat patients entirely at the College Health Service or refer the patient to a Hospital Consultant for specialist advice or treatment.

What is a Psychiatrist?

A Psychiatrist is a medical doctor who, on completion of their medical degree, undertakes a further 6-year period of specialist training in the diagnosis and treatment of mental disorder. Their education and clinical training equip them to understand the complex relationship between psychiatric and other medical illnesses by incorporating variables, including genetics, developmental and family history, into their assessment, in order to formulate a diagnosis and treatment plan.  People seek psychiatric help for many reasons. The problems can be sudden, such as a panic attack, thoughts of suicide. Or they may be more long- term, such as feelings of sadness, hopelessness, or anxiousness that never seem to lift, or problems functioning, causing everyday life to feel distorted or out of control. Some people may seek assessment and treatment for neurodevelopmental disorders such as ADHD or ASD.  Psychiatrists use a variety of treatments – including various forms of psychotherapy, medication or psychosocial interventions, depending on the needs of each patient. 

Most medications are used by Psychiatrists in much the same way that medications are used to treat high blood pressure or diabetes. After completing thorough evaluations, Psychiatrists can prescribe medications to help treat mental disorders. Patients on long-term medication treatment will need to meet with their Psychiatrist periodically to monitor the effectiveness of the medication and any potential side effects. Psychiatrists often work closely with other medical professionals including General Practitioners and General Physicians as well as other disciplines such as Occupational Therapists and Psychotherapists.

The College Psychiatrist see students following referral from a College Health GP.

How do I book an appointment?

Booking an appointment: Please phone us on 01 8961591 or 01 8961556 or 01 8968555.

We run a same day emergency clinic each morning and afternoon. While we will endeavour to give you a same day emergency appointment, we cannot guarantee availability always due to the high demand on our services. In this case you can contact the following DUB DOC.

Why can’t I get through on the phone?

We understand that phone lines can be difficult to get through, this is due to a large volume of calls. Please bear with us, we apologise for this inconvenience.

How can I get my records transferred to a new health care provider?

Information is only provided to third parties with the patient's consent.

Please fill out the following form Medical Record Request after you have completed this form, please attach and email to

For any questions on how your data is stored and managed please click this link College Health Service Privacy Statement.

I have just arrived in College and I am worried about my mental health. What can I do?

Please click this link for supports.

In the event of a critical mental health emergency please call College Health directly on 01 8968555 or 01 896 4725

Do I need to book a STI test?

  • you have any symptoms which suggest an STI
  • your partner has an STI
  • you have a new sexual partner
  • you have more than one sexual partner

What does the test involve?

The type of test will depend on your symptoms.

For men, you will be asked to give a urine sample into a small bottle. Men should not urinate (pee) for two hours before giving a urine sample. Sometimes a swab is used to take a sample from inside the top of the penis. This will depend on what your symptoms are and will be explained to you by the doctor or nurse seeing you.

Sometimes swabs will also be taken from your throat or rectum (back passage).

A swab is like a cotton bud.

For women, a swab is taken from the vagina. This can be done by your healthcare provider and sometimes by yourself.

Women and men will also have blood tests to check for viral or bacterial infections.

Further information is available in the patient information leaflet  Your Guide to Sexually Transmitted Infections.

Where can I get an test?

  • Free home STI testing is available through the HSE, click here for more information.
  • Through The College Health Service by phoning 01 8961591,018961556, 01 896855 - click this link for more information College Health STI Clinic
  • You can attend a public STI or GUM (genito-urinary medicine) clinic. All STI testing and treatment in public sexual health or GUM clinics is provided free of charge. Click here for a list of public STI clinics.
  • STI testing is also available through many GPs, or private services for a fee. Some NGOs or student health services may provide STI testing for free or at a reduced rate.


Can I see a Physiotherapist?

Yes, College Health also provides Physiotherapist services. This can be booked by phoning College Health on 01 8961591, 01 8961556 or 01 8968555.

Do I need a doctor’s referral to see a Physio?

No, you can self refer.

Can I see the Physio straight after an injury?

Yes, early intervention contributes to quicker recovery.

Is Physiotherapy covered by health insurance?

It is partially covered with most plans.