Computing and Wi-Fi
On this page:
- Internet PCs
- Printing from Internet PCs
- Visiting Readers
- Scanning Facilities
- Catalogue PCs
- Wireless Network (Wi-Fi)
- Printing from Laptops
The Library provides PCs for online research in the Berkeley, Ussher, Hamilton and John Stearne Medical Libraries.
Students and staff must use their Trinity College Dublin network username and password (as provided at registration or commencement of employment)
Primarily for accessing Trinity College Library Dublin's academic electronic resources
- personal e-mail
- social networking sites
- word processing (Word not installed)
- downloading games or other programs
- Users are subject to the College's Code of Conduct when accessing the Web
- During busy periods users may be asked to vacate PC if using for non-academic purposes
It is not necessary for Trinity College Dublin staff and students to use these computers to view the Library's databases and electronic journals, which can be accessed inside the Library by laptop, on campus and off campus.
Many additional PCs (including in rooms in the Ussher Library and the 1937 Reading Room) are made available by IS Services.
PCs are also available to visiting readers :
This PCs are provide to allow access to the Library's databases and electronic journals. They are not for general Internet use.
Eduroam allows visitors from particpating institutions, both in Ireland and from abroad, to access the Internet via the TCD wireless network (Wi-Fi) as if they were at their own university. Users should configure their laptop using settings obtained from their home institution; TCD-specific information is on the relevant IS Services page.
Note this does not give access to TCD electronic resources.
The printing, scanning and photocopying facilities in the College libraries and computer rooms are provided by Datapac. There are multi-function devices (MFDs) in the College libraries and College computer rooms located throughout the campus, and in some off campus locations. See the relevant Datapac page for scanning instructions.
These machines are solely for locating items in the Online Catalogue.
Links to external sites such as databases, e-journals and e-books may not work
Use Internet PCs for access to external content
It is not necessary to use these computers to view the Library's Online Catalogue, which can be accessed using any Internet-capable device.
All Library reading rooms have Wi-Fi access. Access will vary based on your status, further details are below:
- Students can connect via the self-service TCDconnect system. Please see the general requirements for connecting to the student network
- Staff members can connect via the staff wireless network. Staff will need to submit a network request before they can connect to the staff wireless network. Please be aware of the general requirements for connecting to staff network, in particular if your laptop is running Windows it must be the Professional version to connect to the staff wireless network
- Visiting students from institutions participating in the eduroam service can use this to connect
- Attached visiting academics may have their sponsoring department request Guest Wi-Fi access on their behalf. Please contact your sponsoring department for further information. Details are also available on the IS Services Guest Wifi page
- Wi-Fi is not available for other visitors or for Alumni students
See Printing from Laptops page.