Donating Books and Manuscripts
The Library of Trinity College Dublin is conscious of how donations from both individuals and organisations have contributed to the development of its collections over more than four hundred years and welcomes all enquires from potential donors.
Any offer to donate material will be seriously considered.
Those wishing to donate modern (post-1900) publications should contact the Accessions Department.
- Items will be evaluated by Library staff and only accepted if in accordance with the Library's Collection Development Strategy and Preservation Policy
- The physical condition of the material will be a crucial factor
- The Library reserves the right to dispose of duplicates and other unwanted items
- All accepted donations must be sent to the Accessions Department
- No absolute commitment can be given as to when items will be processed, though effort will be made to ensure that it is completed as quickly as possible
- Donated material will be processed and catalogued to the same standards as other material and listed in the Online Catalogue
- The Library reserves the right to make decisions on the ultimate location of donated items
Early Printed Books
Those wishing to donate early (pre-1900) publications should contact Early Printed Books and Special Collections.
Those wishing to donate manuscripts should contact the Manuscripts & Archives Research Library.
The Library welcomes donations of manuscripts relating to all disciplines and dates, as well as archives relating to College life. Manuscripts may be gifted, purchased, or, in exceptional cases, deposited. In every case, a formal written agreement is concluded with the donor.
The staff of the Manuscripts and Archives Research Library will be happy to discuss terms and conditions relating to any donation: copyright, reproduction, publication, restrictions on access for material of a personal or confidential nature, conservation, use of material for exhibition purposes. The Library is happy to administer copyright on behalf of donors with regard to scholarly publications.
Those seeking to pass on copies of modern popular works (paperbacks etc.) should note that books are also collected year-round for the Trinity College Dublin Annual Booksale at:
Telephone: +353 1 8962276