Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

COVID-19 (Coronavirus)

Teaching for current undergraduate students and NEW postgraduate students will begin on September 28. Teaching for NEW undergraduate students now due to begin on October 5.  
Postgraduate orientation will take place from 21 September and Undergraduate Orientation will take place from 28 September.  

Countdown to the September 28 with the clock below.


Last updated at 11:00 on 05 August 2020

Key Updates

Update in relation to the COVID-19 situation and Trinity College Dublin.

The teaching term for incoming undergraduates at Trinity College Dublin will now start on Monday, October 5 or a week later than planned.

Postgraduate Orientation will take place from 21 September and Undergraduate Orientation will take place from 28 September.

This short delay is necessary following a decision by the Department of Education to delay the release of Leaving Certificate results and to allow the necessary time for the processing and acceptance of CAO offers for students. Any time that has been lost by the delay will be made up later in the academic year.

Existing students will start back on September 28 as originally planned.

We very much look forward to welcoming students to Trinity in the coming autumn. We are preparing to have face-to-face teaching for all students as far as is compatible with the prevailing social distancing guidelines at the time.

The University remains open and fully operational. We are staying in touch with staff and students online, as we take measures to protect our community.

Staff members approved by their Head/Manager to return to work on campus need to complete a general induction programme and should refer to an access check list. Please see here for more information.  To view the phased reopening plans (local access) please see here.

Read an overview on the many ways Trinity researchers and other staff are responding to Covid-19.

Watch our ‘Working towards a safe reopening in September’ video series here


Is Trinity operating as normal?

The university is presently preparing for the new term which begins on September 28th. At present, the campus is only open to researchers who have permission to be on campus, members of staff preparing for the reopening of college, and students who are revising for exams or who need to complete dissertations. Residents are also allowed on campus. Access during office hours is limited to the entrances at Lincoln Gate, Nassau Street and Science Gallery Dublin on Pearse Street. Please use Front Gate for out of hours access.

When can Trinity researchers return to work on campus?

Trinity has developed these guidelines for coming back on campus for research activities. There are a number of key points that need to be made:

  1. It will not be possible to come back on campus for research purposes without there being a plan in place.
  2. That plan needs to be put in place at the School/TRI/Unit level rather than at the level of the individual PI or researcher.
  3. Full details of what is involved in developing a plan and the sign-off process can be found here.
  4. The work involved in planning is detailed and will take some time. The Covid-19 situation is complex and the safety and wellbeing of our community is paramount.
  5. We will be holding some workshops to share best practice and details of these will be posted here.
  6. As soon as the plan for a TRI/School/Unit is signed off, the prioritised access can commence.

The reality of our current situation is that when the protocols set out by Government are followed, and proper social distancing is maintained, the numbers that can be accommodated on campus are low, even when rotas are taken into account. For example, we may only be able to support 20% capacity or less in many areas. The prioritisation that will be done at School/TRI/Unit level will need to take this - and also the wider constraints on supports and services - into account.

More information can be found here.

Can the public access the campus at all?

No. At present access is limited to students and staff and outside contractors helping to prepare for the reopening of college.

Can the public visit the Book of Kells?

Limited tickets can be bought for access to the Book of Kells after August 10th although only a limited number of visitors will be permitted at any one time. Additional information can be found here.

What is Trinity doing to help the fight against COVID-19?

Many staff are involved in research and on the frontlines. See more here:

Can I access material from the libraries?

As part of Trinity’s overall resumption of activities, the Library will resume and expand services on a phased and gradual basis. This started on a modest scale with one floor of  Kinsella Hall in the Ussher Library on June 29th, followed by the Berkeley, Lecky, Ussher, Hamilton and John Stearne libraries on July 20th. Access to all Library reading rooms will resume on August 10th. In the meantime, several new services have been introduced including ‘Click and Collect’, 'Scan on Demand’ and a postal delivery service to support researchers working remotely from June 29th. Click here for further details .The safety of our staff and readers will at all times remain our priority, with strict safety protocols and social distancing measures in place across all spaces and services.

Off-campus access to licensed electronic resources (books, databases and journals) is available to registered students and staff. For information on Library services during the closure period, see Library guide to working from home

Please see here for further information on library resumption of activities

Is the Trinity Sports Centre open?

We will be re-opening Islandbridge, Santry Sports Grounds and the Iveagh Sports Grounds from July 20th to all Trinity Sport staff, students and Trinity sports clubs. Islandbridge, Santry Sports Grounds and the Iveagh Sports Grounds will be open to our public members from August 10th. Please see our current Covid-19 customer journey information above. 

Planning around the re-opening of the Trinity Sports Centre and other outdoor campus sports facilities will continue in line with the University’s resumption of activities schedule (gradual reopening from August 10th). Our main priority is the safety of our members and staff, we are ensuring all appropriate guidelines and protocols are followed. We will require the support of all users to play their part in ensuring the facilities remain safe during usage by taking care of their own personal hygiene and safety. The current health and safety protocols which have been implemented across all our sporting facilities include but are not limited to: 

  • Designated entry, exit, and one-way access routes.
  • Booking system to manage a reduced capacity and to assist with contact tracing.
  • Increased dedicated cleaning schedules.
  • Contactless payments. 
  • Socially distanced facility and staffing setup.
  • Staff training in new procedures and safety systems.
  • Digital user orientation and continued digital and virtual offers. 
  • Sanitiser and handwash stations.

For more info please see here.

Student FAQs

Current Students

How/when can I get into my locker on campus?

The student locker rental period has been extended until 14th August. From 20th July until 14th August those who have a locker rented will be able to come onto campus to retrieve their possessions and when emptying the locker should leave their locker key in the lock. Access to campus will be by appointment. To book an appointment only, please complete the booking form here. Please make sure you have your Student ID Card with you to gain entrance to campus and observe Social Distancing.

When will teaching start?

For Semester 1, classes start on Monday 28 September and finish on Friday 18 December with Study Week running from 9-13 November. Teaching for Freshers will begin on October 5th. At this stage the vast majority of posgraduate courses are also due to start on September 28th. A very small number of professional courses will have different start dates and students on these courses will be advised separately. Semester 2 will start on Monday 1 February and finish Friday 23 April. Study Week will be from 15-19 March.

How will classes take place?

Semester 1 will follow a hybrid model which combines online and face to face elements such as offering online lectures for larger class groupings and face-to-face seminars, tutorials and laboratory classes for smaller groups. As much face-to-face teaching and learning as possible will be provided under prevailing health and safety requirements. A decision on the second semester will be taken closer to the time.

Where can I find out more on the blended teaching format?

A Resumption of Teaching Working Group is currently working out different scenarios of how to deliver this hybrid teaching format depending on what social distancing protocols will be in force at the time. This will include scenarios for fully online delivery in the case of a second wave of COVID-19 resulting in another lockdown.

When are exams?

Semester 1 assessment will now take place during the week starting 11 January 2021 instead of before Christmas. There is a possibility that these assessments may run for a second week in parallel to the Scholarship examinations. Assessment for Semester 2 will take place in the week commencing 10 May.

What will be the format for exams?

Semester 1 assessments will predominately be online apart from a very small number of exceptions determined by the Senior Lecturer/Dean of Undergraduate Studies or Dean of Graduate Studies.

When is Orientation Week?

Postgraduate Orientation will take place from 21 September and Undergraduate Orientation will take place from 28 September. This will include some online introductory sessions on the use of the digital/online teaching and learning environment on platforms such as Blackboard, Panopto and Articulate and it is hoped to also have elements of face-to-face activity dependent on government social distancing protocols at the time.

What should I do if I’m considering a re-sit? Note this applies ONLY to students in third and fourth year of four-year Bachelor’s programmes and fourth and fifth year for integrated Master’s programmes

You should make an application through your Tutor to first discuss this with your Head of Discipline. This application should be made within one week of the publication of your results. Your Head of Discipline will go through your marks with you to help you determine whether improved performance on any specific modules would be likely to make a material difference to your grade. If you then decide to apply for a re-sit, this should be communicated to your Head of Discipline, within a further week. They will forward the application for approval to the Senior Lecturer/Dean of Undergraduate Studies.

Why is there a time-limit on applying for a re-sit?

The restriction of requests for re-sits to this time period is to enable all other marks, progression decisions, and degree grades to be finalised so that students not requesting re-sits can be progressed to the next year or go on to graduation.

When will I be notified if my application was successful?

You will be notified of the outcome of the application as quickly as possible.

When is the reassessment period?

Reassessment dates are Monday, 17th August – Friday, 4th September (inclusive of Saturday, 22nd and Saturday 29th August). Please ensure you are available for the full date range as examinations may be scheduled on any of the dates.

What is the format of the re-sits of passed modules approved by the Senior Lecturer/Dean of Undergraduate Studies?

It follows the same modality as the initial assessment (unless the nature of the work precludes this in which case an alternative assessment modality can be used) and the better mark of the two will be retained and used in determining your final degree grade.

Will there be a reduction in fees for the upcoming year because certain teaching will be online?

For the upcoming academic year of 2020/2021, we are preparing to have face-to-face teaching for all students as far as is compatible with the prevailing social distancing guidelines at the time.. Where it is not possible to facilitate face to face learning, due to social distancing requirements and public health advice, a hybrid approach will be taken to providing teaching and learning. This will be facilitated through online lecturers, online tutorials/seminars, online assessments and online graduation ceremonies. On that basis, there will be no reduction of tuition fees for 2020/2021.

As academic provision is proceeding for the academic year 2020/2021, albeit via alternative arrangements including hybrid teaching and learning, payments of fees will be required as normal in accordance with Regulations set out in the Chapter on College Charges of Part II of the Calendar of Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin.

As academic provision is proceeding for the academic year 2020/2021, albeit via alternative arrangements including hybrid teaching and learning, payments of fees will be required as normal in accordance with Regulations set out in the Chapter on College Charges of Part II of the Calendar of Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin.

If the University has to move to full online teaching and learning will I be entitled to a refund of fees?

If in accordance with public health advice a move to full online teaching and learning is required academic provision will proceed for the academic year 2020/2021. Such teaching will be via alternative arrangements including online teaching and learning and payments of fees will be required as normal in accordance with Regulations set out in the Chapter on College Charges of Part II of the Calendar of Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin.

In accordance with Regulation 19 of the Chapter on College Charges of Part II of the Calendar of Trinity College Dublin, the Board accepts no obligation to refund any fee, or any part of any fee, paid in respect of any exercise to be performed in the University. Refunds may only be made in the current academic year in accordance with Regulations 20 and 21 of the Chapter on College Charges of Part II of the Calendar of Trinity College Dublin.

Are Application Fees refundable?

All applicants who apply for direct entry to the College (i.e. not through the Central Applications Office) must pay a non-returnable application fee of €55 per course application. Application fees are non-refundable in accordance with Regulation 11 of the Chapter on College Charges of Part II of the Calendar of Trinity College Dublin.

Are Deposit fees refundable?

Normally, any deposit paid is non-refundable and non-transferable. If you decide to defer, your deposit will be retained to reserve your place for the following year.

However, for academic year 2020/21 only, deposit refunds are available to any applicant who withdraws their application due to being affected by the Coronavirus.

Is the Student Levies and Charges (SLC) Fee payable for 2020/2021?

The SLC fee for 2020/2021 is payable in accordance with Regulation 15 of the Chapter on College Charges of Part II of the Calendar of Trinity College Dublin, the University of Dublin.

The SLC Fee consists of the below charges and levies:

1. Sports Centre charge. The sports charge is a development charge not an access/membership charge. As per the sport charge student referendum agreement, the only waivers in respect of the sports centre charge are for students of financial hardship and such waivers must be approved via the Senior Tutor’s Office.

2. Student space levy: Subject to public health advice, including social distancing requirements, the University will aim to make available student space areas to students. Students will be required to adhere to public health advice while using student spaces.

3. Graduation fee: the graduation fee covers the cost of printing and issuing of parchments. Qualifications (ie, Degrees, Diplomas and Certificates) will be awardedwhere a student is eligible to proceed with conferral. Furthermore, the graduation fee covers the cost of holding the graduation ceremony. Costs are still being incurred to carry out the graduation ceremonies and stream such ceremonies online. Regulations 89 and 90 of Part II of the Calendar of Trinity College Dublin provides the graduation fee is fully refundable to all students who become ineligible to proceed with conferral.

4. U.S.I membership fee (optional): This is an optional fee for U.S.I membership.

I am a current Trinity student. Where can I get support during this time?

You can find support from your Tutor or Senior Tutor’s office at Student Counselling is available at while the Chaplains are available at

Find Information regarding student supports and services.

The Library’s Teaching and Research Support team is available online. They’ve listed a number of supports.

Are Trinity Student Counselling and Student Learning Development Services still available while the College is closed?

Yes, these services remain available to students for:

  • Telephone counselling/learning support appointments
  • Telephone consultations for students in distress
  • Online support via our SilverCloud programmes.
  • Students who are currently using SCS and SLD will receive telephone calls from their counsellors at the time of their scheduled appointments. More information on counselling services.

Is the Disability Service still available while the campus is closed?

The Disability Service Team is working remotely to support students during the COVID-19 closure. The Team will continue to offer student appointments via Microsoft Teams/Skype, phone or email. Bookings can be made with Disability Officers and Occupational Therapists as normal. Staff contact details and booking links are available here: In addition we have added Inclusive Online Teaching and Learning Resources These pages are designed to help you locate resources and guidance to support you during the period where teaching, learning and assessment will be conducted remotely.

Is the College Health Service still available while the College is closed?

Face to face consultations are available if the Doctor determines one is necessary following a telephone consultation. Advice will be provided by phone by the GP on duty at College Health, during the following times:

Monday to Friday excluding Bank Holidays between the following hours: 9.30-12.00pm and 2-4pm Call: (01 896 1591 or 01 896 1556)

Please note that appointments or consultations cannot be facilitated by sending an email to College Health, you must call the service directly during the above hours.

Patients with pre-booked appointments:

Patients with pre-booked appointments will be contacted by telephone by the doctor with whom they have already made an appointment, on, or before the date of the booked appointment. This doctor will make every effort to provide or advise on appropriate ongoing care to include consideration of prescription needs. Please note that the phone call may not come from the usual TCD number and may be from a withheld number. If you will have enough medication until this appointment date, there will be no need to call in advance as this phone call will deal with prescriptions if needed.

It is important that your phone line is kept open for this call on the day of your booked appointment. We advise that you are available on your phone from 9am as the call may not come at the specifically booked appointment time.

Phlebotomy Services

We are unable to a provide phlebotomy services. This means that booked blood tests cannot take place.

In an Emergency

In the event of a medical emergency or if you require urgent care, please contact a GP in the community or your local emergency department.

What about help with IT?

Advice on remote learning.

IT services have also provided a new way to chat with them for assistance via webchat. See all the ways to contact them.

I have an immigration-related query, where do I find out more information?

If you are a current student, please click here

Will my Erasmus exchange go ahead next year?

The decision has been made, to continue to offer, where possible, Erasmus exchanges to students in Semester 1 of the next academic year. Decisions about Semester 2 will be made in September.

All Erasmus exchanges will be voluntary for the forthcoming year. This means that Erasmus exchanges in which the Junior Sophister year abroad is part of an integrated programme will not be mandatory (including those on programmes involving Russian and/or Middle Eastern Languages) in Semester 1 and that all requirements of the programme will be available in Trinity. Students who wish to undertake an Erasmus exchange may do so as long as the host university is accepting inbound students, ideally providing in-person teaching, and it is safe to do so. We would however discourage students from proceeding on an exchange in a University that is planning wholly online learning.

Students who decide to go on an Erasmus exchange need to make an informed decision and be aware of the following:

  • Students who opt to proceed with their planned exchange but experience difficulties there should note that they will be able to reintegrate into their programme in Trinity as long as they return before the end of week four of our Semester 1. Beyond that cut-off point, students who withdraw from their exchange will lose the semester. This will result in them having to do the year in full the following year.
  • Requests to go off-books in the hope of deferring an exchange for a year will be managed by the Senior Lecturer’s Office, but priority in allocating exchange places next year will be given to students who are a part of that year’s regular cohort of students who are currently in the year below.

We ask students to check this website on a regular basis as key updates will be posted here, as well as to continue to monitor their Trinity emails daily as detailed information will be sent directly to the relevant students. We also ask students to continue to monitor communications from partner universities and the DFA website for updates on travel restrictions.

As is the case every year, we advise all Trinity students travelling abroad on student placements or exchanges to procure travel insurance. (

I am nominated to join an exchange programme overseas in the academic year 2020/21. How will COVID-19 affect the exchange programme?

As the situation unfolds and develops, different universities will have different responses. Some partners may opt to cancel their exchange programme entirely, some partners may cancel Semester 1 exchanges, others may offer online learning either partially or for the full semester/year. The situation is fluid and continues to develop. The Global Relations Office is in touch with all of Trinity’s partners worldwide, working closely with them to establish an approach that prioritises the safety and wellbeing of all students and staff.

Trinity’s Global Relations Office or the partner university itself will notify the relevant student cohort as soon as there are any updates on their policies and procedures regarding exchange programmes.

We ask students to check this website on a regular basis as key updates will be posted here, as well as to continue to monitor their Trinity emails daily as detailed information will be sent directly to the relevant students. We also ask students to continue to monitor the DFA website for updates on travel restrictions ( At this time, we advise students against making any financial commitment towards their semester overseas, including where possible, accommodation and flights.

As is the case every year, we advise all Trinity students travelling abroad on student placements or exchanges to procure travel insurance. (

I am an international student. Is the Global Room still operating?

Yes, the Global Room will continue to provide specialist information and support to international students on a wide range of issues, including immigration. Email

How do I return books to the Library if it is closed?

Book renewal

All books on loan have been automatically renewed to 11th September 2020.  All fees are waived during this period.

Book returns
For all students

Starting from Wednesday, May 13th, the Library van will be parked at the Lincoln Place entrance from 12pm -2pm to accept book returns on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

For final year students only who cannot physically make it on campus

We have organised a free scheme with An Post to enable you to post your books back to the Library from anywhere in Ireland via your local post office. This service is free of charge. You can place a request here   

For any further queries on book renewals and book returns, please email:

Prospective Students

Where can I find a quick overview of admission and student support information for 2020/21?

To find out more about your health and wellbeing, student accommodation, visas, academic support, peer to peer advice, student counselling and more, please click here.

I am a prospective student for 2020/21. Where can I get advice?

If you have a specific question, please email Many detailed questions are also answered at

Are applications still open for 2020/21?

Yes, we welcome applications and continue to assess applications and issue offers for entry in 2020.

Where can I find out information on study visas for Ireland?

If you have to apply for a visa as you have been offered a place on a course in Trinity, or if you have applied for one and have been granted a study visa for Ireland, but due to travel restrictions are unable to travel and your entry visa will expire soon, please click here to find out what to do.

Will deadlines for application/acceptance/documents/registration be affected?

The deadline for undergraduate Non-EU applicants for most programmes is July 31st. Deadlines for many postgraduate taught programmes have been re-opened or extended to July 31st. Most acceptance deadlines have been extended. If you wish to have your deadline extended please contact the Academic Registry at

The deadline for Study Abroad Non-EU Inbound applications was 15 April 2020. Will this be extended?

The deadline for Non-EU students who wish to study at Trinity was extended to June 15th and is now closed.

Staff FAQs

Where do I find the College’s return to campus general induction programme?

The Trinity COVID19 General Induction module is accessible via Blackboard and must be completed as part of an employee’s preparation for resumption of work on campus. Once approved by your Head/Manager to return to work on Campus, please click on Trinity COVID19 General Induction and follow these steps:

1. In the Module Search box, type in Returning to Work Safely and click on Go

2. You will see a module called COVID-INDUCTION, click on it

3. Click on the Enrol button on the left side of the page. (if you can't see the Enrol button, you may need to click on the blue bar to the left of the screen to make it visible.)

4. Click on the Submit button on the bottom right of your page

5. Your page will then say you have been enrolled. Click on the OK button on the bottom right of the page to access the module

6. Then remember to complete your details at step 3 to confirm you have completed the module

What are the Daily 5 point self-checks I must ask myself each day?

Once approved by your Head/Manager to return to work on Campus, you should ask yourself these 5 questions each day prior to travelling to work, do you have:

1. A recent cough?

2. Shortness of breath?

3. A new respiratory illness?

4. Fever?

5. Have been advised to self-isolate in the last 14 days since you last attended the workplace? If you answer yes to any of the above, please contact your GP immediately, follow their advice and inform your manager accordingly

Where can I find the College’s COVID-19 Working From Home Procedures ?

These updated procedures can be viewed here: Working From Home During COVID19 Procedures

Where can I find an access check list for Schools, research institutes and professional services?

Please see the access checklist here.

I am required to work on campus however I do not want to travel on public transport?

If you are required to work on campus and do not wish to travel to work by public transport, you need to consider sourcing alternative means to get to work.

If I choose to travel abroad and have to self-isolate/restrict movements on my return, will special leave with pay apply?

The Irish Authorities require anyone coming into Ireland, apart from Northern Ireland, to restrict their movements for 14 days, this includes citizens and residents returning to Ireland. Restricting your movements means staying indoors in one location and avoiding contact with other people and social situations as much as possible. To ensure that this is being observed all passengers arriving to Ireland from overseas are obliged to complete a mandatory Public Health Passenger Locator Form and to submit it to the relevant authority at their port of entry.

Where there is an intention to undertake non-essential travel overseas despite the current advice, and if on return you are required to restrict your movements for 14 days, you will need to take annual leave or unpaid leave to facilitate this period of restricted movement.  Special leave with pay will not apply during this period. In line with the College’s policies, all leave is subject to the prior approval of your Manager in the context of the operational needs of the area and the role. You should discuss this with your Manager prior to travelling. The requirement that employees advise their employer of travel abroad is necessary for the protection of public health. Working from home is not an option during this period

What is essential travel?

Trinity College staff in line with all public sector employees are advised against non-essential travel under the current public health  COVID19 restrictions. Neither the Dept of Foreign Affairs & Trade (DFAT) nor the Dept of Public Expenditure & Reform (DPER) provide a definition of what is or is not essential travel.  A degree of common sense is required for each individual to determine if their travel during this time is essential (vital, crucial, critical)  or otherwise, taking in to account their civil responsibility in trying to stop COVID19 spreading in Ireland. The HSE advises that the safest thing is to not travel abroad as the risk of bringing back the virus from other countries remains high. Therefore, in line with the Government’s Guidance on working  arrangements in the Public Service during COVID19 of which Trinity College staff are bound, any staff who intends to undertake non-essential travel abroad and are required to restrict their movements for 14 days on return to Ireland, must make provision by way of an annual leave or unpaid leave application for the additional period of restricted movement.

I’m approved to return to work on campus, do I need my staff ID card to gain access to campus?

Staff cards are now required for access onto Trinity College campus. The details of how you can have a staff ID card issued or renewed can be found HERE. If you have difficulty accessing the website then please call the HR Service Centre on 01 896 3333

What supports are available for staff?

Inspire Workplaces Counselling Services provide the University’s Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) service. University staff and their immediate families (those living at home with them who are 18 years of age and older) can avail of emotional support such as telephone counselling by calling 1800 817 433. There is also an online portal with access fact sheets which can be found under the personal life / sickness section at (username: TCD, password: tcd@eap)

There is useful information on the Human Resources website about working from home and staying healthy at home.

The HSE also provides advice on looking after you mental health, the details can be found at this link

Where do I find the procedure for Leave and Working Arrangements during COVID-19 outbreak?

Are there restrictions on work-related travel?

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT) is advising against non-essential travel. On this basis, Trinity has banned all work-related travel to affected areas as defined by the DFAT.

What is temporary assignment?

Staff who are not medically advised to self-isolate must be available to carry out work to deliver services for the University. Where this is not possible in their substantive role,  temporary assignment within their grade across the University may apply.

As a Manager, what leave records do I have to keep?

The Organisation of Working Time Act 1997 requires employers to hold records of all forms of leave. It is important that records of all leave (CV19 special leave with pay, annual leave, unpaid leave) are kept locally in each area. These should be readily available for University and DES statistical data, if requested.

I've been advised to restrict my movements. Do I still have to work?

The HSE sets out the criteria for restricted movements at Staff cannot voluntarily choose to restrict their movements. Staff who have been advised to restrict their movements are available for work. The staff member should be assigned work and the line manager must therefore facilitate alternative working arrangements e.g. working from home. Where alternative working arrangements in the staff member’s current role is not feasible, then they may be temporarily assigned to work within the University.

How do I ensure secure remote and mobile working?

Staff must ensure that University-controlled data is processed securely and measures should be taken to ensure that no unauthorised person can access such information. To ensure that Trinity-controlled data is processed securely, the Trinity Data Protection and Information Security Offices have drafted guidance for secure remote and mobile working. This guidance is available at

Can I claim illness benefit whilst on Special Leave with Pay?

Staff on special leave with pay are not permitted to claim the COVID-19 Illness Benefit payment from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection.

I am on special leave with pay due to self-isolation and have since contracted COVID-19. Will I still be paid?

Where a staff member is already on special leave with pay due to self-isolation and subsequently contracts COVID-19, the special leave with pay will continue for the duration of the illness, subject to medical certification being provided and the COVID-19 Self-Declaration Form being completed:

I’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19. Will I be paid?

Special leave with pay may be granted where appropriate HSE or medical confirmation of COVID-19 diagnosis is provided, in accordance with the HSE Guidelines. Staff must complete the COVID-19 Self-Declaration Form at The HSE or medical confirmation of COVID-19 diagnosis is required with the completed form.

I’ve been diagnosed with COVID-19, how will my time off work be recorded?

Any special leave with pay granted for a diagnosis of COVID-19 will not count as part of the staff members sick leave record. The application of special leave with pay will apply for the number of days advised by the HSE/doctor. This will be recorded locally as CV19 Special Leave with Pay on the staff members attendance record.

I've been advised to self-isolate. Will I be paid?

The HSE sets out the criteria for self-isolation at Staff cannot voluntarily choose to self-isolate. Where HSE or medical advice is that the staff member must self-isolate then special leave with pay may be granted. In the event that written HSE or medical confirmation to self-isolate is unavailable, the staff member must complete the Self-Declaration Form at this link to record the HSE or medical advice received. The completed form should be forwarded by the staff member to their line manager as soon as possible.

I've been advised to self-isolate. How will my time off work be recorded?

Any special leave with pay granted for the purpose of self-isolation will not count as part of the staff members sick leave record. The application of special leave with pay will apply for the number of days advised by the HSE/doctor. This will be recorded locally as CV19 Special Leave with Pay on the staff members attendance record.

I need to be at home due to School/Creche closure. What happens?

Special leave with pay is not available for COVID-19 caring arrangements. Where such staff members can work from home, this should be facilitated to the maximum extent feasible. Steps should be taken to increase the scope for remote working and all opportunities and flexibilities need to be explored. There are other flexible working options that line managers can offer to staff in addition to home working arrangements. These arrangements can support staff to manage caring responsibilities at home (including facilitating shared caring arrangements with partner) and can support segregation of the workforce and social distancing measures. For example, alternative working patterns, flexible or staggered shifts and weekend working may be explored, where feasible.

What should I do if I feel that I am at risk due to an underlying medical condition?

The HSE advice on At Risk groups is at: Staff should self-declare where they consider they are at risk of serious illness from COVID-19. Where the staff member is not ill, the line manager should prioritise alternative working arrangements e.g. working from home. Where alternative working arrangements in the staff member’s current role is not feasible, they may be temporarily assigned to work within the University. Staff in this category who are ill and not available for work should provide a medical certificate covering their absence in line with the University’s Sick Leave policy.

What should staff do to keep updated during the University closure?

Staff should check their emails and this dedicated COVID-19 page on a daily basis for updates as this is an evolving situation.

I have a family member that has been told to self-isolate. What leave arrangements can I avail of?

If a staff member in this situation has been advised by the HSE that there is no need for them to self-isolate, they can explore alternative working patterns and working from home with their line manager, where feasible. If the staff member wishes to stay at home for the purpose of caring for family members, they may be able to avail of other forms of leave under University policies such as Annual Leave, Parental Leave, Special Unpaid Leave of Absence or Force Majeure (as defined under the Parental Leave Act 1998). The granting of any leave is subject to the approval of the Head of School /Administrative and Support Area.

I am essential staff but I don’t want to want to attend work as I'm afraid I will catch the virus. What should I do?

Essential staff who have not being advised to self-isolate by a GP/HSE should attend work as normal. If you have a fear of contracting the virus, then discuss this with your line manager in the first instance. The University must consider the risks and consider whether you are a vulnerable employee. Where there is no increased risk for you, the University can request you to attend work. If you continue to be absent from work in these circumstances, you may be subject to disciplinary action for unauthorised absence.

I have a medical condition. Am I at risk?

There are some groups of people who may be at risk of serious illness if they catch coronavirus. The HSE list of at-risk groups includes people who:

  • are over 60, people over 70 are particularly vulnerable and should cocoon
  • have a long-term medical condition (e.g. heart, lung, cerebrovascular, renal and liver disease or high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer)
  • have a weak immune system (immunosuppressed)
  • have a medical condition that can affect breathing

I have returned to Ireland from abroad. What should I do?

The Irish Health Authorities require anyone coming into Ireland, apart from countries on the DFA's Green List, to restrict their movements on arrival for 14 days. Please visit the Irish Health Service COVID-19 Advice Page for full information on these requirements. Contact your Line Manager personally by telephone immediately on your return to Ireland to discuss the possibility of a working from home arrangement.

What if I don’t provide the appropriate COVID-19 /ordinary medical confirmation to my line manager?

In the event of non-compliance with the University’s Sick Leave Policy and/or the provisions of special leave with pay (including the requirement to provide bona fide confirmation of self-isolation/diagnosis of COVID-19) existing procedures, including disciplinary measures, may be invoked”.

What if I don’t return to work after being granted special leave with pay?

When granted special leave with pay, staff will be expected to comply at once with any directions which may be given by the University and to take all practicable steps to resume duty as soon as possible. Non-compliance with this may result in the with-holding of pay.

As a Manager, what should I do when a staff member contacts me about potential COVID 19 infection?

You need to establish specifically:

  • Whether the staff member has consulted a doctor or the HSE (if not, they should be advised to do so immediately).
  • Whether the staff member has been diagnosed as an actual or probable case. If the staff member is medically diagnosed with COVID 19, special leave with pay may be granted.
  • Establish if the staff member has called the designated phone numbers (087 626 7323 or 0861731874) to report diagnosis (if not, they should be advised to do so immediately).
  • Ensure the staff completes the Self-Declaration Form and returns it to you with the appropriate medical confirmation as soon as possible.
  • Record this locally as CV19 Special Leave with Pay on the staff members attendance record.

What happens if I have an illness other than COVID-19?

Under the terms and conditions of the University’s Sick Leave Policy, ordinary illness should be recorded locally by the line manager as sick leave.

What if I am on ordinary illness sick leave and subsequently contract COVID-19?

If a staff member is on sick leave due to ordinary illness and is subsequently diagnosed with COVID-19, the special leave with pay may be granted retrospectively in lieu of sick leave. The staff member would be required to complete the Self-Declaration Form and return it to their line Manager with the appropriate medical confirmation as soon as possible.

Can Shorter Working Year be rescheduled/cancelled during the COVID-19 crisis period?

The expectation is that any shorter working year arrangement that is scheduled will go ahead as planned. Where there is a business requirement, it may be possible for employers to cancel/postpone shorter working year with the agreement of the employee. In exceptional circumstances employers may agree to defer at the employee’s request, subject to business requirements.

How should flexi-time schemes operate during the period of COVID-19?

In order to keep delivering essential services to all the College Community we need flexibility and adaptability. The operation of traditional flexi-time/attendance management rules do not support the flexible arrangements and agility required during this extraordinary situation.

The normal operation of flexi-time or equivalent attendance management rules, including any flexi-time accruals and deficits, is to be temporarily suspended during the period of COVID-19 to facilitate the required new ways of working across the public service. Any balances accrued by employees before the suspension of flexible working hours arrangements can remain and be held over until the COVID working arrangements are no longer in place.

Health and Advice

What precautionary measures should I be taking?

Please stay safe in these difficult times. The well-being of everybody in our college community is our number one priority. We take this opportunity to remind everyone that the best way to protect yourself is to practice social distancing (keep a space of 2 metres (6.5 feet) between you and other people), wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer. Other sensible measures include turning your head away from people when you sneeze, using a tissue or your sleeve and disposing of tissues quickly. Wearing a mask in public places where social distancing is difficult is also recommended.

We realize that it is highly probable that the virus will spread despite all public health measures, and we will offer as much support as possible to any member of the college community that may contract the virus.

Should you have any particular concerns, please contact the HSE hotline on 1850 241850 for further advice.

Where can I access health advice in relation to COVID-19?

Please follow advice published on the HSE website.

Call HSE Helpline on 1850241850 in relation to risk of contracting the Coronavirus. Callers should press 1 when they are advised for coronavirus guidance.

In the case of medical emergency, call 112 or 999.

What do I do if I have cold and flu like symptoms?

Stay calm. If you have a temperature take Paracetamol. Rest in bed and take plenty of fluids.

Self isolate. Please see Self-Isolation and Self-Quarantine for advice on how to do this.

Ring the college Health Service - Tel 01 896 1556, or your own GP and they will talk to you and assess whether you meet the criteria for a swab test for COVID-19. If it is a weekend you can wait until Monday morning to do this.

If you feel you need to see a doctor because you are very unwell and cannot self-manage your condition please call DUBDOC 01 4545607. DO NOT call them if you just want to get tested as this needs to be organized through your own GP.

What do I do if I think I have been in contact with COVID-19/Coronavirus?

Self isolate. Please see Self-Isolation and Self-Quarantine for instructions. Ring the College Health Service 01 896 1556 or your own GP. They will organize a test if it seems appropriate. Do not ring at the weekend but wait until Monday morning. Please reserve 999/112 calls for medical emergencies.

Trinity Accommodation

These FAQs address queries by students who have been offered accommodation located at Trinity Hall in Dartry or the city centre Campus only in 2020-21.

How is Trinity College going to manage campus accommodation during the COVID19 crisis?

Trinity is following the guidelines issued by the Health Service Executive (HSE) at all times to ensure best possible levels of safety and security for all residents of the College. Updates will be posted here as they happen.

Will I get a refund of my accommodation advance licence fee if I decide (a) not to accept my course offer, (b) to defer my place, or (c) if I am not allocated a room in Trinity?

Yes in all 3 cases but for (a) and (b) you need to give at least 2 weeks’ notice of your decision. In all cases pleases let the Accommodation Office know as soon as possible so an offer can be made to another student.

What will happen if I accept my room offer but then my travel to Dublin is affected by a COVID-19 related travel restriction in my home country or in Ireland?

Please contact us at or to discuss your options.

If there is a second COVID-19 lockdown in Ireland during the 2020-21 academic year, will I receive refund of accommodation licence fee paid if I need to leave?

If you are instructed by College authorities to vacate your room and are in a position to safely do so, then any prepaid licence fee will be refunded.

Given the COVID-19 protocols, what will the rules for student residents on social/physical distancing be?

Personal responsibility will be more important than ever for all living in shared accommodation. Guidance, based on Health Service Executive (HSE) advice, will be provided to all students on arrival.

Will students have to restrict their movement for 14 days on arrival in Ireland?

If you are arriving to Ireland from another country, please see Health Service Executive (HSE) guidelines here:

What health supports will be available to students living in Trinity accommodation if they have to restrict their movement on arrival or if they become sick due to COVID-19?

For information about the Trinity College Health Service, see:

How will students self-isolate if they are living in Trinity accommodation?

If a student develops COVID-19 symptoms they must remain in their bedroom and contact their doctor and College Health as soon as possible and follow their guidance.

If I have a specific question regarding residential life in Trinity College Dublin, where may I find more information?

Further information on student residences in Trinity College is available here:

More information

Department of Health - Coronavirus disease (COVID-19)

Here are a few simple steps that can slow the virus down #ItsInOurHands #COVID19 #coronavirus