Update Personal Details
Change of Contact Details
All currently registered students are responsible for updating their contact details via their portal. Students can update their address and telephone number using the “Maintain my Student Record” tab located in the top right hand corner of their my.tcd.ie portal.
Change of name/gender/date of birth/nationality
A student's personal details are recorded at the point of admission to Trinity College Dublin as that given on the CAO application or direct entry application form, as appropriate.
A student may apply to have their name, gender, date of birth or nationality changed or corrected by completing the Change of Personal Details Form.This form should be completed by the student and presented in person to the Academic Registry Service Desk with supporting documentation for approval. Any change or correction of the student's personal details must be supported by official documentation such as:
- valid passport
- birth certificate
- marriage certificate
- certificate of name change by deed poll
- Gender recognition certificate
or other documentation deemed acceptable by the Service Desk staff and Service Desk Manager. The documentation must correspond exactly with the documented change request.
Support for Transgender Students
The Academic Registry is committed to supporting the diverse student community in the University and providing an efficient, inclusive and professional service experience. As part of the Trinity Gender Identity and Gender Expression Policy the Academic Registry supports transgender and otherwise gender-transitioning students in updating their personal details and student record to reflect their correct name/gender.
1) Students with official documentation
Transgender students who have official documentation supporting their requested change (e.g. passport/deed poll/gender recognition certificate) can avail of the standard Change of Personal Details Form. No additional steps are needed.
2) Students without official documentation
Transgender students without access to documentation confirming their requested change can submit the standard Change of Personal Details Form AND an additional Change of Personal Details (Declaration Form)
The declaration form is completed in conjunction with the student's personal tutor/ the Postgraduate Advisory Service/ the Senior Tutor's office as appropriate. This confirms that the student consents to the regulations outlined in relation to changes to student records and that they understand they will be registered in these details only.
Students submitting the declaration form agree to submit documentation in future when it becomes available.
- A student's registered name may not include official titles (eg, Honourable, Lord, Lady, Prince etc.) initials, brackets, or adjuncts (eg, Jnr, Snr, 3rd etc).
- In order to facilitate the processing of final examination results and arrangements for Commencements ceremonies, a student's registered name may not be changed after the end of the second week of Hilary Term in the student's final year.
- Students are advised that the name under which any grants / visa applications are applied for should correspond with their registered name in Trinity College Dublin. Failure to ensure this could result in difficulty in claiming a grant cheque. Please note that Trinity College Dublin will only certify a student's registration status in their registered name.
- Once a name change is recorded on your student record the fee to replace your TCD Student ID Card will be waived on return of the original card.
After Submitting Your Request
Student records will be updated within 24 hours. Students who wish to replace their student card can do so free of charge by returning the original to the Service Desk, Academic Registry.
Service staff in the Academic Registry have received customer service, diversity, and trans specific training and as such the Service Desk can respond to any query from LGBT students sensitively. If a student would prefer for any reason to speak to an LGBT identified member of staff, two staff members are available in the Service area:
Joel McKeever Activity Administrator - Communications, HR and Administration
01 896 4664 email@example.com
Clair Battle Service Lead – Service
01 896 4158 firstname.lastname@example.org
For further guidance & support on transitioning in the University:
Senior Tutor's Office
Telephone: + 353 1 896-2551
Address: House 27, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin 2
Address: Secretary's Office, West Theatre,Trinity College Dublin, Dublin 2
Welfare Officer - Aoibhinn Loughlin
Address: House 6, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin 2
Telephone: 083 847 3215 / +353 1 646 8437
LGBT Rights Officer - Sean O'Carroll