Your TCD student ID card is your official College identification card which is valid from the point of issue to the stated expiry date. It is the accepted official form of identification in College. You will be issued with a new student ID card at the point of registration in the first year of your course. Your card will be valid until the end of your programme. Your card is not transferrable, and remains the property of the University of Dublin, Trinity College at all times. If you decide to withdraw from College or go off College books during an academic year, you must return your ID card to the Academic Registry.
Your ID card permits you access to College facilities and services including:
- Access to College libraries
- Borrowing from College libraries
- Entry to teaching / lab facilities as appropriate
Access to some College services is dependent upon presentation of a valid ID card (eg, collection of a grant cheque; support from IS Services helpdesk etc).
Your card may also be required in order to gain admission to other student facilities (eg, Sports Centre) both on and off campus.
It is important that you report a lost or stolen card immediately to the Academic Registry (firstname.lastname@example.org) so that precautions can be taken to ensure that your card is not used without your consent.
Students whose card has been lost, misplaced, stolen or damaged may seek a replacement from the Academic Registry Service Desk for which a fee of €20 will be charged. Student ID cards are issued during Service Desk Opening Hours.
The replacement card charge will be waived in respect of stolen cards upon production of a Garda Síochána report verifying that the card has been reported stolen.
Failure to notify the Academic Registry places you at risk of serious allegations of collusion in the fraudulent use of your TCD student ID card.
Students who have reached 18 years of age and wish to obtain an updated identity card should return their current student ID card to the Academic Registry Service Desk.
Term & Conditions of Issue
Upon receipt of your card, you as a student, will:
- Accept responsibility for your TCD student ID card.
- Sign your TCD student ID card in the presence of College staff.
- Ensure that the photograph on your TCD student ID card is an acceptable form of identification.
- Ensure that you retain your TCD student ID card solely for your own use.
- Always carry your TCD student ID card while on College campus.
- Present your TCD student ID card when requested to do so by a member of College staff. Refusal to present a TCD student ID card when asked may result in failure to receive provision of College services. Your card may be retained by member of staff if deemed necessary.
- Ensure that if you withdraw you will return your ID card to the Academic Registry Service Desk.
- Be aware that if your TCD student ID card is lost or stolen, you are obliged to inform the Academic Registry immediately (email@example.com), so that the appropriate precautions can be taken to ensure that your card is not used without your consent. Failure to notify the Office places you at risk of serious allegations of collusion in the fraudulent use of your TCD student ID card.