Examinations & Assessment
Important Scholarship Dates
- 16 October 2018 at 9.00 am - 30 October 2018 at 5.00 pm - submission of online applications
- 1 November 2018 at 9.00 am - 7 December 2018 at 5.00 pm - submission of online withdrawal forms
- 7 January 2019 - 11 January 2019 - Foundation Scholarship examinations (Please note it may be necessary to schedule some examinations in the preceding week.)
- 29 April 2019, Trinity Monday, 10.00 am - announcement of Election to Scholarship 2019
The Scholarship Examination can only be taken by students in their Senior Fresh year, except in exceptional circumstances when students may defer it to the following year. In the event that a serious problem arises in the lead-up to the exam please contact your tutor who will make the appropriate application.
Many schools and disciplines hold meetings to inform prospective candidates about the examination. The Scholars themselves are also an excellent source of encouragement and advice – and hold an information night each year. They have also produced an excellent video which you can view at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0RweAxp6vs.
Candidates intending to present for the Foundation Scholarship examinations must complete the online application form below. This form should be submitted by the applicant and not by another party. A confirmation email will be sent via an intray message on their my.tcd.ie portal which may take up to 24 hours.
Candidates who wish to retract their application to sit the Foundation Scholarship examinations must complete the form below. This form should be submitted by the applicant and not by another party. A confirmation email will be sent via an intray message on their my.tcd.ie portal which may take up to 24 hours.
Please note only online application and withdrawal forms will be accepted.
Please consult your course handbook and the College Calendar for further details.
Intermission of Scholarship
Scholars must satisfy the requirements necessary for them to proceed with their class. Any scholars failing to do so forfeit their scholarship. Intermission of tenure of scholarship may be permitted in accordance with the Calendar regulations on Foundation & Non-Foundation Scholarships. For further information please consult the Undergraduate Studies' website.
Application should be made in writing to the Senior Lecturer of the College unless the applicant is a registered postgraduate student of the College, in which case application is made to the Dean of Graduate Studies. Intermission of tenure must be approved by the Board of the College. Scholars are not normally permitted to intermit the tenure of their scholarship for more than three years. Separate application must be made for each year of intermission. The closing date for applying for permission to intermit is 1 March, when making application, students should provide full details of any previous periods of intermission.
Deferral of Scholarship
Application to sit Foundation Scholarship examinations is restricted to student's in their Senior Freshman year. In exceptional circumstances (such as bereavement, serious illness), candidates may apply to the Senior Lecturer through their tutor to be allowed sit the examination in their Junior Sophister year. For further information and to download the Deferral Scholarship Form please consult the Undergraduate Studies' website.
- 2012 Foundation Scholarship Recommendations (PDF, 78KB)
- Council Minutes of 24 October 2012 on Review of the Scholarship Examinations (PDF, 28 KB)
- Council Minutes of 5 November 2008 on Revised Scholarship Examinations (PDF, 59KB)
- Frequently asked questions
- Foundation Scholarship Examination Papers
- 2017/18 Foundation Scholarship Results
- 2017/18 Foundation Scholarship Policy Document
- 2017/18 Foundation Scholarship Calendar entry
- Foundation Scholarship Examination Requirements