Students in their Senior Fresh year are eligible to take the Foundation Scholarship examinations. In exceptional circumstances students may defer them to the following year.
Many Schools and Disciplines hold meetings to inform prospective candidates about the examinations.
Scholars are also an excellent source of encouragement and advice – and hold an information night each year. They have also produced a video which you can view at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0RweAxp6vs.
Please consult your course handbook and the College Calendar for further details.
Foundation Scholarship Examinations
Candidates intending to present for these examinations must complete an online application form. This form should be submitted by the applicant and not by another party. A confirmation email will be sent via an intray message on their my.tcd.ie portal which may take up to 24 hours.
- 16 October 2018 at 9.00 am - 30 October 2018 at 5.00 pm - submission of online applications
- 1 November 2018 at 9.00 am - 7 December 2018 at 5.00 pm - submission of online withdrawal forms
- 7 January 2019 - 11 January 2019 - Foundation Scholarship examinations (Please note it may be necessary to schedule some examinations in the preceding week.)
- 29 April 2019, Trinity Monday, 10.00 am - announcement of Election to Scholarship 2019
Candidates who wish to retract their application to sit the Foundation Scholarship examinations must complete the form below. This form should be submitted by the applicant and not by another party. A confirmation email will be sent via an intray message on their my.tcd.ie portal which may take up to 24 hours.
Please note only online application forms will be accepted
Please note only online withdrawal forms will be accepted.
Intermission of Scholarship
Application should be made in writing to the Senior Lecturer of the College unless the applicant is a registered postgraduate student of the College, in which case application is made to the Dean of Graduate Studies. Intermission of tenure must be approved by the Board of the College.
- 2012 Foundation Scholarship Recommendations (PDF, 78KB)
- Council Minutes of 24 October 2012 on Review of the Scholarship Examinations (PDF, 28 KB)
- Council Minutes of 5 November 2008 on Revised Scholarship Examinations (PDF, 59KB)
- Frequently asked questions
- Foundation Scholarship Examination Papers
- 2017/18 Foundation Scholarship Results (420KB)
- 2018/19 Foundation Scholarship Policy Document (321KB)
- 2017/18 Foundation Scholarship Calendar entry (340KB)
- Foundation Scholarship Examination Requirements