Irish Sign Language
Why should I take this Trinity Elective?
What will I learn?
- You will acquire new linguistic and intercultural skills related to the use of Irish Sign Language.
- You will develop knowledge of the difference between signed and spoken languages.
- You will learn about the Deaf community as a linguistic and cultural minority in Ireland.
What will I do?
- Attend a series of language classes where you will engage in tasks to develop your linguistic proficiency in Irish Sign Language
- Engage in online activities to consolidate your progress
- Work in pairs to complete collaborative, interactive tasks in class
- Prepare a short presentation in Irish Sign Language
How will this be delivered?
- 18 hours of face-to-face language classes and 10 hours of student engagement through teamwork and collaborative tasks.
- Approx. 36 hours of online language learning activities.
- Approx. 36 hours of assessment preparation & delivery.
How will this be assessed?
70% continuous assessment:
- Online language quizzes (30%)
- Online personal learning journal (10%)
- Online discussion board (30%)
30% summative assessment: you will prepare to deliver a short personal presentation in ISL, to be uploaded to Blackboard.
Who can take this Trinity Elective?
Any student eligible to take a Trinity Elective can select this Trinity Elective except for the students on the Deaf Studies programme.