One of the main activities of the IEHN is to function as a point of contact between researchers interested in Irish environmental history, and to highlight our members and their interests to experts in related disciplines and the wider public. We hold regular informal meetings where members meet to present and discuss their work. The meetings also feature invited guest talks by experts in environmental history and complementary disciplines. The meetings are free and non-members are very welcome. A related aim of the IEHN is to collaborate with other relevant organisations and societies in jointly promoting research relevant to Irish environmental history. If you are interested in attending an IEHN event, or have suggestions for future events or collaborations, please feel free to contact Frank Ludlow at email@example.com.
- Recent events (and associated speakers) of the IEHN will include:
- April 25 2018 - The 39th Public Lecture of the Irish Environmental History Network was presented by Dr James Smith of of University of York. This lecture took place at 6pm, Wednesday 25th April 2018, in the TRiSS Seminar Room, 6th Floor Arts Building, Trinity College Dublin. This lecture was entitled "Engineering the Soul: Landscape, Technology and Energy in Medieval Intellectual Culture". More details.
- April 3 2018 - The 38th Public Lecture of the Irish Environmental History Network was presented by Dr Julia Lajus of National Research University Higher School of Economics, Moscow, 5pm, Tuesday 3rd April 2018, in the Neill Theatre, Trinity Long Room Hub, Trinity College Dublin. This lecture was entitled "Nature’s experts under Soviet power". More details.
- March 14 2018 - The 37th Public Lecture of the Irish Environmental History Network was presented by Dr Dr James H. Barrett of University of Cambridge, at 6pm, Wednesday 14th March 2018, in the TRISS seminar room, Arts Building, Trinity College Dublin. More details
- March 7 2018 - The 36th Public Lecture of the Irish Environmental History Network was presented by Dr Tønnes Bekker-Nielsen of University of Southern Denmark, at 6pm, Wednesday 7th March 2018, in the Uí Chadhain Theatre, Arts Building, Trinity College Dublin. More details
- Feb. 15 2018 - The Trinity Centre for Environmental Humanities (TCEH) held its official launch on Thursday, 15h of February 2018 from 5-7pm in the Trinity Research in Social Sciences (TRiSS) seminar room on the 6th floor of the Arts Building. This event featured a guest lecture by Dr Christine Hansen of Gothenburg University, which was entitled "Big Fire and other Australian seasons: the forgotten Aboriginal Calendar", followed by a wine reception and launch of the Centre. More details.
- Jan. 26 2018 - 35th Public Lecture of the Irish Environmental History Network, featuring a lecture by Dr. Ronan Foley of Maynooth University. The lecture was entitled “Therapeutic Environments in 18th and 19th Century Ireland: Hybrid Spaces and Practices”. More details
- Nov. 8 2017 The IEHN hosted a lecture from TCD Honorary Doctorate awardee Patricia Oliver of An Taisce, who presented a lecture entitled "Flagging the Future". This lecture will took place in the Robert Emmet Theatre, Arts Block, from 18:00-19:00 on the 8th of November 2017. More details
- 5th April 2017 - Dr. Cornelius Buttimer of University College Cork presented a lecture entitled "Weather Data in Humphrey O'Sullivan's Diary, 1827-35". The meeting took place on Wednesday 5th April, 2017, in the TRISS Seminar Room, Floor 6, Arts Block, at 5pm.
- 17th February 2017 - A Rountable Discussion organzed by Dr. Derek Gladwin (UBC), entitled: "Is Global Climate Action Trumped?" The event will take place in Trinity College Dublin, Davis Lecture Theatre, Arts Block, from 6pm. More details.
- 21st February 2017 - Prof. Donald Worster of the University of Kansas and the Renmin University of China will present a lecture, entitled "Shrinking the Earth: The Rise and Decline of Natural Abundance". It will take place in the TRISS Seminar Room, Floor 6, Arts Block, from 4.45pm.
- 24th-25th February 2017 - The IEHN is co-sponsoring a two-day colloquium, organized by Teacht Aniar and Gael Linn, entitled "The Ecological Crisis and the Construction of an Alternative Society: Transformation of Consciousness". The event will open from 7.30pm (Friday 24th) in the Mairtin Ui Cadhain Theatre, Floor 2, Arts Block, TCD, and continue from 9.00am on the morning of Staurday (25th) in the same venue. More details shortly.
- 5th April 2017 - Dr. Cornelius Buttimer of University College Cork will present a lecture, entitled "Weather Data in Humphrey O'Sullivan's Diary, 1827-35". The meeting will take place on Wednesday 5th April, 2017, in the TRISS Seminar Room, Floor 6, Arts Block, from 5pm.
- July 2017 (Date TBC) - Dr. Yi-peng (Yvonne) Lai of the National Sun Yat-sen University (Taiwan) will present a lecture on her doctoral research on "Ulysses Green-appraised: Environmental Politics and Joyce".
- Date TBA - Dr. Arlene Crampsie of University College Dublin will present a lecture, entitled "'Unfit for Human Habitation' - Public Health, Housing and Environment in Early 20th Century Rural Ireland".
- Date TBA - Dr. Ronan Foley of the National University of Ireland, Maynooth, will present a lecture, entitled "Environment, Health and Water: Healing Landscapes in 18th and 19th century Ireland".
Full list of past meetings here.