One of the main activities of the IEHN is to function as a point of contact between researchers interested in Irish environmental history, and to highlight our members and their interests to experts in related disciplines and the wider public. We hold regular informal meetings where members meet to present and discuss their work. The meetings also feature invited guest talks by experts in environmental history and complementary disciplines. The meetings are free and non-members are very welcome. A related aim of the IEHN is to collaborate with other relevant organisations and societies in jointly promoting research relevant to Irish environmental history. If you are interested in attending an IEHN event, or have suggestions for future events or collaborations, please feel free to contact Frank Ludlow at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Forthcoming Meetings & Events Line-Up
- Forthcoming events (and associated speakers) of the IEHN will include:
- 17th February 2017 - A Rountable Discussion organzed by Dr. Derek Gladwin (UBC), entitled: "Is Global Climate Action Trumped?" The event will take place in Trinity College Dublin, Davis Lecture Theatre, Arts Block, from 6pm. More details.
- 21st February 2017 - Prof. Donald Worster of the University of Kansas and the Renmin University of China will present a lecture, entitled "Shrinking the Earth: The Rise and Decline of Natural Abundance". It will take place in the TRISS Seminar Room, Floor 6, Arts Block, from 4.45pm. More details.
- 24th-25th February 2017 - The IEHN is co-sponsoring a two-day colloquium, organized by Teacht Aniar and Gael Linn, entitled "The Ecological Crisis and the Construction of an Alternative Society: Transformation of Consciousness". The event will open from 7.30pm (Friday 24th) in the Mairtin Ui Cadhain Theatre, Floor 2, Arts Block, TCD, and continue from 9.00am on the morning of Staurday (25th) in the same venue. More details shortly.
- 5th April 2017 - Dr. Cornelius Buttimer of University College Cork will present a lecture, entitled "Weather Data in Humphrey O'Sullivan's Diary, 1827-35". The meeting will take place on Wednesday 5th April, 2017, in the TRISS Seminar Room, Floor 6, Arts Block, from 5pm.
- July 2017 (Date TBC) - Dr. Yi-peng (Yvonne) Lai of the National Sun Yat-sen University (Taiwan) will present a lecture on her doctoral research on "Ulysses Green-appraised: Environmental Politics and Joyce".
- Date TBA - Dr. Arlene Crampsie of University College Dublin will present a lecture, entitled "'Unfit for Human Habitation' - Public Health, Housing and Environment in Early 20th Century Rural Ireland".
- Date TBA - Dr. Ronan Foley of the National University of Ireland, Maynooth, will present a lecture, entitled "Environment, Health and Water: Healing Landscapes in 18th and 19th century Ireland".
See past meetings here.