Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here Study Abroad & Exchange > Outbound > Where Can I Go?

Where Can I Go?

Trinity has collaborations with some of the world's leading universities. For Trinity students, this means access to a network of more than 300 exchange opportunities across the globe. How you apply can change depending on where you wish to go - there are a wide variety of opportunities to explore!

Students successful in earning an exchange placement register in Trinity as usual for the relevant period whether for a semester or a year, and as a result do not pay additional tuition to these leading universities worldwide, whether in Holland or Hong Kong!

Whether you decide to embark on an Erasmus exchange within Europe to places like Spain, France or Germany, or go further afield on a Non-EU exchange to destinations like the US, India or Australia, there are plenty of opportunities - from one end of the world to the other!

  • Non-EU Exchange Reminder!
  • Please note that the deadline for Non-EU exchange applications will be the 29th of November. Applications are open from the 11th of November and you can find the application form for 2019 - 2020 → right here. Please ensure to use the updated form - the 2018 form will not be accepted.
  • For more information on Non-EU exchange, come to one of the advising drop-in clinics which will be taking place on the 14th and 21st of November between 10am and 5pm inside the Global Room, meeting room.
  • There will also be regional information sessions taking place on the 18th, 19th and 20th of November in the Global Room from 1-2pm!
  • Monday 18th - North America
  • Tuesday 19th - Asia
  • Wednesday 20th - Rest of the World

  • Erasmus Exchange Reminder!
  • The deadline for Erasmus nominations from Schools in the 20th of February, however each School and Department set their own internal deadlines so make sure to clarify what the deadline for your discipline is with the School's/Department's Erasmus coordinator.
  • For Erasmus queries, you can stop by the Academic Registry Service Desk for the advising drop-in clinic which will be taking place on the 12th and 14th of November between 2pm and 4pm.

What is Erasmus?

The Erasmus Programme is a European Commission programme which enables and encourages students across Europe to study at another university as part of their university degree programme.

If you have thought about living abroad and studying at another university, learning about a different culture, improving your languages skills, and making new friends, the Erasmus Programme is for you.

Student can participate for a semester or a full academic year. Alternatively, some students decide to pursue an Erasmus traineeship, which allows you to work abroad during the Summer.

Trinity has participated in the Erasmus Programme since its inception in 1987 and continues of play an active and positive role in the programme.

Please see here for Trinity's Erasmus Policy Statement.

Why go on Erasmus?

Erasmus is a rich and rewarding experience that not only enhances your academic portfolio but your personal development also.

  • Students who move away from home for the first time have the opportunity to showcase their independence living alone and adjusting to the surrounding culture.
  • An exchange offers the opportunity to improve your language skills. Although you might not be studying a language at third level, you can improve your fluency by practicing outside the classroom! Most universities offer an intensive language course prior to the start of term for a small fee.
  • Employers look favourably on graduates who have a second language in the work place.
  • Trinity is partnered with some of the top universities in Europe, offering students the chance to visit world renowned institutions in their field of study.
  • Networking – studying in another university means you can connect with lecturers should you wish to work abroad after you graduate, or pursue further study. Having a referee in the university will give you an edge over other candidates. Remember to update your LinkedIn after you come home!
  • Being able to adapt to a changing environment and different learning style is an excellent quality to have on your CV, especially if you are looking for work overseas after you graduate.
  • In addition, many students apply for Erasmus to travel Europe outside of term time. Living in mainland Europe means that you can travel by more affordable means such as bus and train to surrounding countries.

For more information on EU exchanges, contact

EU Exchanges (Outside of Erasmus Programme)

Erasmus is the most common form of exchange in Europe. COIMBRA exchanges are however also open to current Trinity students – these are exchanges offered through the Coimbra Group, which is an association of long-established European universities of very high international standing.

Also in addition to ERASMUS, students of the School of Engineering can take advantage of Trinity’s memberships in the UNITECH and CLUSTER networks. Trinity's participation in the European Liberal Arts Network (ELAN) also allows Arts & Humanities students access to even more exchanges across Europe.

Erasmus Partner Universities

Trinity College Dublin has been involved in the Erasmus program since its inception in 1987 and continues to play an active and positive role in the program.

If you are interested in developing an Erasmus partnership with Trinity College, or renewing an existing agreement, please contact

Trinity College is currently partnered with the following institutions across Europe:




Vienna University
Montanuniversität Leoben
Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt


Antwerp University
Solvay Brussels School of Economics & Management – Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB)
Université Catholique Louvain
Leuven University


University of Cyprus

Czech Republic

Charles University
Palacký University


Copenhagen University
University College of Northern Denmark


Helsinki University


University of Nantes
University of Western Brittany
Paris 1
Paris 2
Paris 3 Sorbonne
Paris 4 Sorbonne Nouvelle
Paris 7 -Diderot
University Montpellier
Claude University 1
Universite Rennes 2
HEC Paris
Sciences Po
Université D’Orleans
Université Lumiere Lyon 2
Université Francois Rabelais Tours
ESSEC Business School
Université D’Aix-Marseille
Strasbourg University
Université de Lille
Université De Mons
Grenoble Ecole de Management
Neoma Business School


Freie Universität Berlin
Heidelburg University
Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences
University of Marburg
University of Stuttgart
Goethe Universität Frankfurt
Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz
Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf
University Trier
Maastricht University
Humboldt University Berlin
Universität Mannheim
Universität Regensburg
Bielefeld University
Karlsruher Institut für Technologie
University of Cologne
WHU - Otto Beisheim School of Management


National and Kapodistrian University of Athens


Bologna University
Pavia University
Siena University
Padova University
University of Pisa
University of Modena and Reggio Emilia
Rome La Sapienza
Trieste University
University of Udine
Universita’ delgi Studi di Firenze
Universita Degli Studi di Ferrara
Polytecnico di Torino


University of Malta


Bergen University College


Cracow University
Jagiellonian University
Nicolaus Copernicus


Instituto Superior Técnico (IST), Portugal


Universidad Zaragoza
Universidad Complutense de Madrid
Alcala University
Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
Universitat Autonoma de Madrid
University of Granada
Universidad De Seville
University of Salamanca
Ramon Lull University
Universidad de Oviedo
Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC-Barcelona Tech)


Uppsala University
Stockholm University
Karolinska Institutet
KTY -Royal Institute of Technology


University of Zurich
Université de Genève

The Netherlands

Utrecht University
Utrecht University of Applied Sciences
Fontys University
Erasmus University – Rotterdam
Twente University
University of Groningen


Koç University


Goldsmiths London
University of South Wales
Cardiff University
University of East Anglia
University of St. Andrews
University of Glasgow
Durham University
Turku University of Applied Sciences
Royal Holloway London
Swansea University
Newcastle University
University of Leeds
University of Edinburgh
University of bath
Durham University
Aberystwyth University

What is Non-EU Exchange?

Non-EU exchanges, or ‘College-wide’ exchanges, are open to eligible students at Trinity. They are exchanges with universities outside Europe, so if you’re interested in studying in the USA, in Canada, in China, Hong Kong, Singapore or other such destinations these are the exchanges for you! It is important to check in with your School to know whether you are eligible for a "College Wide" exchange programme, and in what year you should expect to apply (usually second year but for some students' applications are made in third year). Trinity’s non-EU exchanges are academically competitive and allow students to demonstrate their initiative, flexibility, and willingness to adapt to new cultures – all of these skills are hugely transferrable to a work context after exchange, and are highly valued by employers!

We strongly encourage students thinking of going on non-EU exchange to investigate and research all of their options before choosing which exchanges to apply to. While non-EU exchanges can be integrated into many degree pathways, there are some restrictions for students studying Law or General Science. These exchanges are also not suitable for students in the Health Sciences. Students in these subjects: don’t despair! Talk to your Departmental Co-ordinator about the options in these fields, as you can still often spend time overseas through ‘Departmental Exchanges’ or other international placements.

Student Voices

For anyone who is on the fence about studying abroad I cannot recommend it enough that you give it a chance. You will see incredible places, experience different cultures and meet some awesome, like-minded people. Travelling is the best form of education there is, and I cannot wait to see what the coming months have in store in Hong Kong and in Asia!
Daryl Egan, Hilary Term Business School Exchange to the Chinese University of Hong Kong

Non-EU Exchange Partner Universities


Stellenbosch University

University Name
  • Stellenbosch University
Website(s) Semester Dates Application Course Load
  • Exchange students are limited to 60 RSA credits per semester (the equivalent of a full time degree-seeking student’s semester). 60 RSA credits are the equivalent of 30 ECTS.
  • You are allowed to apply for any number of courses which exceed the credit limit, but you may ultimately only register for courses to the limit of 60 credits or below.
  • Please ensure that you complete the learning agreement in your application form. While you can list more courses than you need credits for, be sure to indicate how many credits you need, and also which courses you have to take. You can take fewer courses than those you have been pre-approved for, but not a course for which you have not been pre-approved. Once Stellenbosch receive feedback from their departments on your course selection, they will return your learning agreement for counter-siganture from your academic coordinator in Trinity.
Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
  • Please note that although you can take fewer courses than those you have been pre-approved for, you cannot take a course for which you have not been pre-approved.
  • Approval for courses at Stellenbosch is done by a very strict process.
  • Make sure to familairise yourself with any departmental restrictions - please see the links in the section above to aid you in your research.
Additional Notes
  • Stellenbosch have a Matie Buddy programme in place which is designed to put you in contact with experienced Stellenbosch University students who want to assist you with your arrival in South Africa.
  • Please note that orientation is compulsory for all semester students so please ensure your timely arrival in Cape Town
  • There are over 200 fine dining restaurants located on most wine farms and in the town centre, with a variety of dining options, from indoor dining to picnics. Due to Stellenbosch being a student town, most restaurants and bistros have a laid-back setting yet still offer five-star dining. You can find out more information on living in Stellenbosch on the Things to Do in Town section of the Stellenbosch website.
  • You can also find more information on life in Stellenbosch on the Stellenbosch 360 Tourism Information Office website
  • Accommodation is not guaranteed for exchange students at Stellenbosch, so ensure early application! Stellenbosch advise that they work on a first-come, first-served basis so they recommend application even before admission.
  • If you wish to apply, please fill out the application form for unievrsity accommodation
  • Meals are not included.
  • Stellenbosch advise that the approximate cost of rent per month amount to ZAR 7200 (private accommodation) which as of the 11th of November 2019, roughly translates to approx. €440.
  • Types of housing include coops, apartments, private houses and the distance from the university varies from on-campus to a 10 km radius.
  • You can find more information on private housing on their 'Useful Accommodation Websites' page or through their 'Letting Agencies' page
Estimated Cost of Living
  • For a breakdown of living costs, please see page 7 of the Stellenbosch Fact Sheet which provides further information.
  • Please note that all students will be required to have proof of South African medical insurance for the purposes of the visa application and registration at Stellenbosch University. Students will only be able to procure this after a letter of admission has been issued. As soon as the letter has been issued, contact and apply for South African Medical Insurance. This is a requirement from the Department of Home Affairs.
  • List of Medical Scheme Options on our website: List of Medical Scheme Options on our Website
  • List of registered Medical Schemes: List of Registered Medical Schemes in South Africa


University of Melbourne

University Name
  • University of Melbourne
Website(s) Additional Material Semester Dates
  • Semester 1, 2019 (February-June)
  • Semester 1 teaching period: Monday 4 March - Sunday 2 June
  • Non-teaching period: Friday 19 April - Sunday 28 April
  • Semester 1 Exam Period: Monday 3 June - Friday 28 June**

  • Semester 2, 2019 (July-December)*
  • Semester 2 teaching period: Monday 29 July - Sunday 27 October
  • Non-teaching period: Monday 30 September - Sunday 6 October
  • Semester 2 Exam Period: Monday 28 October - Friday 22 November

  • Semester 1, 2020** (February-June)
  • Semester 1 teaching period: Monday 2 March - Sunday 31 May
  • Non-teaching period: Good Friday 10 April - Sunday 19 April

  • Semester 2, 2020 (July-December)
  • Semester 2 teaching period: Monday 27 July to Sunday 25 October
  • Non-teaching period: Monday 28 September to Sunday 4 October

  • For more details on the exam period, orientation and welcome days, please see the full calendar for 2019-2020 on page 18 in the Melbourne Study Abroad and Exchange 2019 Brochure Whereas the dates will differ for the 2020/21 intake, these dates will give you a general sense of the academic calendar at UMelb.
  • *Please note that ALL Study Abroad and Exchange students should plan to be in Melbourne until they complete all required assessment items. In the unlikely event that you are offered a special exam due to extenuating circumstances such as medical illness, you may be offered to re-sit the exam during the University's supplementary exam period. The supplementary exam period dates can be found here. If you have been offered a supplementary exam, University policy requires students to be available to attend the examination in Melbourne.
  • Note, the University of Melbourne does not make exceptions for students to sit exams at home invigilated.
  • **The dates for 2020 are provisional.
  • You must be in Melbourne ready to attend Briefing Day . If you can't make it to Briefing Day, you must seek prior approval to arrive late. You must contact the University of Melbourne office via to advise of your difficulties and request permission to arrive late.
  • Please note: Late arrival is not always approved, and if you cannot arrive before semester starts, you may be asked to defer your study to the following semester.
  • If your late arrival is approved, you will need to make arrangements to meet with an Education Abroad Advisor when you arrive.
  • Please see here for orientation and briefing day dates.
Academic Requirements
  • As well as being approved by your home institution for an Exchange or Study Abroad program, you'll also need to meet academic eligibility, English language and faculty-specific requirements to gain entry to our undergraduate and graduate subjects.
  • Please note that for elite athletes on exchange, you'll also need to meet all entry requirements mentioned to be eligible to apply for the elite athletes program Interchange.
  • You need to have completed two semesters of full-time tertiary study outside Australia at the time of entry to the University of Melbourne.
  • The University of Melbourne requires a 'C' average in the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) or higher from European countries.
  • For more information on all of these requirements, please make sure to have a look at the following link:
Course Load
  • You are required to take three to four subjects (per semester) while at Melbourne to equal a total credit load of 37.5 to 50 points (each subject is usually worth 12.5 credit points).
  • While you may have fewer contact hours than in your home institution, the demands placed on you to learn independently outside the classroom makes the workload equivalent to that which most students experience at home.
  • For each subject, you usually attend a combination of large lectures and small group tutorials or laboratory classes. Contact hours vary depending on the subjects you choose, but are usually between 12–18 hours per week.
  • As long as you meet the prerequisite requirements, you can combine these from any area. For example, you could take two subjects in science, one in business and one in arts. Of all the subjects listed in the University Handbook, there are only a few specialist areas that are not open to exchange and study abroad students. These include medicine, dentistry, health sciences, veterinary science and film and television. Some biomedicine and law subjects are also restricted.
  • While you may have fewer contact hours than in your home institution, the demands placed on you to learn independently outside the classroom makes the workload equivalent to that which most students experience at home.
  • To see how this course load is converted at Trinity, please familiarise yourself with the Grade Conversion Table.
Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
  • There are a few specialist areas that are not open to exchange and study abroad students. These include medicine, dentistry, health sciences, veterinary science and film and television. Some biomedicine and law subjects are also restricted.
  • There are restrictions in Drama, Film and Biomedicine. Students from these disciplines should only apply for this exchange if they have discussed these restrictions with their Departmental Coordinators and have their express permission. This must be made clear on your application.
  • There are specific application requirements for certain disciplines including Education, Engineering, Psychology, Science and Music.
  • Some subjects have prerequisites. You can find these on every course page and in the University of Melbourne Handbook
  • The University of Melbourne offers exchange and study abroad students a range of accommodation options to suit different personalities, budgets and lifestyles. A detailed guide is available on the UMelb website and they have a full-time staff member assisting incoming exchange and study abroad students:
  • The University also has a fantastic online noticeboard which allows University of Melbourne students (or soon to be students) to search for shared housing.
  • To read more about accommodation at UMelb, you can also refer to page 7 of the Melbourne Study Abroad and Exchange 2019 Brochure
Estimated Costs of Living
  • You can also find more information on the cost breakdown on page 15 of the Melbourne Study Abroad and Exchange Brochure
  • You should consider the following expenses when planning to study overseas:
  • Tuition fees
  • Living costs
  • Visa application fee
  • Overseas Student Health Cover
  • (OSHC) – a requirement of the Australian Government
  • Personal spending, including travel to and around Australia
Additional Information
  • #1 in Australia
  • #32 in the world
  • Safe, friendly and multicultural
  • World's most liveable city 2011-2017
  • More cafes and restaurants per number of people than any other city in the world World-class shopping
  • Mild and temperate climate (summer average: 27 degrees celsius, winter average: 13 degrees celsius - so essentially like the Irish summer!)
  • State capital of Victoria
  • Museums, galleries and theatres at your doorstep
  • Sporting capital of the world
  • You need to arrange your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) in order to receive your student visa, as this is a condition of the Department of Home Affairs.
  • It could be the University of Melbourne preferred provider (Bupa) or your own choice of provider.
  • If you arrange your own OSHC through a different provider you must include evidence of your insurance when you accept your offer. It is important that your OSHC matches your visa length; where it is shorter, the Department of Home Affairs may reduce your visa duration to match your period of OSHC cover.
  • It is your responsibility to check and comply with all student visa requirements.
  • For more information about the OSHC please see the following link:

Australian National University

University Name
  • Australian National University
Website(s) Semester Dates
  • Semester Dates 2019
  • Semester 1: Monday 25 February - Friday 31 May
  • Semester 2: Monday 22 July – Friday 25 October
  • Semester 2 examination period: Thursday 31 October - Saturday 16 November

  • Semester Dates 2020
  • Semester 1: Monday 24 February - Friday 29 May
  • Semester 2: Monday 27 July - Friday 30 October
  • Suggested arrival dates: early February (for semester 1) and early July (for semester 2)
Course Load (including ECT conversion) Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
  • Visual arts and digital arts courses taught in the School of Arts require submission of a portfolio for entry
  • Music courses taught in the School of Music require performance tape for entry
  • Law courses are only available to students in a Law program at their home university (excepting that LAWS3103 and LAWS3104 which are available to non-law students)
  • Internship courses ( ANIP) require an additional special application to the Australian National Internships Program in addition to the online exchange application
  • Engineering courses are only available to students in Engineering and some Physics programs
  • Business and economics courses. Students not enrolled in an economics, finance or business degree at their home university may only include one course from the College of Business and Economics in their program
  • 4000 level honours courses are not available to visiting students (except some ENVS, ENGN, LAWS courses)
  • Graduate courses (6000-8000) are not available to undergraduate students
Additional Notes
  • #1 in Australia
  • #1 most liveable city in the world according to OECD Index 2017
  • #3 best city in the world, according to Lonely Planet 2018
  • #22 best student city in the world, according to 2018 QS Ranking
  • Within close proximity to Parliament House
  • Shortest commute time in Australia
  • 2 hours drive from the snow and the coast!
  • 25% of Canberra population are students
  • 15 ANU subjects are ranked top 25 in the world, QS World Rankings 18/19
Estimated Cost of Living Accommodation
  • Accommodation is guaranteed for incoming exchange students.”
  • ANU has a number of accommodation options available from catered to self-catered and individual dorms to multi-share apartments. The type of accommodation that you want will impact on the cost you are looking at. Click here to browse ANU Accommodation options.
  • Please note, applying for accommodation at ANU is a separate process from applying for exchange or study abroad program. Apply through ANU accommodation portal here.
  • ANU advises that Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is a compulsory requirement for obtaining an Australian student visa. In 2019, the cost for one semester (6 months coverage) is $330 and the cost for two semesters (15 months coverage) is $771. For further information, see here for more information on the OSHC.

The University of New South Wales

University Name
  • The University of New South Wales
Website(s) Semester Dates
  • UNSW has recently introduced an innovative calendar, called 3+ that allows you to select the best study plan for you. It features three terms per year plus intensive programs in January and August. Your study plan determines the terms and therefore the length of your stay at UNSW.
  • You have the flexibility to build your Study Abroad or Exchange program based on the number of credits you need to transfer back to your home institution. The full time academic load at UNSW is 48 UNSW credits (60 ECTS) per year, which is usually taken over 8 courses.
  • For semester-based programs, you have the choice of 18 UNSW credits (3 courses, 22.5 ECTS) over a standard Term, or 24 UNSW credits (4 course, 30 ECTS) over a Tailored Term. Depending on your home institutions agreement, you may also be able to take a unique 5 or 6 course option (37.5 or 45 ECTS).
  • To start planning your Exchange at UNSW we recommend you determine the number of courses you need to take and the duration of your UNSW Study. The number of terms and therefore the length of your stay at UNSW is your study plan.
  • For more information on which tailored plan works best for you, please see the UNSW website which shows you what options are available to you based on the number of courses you will be taking: or you can also find more information on tailoring your term on pages 14 -17 in the UNSW 2020 Study Abroad and Exchange Guide
  • Below, please find all the semester dates for January Term, Term 1, Term 2, August Term and Term 3:
  • * Orientation is compulsory for all incoming Study Abroad and Exchange Students. Students commencing in the January or August Terms only need to attend the orientation in those terms.

    January Term (JT)

    Year 2019 2020
    Orientation* 7 Jan 7-9 Feb
    Teaching Period 6 Jan 6 Jan-7 Feb

    Term 1

    Year 2019 2020
    Orientation* 14 Feb 13 Feb
    Teaching Period 18 Feb - 1 May 17 Feb - 28 Apr
    Study period 2 May - 4 May 29 Apr - 1 May
    Exams 6 May - 18 May 2 May - 16 May

    Term 2

    Year 2019 2020
    Teaching Period 3 Jun - 13 Aug 1 Jun - 10 Aug
    Study period 14 Aug - 16 Aug 11 Aug - 13 Aug
    Exams 17 Aug - 31 Aug 14 Aug - 29 Aug

    August Term (AT)

    Year 2019 2020
    Orientation* 15 Aug TBC
    Teaching Period 19 Aug - 13 Sept TBC

    Term 3

    Year 2019 2020
    Orientation* 12 Aug 10 Sep
    Teaching Period 16 Sep - 25 Nov 14 Sep - 23 Nov
    Study period 26 Nov - 28 Nov 24 Nov - 26 Nov
    Exams 29 Nov - 14 Dec 27 Nov - 12 Dec
Additional Information Course Load (including ECT conversion)
  • 18 UNSW Credits per Standard Term (Typically 3 courses) – equivalent to 22.5 ECTS
  • 24 UNSW Credits per Tailored Term (Typically 4 courses) – equivalent to 30 ECTS
  • 48 UNSW Credits per Year (Typically 8 courses) – equivalent to 60 ECTS
Course Availability and Enrolment Options
  • You can study almost any course at UNSW (subject to availability) as long as you have the required background knowledge and approval from Trinity. A complete list of courses can be found in the UNSW Online Handbook
  • UNSW recommend you check the UNSW Online Timetable to ensure that your chosen courses are available.
  • Enrolment is subject to course availability and your academic background. It is important to be flexible with your course choice as some fill up quickly or may not be offered in a particular term. Some courses are restricted.

  • Internships
  • UNSW offers some internship opportunities through their Study Abroad Program. Exchange students can apply for these internships, however you will be required to pay the internship fee. The internships are worth 6 UNSW credits (or one course) and students are required to enrol in other courses to make up the full-time study load. Contact the UNSW office for further information and application forms.
Restrictions to Study
  • For a list of restricted courses and course prerequisites, please see pages 2-3 of the UNSW factsheet
  • On-campus housing
  • A variety of room types and apartments are available, including catered colleges, self-catered university apartments or privately-run colleges on (or very close) to campus. University accommodation should be pre-arranged as places are limited and not guaranteed even if applied by the deadline.
  • UNSW Accommodation includes very limited accommodation at the self-catered University Terraces, Barker Apartments, Mulwarree Apartments, and fully-catered Kensington Colleges. Information including fees, application form and deadline is sent to students after they have been accepted into the exchange program.
  • UNSW also has eight other affiliated Colleges and Apartments that provide high quality accommodation. You should apply directly to the College or Apartment as soon as possible.
  • Off-campus housing
  • For more information on off-campus housing, please see the following link:
Meal Plans Insurance
  • All students are required by the Australian government to have OSHC medical insurance for the duration of their student visa with the exception of Norwegian, Swedish and Belgium passport holders. The Study Abroad team will purchase health cover on your behalf through Medibank Private.
  • In 2018 the OSHC costs were A$250 for a term and A$300 for a tailored term.
Additional Notes
  • Student visas allow work once they have commenced their course at UNSW. You can work up to 40 hours a fortnight during session and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.

University of Queensland

  • University Name
    • University of Queensland
    • Important Notice
    • Please note that the intake in 2019/20 for the year 2020/21 will be extremely low as there are very limited places on this exchange. Please also note that the University of Queensland offers summer programmes every year which may be an option to those interested however, please note Trinity does not award credit for summer programmes.
  • Website(s)
  • Semester Dates
    • Semester 1: February - June
    • Semester 2: July - November

      Semester 1, 2020

      Orientation 17-21 Feb
      Classes 24 Feb-12 Apr
      Mid-semester break 13-19 Apr
      Semester 1 resumes 20 Apr
      Revision period 1-5 Jun
      Examination period 6-20 Jun
      Semester 1 ends 20 Jun

      Semester 2, 2020

      Orientation 20-24 Jul
      Classes 27 Jul-27 Sep
      Mid-semester break 28 Sep-5 Oct
      Semester 2 resumes 6 Oct
      Revision period 2-6 Nov
      Examination period 7-21 Nov
      Semester 2 ends 21 Nov
  • Additional Notes
    • UQ has four main campuses - St. Lucia, Ipswich, Herston and Gatton. Most exchange students study at either the St Lucia or Gatton campus. Students should try not to timetable courses taught at two different campuses on the same day. If the majority of their courses are taught on one campus (e.g. Gatton), they should make accommodation arrangements close to that campus.
    • Please refer to the University of Queensland factsheet for more information.
  • Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Australian immigration regulations require that international students are enrolled as full-time students during their studies in Australia. You must plan to enrol in a full-time load during each semester you study at UQ. A standard full-time load is eight units, which usually equates to four courses per semester.
  • Course availability and enrolment options
    • Incoming Exchange students may select from most of the 4,000 courses across UQ's six faculties.
    • Most courses at UQ are open to Incoming Exchange students, but some require permission from the relevant UQ faculty or school prior to enrolment. For courses you list on your application, UQ’s Incoming Exchange Advisors will request permission on your behalf, and you will receive a report with your letter of offer indicating which courses have been approved.
    • Most courses at UQ are open to Study Abroad and Incoming Exchange students but some require permission from the relevant UQ faculty or school prior to enrolment. UQ’s Study Abroad and Incoming Exchange Advisors will request a report with your letter of offer indicating which courses have been approved.
  • Follow these simple steps to find courses:

    1. Go to
    2. Enter a search term in the search bar – you can search by course code or area of interest – and choose ‘Courses’ from the drop down menu on the right-hand side.
    3. Check the level of the course (undergraduate or postgraduate), and which semester and campus it is offered: click on the semester for course description.
    4. On the course description page you will find a short description of the course as well as a link to a detailed course profile. A note on the left sidebar will advise if the course is pre-approved for Exchange students (if the course is not pre-approved, you must meet the prerequisites to apply).
    5. To refine your search, go back to the search results page and from the left navigation menu, select your filters: for example, refine your search to include only pre-approved courses for Study Abroad students and/or courses offered in a particular semester.
  • Restrictions to Study
    • Please note: Most Clinical Health Science courses (Medicine, Dentistry, Physiotherapy, Occupational and Speech Therapy and Vet Science courses) are not available for Incoming Exchange Students.
  • Accommodation
    • Students have three main accommodation options:
    • On-campus colleges:
    • If you want to arrange your accommodation ahead of time, have your meals catered and lots of support and activities at your fingertips, consider living at one of UQ’s Residential Colleges. Spaces at the Colleges are very limited and in high demand. Apply early to avoid disappointment.
    • Off-campus student accommodation:
    • If you want to be a little more independent but still have your accommodation arranged before you arrive, consider living in off-campus student housing. This is self-catered, furnished accommodation designed for students that can be booked online. Preferred providers are listed on the website
    • Private housing:
    • The third option is to book temporary accommodation and wait until you arrive in Brisbane to secure permanent accommodation. If you choose this option, plan to arrive in Brisbane at least two to three weeks before the start of Orientation because it can take some time to find a suitable place and get settled in. This option offers the widest variety of choices and prices. You can find more information here:
    • Guaranteed accommodation
    • Please note, UQ offers guaranteed accommodation to incoming Exchange students commencing at St Lucia or Herston campus. More information can be found here:
  • Estimated Costs of Living
  • Insurance
    • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) provides international students with basic cover for medical and hospital care costs while in Australia. OSHC is a compulsory requirement for a student visa. UQ can organise OSHC for you through its preferred provider. For more information, please see the following link: health-insurance
  • Additional Information
    • Brisbane has a population 2.3 million people
    • Voted 8th most beautiful city in the world by Rough Guides
    • One of the world's most livable cities
    • 28% of Brisbane residents were born overseas
    • Brisbane has 300+ days of sunshine!
    • For more information on life at Brisbane, please see the following link:

  • University of Sydney

    University Name
    • University of Sydney
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Summer: January - February (6 weeks)
    • Semester 1: February - June (13 weeks)
    • Short Term: June - July (6 weeks)
    • Semester 2: August - November (13 weeks)

      Key Dates for 2020

      Programme Orientation Classes Begin Exams End
      Semester 1 17 February 2019 24 February 2020 20 June 2020
      Semester 2 27 July 2020 3 August 2020 28 November 2020
      Spring Friendly 6 January 2020 6 January 2020 31 May 2020
      Short Term A 2 June 2020 3 June 2020 15 July 2020
      Short Term B 23 June 2020 24 June 2020 24 July 2020
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • The University of Sydney offers over 2500 units of study to Exchange students.
    • A 'unit' is an individual subject or class that you’ll be taking within your course. As an incoming student, you will be looking for units of study (also known as subjects) rather than a 'course', which is a complete degree. Courses are not what you need to be looking at when considering what you can study at USydney. You need to select the 'Units of Study' drop down before searching for suitable subjects.
    • For one semester, you’ll typically enrol in four units of study – each valued at 6 credit points – to make up a workload of 24 credit points. For a one-year program, you will enrol in 48 credit points across two semesters.
    • The undergraduate units of study have the numbers 1000-3000 appearing in the course code. Codes in the 1000 range typically correspond to first year study, 2000s to second year study and 3000s to third year study. Codes for postgraduate students are typically numbered 5000-6000 level.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For a comprehensive list of study options at the University of Sydney, please see the following link which lists all the courses available to you as an exchange student:
    • Select your preferred list: Master, Thematic or Department. This will take you to a current unit list.
    • Where a unit name grabs your interest, follow the link for more information, and it will take you to the unit’s course page.
    Restrictions to Study
    • While this exchange is open to students from most departments in college, there are many disciplines at the University of Sydney which have special admission requirements which may affect your acceptance into modules in your area of study.
    • Health Science: This exchange may be suitable for some Health Science students.
    • Law: The University of Sydney have a separate exchange agreement with the Law School and Law students should contact the Law School about that rather than applying for a place on this College-wide Exchange.
    Additional Information
    • USydney offers over 2500+ units to choose from to fulfil your study abroad goals
    • 1st in Australia and ranked 5th in the world for graduate employability
    • Number 1 university for student experience in Australia
    • Ranked in the world’s top 50 universities
    • Sydney is one of the world's best cities, ranked eight in the world and first in Australia
    • Most student visas allow you to work for up to 20 hours per week while school is in session*, and there is no limit on the number of hours an international student can work during recognized school vacations - the national minimum wage is around 18-19 AUD!*
    • This is accurate at time of publication but subject to change.
    Accommodation Estimated Costs of Living Insurance
    • Health insurance is compulsory for most international students who are studying in Australia. It is a condition of your student visa that you maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your studies. This cover needs to be arranged before you can apply for your student visa.
    • You can purchase your health cover through the University of Sydney or from one of the following Australian Government-approved providers, which you can find listed here:
    • Cost: $330 for 6 months (OSHC indicative rates based on the University of Sydney's preferred provider)

    Monash University

    University Name
    • Monash University
    Website(s) Additional Information
    • The Monash exchange allows students to spend one semester in Melbourne in the Australian campus, and one semester in Kuala Lumpur in the Malaysian campus.
    Semester Dates
    • The academic year runs from the end of February to the beginning of November and is divided into two semesters, each with a mid-semester break:
    • Semester 1: late February – June
    • Semester 2: late July – November
    • Each semester has 12 weeks of classes and the majority of classes have three to four contact hours per week per unit. These are followed by a three week exam period. You must study a full-time load of on-campus units while at Monash. This is normally 24 credit points made up of four units or 18 credit points to satisfy visa regulations.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • You must enrol in full-time study (18-24 credit points).
    • At Monash, degrees are referred to as courses and subjects are referred to as units. Students take a series of units as part of their course.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
      There are some subjects that, for different reasons, aren't available to you as an exchange student. For example:
    • In most cases 4th year and honours units are not available
    • Postgraduate units are only available to postgraduate students (those who have already completed a bachelor degree)
    • Units offered only offshore (Malaysia, Prato etc) are not available unless you are studying at that campus or location
    • Off-campus learning (OCL) or distance education (DE) units are not available. Students can study their units across the Clayton and the Caulfield campuses. However, those wishing to study units taught at the Peninsula, Berwick or Parkville campuses must take all their units of study at that single respective campus.

    • For a comprehensive list of all the restrictions broken down by Faculty please make sure to familiarise yourself with the Academic Considerations page.
    • As an Exchange student, you can apply for a place at the Clayton or Malaysia campuses. Even if you study at Caulfield campus in Melbourne, you can still stay at Clayton and use a free shuttle bus service offered by Monash University, which runs between the two campuses. If you prefer to stay off-campus, Monash Residential Services can help you find a place to live. To find out more, please visit
    • The Monash Abroad office will email students instructions on how to apply online for on-campus accommodation once they have successfully submitted their exchange application; students should not apply directly to Monash Residential Services (MRS).
    • Read more about all the accommodation options available to you on the Life at Monash page
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • For a comprehensive breakdown of the approximate cost of living (for both on-campus and off-campus accommodation) please see the Monash cost of living page
    • Also, keep in mind that in Australia, your student visa allows you to work on a part-time basis for up to 40 hours per fortnight during the semester. During official breaks, the number of hours is unlimited! (FYI -the national minimum wage is around 18-19 AUD!)*
    • This is accurate at time of publication but subject to change
    • Overseas Student Health Cover is a requirement for issuance of a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) which you will require for your student visa application.
    • Under Australian Government visa regulations, all international students (except those from Norway, Belgium and Swedish students with insurance provided by CSN International or Kammarkollegiet) must have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) before they can apply for a student visa.
    • The purchase of OSHC is the first step in Monash being able to issue your CoE, which is a visa application requirement.
    • Failure to purchase OSHC will result in students being non-compliant with their student visa requirements. Students can arrange to pay for their OSHC when accepting their offer through Monash. Monash University’s preferred provider is OSHC with Allianz Global Assistance and we would highly recommend students take this option. Students retain the right to choose their own OSHC provider which must come from the list of providers below.
    • For more information, please see the Insurance section of the Monash University website or alternatively please familiarise yourself with the Overseas Student Health Cover section of the Australian Department of Health website.
    • Non-Monash University OSHC preferred suppliers:
    1. Australian Health Management
    2. BUPA Australia
    3. Medibank Private
    4. NIBli
    Additional Information

    University of Western Australia

    University Name
    • University of Western Australia
    Website(s) Semester Dates Application Process
    • If you are successful in securing a place on the exchange programme with UWA, once the Trinity nomination has been received by UWA, you will be sent an email from the UWA Global Learning Office on how to apply.
    • Compulsory application documents include:
    1. a colour copy of your passport
    2. your original academic transcript (or a certified copy)
    3. a proposed study plan
    4. evidence of English language competency (if applicable)
    • Application deadlines for Semester 1 (February – June): once nominated by Trinity, your application and documents will be due by 30th November
    • Semester 2 (July – November): once nominated by Trinty, your application and documents will be due by 15th May.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Exchange students must enrol in a full academic load of 24 points per semester. Most units are worth six points, so this generally works out to four units per semester.
    • Typically, most units are offered for a semester, but some must be taken for a full year.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • UWA’s undergraduate curriculum provides you with an extensive range of majors and increased flexibility to build your own study plan according to your interests and the credit requirements of your home university. You can choose courses at different levels and across more than one discipline, provided you meet the academic prerequisites. Please note that some postgraduate units may be restricted.
    • You can search available courses on the UWA handbook at the following link: or alternatively, you can find all the courses listed on page 17 of the UWA Study Abroad and Exchange Course Guide for 2020-2021
    • Units with numbers beginning from 1 to 3 are generally undergraduate units. A code beginning with 1 represents first-year level studies, 2 represents second-year level studies and so on.
    • Some units coded 3xxx and 4xxx are common to both postgraduate and undergraduate programs.
    • Internships for credit: Placements or internships may be arranged as part of your study abroad experience. They’re usually one day a week in a supervised workplace run between 80 to 100 hours in total and can be anything from getting a feel for a legitimate working environment to participating in live projects. These practicums are available through Arts, Commerce and Science degrees. For more information please contact the Global Learning Office at
    • Service learning units: These units are another way to gain experience and they involve unpaid work with not-for-profit, community or government services. Some can earn you academic credit as well as the chance to put your degree skills to use. The McCusker Centre for Citizenship provides this kind of learning. Established in 2015, it offers all UWA students structured, quality internships with not-forprofit, community and government organisations locally, regionally and globally. Students will be matched based on their application and the internship opportunities available, and you can gain academic credit. You can find more information here:
    • Guild Volunteering: Guild Volunteering gets you off campus and into the real world to start making a difference. Broaden your mind, meet new people and develop skills in an area you’re interested in. You may also find that some volunteering is eligible for your supplementary academic transcript. You can find more information at the following link:
    Restrictions to Study
    • Units with a number beginning with 4 are generally honours level units and may require a minimum of three years’ study prior to enrolling. Please note honours level units are not always available to exchange students.
    • Units with numbers beginning with 5 and above are postgraduate level and may require a minimum of three years’ tertiary study in a relevant field prior to enrolling.
    • The Bachelor of Law program has been replaced by the Juris Doctor. As such, there are several restrictions to which Law units exchange students can enrol in. For more information, contact the Global Learning Office.
    • Postgraduate Psychology units are not available to Student Exchange and Study Abroad students.
    Additional Notes
    • One of Australia’s most affordable capital cities, Perth is more affordable than Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney, according to the Economist Intelligence Unit’s Worldwide Cost of Living Survey 2018. See for a breakdown of living expenses while on exchange at UWA.
    • Weather Averages: Summer 18–32°C | Autumn 13–26°C | Winter 9–18°C | Spring 11–23°C
    • Cultural diversity: More than 200 different nationalities live, work and study in WA, speaking more than 170 languages
    • Population of 2.6 million
    • Complete religious freedom
    • FREE WiFi in Perth city
    • You may choose to study either at the Crawley Campus in Perth or at the Albany campus, which is located in a rural city five hours south of Perth. If you are considering Albany, please contact the Global Learning Office first.
    Estimated Cost of Living
    • Cost of Living:The annual cost of living in Perth depends on your lifestyle and the type of accommodation you choose, however AUD$450–$600 per week is generally sufficient for single students to live comfortably (this does not include tuition fees or medical cover). Consider extra funds to cover various items such as airfares and textbooks. There may also be ancillary fees applicable to your course.
    • Working in Australia as an international student: Under the terms of a student visa, once an international student has commenced their course, they may work up to 40 hours per fortnight while their course is in session, and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks. More info can be found here:
    • For more information on living costs, please see page 22 of the UWA Study Abroad and Exchange Course Guide for 2020-2021
    • Living on campus
    • UWA’s five residential colleges – University Hall, St Catherine’s College, St George’s College, St Thomas More College and Trinity Residential College – provide more than just a room. Each offers a world-class living and learning environment only a few minutes away from campus. Make lifelong friends from across Australia and around the globe, and enjoy a lifestyle that includes meals, internet, all your utilities and academic support, as well as social, cultural and sporting activities and programs.
    • You can apply up to 12 months before you want to live on campus. There is no deadline, but UWA recommend applying as early as possible – you don’t have to wait until you receive an offer from UWA.
    • Find more information at the following link:
    • You can find a breakdown of resdiential college fees and charges on page 20 of the UWA Study Abroad and Exchange Course Guide for 2020-2021

    • Living off campus
    • UWA owns and manages a group of houses, units and studio apartments, collectively known as Crawley Village. They are available for UWA students to rent, and are offered either unfurnished or with partial furnishings.
    • Properties are located within walking distance of the UWA campus, shops, cafés and restaurants, banks and other amenities, and are ideally suited to postgraduate students or students with families.
    • You can rent an apartment, unit or house on your own or you can share with others. Whether you choose to rent a UWA-owned property or one that is privately or commercially listed, please note that you take full responsibility for the property and sign a rental contract.
    • As a guide, the average cost of renting or leasing an unfurnished one- or two-bedroom unit close to UWA is between AUD$265 and AUD$500 per week. There are also upfront costs to consider, such as a bond or security deposit, and utility connection fees. Other costs, such as electricity and/or gas, telephone and food, are usually not included in the weekly rent.
    • Find more information at the following link: or on page 21 of the UWA Study Abroad and Exchange Course Guide for 2020-2021

    • You can find more information on all the housing options available to you during your exchange at UWA on their accommodation website:
    • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
    • The Department of Home Affairs requires international students applying for a student visa to have Overseas Student Health Cover(OSHC) for the entire duration of their student visa.
    • This is not applicable to students from Belgium, Norway and Sweden, who are covered under a separate arrangement. OSHC is offered by a number of providers.
    • You may obtain OSHC from the provider of your choice.
    • Find more information here:


    McGill University

    University Name
    • McGill University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Fall Term 2019:
    • Classes Begin: 3rd of September
    • Classes End: 3rd of December
    • Study Day: 4th of December (Safe to say you should probably start studying well in advance of that!)
    • Exams Begin: 5th of December
    • Exams End: 20th of December (please note McGill also have evening exams)

    • Winter 2020
    • Classes Begin: 6th of January
    • Study Break: 2nd-6th of March (some exceptions apply)
    • Classes End: 14th of April
    • Study Days: 15th and 16th of April
    • Exams begin: 17th of April
    • Exams End: 30th of April
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • The maximum course load at McGill for an exchange student per term is 15 credits (12 is considered full-time).
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • McGill's course calendar includes a full description of courses available and university regulations which will govern your stay at McGill. You can browse by course, faculty or school or by programme - please see the following link which will bring you to the course calendar: or alternatively you can browse through all the course on offer at McGill:
    • The majority of undergraduate courses are available to all exchange and study abroad students. The prime determinant of entry is that a student has completed the specified prerequisite or a course of similar content and level. Students may study across different course areas (however please make sure to familiarise yourself with the restrictions).
    • Please note that the courses listed on your exchange application serve only as a guide when evaluating the application for admission. Most courses have limited enrolment, and course access and registration to any given course is not guaranteed, but is subject to availability, and may be subject to the approval of a McGill adviser. Successful completion of courses does not guarantee entrance into a future degree program at McGill. It is understood that limited enrolment, normal timetabling and scheduling constraints apply to all students, including exchange students.
    Restrictions to Study

    • Faculties not open to Exchange: Medicine, Dentistry, Continuing

    • Desautels Faculty of Management
      Courses in finance have extremely limited enrolment. Students who wish to study at the Desautels Faculty of Management may participate in this exchange but should note that as McGill have difficulty trying to place students in Accounting and Finance courses, they ask that the student is flexible with their course selection.

    • Music
    • The School of Music strongly recommends that:
    • Exchange students start in the Fall term
    • Must be registered in same program at home university
    • Certain course restrictions apply and students may be responsible for supplemental fees associated with particular courses
    • Applicants who wish to participate in lessons, ensembles, or other performance classes are required to submit a recorded audition for evaluation

    • Engineering, Management
    • Limited spaces in Chemical, Civil and Mechanical Eng. disciplines
    • Limited nominations to this faculty
    • Students may be responsible for supplemental fees associated with particular courses

    • Law
    • Normally not open to university-wide agreements (space permitting)
    • Must be registered in same program at home university

    • Graduate Programmes
    • Courses at the 600-700 level ONLY
    • MUST verify if exchange is possible (not all programs are open)
    • Must apply by program specific deadlines (not general deadlines)
    • Science
    • The following Science programs have limited enrolment:
      Anatomy and Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biology, Computer Science, Mathematics, Microbiology, Pharmacology, Physiology
    • Lab courses are not available
    • General
    • Normally, Undergraduate students wishing to register for 500 level courses must be registered in their final year of study at their home university (or they should be in an upper year or demonstrate that they meet the pre-requisites requirement. This will have to be determined by the department offering the course).
    • The following courses, among others, are not open to exchange students:
    • Courses offered at McGill University by some professional faculties that are restricted to degree candidates in their programs
    • Research project courses and thesis courses
    • Special topics courses
    • Courses in the Centre for Continuing Education
    • Exchange students are expected to register for courses offered by the faculty to which they have been accepted. Only under exceptional circumstances may they take one course per term outside of the McGill faculty to which they have been accepted, and only with permission from the admitted faculties and either the department or faculty offering the course.
    • On-Campus Housing:
    • While priority is given to first-year degree students, some places may be available for exchange students.
    • Once you have accepted your offer of admission, you should contact the Housing Office directly at
    • Fall session or full-year students: Indicate “Yes” under “Residence Accommodation” section in the online application.
    • Winter session students: student must verify available space by emailing

    • Off-Campus Housing:
    • For off-campus housing options please see the Off-campus housing website:

    Meal Plans
    • Mandatory Residential Meal Plan: This 8-month meal plan is mandatory for students living in most McGill Residences. See website for exceptions. This amounts to: $5,475
    • For more information on this mandatory plan, please see the following link:
    • Voluntary Meal Plan: This is an optional plan for students living off campus and costs $2,600
    • For more information on this optional plan, please see the followink link:
    • International Health Insurance is compulsory.
    • You can find out about the International Health Insurance plan on the International Students Services website at the following link:
    • Students are charged for the health insurance once they register for courses, however they are charged for the full year amount. In order to adjust the fee to the actual duration of the exchange, students must confirm their coverage in Minerva, starting August 1st (Fall start) or December 1st (Winter start).
    • Students who meet certain criteria may be eligible for an exemption. The list of exemption categories can be found under Eligibility for Exemption on the site indicated above. Please note that, students covered by private health insurance are not exempt from the McGill plan.
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • Students participating in the exchange program are exempt from regular tuition charges and compulsory term charges. However there some charges that they may see on their fee account:
    • International Health Insurance - approximately $330 CAD per term
    • Program/course charges that are compulsory upon registration, such as special activity charges, course materials, textbooks, music lessons, etc. - approximately $600-1000 CAD per term
    • Residence and meal plan (if applicable)
    • For a breakdown of estimated living costs, please see the following link:

    University of Toronto

    University Name
    • University of Toronto
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Fall Term 2019: September to December
    • Winter Term 2020: January to April
    • Please note that exact dates may vary based on the Faculty you are enrolled in at UoT, especially in terms of exam start and end dates
    Application Process
    • At the time of nomination, Trinity will select the U of T campus and faculty for your exchange. This information is passed on to UoT for their approval. It is very important to select the appropriate faculty and campus when applying/being nominated as this cannot be changed later.
    • Once you are nominated, students are required to apply for exchange via the University of Toronto online student application portal.
    • The online application opens annually on January 5th for the upcoming academic year (September – April). If you have been nominated by Trinity, you can apply for exchange through our Student Portal.
    • Carefully follow the instructions on Student Application Instructions (PDF) to ensure you have submitted a complete application.
    • Trinity nominations will only take place towards end of January (the timeline is not yet set) so do not worry about applying to UoT as soon as the applications open as the deadline for UoT applictaion is April the 1st.
    Additional Notes:
    • Exchange students are nominated to ONE of The University of Toronto’s three campuses:
    1. U of T St. George in downtown Toronto
    2. U of T Mississauga (UTM) to the west
    3. U of T Scarborough (UTSC) to the east

    • All three campuses are open to exchange students from Trinity and offer different experiences and opportunities.

    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • The maximum permitted course load is 2.5 credits, or 5 courses. The minimum course load to be considered a full-time student is 1.5 credits, or 3 courses. The number of credits you take will depend on what your school/department advise here in Trinity.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For information on the courses and subjects that you can study at UoT please go on the UoT inbound exchange courses website which you can find at the following link:
    • Please make sure to read through this carefully - the courses available as well as restrictions are broken down by Faculty, so select the faculty most applicable to you.
    • The UoT website is broken down into 4 steps - the above information can be found in 'Step 2'. In order to move on to step two, you will have to select the country that you're in (Ireland obviously!) and then the institution that you're studying in - again, I'm sure you'll know which to select. Once you do that, the website will bring you on to step 2. This way, the courses and/or restrictions are tailored specifically to Trinity in most cases.
    Restrictions to Study
    • As above, the restrictions as Faculty-specific so please make sure to read through the relevant section in detail - you can find all these restrictions here, broken down by Faculty:
    • If you're not sure which faculty you would belong to, have a look through all the sections and see which is most relevant to your discipline or has the course that you require.
    • On-campus housing for exchange students is only guaranteed at UoT'a Scarborough (UTSC) campus, provided the application and deposit are submitted on time.
    • While you are welcome to complete the on-campus residence application for UoT's Mississauga (UTM) and St. George (Downtown) campuses, most exchange students will live off-campus during their exchange as on-campus housing is in high demand.
    • UoT Housing offers assistance and advice to all students on housing-related matters after you are admitted as an exchange student.
    • If coming in the fall or winter terms, UoT recommends that you begin your search for off-campus housing as soon as possible, as it can take some time to get used to the competitive Toronto housing market. The Off-Campus Housing webpage is a great place to begin your search.
    • If you do not have active Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) coverage (or coverage from another Canadian province), you are required to purchase the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) while studying at U of T.
    • UHIP is mandatory. UHIP is a health insurance plan for all exchange and international students enrolled in an Ontario university. It helps to cover the cost of medical services, such as hospital and doctor visits, should you become ill while on exchange. Please familiarize yourself with your UHIP plan coverage as most dental care, prescription drugs, eye care, and various kinds of therapies are not covered by UHIP.
    • Exchange students are NOT eligible for U of T supplementary insurance plans. For additional coverage, we recommend that you purchase travel health insurance before you arrive.
    • In 2019/2020, the cost of the UHIP was $53 per month. This rate is subject to change for upcoming years. For example: If you are on exchange for the fall term only, your UHIP fee will be $212 ($53 x 4 months).
    • When you first login to ACORN to view your fees, you may notice that you have been charged for 12 months coverage. This is because fees are automatically calculated for the full calendar year. These fees will be adjusted to match the amount of time you will be studying at U of T. Do not pay the fee until it has been adjusted.
    • You will need to show your UHIP card and fill out a claim form every time you use health care services, so be sure to register online, print your card and carry it with you at all times. (Claim forms are not required at the U of T Health and Wellness Centre).
    • Payment is due by the end of the first month that you are at U of T. There are three options for paying UHIP and fees and you can find more information on this as well as all the information above at the following link: under the 'Get your Health Insurance (UHIP)' section.

    University of British Columbia

    University Name
    • University of British Columbia
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Term 1: September-December
    • Term 2: January-April
    • You can find the exact term dates at the following link: as they are yet to be confirmed for the year ahead.
    Application Process
    • Once you have been nominated by Trinity you will have to complete UBC's online application. UBC will email you with further instructions, including the URL to their online application. Please submit your application by the deadline indicated in the email. Once you have submitted the online application, you will receive a confirmation email indicating your UBC student number. Students wishing to attend MRNE (Marine Science) courses must submit a separate application to Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre (BMSC) after completing the exchange application. MRNE courses are taught at BMSC located on Vancouver Island. Additional fees will apply.
    • For more information on the application procedure please see UBC'S Application Guidelines page
    Additional Notes
    • UBC’s two main campuses are situated in Vancouver and in Kelowna in the Okanagan Valley.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Undergraduate exchange students typically take between 9 and 15 credits per semester at UBC, depending on degree requirements at their home university. Your School or Department in Trinity will advise you on the minimum course load required during your exchange for your course.
    • Students must maintain registration of a minimum of 9 credits per term to be considered as a full-time student at UBC.
    • If you are living in one of the student residences or considering working with a valid Study Permit, you must maintain your full-time student status.
    • There is a credit limit for both full year (30 credits/year) and single-term students (18 credits/term).
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study Accommodation
    • Estimated on-campus housing is approximately $3,000 – 3,500* CAD per term
    • *The cost of housing depends on the location, size and type. There are apartment, townhouse style accommodations available (eg. Walter Gage, Fairview Crescent, Ritsumeikan-UBC House, Marine Drive).
    • For detailed costs for each residence, please check the UBC Vancouver Housing website:
    • Estimated off-campus housing options:
    • Shared housing: $2,800+/term
    • Private housing: $4,000+/term
    Estimated Cost of Living Insurance
    • iMED is the basic health insurance required for all new international exchange students. Enrolment is automatic upon registration in your courses. For more information (including coverage dates), please visit the iMED page on the UBC website for further information (including coverage dates):
    • Single-term exchange: $252 CAD per term plus a $9.55 direct billing fee for iMED. If you are a single-term exchange student, iMED will cover you for the duration of your stay (approximately four months and one week).
    • Full-year exchange: $180 CAD plus a $9.55 direct billing fee for iMED covering three-month waiting period for the British Columbia Medical Services Plan (MSP). Students on exchange for six months or longer are required to apply for MSP. As there is a three-month waiting period for MSP, students are covered by iMED during this period. Full-year exchange: $75 CAD per month for BC Medical Services Plan (MSP)

    University of Waterloo

  • University Name
    • University of Waterloo
  • Website(s)
  • Semester Dates
    • At the University of Waterloo two terms of study are equivalent to a full academic year however Waterloo operate on a trimester system: Fall: September- December, Winter: January- April, Spring: May-August
    • Fall Semester: September - December
    • Winter Semester: January - April
    • Spring Semester: May - August
  • Application Process Course Load
    • The full-time course load is 5 courses per term (equivalent to 2.5 credits) with a minimum of 3 courses per term (equivalent to 1.5 credits). Most of the UWaterloo courses are assessed as a credit of 0.5 and are approximately 39 teaching hours per term. One undergraduate course at 0.5 credits is equivalent to 6 European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS). Details of specific credit weights and teaching hours per course are available via UWaterloo's undergraduate schedule of classes.
    • In addition to maintaining full-time status in undergraduate level courses, a student may enrol in a maximum of one graduate course during their exchange at Waterloo. For students participating in an exchange longer than one term, a maximum of two graduate courses may be allowed. Please refer to UWaterloo's undergraduate calendar for information regarding their grading system.
    Course availability and enrolment options
    • If you are coming to Waterloo on exchange, you will be required to complete course selection for your first term of study as part of your application. Prior to filling out the application, ensure that you follow these three steps:
    • View course descriptions through the undergraduate calendar and have courses pre-approved for credit transfers at Trinity prior to applying for the exchange. Pay close attention to the pre-requisite requirements for each course to ensure you have the required background for the courses you are requesting. The Glossary of Terms can help if you’re not sure what something in the undergraduate calendar means.
    • Review the undergraduate schedule of classes (paying close attention to the search code applicable for each term). You can look at course offerings for the same term in the previous year if the schedule for the term you are applying for is not yet available. Please note that some courses may include supplementary tutorials (TUT) or labs (LAB) in addition to the lectures (LEC). When reviewing the schedule of classes and evaluating time conflicts, you should consider these items as well (if applicable).
    • On your application, list up to ten courses in order of priority, allowing for a couple of “back-up” courses in the event that restrictions or scheduling conflicts arise. Additional courses will not be reviewed until after you are admitted.
    Restrictions to Study Accommodation
    • Living on campus gives you the convenience of being minutes away from class in a safe and secure environment. It is a great way to meet new people and it is all-inclusive so your furniture, utilities, high-speed internet and a weekly a grocery shuttle will be provided. Apply for a spot in Waterloo Residences before November 8 (winter only) and March 1 (spring only). Fall term and fall/winter term exchange students are placed on a first-come, first-served basis, and spots are limited.
    • All the information on campus housing and price plans and options can be found at the following link:
    • You also have the option to live off-campus with either Waterloo Co-operative Residence Inc. (WCRI) or Off-Campus Housing.
    Estimated Cost of Living Insurance
    • You will be enrolled in two health insurance plans while on exchange in Canada.
    • The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) covers basic health care services, such as medical doctor appointments, hospital visits, and most diagnostic tests.
    • The Studentcare extended Health and Dental Plan covers extra costs like prescription drugs, paramedical practitioners, vision, and dental care. You can opt out of the extended health and dental insurance if you meet the criteria and can prove that you have equivalent coverage. Applications for UHIP exemption are only considered if you meet the criteria outlined on the UHIP website.


    Beihang University

    University Name
    • Beihang University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Autumn semester 2019
    • Dormitory open for check-in: September 2, 2019
    • Orientation and start of the semester: September 4, 2019
    • Moon Festival: September 13-15, 2019
    • National Day Holiday: October 1-7, 2019
    • Final exams end: around January 10, 2020

    • Spring semester 2020 (to be confirmed)
    • Dormitory open for move-in: February 23, 2020
    • Orientation and start of the semester: February 24, 2020 Tomb-sweeping Festival: April 4-5, 2020 Labor Day: May 1-3, 2020 Semester ends: June 26, 2020
    Language of Instruction
    • Beihang is one of the first Chinese universities to offer postgraduate programmes in English for international students. Currently, over 250 of their courses can be taught in English. At the undergraduate level, seven subject areas offer English-taught courses. More choices are available at the postgraduate level.
    • Note that incoming exchange students can select courses across a range of subject areas and are not restricted to courses only in their major. It is also possible for undergraduate exchange students to choose courses from postgraduate programs, and vice versa. However, courses are taught only once a year, either in the spring semester or in the autumn semester.
    Course Load
    • One credit at Beihang generally equals to 16 hours of lecture time, around 2-2.5 ECTS credits. Their grading scale is as follows: 0-59 Fail; 60-69 Average; 70-84 Good; 85-100 Excellent. Transcripts of records will be sent to Trinity either in late March or late September.
    • In parallel with your regular studies, you can take Chinese language courses for 4 to 20 hours a week, depending on your proficiency level. Application for such courses takes place on arrival. Elementary courses are free of charge and Intermediate courses may incur an extra fee of ¥6000 per semester.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For a list of available undergraduate courses taught through English, please see the following link:
    • Please note that course offerings at UG level are limited to the following schools: School of Electronic and Information Engineering, School of Automation Science and Electrical Engineering, School of Aeronautic Science and Engineering, School of Mechanical Engineering and Automation, School of Transportation Science and Engineering, School of General Engineering(International Model School, School of Economics and Management.
    • For a list of available postgraduate courses taught through English, please see the following link:
    Restrictions to Study
    • There is a very limited number of modules delivered through English at Beihang University. Please see the above section for a list of courses that you can study.
    • Please also be advised that students who hold a Chinese passport cannot be admitted as exchange students in China.
    Additional Information Accommodation Insurance
    • Students are required to register for Comprehensive Insurance & Protection Scheme for Foreigners Staying in China. The cost is ¥400/6 months.

    Peking University

    University Name
    • Peking University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Autumn Semester: September - January
    • Spring Semester: February – June
    Language of Instruction

    • Proficiency in Chinese is generally required.

    • Students who are proficient in Chinese can apply to be enrolled in the relevant school/department either by providing the HSK certificate or by passing the Chinese language test upon registration. HSK requirements - new HSK test: Level 6, old HSK test: Level 7.

    • Students who are not proficient in Chinese can only be enrolled in School of Chinese as a Second Language. As the courses in the School of Chinese as a Second Language are generally all in the areas of Chinese language and culture, these courses would be unsuitable for most Trinity students. While studying in this school, students can also choose 1-2 English courses per semester at other schools/departments if the courses and quotas are available, however this is generally not enough to make up a full course load. The limited number of English modules at undergraduate level are mainly in the School of Economics, Guanghua School of Management and the School of Law.

    • Senior Visiting Students and Research Scholars are not required to take the Chinese language proficiency exam, on the premise that the candidate experiences no obstacles in communicating with their supervisor.

    Course Options & Course Load
    • Language students should only take Chinese language courses at the School of Chinese as a Second Language and must take a language course load of 18 academic hours per week minimum.
    • Subject-study students normally should only take undergraduate courses,and the course load should be no less than 6 credits and no more than 20 credits in total per semester.
    • Subject-study students should obey the principle of resource priority. Degree-seeking students of Peking University have priority in courses registration. Courses provided by special programs first meet the demands of their students.
    • The Ministry of Education of China requires that all international students must purchase the medical insurance designated by Chinese universities and be medically insured throughout their entire planned period of study. Students who do not have valid medical insurance will not be allowed to register.
    • Peking University international students are required to purchase the Comprehensive Insurance Plan for Foreign Students, which is offered by the Ping An Annuity Insurance Company of China, on the day of registration. Recipients of the Chinese Government Scholarship will have their health plan prepared/purchased by the government. Please note that students without valid medical insurance are not allowed to register.
    • Ping An Insurance Company:
    • Tel: 4008105119-1
    • Web:
    • International Students may live on campus at the Shao Yuan Student Dormitory or Zhongguanyuan Global Village. Students who live on campus must abide by the rules and regulations of their residence. International Students who extended their duration of study will not be provided with on-campus housing arrangements.
    • Students may also choose to live off campus under the condition that they must register themselves at the police station of their residential area and obtain Accommodation Certificate from the local police station. If you are living off campus, do ensure that your rental contract with you landlord is legitimate and reliable.The Division of International Students’ Office also provides students with information regarding off-campus housing. Please consult the staff at the office if you wish for such assistance.

    Tsinghua University

    University Name
    • Tsinghua University
    Website(s) Semester Dates Application Process Additional Information
    • Tsinghua University is ranked #16 in the world according to QS rankings
    • Tsinghua offer other programmes such as the Schwarzman Scholars (a funded Masters in Global Affairs programme - a great opportunity for students finishing up their degree in Trinity - find more info here: as well as a fantastic summer school which previous Trinity students have attended and thoroughly enjoyed! You'll be able to find up to date information on the Summer Programmes page closer to December/January when Tsinghua open up their applications and circulate information!
    • If you are applying for admission to the University-level Student Exchange Program and coming from a partner university of Tsinghua in the following regions, you may have an opportunity to be nominated for the following special Chinese Government Scholarships, which are established by Chinese Government to promote student exchange between Chinese universities and foreign partner universities.
    • Credit Student Scholarship for China-Europe Exchange: RMB 3000 per month. Exchange students from partner universities in Europe that have signed university-level student exchange agreements have the chance to be granted with the scholarship.
    • World-renowned University Scholarship: RMB 3000 per month. Exchange students from partner universities that have signed university-level student exchange agreements have the chance to be granted with the scholarship.
    • For more information about Chinese Government Scholarship, please visit the website of China Scholarship Council (CSC).(
    • You can contact the exchange office at Tsinghua regarding this by emailing:

    • Confucius Institute Scholarship
    • The Confucius Institute Scholarship is established by the Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) to encourage and support International students to study Chinese language and culture in China. Tsinghua University is authorized by Hanban to enroll the Confucius Institute Scholarship students who will be studying Chinese language in China for one semester or one year. The Scholarship application should be recommended by the Confucius Institute or the Education Section of Chinese Embassies in the applicant's home country.
    Course Load
    • The maximum credits that may be taken is 20 each semester, of which a maximum of 8 credit hours may be chosen from departments other than that of your major discipline. (The information in this section was correct as of 2017 and is currently pending confirmation from partner for 2019).
    Language of Instruction
    • There are nearly 300 English-taught courses open to the exchange students.
    • Students applying for an exchange place at Tsinghua University should pass Band six of HSK unless they have studied the Chinese language for at least two years or they choose to study only modules taught in English. (If you are proficient in Chinese this must be made clear on your application).
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For an idea of the English language modules available to you please see the two documents below:
    • Courses in English, Spring 2019
    • Courses in English, Fall 2019
    • This exchange is most suitable for Engineering, Economics & Management, Law, International Relations and offers some Sciences subjects but students would need to carry out their own reseearch to ensure they can take enough modules in their area to meet academic requirements in Trinity.
    Restrictions to Study
    • There are a limited number of modules delivered through English at Tsinghua University so this exchange will only be suited to some students.
    • In some cases, undergraduate exchange students may take some graduate level modules at Tsinghua and this will open up a wider variety of English-medium modules for them.
    • Students who are proficient in Chinese may take courses in Chinese and in English. (The information in this section was correct as of 2017 and is currently pending confirmation from partner for 2019).
    • The number of on-campus apartment rooms are limited. New students need to book rooms in advance within the time specified.

      On Campus Accommodation:
    • If your dormitory application is successful, you have to complete the check-in procedure within the designated time.
    • Bring your admission notice, passport, and accommodation payment to the general reception desk of the Zijing International Student Apartments to get the Registration Form of Temporary Residence.

      Off-Campus Accommodation:
    • Each international student who lives off-campus needs to accompany the landlord to the local police station to register within 24 hours after moving into the apartment in order to acquire a Registration Form of Temporary Residence.
    • If you have to renew or extend your visa and/or re-enter China, you can re-register with the police without the landlord present. Simply bring your passport and Registration Form of Temporary Residence to the local police station to complete the procedure.
    • The health insurance system for the accidental injury and hospitalization of international students has been implemented in China. The insurance fees for scholarship-sponsored students are paid by the Ministry of Education of PRC. Self-financing students staying for no less than half a year can apply for the insurance at their own expenses upon registration. The students not joining health insurance are not allowed to register.
    • For the international students sponsored by CSC scholarshipsfree medical care is provided:
      1. CSC scholarships students shall first see a doctor at Tsinghua University Hospital with student IC card. Certificates from the University Hospital are required when the international students in concern need to transfer to some assigned hospitals due to serious diseases. The out-patients first pay for the medical expenses at assigned hospitals by themselves and will be reimbursed at FSAO with the receipt. Those students who get medical care at another hospital without permission or purchase medicines at their own wish shall bear the medical expenses by themselves. The insurance company will indemnify the medical expenses for accidental injury or hospitalization according to the insurance policy.
      2. The following medical expenses are not included in the free medical service: registration fee at the hospital, food served in the hospital, spectacles, teeth filling, false teeth fitting, teeth extraction, child birth, abortion, corrective therapies for physical defects, nutritious food, non-prescription medicine and expenses on treating chronic diseases starting before the international students came to China. Students, hurt or killed because of participating in fighting or other violations of university rules or laws, shall bear their own medical expenses.
      3. All the receipts for medical care should be submitted for reimbursement within two months after issuing.
    • For self-financing international students: Self-financing students can seek medical care at the University Hospital or other hospitals at their own expenses. Those who have joined medical insurance will be reimbursed based upon the insurance policies.

    University Nottingham Ningbo China

    University Name
    • University Nottingham Ningbo China
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Autumn Semester: September - January
    • Spring Semester: February - June
    • Full Academic Year: September - June
    • You can find specific dates, as well as the provisional dates for 2020-21 and 2021-22 in the UNNC Academic Calendar
    Application Process
    • After you have been nominated by home university, you will then receive an automatic email send from our IOMS ( with your username and password for online application.
    • Students will then need to fill in online form and upload relevant supporting documents including:
      1. Your most recent academic transcript
      2. copy of your passport
      3. passport size photo
      4. copy of your English language test result (if applicable)
    • Once UNNC receive your completed online application, it may take at least 2-3 weeks for UNNC school approval. You will receive an automatic email once your modules approved and you can then proceed next steps including accommodation application, payment of fees and airport pick up service.
    • The application deadline to UNNC is:
      1 May for September entry
      30 October for January/February entry
    • Please note that UNNC offers multiple scholarships for exchange students:

    • University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) Mobility Scholarships
    • Up to RMB 650,000 (USD 100,000) scholarships available to 50% incoming students.
    • Eligibility: Candidates must be from outside Mainland China (incl. Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan). Candidates should be nominated by home institution.

    • Ningbo International Student Government Scholarships for Exchange Students
    • RMB 6,000 (USD 900) each per academic year available to 5% incoming students.
    • Eligibility: Candidates must be a foreign citizen (except Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan). Candidates should demonstrate high levels of academic performance; candidates should apply from the Global Engagement Office at UNNC.
    Additional Information
    • UNNC offer free Chinese language lessons
    • All the study programmes at UNNC are all delivered in English
    • Ningbo city was ranked in the Forbes List of Top Cities for Business in China
    • Please note, UNNC offer summer programmes. More information on these will be available in December/early January so keep your eye on the Summer Programmes page
    Language of Instruction
    • All undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Ningbo are conducted entirely in English with the same teaching and evaluation standards as at Nottingham UK by staff either seconded from Nottingham UK or appointed internationally to the University of Nottingham standards.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Students are required to undertake a full time course of study for one or two semesters. Modules are normally worth 10-20 credits each. The average full time workload is 60 Nottingham credits (30 ECTS credits) in one semester and 120 credits (60 ECTS credits) over two semesters in one year; 50 credits is the minimum full-time workload in one semester.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • UNNC offers a wide range of subjects for your period of study abroad, including Business, International Communications, International Studies, Economics, Science and Engineering, English at different levels including UG and PG.
    • Please see the following link for details on subjects that you can study at UNNC:
    • For module details, please refer to the Module Catalogue
    • Ensure to choose modules at the appropriate level for your degree - further information on this can be found in the UNNC 2019-2020 Fact Sheet (they don't have page numbers but it's the one with all the students on a boat :D )
    Restrictions to Study
    • The exchange with UNNC will not be suitable to all students, especially in the Arts given that they have fewer disciplines than in Trinity. This exchange is suitable for Business, Engineering, Language, International Studies and Science students predominantly but carry out your own due diligence and see what courses are available to you!
    • Students will live in an International Student Residence Hall on campus with other students from around the world where all the rooms are fully furnished. There are several options available for international students.
    • Further information on on-campus accommodation in UNNC is available online:
    • You can find more information on costs and options in the UNNC 2019-20 Fact Sheet under the Accommodation section.
    Estimated Living Costs
    • Please see the UNNC 2019-20 Fact Sheet for more info on the estimated costs of living. (Again, no page number but it has cost of living in huge writing on top of the page so you can't miss it!)
    • All international students must be covered by 'Comprehensive International Student Insurance of Pacific Insurance (Group) Co., Ltd. (CPIC) for his/her whole study period. CPIC shall undertake the following insurance liabilities during the period of insurance: (it gets a bit grim) deadth insurance, accidental disability insurance, medical insurance for accidental injury,outpatient, emergency and hospitalization. This insurance costs 800 RMB for a year or 400 RMB for six months.

    Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University

    University Name
    • Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
    • For more information on exchange at XJTLU, please see their website:
    • Please also make sure to read through the XJTLU Welcome Guide 2019. This is a very comprehensive guide that goes into a lot of detail - bear in mind this was created for full-degree international students and not specifically for exchange students, but it covers a lot of information which will be useful for you when embarking on exchange at XJTLU and China!
    Application Process
    • Exchange students should apply through their home institution’s study abroad office.
    • The home university will then nominate students to XJTLU.
    • After receiving the list of nominated students, XJTLU will invite each student to complete an application form.
    • The student ppplication deadline for an autumn semester start is 1 May
    • The student application deadline for a spring semester start is 30 November
    Language of Instruction
    • All modules, except the intermediate and advanced Chinese language courses, are taught through English.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Students normally study 20 credits per semester
    • Choose your modules in order of preference when you submit your selections to XJTLU
    • You should apply for more modules than you need (XJTLU strongly recommend 40 credits per semester), in case you do not get your first choice because of timetable clashes and/or module changes
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For a list of all courses, please see the following link:
    • This will bring you to a list of all the courses - note, these are clickable and will then bring you to all the modules within that course.
    • The first number in the module code refers to the undergraduate level at XJTLU (0, 1, 2, and 3). Undergraduate degree courses at XJTLU are four years with general education covered in level zero. Degree-specific content is taught at levels one, two and three according to the typical three-year model in England, Wales and Northern Ireland and Ireland.
    Restrictions to Study
    • An exchange student can study a maximum of one Chinese Language module (CLT module) per semester.
    • China Studies (CCS) and Physical Education (PHE) modules are not available for exchange students.
    • Exchange students are guaranteed accommodation in the International Students’ Apartment. Once exchange students have accepted the offer letters, the XJTLU Global team will book accommodation for students. There’s no accommodation application needed separately.
    • For more information about accommodation, please see the following link:
    Estimated Cost of Living Insurance
    • From the point of registration with the university, all students are insured by a basic insurance package, which covers, for example, accidental injuries, hospitalisation, death, and disability caused by accidents.
    • Due to the government’s processing system, it takes around 6 months to receive your insurance card. In this case, after occurrence of any medical expenses in the hospital, you need to keep the receipts and then go through a manual reimbursement procedure. You should be aware that the basic insurance package is not direct billing, so you will need to pay cash and then claim back the treatment or medication expenses afterwards.
    • It is important to budget for potential medical costs and we advise you to keep at least 10,000 RMB in your Chinese bank account in case of medical emergencies.
    • Should you wish to you can choose to upgrade this insurance to include other services such as dental and private clinics; however, it may be more financially viable to consider purchasing insurance from your home country if you want more comprehensive coverage.
    • If you already have purchased a medical insurance in your home country, you may want to check whether you can extend it to cover your stay in China.
    • It is strongly recommended that you buy travel insurance before you leave your home country. You will need to be careful to ensure that long stay is covered by the company. A good travel insurance should cover basic medical, possessions, delay and cancellation, in addition to repatriation and legal expenses.
    • Please note, this information was correct as of 2017 - pending confirmation from partner for 2019.

    Hong Kong

    The Chinese University of Hong Kong

    University Name
    • The Chinese University of Hong Kong - Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Semester 1: September – December
    • Semester 2: January – April
    Application Process Language of Instruction
    • Cantonese is the main spoken language in Hong Kong, but CUHK is a multilingual university, with English or Putonghua (Mandarin) used as the languages of instruction for many courses.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • At CUHK, one unit (credit) is roughly equivalent to one hour of instruction per week. Most 3-unit courses are composed of 3 hours of lectures, or 2 hours of lecture and 1 hour of tutorial per week. Academic departments will evaluate students' performance according to their own standards. Students will receive credits for all successfully completed courses.

    • Undergraduate students (exchange and study abroad students) must take a full load of courses i.e. a minimum of 9 units and a maximum of 18 units per term. Those who want to learn Chinese can take Chinese proficiency courses offered by the Yale-China Chinese Language Centre.

    • Postgraduate exchange and study-abroad students, except those from programmes with a specific course-load requirement, can either take a full load of 9 to 18 units of courses, or conduct research by taking a minimum of three units per term.

    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • This exchange is open to the following disciplines:
    • Maths
    • Chinese
    • Sociology Studies
    • Economics & Finance: Global Economics & Finance, Quantitative Finance, Quantitative Finance & Risk Management Science
    Restrictions to Study
    • The following restrictions apply to exchange students:
    • Faculty of Medicine courses (except some public health courses)
    • Faculty of Education courses (except some sports science and physical education (SPED) courses taught in English and those physical education (PHED) course with an X after the course number)
    • Student orientated teaching (STOT) courses
    • Courses under MSc in Advanced Environmental Planning Technologies
    • Courses under MSc in Hospitality and Real Estate Management
    • Courses under MSc in Housing Studies Programme
    • FINA courses under MSc in Finance Programme offered by the Department of Finance
    • MEDN courses under biology programme in the School of Life Sciences
    • For further information on course restrictions (including Law restrictions) please see the following link:
    Additional Information
    • This exchange is part year
    • Term 2 is the preferred semester for exchange

    • Undergraduate Hostels
    • Single rooms are not available for undergraduate exchange and study-abroad students.
    • For more information, see the Accommodation Application section in the FAQ or please visit the following link for more information on accommodation options at HKU:
    • Living with local students will help students with the transition to a new environment and immerse into the Chinese culture.
    • On-campus housing is automatically assigned to admitted students, additional application is not required.

    • Postgraduate Hostels
    • The Jockey Club Postgraduate Hall PGH1 provides single rooms. You can also live off-campus, but private rentals in Hong Kong are expensive.
    • Housing for married graduate students is limited, so international students with a spouse or family might need to seek accommodation off campus.
    • You should arrange accident and sickness insurance that includes emergency-evacuation and repatriation expenses for the duration of your stay in Hong Kong at your own cost.
    • If you plan to travel outside Hong Kong, make sure your insurance policy covers the place you are visiting.
    • Before you arrange your own insurance, check with your parents first if you are covered by any health insurance policies they have.
    • Bring a copy of any insurance policies you have to Hong Kong; when you first report to the Office of Academic Links you will be asked for copies in case of an emergency.
    Estimated Costs of Living

    The University of Hong Kong

    University Name
    • The University of Hong Kong- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • September- November (assessment in December)
    • January – April (assessment in May)
    Application Process Additional Information Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Students are required to take a minimum of 24 credits (6 credits per course in general) to usually a maximum of 30 credits per semester and at least 3 courses (worth 18 credits) must be chosen from one single faculty, with the remaining credits from other faculties. (For Faculty of Business and Economics, the minimum and maximum credits is 6 and 30 respectively.)
    • All courses, except those offered by the School of Chinese, are taught in English. Taught master-level programmes are generally not offered to exchange students. If you wish to conduct research under a supervisor, please contact for procedures.
    • Students are required to check the course pre-requisite / requirement before selecting.
    • Actual enrolment is subject to class availability and class schedule.
    • The HKU credit system is based on the ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) model. A semester of study in HKU and in a ECTS-compliant institution will be considered as equal in credit value under normal circumstances. However, the actual credit transfer of courses will be subject to the policies and procedures of your home institution.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • The following disciplines are open to exchange students:
    • Business
    • Computer Science
    • Mathematics
    • Sociology
    • Arts & Humanities – Chinese & China Studies, English, History, Linguistics, Philosophy

      All courses are taught in English apart from Chinese Language courses (course codes start with CHIN – e.g. CHIN2013).

    Restrictions to Study
    • Faculty of Business & Economics:
    • Courses offered by the Faculty of Business and Economics (FBE) are highly competitive. Students who are in their final year in particular, should note that course enrolment is NOT guaranteed.
    • Students who apply to FBE should have a grade level of B average / CGPA 3.0 / Satisfactory level.
    • Students should have already completed the course prerequisites before requesting to enrol in courses with pre- requirements Co-registration (e.g taking Microeconomics I and II together in a semester) is not allowed.
    • Economics and Finances courses highly emphasize mathematics.

    Additional Information
    • Selection Process During Course Selection Period in August
    • Course approval method: first-come-first-served
    • During the course selection period in August, your selections of Common Core courses are time-stamped. Pending approval of courses enrolment, you are able to check your position in the queue as well as the number of vacancies available in the course. The system will approve your course selection on a first-come-first-served basis.
    • Any enrolments not approved as a result of oversubscription will be placed on a ranked waiting list. The system will perform the enrolment approval process a few times a day and you can check and make changes to your course selection online during the course selection period.

    • Highly competitive. Possible to apply before offer of admission. Offers made on a first-come, first-served basis.
    • For more information, see the Accommodation Application section in the FAQ or please visit the following link for more information on accommodation options at HKU:
    Meal Plans Insurance
    • You should arrange, at your own cost, accident and sickness insurance for the duration of your studies in Hong Kong. The coverage should include provisions for emergency evacuation/rescuer's expenses and repatriation.
    • If you plan to travel outside Hong Kong, you should make sure that your insurance policy covers those destinations as well.

    Hong Kong University of Science & Technology

    University Name
    • Hong Kong University of Science & Technology- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Fall term: Early September to late December
    • Spring term: Late January /early February to late May
    Additional Information Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • The Fall and Spring terms are each 13 weeks long.
    • Most courses at HKUST are 3 credits, with three hours of lectures per week, totalling 39 lecture hours per term.
    • The normal credit load is 15 credits (5 courses) each term.
    • The minimum credit load is 12 credits (4 courses) and the maximum is 17–18 credits (6 courses).
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Exchanges are open to the following schools:
    • School of Science (SSCI) - Students in non-Science majors will be considered
      Life Science (LIFS)
      Mathematics (MATH)
      Chemistry (CHEM)
      Physics (PHYS)
    • School of Engineering (SENG) - Only students in Engineering majors will be considered
    • School of Business and Management (SBM) - Only students in Business majors will be considered
    • School of Humanities and Social Science (SHSS) - Only students in Humanities, Social Science or related majors will be considered
    Restrictions to Study
    • Exchange students are restricted from taking the following courses:


      Please see the below link for more information in the course catalogue. Please note that not all courses in the catalogue are available every term, and will be confirmed before the term starts. The below link also has more information on course codes, credits and course listings.

    • Undergraduate exchange students are provided with on-campus housing. After HKUST confirms your nomination status with your home institution, you will be sent information on student housing.
    • To be eligible, you must apply by the deadline given by the University. There are nine halls on campus that are available for undergraduate exchange students.
    • You may indicate your hall preference when you apply. Subject to availability, the University will allocate hall places according to the stated preference. Housing check-in for exchange students is usually in the week before the start of the school term. Most rooms are double occupancy, and some are triple. Only three halls have single rooms available.
    • You must have appropriate travel insurance that covers the duration of your study. Your insurance must meet a basic set of specifications that HKUST requires. If you are unable to do so, you can purchase a plan through HKUST that meets all the requirements. For more details about the insurance:

    City University Hong Kong

    University Name
    • City University Hong Kong- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Semester A: September – December
    • Semester B: January – May
    • Summer Term: June – August
    Application Process Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Under Hong Kong's immigration and visa policies, non-local students who do not have the right of abode or the right to land in Hong Kong are normally required to take up full-time studies. At CityU, this means enrolling for 12-18 credit units per semester and 6-7 credit units for the summer term.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Accommodation
    • Accommodation is available but not guaranteed.
    • As medical expenses can be quite high in Hong Kong, exchange students are required by CityU's policies to have medical and travel insurance coverage during their stay at the University. Please visit (Click on 'Incoming Exchange Students' -> 'Health & Insurance') for details.
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • Living costs will vary depending on individual lifestyle expectations. A basic student budget is estimated to be HK$4,500 (per month) including meals, transport, laundry and education expenses for books and stationery.


    Ashoka University

    University Name
    • Ashoka University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Autumn term: Mid-August to mid-December
    • Spring term: Mid-January to early May
    • You can consult exact dates in the Academic Calendar
    Application Process Course Availability and Restrictions
    • To find out more about available modules for visiting students please get in touch with the study abroad office at
    • You can peruse the course catalogue to see what modules are available
    Additional Notes
    • Students interested in attending Ashoka University for an exchange will have to get in touch with the University at and request further up to date information.
    • Ashoka University offers liberal arts style courses and programmes
    • Ashoka University is India´s largest collective philanthropic initiative and is located in the Rajiv Ghandi Education City
    • It is mandatory for all students to say in Ashoka University accommodation.

    O.P. Jindal Global University

    University Name
    • O.P. Jindal Global University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Autumn Semester: Early August to early December
    • Spring Semester: Early February to early June
    • Refer to the Academic Calendar for further info on dates.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Additional Notes
    • Students interested in attending OP Jindal for their exchange should get in touch with the international office by submitting a request through
    • JGU is located on a 80-acre residential campus in the National Capital Region (NCR) of Delhi
    • O P Jindal is considered #751-800 in the world by QS Rankings 2019.
    Accommodation Insurance
    • Students should find their own Health Insurance for their time in O P Jindal.


    Tokyo University

    University Name
    • Tokyo University- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • S Semester: April – August
    • A Semester: September – March
    Application Process
    • Exchange students need to be nominated by their home universities. Please contact the office responsible for student exchange at your home university and check the application procedures and documents necessary for the exchange programs to study or to research at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences/College of Arts and Sciences of UTokyo.
    • For further information on the documents required for the application process please see the following link: under the Application Procedures and Deadlines section.
    Additional Information
    • This exchange is a faculty-level exchange with the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.
    • The AIKOM Program, which the University of Tokyo set up for overseas students in 1995, is based at the University of Tokyo's Komaba campus and AIKOM is short for "Abroad in Komaba".
    • Please see the Student Handbook for more information on study at the University of Tokyo.
    Language of Instruction
    • All courses in the AIKOM Program are offered in English and no prior knowledge of the Japanese language is required.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • The AIKOM program can accept part year students in either September or April.
    • The approved disciplines for this exchange are as follows:
    • English: TSM (with other approved subject)
    • History: TSM (with other approved subject)
    • Sociology: TSM or as part of PPES (with other approved subjects)
    • Political Science: Students considered on case-by-case basis (check with Departmental Coordinator)

      Please see the following link to access the Course Catalogue:

      This exchange is open to students from the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences but to-date it has only been approved for students from the above disciplines.

    Restrictions to Study
    • This exchange is limited to the AIKOM Program.
    • AIKOM Students receive accommodation at the University of Tokyo's Mitaka International Hall of Residence, located about 40 minutes from the Komaba Campus by train and bus. This dormitory has single rooms furnished with a bed, desk, kitchenette and shower. The students usually pay a little more than 12,000 yen per month for basic rent and utilities. For more information please see the following link:
    • All international students who have been granted permission to stay for more than three months are required to sign up in the National Health Insurance (NHI) plan at the municipal office where you registered as a resident.
    • To enrol in the NHI, you must go to the relevant desk in the municipal office, taking your residence card with you. You will receive your NHI certificate (hokensho) though the post.
    • The premium of NHI is approximately ¥40,000 for one year (12 months: April to next March, but the actual amount will vary depending on which local municipality you live in and some other criteria. Please contact the NHI desk in your municipal office for more detail.
    • Whenever you receive medical treatment for illness or injury, 70% of the cost will be automatically covered by NHI, so you need to pay only 30% at the hospital's counter. However, you need to present your NHI card, so be sure to take it with you when visiting a hospital or doctor's office.

    University of Kyoto

    University Name
    • University of Kyoto- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Spring Semester: 1 April to 30 September
    • Fall Semester: 1 October to 31 March
    Language of Instruction
    • With the exception of English-taught degree courses, classes are generally conducted in Japanese unless specified otherwise. Those who wish to enroll in an undergraduate program or a master's program must, therefore, have sufficient proficiency in Japanese upon entering the university. For daily living, it is highly recommended that all international students learn at least some basic Japanese during their stay in Japan. The International Center of Kyoto University provides supplemental Japanese language classes to international students and researchers free of charge. Students can choose suitable classes from various options to suit their needs.
    • Undergraduate level: In order to enrol in regular, Japanese-taught courses, a Japanese proficiency level equivalent to N1 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) is desirable.
    • Graduate level: For more information on graduate level language requirements please see the following link:
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Accommodation
    • International students who will be enrolled at Kyoto University within less than a year of their arrival in Japan are eligible to apply for a room in the Kyoto University International House. The application periods are January and July (three months prior to move-in). The tenancy period is either one year or six months (no-extendable in either case). To apply, please contact your faculty/graduate school office. For further information on Kyoto University International Houses, please refer to the following website:
    • Japanese law stipulates that all university students based in Japan must enroll in the country's National Health Insurance (NHI) program, which costs around 2,000 yen per month. Many KUINEP students from abroad keep their insurance plans from their home countries, while also being enrolled in NHI, in order to ensure adequate coverage.
    Financial Aid
    • The Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO), a government-sponsored non-profit organization promoting international student exchange, offers scholarships to a limited number of students. Exchange students may apply for the JASSO Scholarship for Short-Term Study in Japan, but it is not available to those expecting to 1) receive financial support of more than 80,000 yen per month from another source, or 2) reside in Japan without "Student" visa status, including Japanese nationals and permanent residents.
    • The JASSO Scholarship for Short-Term Study in Japan provides a monthly stipend of 80,000 yen.
    Estimated Costs of Living

    Waseda University

    University Name
    • Waseda University- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Spring Semester: April to August
    • Fall Semester: Late September to February
    • Please note that each semester at Waseda is further divided into two terms:
    1. Spring Semester: April –June/June – August
    2. Fall Semester: Late September – November/Late November – February
    • Please also note that there is also a two month holiday from early February to the end of March.
    • For a list of all public, national and academic holidays please refer to the Waseda Academic Calendar and Timetable
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Minimum required hours of classes per week in your affiliated school is 10 hours (7 courses) unless otherwise specified. Please refer to each school’s policy.
    • Student may earn 2 credits for lecture-style course (90mins x15) and 1 credit for Japanese language course (90mins x15) offered by Center for Japanese Language (CJL) unless otherwise specified.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For a list of subjects that can be studied at Waseda please refer to the following link: and scroll down to 'Undergraduate (English-Based Program)'.
      You will be able to see all your study options listed by Faculty.
    Restrictions to Study
    • This exchange is not open to Law students as the language of instruction for Law courses at Waseda is Japanese.
    • JASSO Scholarship: Waseda exchange students are eligible to apply for the JASSO (Japanese Government Overseas Scholarship Organisation) Student Exchange Support Programme Scholarship. Scholarships are valued at 80,000 yen per month.
    • MEXT Scholarship: Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) is accepting applications for government sponsored scholarships for foreign students studying Japanese language and culture in Japanese universities. Students planning to enter Waseda’s Japanese Language Program (JLP) are eligible applicants for this grant, but the recommendation of their home university is required. The scholarship has a duration of eleven months, valued at 117,000 yen per month (tentative) and includes travel expenses one round trip.
    • For more information on both scholarships, please see the following link:
    • There are dormitories exclusively for exchange students at Waseda University. Waseda University International Students House, Waseda Hoshien, and Waseda University Nishi Waseda International Students House are all within walking distance from Waseda, Toyama and Nishi Waseda campuses.
    • For more information please see the Waseda University Residence Life Center page
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • Average cost per month is 80,000 yen for housing and 80,000 yen for living expenses (food, transportation and daily necessities).
    • It is essential to take out travel insurance before coming to Japan.
    • In addition, it is compulsory to join Japan’s national health insurance. The amount of the premium you pay varies depending on city or insurance company; however the average price is 1,500 yen per month.
    • Furthermore, Waseda University advise taking out optional vehicle liability insurance in case of accidents. More information will be provided at the general orientation.
    Additional Information

    New Zealand

    University of Auckland

    University Name
    • University of Auckland- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Semester One: March – July
    • Semester Two: July – November
    • Academic dates
    Application Process Additional Information
    • For more information on the exchange programme with Auckland please see the comprehensive factsheet below.
    Language of Instruction
    • English is the language of instruction and one of the official languages of New Zealand. Māori and New Zealand Sign Language are the other official languages of New Zealand.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • The standard course load for full-time study is 50-60 points per semester or 100-120 points per year. Most courses are weighted 15 points and students generally take four courses per semester.
    • Most courses include 2 lectures or classes per week and one tutorial or lab. Including assignments and out-of-class study, each course should involve about 10 hours work per week.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Course descriptions and schedules are published in early November for the subsequent year (Semesters One and Two).
    • Brief course descriptions as well as information on course prerequisites and restrictions are available in the University of Auckland course catalogue
    • For more detailed course descriptions, please refer to relevant faculty websites.
    Subject-Specific Course Selection
    • Undergraduate students in Law from non-Commonwealth countries must enrol in “LAWGENRL 443 – Introduction to Common Law” (10 points), a course usually offered in the week prior to the official start of semester.
    • Nursing students take course NURS 302 (60 points) which generally commences before the official start of semester.
    Restrictions to Study
    • Courses offered in Medicine, Surgery, Pharmacy and Optometry.
    • Courses running for the whole academic year - e.g. PSYCH 308A and 308B (except students enrolled for the whole University of Auckland academic year – February to November).
    • 100 level courses in Fine Arts, Architecture and Planning (unless you are majoring in this subject at your home university).
    • BUSINESS 101 and BUSINESS 102.
    • Graduate School of Management courses running on a quarterly basis – e.g. BUSACT, BUSADMIN etc.
    • Courses ending with the letters F or H - e.g. HISTORY 91F or MAORIHTH 14H. These are foundation year courses and not appropriate for Exchange students.
    • Stage I Engineering courses (ENGGEN 115, ENGGEN 121, ENGGEN 131, ENGGEN 140, ENGGEN 150, ENGSCI 111, ELECTENG 101, CHEMMAT 121) except for those ending in G.
    Courses with Very Limited Enrolment Availability
    • Nursing* (note courses generally commence before the official start of semester)
    • Psychology and Biological Science.
    • Courses showing the letter “G” – e.g. PHYSICS 107G.
    • 700 level Finance and Accounting courses.

      We recommend that you have a second choice option for each course with limited enrolment availability. Students from these areas must apply early, in particular for Semester Two.

      *Nursing is only available to undergraduate students coming through special arrangements with the Auckland School of Nursing.

    Postgraduate courses
    • Students who hold the equivalent of a New Zealand undergraduate degree may be able to take postgraduate courses if course prerequisites are met and accepted by the faculty.
    • The exchange programme is restricted to coursework only and does not include thesis writing and supervision.
    • Students who wish to take a full-year course load at postgraduate level are advised to apply as an international student to the University of Auckland for a one-year postgraduate programme.
    Courses with Additional Application Requirements
    • Many courses in Fine Arts, Architecture and Music require submission of supplementary information such as a portfolio or DVD audition.
    • For language courses students must complete a Language Ability Declaration to ensure that they are placed at an appropriate level.
    • Places are guaranteed as long as you apply by the deadline.
    • All enrolled international students are required to have appropriate health and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. The University of Auckland’s preferred insurance policy for international students is Studentsafe-University. Please refer to Studentsafe University policy wording for full terms and conditions:
    • The Studentsafe insurance fee will be charged to students account automatically upon enrolment. The Studentsafe University insurance fee must be paid unless the University of Auckland approves the use of an alternative insurance provider.
    • Students who have an approved alternative insurance policy may apply for the insurance charge to be waived. Please see the University of Auckland website for a list of approved alternative policies. Insurance waiver applications must be received before the second Friday of the semester.
    • Studentsafe-University insurance cover starts 16 days prior to programme start date and ends on a student’s arrival back in their country of origin, following completion of their course of study; or on the expiry of their current student visa, whichever is earlier.

      Australian citizens and residents
    • Due to the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between New Zealand and Australia, it is not mandatory for students with Australian citizenship or residency to be covered by the Studentsafe-University insurance policy.
    • However, we strongly advise these students to have appropriate health and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand as medical treatment often incurs a charge.
      For more information on the reciprocal agreement with Australia please refer to eligibility-publicly-funded-health-services/reciprocal-healthagreements
    Estimated Fees for Health and Travel Insurance
    • 2017 Studentsafe-University premium per semester: Approx. NZ$300
    • 2017 Studentsafe-University premium full year: Approx. NZ$600
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • For a breakdown of estimated costs please see the University of Auckland factsheet below.


    Moscow State University

    University Name
    • Moscow State University- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • First Semester: September - December
    • Second Semester: January - June
    Application Process
    • Trinity College has a student exchange with Moscow State University. The exchange is available to all undergraduate full degree Trinity students and there are a limited number of places. The exchange is for a full academic year and it is generally taken Off-Books.
    • The only requirement currently in place is a good command of the Russian language.
    • Academic criteria for this exchange have been drawn up by the Russian Department and can be found here.
    • Information on the application for this exchange can be found here.
    • If you are interested in applying to Moscow State University the application form is available here.
    • Please enquire for more details by emailing
    Language of Instruction
    • Russian. There are few courses taught through English, so proficiency in Russian is required.
    • On-campus accommodation is guaranteed.
    Meal Plans
    • Students living on-campus have access to many subsidised cafeterias on campus. There is also a café and a shop on the campus grounds.
    • It is compulsory to take out insurance for your stay. Make sure to bring a printed copy of it with you to Moscow.


    National University of Singapore

    University Name
    • National University of Singapore- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • First Semester: August – December
    • Second Semester: January – May
    Part Year Study
    • NUS can accept full-year or part-year students and they encourage part-year study as there are more modules and on-campus accommodation available in semester 2 (spring semester) in NUS.
    • Some TCD departments do not allow part-year exchanges so this will only be an option for some students.
    Application Process Additional Information
    • NUS has 16 faculties and schools that are spread across three campus locations in Singapore – Kent Ridge, Bukit Timah and Outram.
    • Disability
      NUS does not have a Disability Support Office, however they have a University Health Center (UHC) which would assess a declared medical condition and provide the necessary assistance. However not all required assistance can be provided due to the lack of resources, relevant expertise and/or appropriate medication which a student may have had in their home country.
    • For more information on the exchange please see the NUS Factsheet.
    Language of Instruction
    • All classes in NUS are conducted in English except for foreign language classes.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • A programme leading to a 3 year Bachelor’s degree requires a minimum of 120 modular credits (MCs). As such, the usual load for NUS students is 16 to 20 MCs per semester, where 1 MC is equal to 2.5 hours of study and preparation per week. A 4-MC module requires 10 hours of work a week, including lectures, tutorials, laboratory sessions, assignments, and independent or group study.
    • Exchange students are required to read a minimum of 12 modular credits (MCs) per semester (approximately 3 modules) and no more than 20 MCs (approximately 5 modules), regardless of whether these modules are set to audit* or examinable.
    • Students are encouraged to take modules for sufficient number of credits (not in excess), as required by their home university. Please take note that a 4-MC module requires 10 hours of work a week.
    • More details at:

    • * All modules secured at the point of offer are set to examinable by default. Exchange students have to seek the permission from their Home University before they can set an examinable module to audit. Modules set to audit might not be allowed for credit transfer back at the Home University. Some modules cannot be set to audit. For modules set to audit, student can attend lectures and will not be allowed to sit for examinations. Participation in other practical components (e.g. tutorials, laboratory work, and fieldwork) will be at the discretion of the respective academic faculty/ department.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For a list of modules available to Exchange students, please see the Modules for Exchange Students section on the following website:
    • Only the following Faculties and Schools at NUS are open to exchange students – Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Law (only for Law major students), Faculty of Science, School of Design and Environment and School of Computing.
    • Approval of modules is given by the respective NUS Faculties/ Schools based on the following key factors:
    1. Fulfilment of modules’ pre-requisites;
    2. Availability of the modules;
    3. Class and Examination timetabling
    Restrictions to Study

    • Business and Economics
      This exchange is not open to Business or Economics students.
      Modules offered by NUS Business School and by the Department of Economics are extremely popular, over-subscribed and cannot be guaranteed. Students must be majoring in Business or Economics at their home university in order to be considered eligible for Business or Economics modules and even then students are not guaranteed a place in the modules. As such, NUS recommends that students who require Business or Economics modules are not nominated for this exchange.
    • Law
      This exchange is currently open to a maximum of one full year Law student per academic year.

    • This exchange is suited to students who can be flexible with the modules they take while at NUS. Before applying for this exchange please check with your departmental coordinator to find out if you will have some flexibility in choosing modules while you are abroad.

    • NUS does not guarantee that exchange students will get the modules that they need to fulfil their degree requirements. Therefore it is important that TCD students applying to NUS can be flexible with their module selection.

    • Due to shortage of on-campus accommodation at NUS, exchange students are NOT guaranteed on-campus accommodation. NUS receives more exchange students in Semester 1 (August to December); therefore it is more difficult to secure on-campus accommodation in Semester 1.
      Prospective students who are able to come on exchange in Semester 2 are strongly encouraged to do so.
    Insurance Estimated Costs of Living
    • Please see the NUS factsheet for a monthly breakdown of estimated living expenses.

    Singapore Management University

    University Name
    • Singapore Management University- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Fall Term/Term 1: late August to early December
    • Spring Term/Term 2: early January to late April.
    Application Process Additional Information Language of Instruction
    • The language of instruction at SMU is English (except language courses).
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Exchange students are strongly encouraged to enrol for a maximum course load of 4 SMU credits per semester. The minimum course load of 2 SMU credits per semester remains unchanged. The maximum (non-negotiable) workload per semester is 5 SMU credits. Each full-credit course at SMU carries a weightage of 1 credit. It consists of 3 contact hours per week over a period of 13 teaching weeks (i.e. 39 contact hours). A half-credit course has a total of 21 contact hours per term.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • A list of courses open to exchange students will be sent via email 6-8 weeks before the start of the semester. Exchange students should also note that certain elective courses have pre-requisites for enrolment.
    Restrictions to Study
    • This exchange is currently only open to Business and Economics students.
    • Economics students should note that it is not suitable for single honour Economics; the Economics Department only recommends it for joint honours Business and Economics students.
    • This exchange may be extended to students from other departments in the future.
    • Important: Places in courses are limited and students bid for them so it is essential to discuss this with your Departmental Coordinator to check that they are happy for you to proceed on this basis.
    • Postgraduate courses are not open to exchange students.
    Accommodation Insurance
    • It is compulsory for all incoming exchange student to purchase the student personal accident policy and medical insurance as recommended by SMU.
    • Cost for this insurance is included as part of the miscellaneous fees. Insurance details can be found via the following link:
    • Please consult your insurance agent in your home country for additional insurance coverage.
    Estimated Costs of Living

    Nanyang Technological University

    University Name
    • Nanyang Technological University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Semester 1 (Fall): August – December
    • Semester 2 (Spring): January – May
    • Please refer to the academic calendar for the exact dates. Please note that the trimester calendar is not applicable to incoming exchange students.
    • Students are encouraged to arrive at least three (3) days prior the start of the teaching week. There will be a mandatory half-day orientation for exchange students.
    Application Process Course Load
    • All UG students usually take 3 to 5 courses per semester based on 3 or 4 AU (academic units) per course (subject to home university’s and NTU’s approval). There is no minimum workload, however, the maximum workload allowed is 6 courses or 20 AUs per semester.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • During application, exchange students are required to select at least ten courses per semester(in order of preference) for approval. Course approval is subjected to vacancies and prerequisites.
    • This is to ensure that you have an adequate number of approved courses prior to arrival in NTU.
    • Please ensure that the courses you select are suitable for credit transfer back at your home university (no worries, we'll make sure of it!)
    • Selected courses are subject to approval by the offering Schools in NTU. However, approval does not mean a guaranteed enrolment in the courses, as courses are subjected to vacancies and class/exam timetable.
    • Once approved, you are strongly encouraged not to deviate from the list of approved courses. It is imperative that you select courses which are approved by your home university, and are deemed necessary for your academic progression.
    • Requests to reselect courses while you are in NTU will only be processed if there are valid reasons.

    • UG Course Selection
    • You may access the list of UG courses that was offered in the past Academic year by → clicking here.
    • Updated course information for Semester 1 and 2 shall only be available towards May and November respectively. Kindly refer to Academic Year 2018, Semester 1 (“Acad Yr 2018 1”) or Academic Year 2018, Semester 2 (“Acad Yr 2018 2”) as a reference for courses to be offered in the same semester.
    Restrictions to Study
    • Exchange students are not allowed to take restricted programmes and courses - there will be strictly no appeal for these courses.
    • Please see this verycomprehensive list of restrictions: This document is split in two: the first column details the popular courses with limited spaces, and the second column outlines which courses are not available.

    • The following programmes below are also not available to exchange students:
    • Nanyang MBA and Graduate Business Programmes
    • School of Computer Engineering Graduate Programmes
    • Masters of Science in Aerospace Engineering
    • Graduate Diploma in Translation and Interpretation (HT5xxx)
    • Masters of Science in Project Management (MA6xxx)
    • Entrepreneurship courses offered by the Nanyang Technopreneurship Center
    • All courses from our five autonomous institutions – the National Institute of Education (NIE)*, the S. Rajaratnam School of International Studies, Earth Observatory of Singapore, Singapore Centre on Environmental Life Sciences Engineering and Lee Kong Chian School of Medicine (opening in 2013).
      * Only NIE General Electives are available to exchange students
    • Inter-semestral session (Special Terms)
    Additional Notes
    • NTU is the Number 1 World’s Best Young University
    • The University’s main campus has been named one of the Top 15 Most Beautiful in the World (seriously, Google Image it) and it's also a smart campus!
    • NTU is ranked 11th globally
    • NTU has partnerships with the world’s leading technology companies such as Alibaba, Rolls-Royce, BMW, Volvo, Delta Electronics, and Singtel in many areas of societal importance and impact that include artificial intelligence, data science, robotics, smart transportation, computing, personalised medicine, healthcare and clean energy.
    • On-Campus Housing
    • All incoming Study exchange students are guaranteed on-campus housing.
    • Upon acceptance as an exchange student, you may apply online for on-campus housing through the GEM Trailblazer Exchange/Study Abroad Portal before the stipulated closing date.
    • Students who do not submit the housing application online before the stipulated closing date, will be deemed as opted out from on-campus housing.
    • Students are allocated randomly, and requests for specific types of rooms will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis. Students with medical condition(s) and/or have specific requests will have to submit a doctor’s letter certifying their condition, which shall subsequently be verified by NTU’s Medical Centre.
    • Students are required to declare medical conditions and requests when submitting their application for GEM Trailblazer.
    • Request for specific room-mates or preferred Halls is not allowed.
    • Full-year exchange students, who successfully secured on-campus housing for their first semester must re-apply for housing in their second semester.
    • Period of stay in the Hall is determined by the approved period of exchange as stipulated on the NTU Letter of Enrolment.
    • Please see the housing options website for more information.
    • The earliest that exchange students may move into their allocated room in the Hall of Residence is usually three days before the commencement of the Teaching Week.
    • The Office of Housing & Auxiliary Services (HAS) shall notify the exchange students on the exact check-in date and timings via the GEM Trailblazer Exchange/Study Abroad Portal.
    • Exchange students who intend to arrive earlier than the check-in date and/or arrive after office hours will have to source for temporary off-campus housing. A list of temporary off-campus housing can be found at this link.

    • Off-Campus Housing
    • Students seeking off-campus housing should begin their search well in advance of their arrival in Singapore. Students are recommended to search in Estates near NTU such as: Boon Lay, Jurong West and Jurong East.
    • For more information please refer to NTU's Off-Campus Housing page
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • For more information on estimated costs, please see the Living in Singapore section of NTU'S website.
    • It is compulsory for all exchange students to be covered under the NTU student insurance schemes, namely Group Personal Accident Insurance (GPAI), Group Hospitalisation & Surgical Insurance (GHSI) and Medical scheme, even if students have already bought similar insurance in their home country. The cost of these student insurance schemes is included in the compulsory NTU Miscellaneous fees.
    • Falling ill and being hospitalised in Singapore can be a financial drain on international students, who are not entitled to the medical subsidies that Singapore citizens enjoy. Besides the coverage it provides, the GHSI (subject to its terms and conditions) allows you to request a Letter of Guarantee from the underwriter and present it in lieu of the requisite deposit upon admission to government/ restructured hospitals in Singapore.
    • For more coverage details please refer to this link.

    South Korea

    Sungkyunkwan University

    Sungkyunkwan University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • 2020 Spring Semester: mid-February - early June, 2020 (tentative)
    • 2020 Fall Semester: August 31st - December 18th, 2020(tentative)
    • It is recommended for students to arrive at SKKU a couple of days earlier than the orientation date.
    Application Procedure Course Load
    • For Undergraduate Program, SKKU requires you to take 18 SKKU credits which is the equivalent of 6-7 courses.
    • One SKKU credit requires students to fulfill one study hour per week. Most SKKU courses require 48 hours of study in the classroom, not including extra work, while language courses and experimental courses generally weigh one or two credits.
    • SKKU offer Korean Language courses which are taughth at 3 levels - Basic, Regular (recommended by SKKU) and Intensive. For more informationm please see the SKKU fact sheet for Spring 2020
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
    • Not all courses are open to exchange students as they require special application eligibility or completion of prerequisite courses.
    • The following are fields of study that are exclusively offered to major students:

    • Undergraduate School:
    • School of Medicine
    • School of Pharmacy
    • Global Business Administration*
    • Global Economics*
      *Majors with an asterisk may be available for a few select major students among all of the accepted applicants who have shown excellent academic performance in their respective area.

    • Graduate School:
    • Special Graduate School
    • Specialty Graduate School (Except for ASIA MBA program)

    • Course sign-up restriction policy is also includes but is not limited to Law & College of Art (open but very few classes are held in English).
    Additional Notes
    • Please note that SKKU offers both summer and winter programmes. For information on both programmes for 2020 and any tuition waivers offered to Trinity, please get in touch with the Student Mobility Officer
    • The SKKU International Summer Semester (ISS) is an annual 4-week summer program. Details on this year’s program are available at the official website; the program singles out the most intriguing theme of the year with which every course is cohesively related. A number of renowned professors around the world share their knowledge and insight with highly motivated international students at SKKU’s Seoul campus.
      * Tuition discount policy: only exchange students are exempt from the ISS tuition fee
    • The Winter Program revolves around Korean Culture & Business (i.e. Entertainment Industry, K-Pop and includes Korean language classes). More information can be found here:
    • SKKU offer a buddy program called SG MAPLE, or SKKU Global Mentoring and Assisting PeoPLE. Every semester, they bring in a group of SKKU students who want to make international friends and support them. This buddy program allows international exchange and visiting students to experience Korean language, culture and local life as well as having the opportunity to make Korean friends.
    • Please note that SKKU may NOT be able to provide accommodation for all exchange/visiting students due to the lack of availability of university space.
    • Dormitory application information will be provided to accepted students.
    • Please see the final page of the SKKU fact sheet for Spring 2020 which outlines the dormitories available as well as the types of room available.
    • Housing costs between 1,300 USD- 1,700 USD for four months. Please note that this is subject to change.
    Estimated Cost of Living Insurance
    • You will require a certificate of insurance for your application, which covers the duration of your stay in South Korea.

    Yonsei University

    Yonsei University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Fall Semester: 2nd September - 21st December
    • Spring Semester: 4th March - 21st of June
    • More specific dates can be found in the Yonsei Program Calendar, 2019 (scroll down to the last page).
    Course Load
    • The course load for undergraduates is between 9 – 18 credits.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Yonsei offer more than 800 courses in English across disciplines
    • To see what's on offer, go to the Yonsei Portal Service (
    • Click on “Course Catalogue & Syllabus”*
    • Browse the course list by choosing specific subject area and semester or search for course title/course code
    • Available subject areas include:
    • Liberal Arts
    • Business
    • Life System
    • Human Ecology
    • International Studies
    • Theology
    • Commerce and Economics
    • Science & Engineering
    • Social Sciences
    • Sciences in Education
    • Korean Language

    • Intensive Korean Language Course (optional)
    • From Monday to Friday, 2 hours of class everyday
    • 6 credits/total of 160 hours of intensive Korean language course
    • Provided in 6 levels (placement test on the first day of class)

      *Course catalogue available in July for fall semester, January for spring semester
      *Courses with ② in the reference column are taught in English
      *Availability to Exchange/Visiting students are marked by “O/X” on exchange column
    Restrictions to Study
    • Medicine/Dentistry/Nursing
    • MBA
    • Music
    • Pharmacy
    • Law
    • Business courses (course code BIZ-****) are only open to Business majors
    • Business major students can take up to 4 BIZ courses
    • Courses open in Songdo International Campus are restricted to exchange students
    Additional Notes
    • Please note that Yonsei University also offers summer and winter programmes!

    • The summer programme offers a wide range of subject areas in: Arts & Humanities, Business & Economics, East Asian Studies, Korean Language, Korean Studies, Science & Technology and Social Sciences.
    • For more info on the summer programme, please see:

    • The winter programme offers a smaller selection in the following:
    • General Studies (East Asian International Relations, Eastern Civilization, Entrepreneurship and Management, Developmental Psychology, Financial Accounting, Introductory Psychology, Principles of Macroeconomics, Principles of Microeconomics, Strategic Management)
    • Korean Studies (Contemporary Korean Cinema and Society, Korean Development, Korean Economy, Modern Korean Literature, North Korean Politics and Foreign Policy)
    • Korean Language (Korean Language 1 / Korean Language 2 / Korean Language 3)
    • For more info on the winter programme, please see:

    • For further queries on either, or if interested in applying, please contact the Student Mobility Officer
    • On-Campus Housing: SK Global House & I House
    • SK Global House & International House can accommodate up to 880 students in double rooms with a mixture of Yonsei and international students. SK Global House accommodates up to 581 students and offers both single and double rooms while International House accommodates up to 232 students and offers double rooms. The international students' dormitories (Gukje Haksa) house students from all over the world in a multicultural atmosphere. The primary language used in both dormitories is English. It is conveniently located toward the East Gate, right in front of New Millennium Hall.
    • For more information, see the accommodation page:
    • For accommodation costs in both housing complexes, please see the Yonsei Study Abroad Guide

    • Off-Campus Housing: Boarding Houses (Hasukjip)
    • Generally, Hasukjips are shared houses with several rooms on each floor. Occupants rent a room in the house and share a living room, kitchen, and a bathroom with the other tenants. The cost of rent ranges between 350,000 KRW to 550,000 KRW per month depending on the size of the bedrooms, the quality of the facilities, and whether the room is shared or not. Breakfast and dinner are often included in the monthly rent.
    • Please see the off-campus section of the website: and make sure to have a look at the recommended check list of questions you should ask before signing a lease.
    Estimated Costs of Living Insurance
    • All incoming exchange students are obligated to obtain personal health insurance. Please enroll in a health insurance plan of your choice, as there is no designated insurance service provider, but it is recommended that you choose a study abroad plan which will cover medical expenses that may be incurred during your exchange in Korea.

    United States of America

    Barnard College

    University Name
    • Barnard College
    • To find more information about the Visiting International Students Programme (exchange) you can refer to this link:
    • Read the FAQs of the VISP programme to learn more about application, academics and life in Barnard- it's a great resource!
    • To read more about the neighbourhood where Barnard is located and about the lifestyle students have, refer to:
    Semester Dates
    • Students going to Barnard College may only go for the Spring semester ie. Hilary Term. Barnard will not admit exchange students for a full academic year. Some departments in Trinity will not allow students to do a semester-long exchange so please check this with your department.
    • Spring term: Mid-January to mid-May
    • There is a mandatory Orientation week that all VISP students must attend.
    Application Process Course Load
    • Your visa requires you to be enrolled as a full student in Barnard College which translates to a minimum of 12 points.
    • You are allowed to take more than 12 points but this is not recommended by Barnard College. If you plan on doing so, we advise you talk to your academic coordinator in Trinity and to the staff in Barnard.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • VISP students are free to enroll in classes on both the Barnard and Columbia campuses.
    • Students may choose courses from the liberal arts departments Barnard offers.
    • VISP students are eligible to take the following courses during the spring semester:
    1. Courses designated BC, C, V and W
    2. Courses numbered from 1000 through 4999
    Restrictions to Study

    • Business
    • While exchange students studying in Barnard may take classes in many disciplines at Columbia University, they may not take classes at Columbia's Business School (and Barnard College does not have a Business School).

    • Engineering
    • VISP students cannot enrol in Columbia Engineering courses and Barnard does not offer engineering courses.

    • General
    • VISP students are not eligible to take any course designated G, K, I, J U or any other letter, or any course number beginning with 6000 or higher.
    • Exchange students may not take classes at the graduate or professional schools.
    Additional Information
    • Barnard is an all-women's college.
    • There is a partnership between Barnard College and Columbia University which is situated beside it. Exchange students may take some classes at Columbia and may use Columbia facilities such as the library, gym, restaurants, clubs and may live in Columbia residence halls. Read more about the Barnard-Columbia historical relation here:
    • Barnard is the organizer of the famous Athena Film Festival
    • Barnard's 4-acre campus is based in Manhattan and is directly across from Columbia's campus and several other academic institutions are in the vicinity. You’ll basically be living in the heart of NYC… is that not enough?
    Accommodation Meal Plans
    • All VISP students are required to purchase a Meal Plan. To find more information on the options, please refer to the following link:
    • Please note that there are processes and timelines in place to change from one meal plan to another. You are automatically are registered into a general one and will have to liaise directly with Barnard if you wish to change this.
    Estimated Cost of Living
    • Please refer to the Tuition and Fees website to review the cost of different items (accommodation, meal plans, insurance, etc.)
    • Please note that not all fees apply to VISP students (e.g. tuition is waived). Use the above website as a reference to understand the cost of living.
    • All VISP students are required to purchase medical insurance in accordance with Barnard policy and visa regulations. This comprehensive insurance will be billed automatically to each student.
    • You will receive information on insurance as part of your Acceptance Packet.

    Boston College

    University Name
    • Boston College
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Autumn Semester: Late August to mid-December
    • Spring Semester: Mid-January to mid-May
    • Specific dates can be consulted in the Academic Calendar
    • All exchange students are legally required to go through an orientation, which covers important aspects of BC and the US university system.
    • Further details about dates will be given to students in due time. However, it is important that you plan your travel accordingly.
    Application Process Course Load
    • Full-time undergraduate exchange students must take 4 or 5 classes per semester, for a total of 12 to 15 BC credits per semester, depending on the requirements of your school or department. As always, please talk to your academic coordinator to make sure you fulfil Trinity requirements!
    • Failure to maintain full-time status will affect your legal status in the United States, so it is very important to be enrolled in the appropriate number of credits.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • The Office of International Programs (OIP) registers students for classes based on the preferences expressed on the exchange applications. While every effort is made to enroll students in the requested courses, there is no guarantee that students will secure their required/preferred courses.
    • Exchange students must be flexible with their course selections.
    • Check the Course Catalogue to see the courses available.
    • There is an add/drop period at the beginning of the semester, which allows students to make changes to their courses.
    Restrictions to Study
    • Economics and Finance
    • Due to high demand, the Economics and Finance Department will enroll students in only one class.

    • General
    • There is a limited range of classes in the following departments:
      → Communications
      → International Studies
      → Marketing
    • Students may not enroll in classes for which they have not completed the necessary prerequisites or in classes that are closed or restricted.
    • Exchange students should not expect to take all of their classes in one subject because Boston College will not be able to accommodate such requests. The need to take classes in a variety of subjects makes Boston College more suitable for students from a multidisciplinary course. However, in some cases it can be possible for Single Honour students to take part in this exchange but it requires creativity in terms of module selection. Eg. a Single Honour English student may find literature-related courses to complement their English degree in departments other than the English Department.

    Additional Information
    • Boston is constantly voted the top student city in the US- not surprising as Greater Boston has more than 100 colleges and universities, with 250,000 students enrolled in Boston and Cambridge alone.
    • Boston College offers a wide variety of extracurricular activities, with 44 intramural or club sports, over 250 social and intercultural clubs, as well as volunteer opportunities.
    • Boston College's main campus in Chestnut Hill, 6 miles west of downtown Boston, is 175-acre and includes over 120 buildings set on a hilltop overlooking the Chestnut Hill Reservoir.
    • Due to the limited space, on-campus housing is not guaranteed. Most exchange students reside in off-campus accommodations such as shared houses or apartments with other BC and international students.
    • An exchange student housing lottery is held for the available on-campus rooms in May for fall and full year students and in October for spring students.
    • Off-Campus Housing Services assists exchange students in finding suitable accommodation. Check out their amazing website for further information:
    Meal Plans Estimated Cost of Living
    • Check the Cost Section on page 2 of the Exchange factsheet for an idea of associated costs.
    • Note that the accommodation cost listed is for on-campus housing which is not guaranteed.
    • Upon admission to Boston College, exchange students are automatically enrolled in the BC student medical insurance plan. Massachusetts law requires international students to have medical insurance underwritten by a U.S.-based insurance carrier.
    • All exchange students are required to be insured through the BC medical plan. Enrolment in the Boston College Medical Plan is mandatory and may not be waived. Exchange students will be billed for the BC Medical Plan.
    • For more information please see the following link:
    • All incoming exchange students are required to have the following immunizations before arrival: three Hepatitis B; 2 MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella); a Tdap within the past ten years and a completed TB questionnaire found in the acceptance materials that from the Office of International Programs which are sent after admission. In addition, students who are living in on-campus housing must have had the meningitis vaccine.

    Georgetown University

    University Name
    • Georgetown University


    Semester Dates Orientation
    • All exchange students are legally required to attend Georgetown University Orientation which usually takes place before classes start so you will have to plan your travel accordingly.
    • When accepted to Georgetown University, students are automatically registered for orientation and will incur a 50 USD international orientation fee.
    Application Process Course Load
    • Students must take between 12-15 credits per semester, and may take courses in a variety of disciplines across the university. All courses must be taken for credit, and students are not eligible for research tutorials or independent studies.
    • Due to the intensive nature of classes, Georgetown University recommends students to take 12 credits unless your TCD department requires you to take 15.
    • Course numbers at Georgetown reflect the type of course and not what year they are normally taken; a first year student may take a 400 level class and a fourth year student may take a 100 level class. Classes numbered 001 - 99 are introductory classes; 100-299 are lecture classes that may require prerequisite knowledge; 300-499 are small to medium size departmental seminars that require prerequisite knowledge and prior coursework in the subject matter.
    • To fully understand the Georgetown class coding and scheduling model, check out this link:
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • To get an idea of available modules, peruse the Schedule of Classes
    • If you need help navigating the course catalogue, you can find instructions here:
    • Note that in early April (fall entry) or early November (Spring entry), the Georgetown Exchange Coordinator will pre-register exchange students for classes for the coming semester. Students may change their course selection at this time, as they are not bound to the courses they submitted in their initial application. Students may also change their schedules during the add/drop period at the beginning of each semester.
    Restrictions to Study
    • Business:
    • This exchange is not open to Business students. Economics is considered a very separate discipline from Business and Economics students may apply.
    • General
    • Exchange students cannot take courses offered by the School of Continuing Studies or the Department of Liberal Studies.
    Additional Information
    • Washington is constantly voted one of the top 10 cities to study in the US
    • Ranked #15 worldwide for Politic studies (QS, 2019)
    • Study in the home city of the White House, Pentagon, Library of Congress, Capitol Hill… this list could go on forever!
    • Georgetown University has a great calendar of events:
    • #102 World University Rankings (THE,2020)
    • Georgetown is unable to guarantee housing for all exchange students as spaces are limited. However, they will try to award on campus housing to as many students as possible, and the Office of Global Education will assist students with their housing search if on-campus housing is not available.
    • Full Year exchange students may apply to the Global Living and Learning Community. All full year exchange students will be contacted directly about application procedures. More information on housing can be found here:
    Meal Plans
    • Students living on campus in a traditional residence hall (Reynolds, McCarthy, Kennedy, etc.) who do not have access to a kitchen must purchase a meal plan. Students living in a suite or student apartment with a shared kitchen (Alumni Square, Village A, Townhouses, etc) do not need to purchase a meal plan as residents have easy access to a kitchen. Students living off campus are not required to purchase a meal plan but may do so if they wish.
    • To find out more about the meal plans, have a look here:
    Estimated Cost of Living
    • Budgeting your Washington experience will be important as D.C. is one of United States most expensive cities. Georgetown University has great resources that will help you plan your budget, you can find them here:
    • To help plan and budget for your expenses, the Georgetown Office of Financial Services developed a program called Common$ense which aims to help students become more financially conscious and provides great tips and resources… including where to get free food!
    • Georgetown mandates that international students accept the University's student health insurance plan.
    • All students must submit the Immunization & Tuberculosis Screening Certificate to the Student Health Centre.
    • Students living in residence halls must show proof of meningitis vaccination.
    • For details on the insurance plan and other health check requirements please see the following link:

    New York University

    University Name
    • New York University
    Website(s) Semester Dates Orientation
    • There is a mandatory Orientation that all exchange students must attend. Further information will be given upon acceptance; however, it is important you take this into consideration when planning your travel.
    Application Process
    • Please refer to the Admissions Requirements section on the second page of the Exchange Information Flyer to learn about the requirements and application process for NYU.
    Course Load
    • Exchange students are expected to be enrolled as full-time students which means a minimum of 12 credits or maximum of 18 credits of coursework during each semester at NYU.
    • Most courses in the College of Arts and Science are 4 credit courses and meet approximately 3-4 hours per week.
    • The standard credit rating of courses in other schools may vary. Across the university, courses may range from 1-8 credits.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • The following Colleges/Schools/Departments accept Exchange students:
      → College of Arts and Science
      → Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
      → Silver School of Social Work
      → Tisch School of the Arts (Department of Cinema Studies and Open Arts Curriculum ONLY)
      → Gallatin School of Individualized Study
    • NYU will make every effort to assist exchange students to register for the courses they request in their applications. However, students should understand that not all courses listed in the school bulletins will be offered each semester, and some courses will have limited enrollment.
    • A list of courses currently being offered can be found at the NYU Registrar’s website at
    • Courses that will be offered during the next semester are usually listed on the Registrar’s website by November (for the following Spring semester courses) or March (for the following Fall semester courses.) A list of College of Arts and Science departments and course offerings, including course descriptions, can be found at
    • After a student has been accepted into NYU’s Exchange program, they will be registered for courses by advisors in the school into which they have been accepted. In most cases, course registration is finalized after students have arrived at NYU.
    • Note that due to the large number of NYU students who study off-campus during the Spring term, NYU is better able to accommodate exchange student course requests in the Spring semesters.
    Restrictions to Study
    • Medicine & Dentistry
    • The School of Medicine and the School of Dentistry in NYU do not participate in the International Exchange Program.
    • Business
    • NYU’s School of Business does not accept college-wide exchange students.
    • Engineering
    • NYU’s School of Business does not accept college-wide exchange students.
    • Law
    • NYU’s School of Law does not accept college-wide exchange students.
    Additional Notes
    • NYU is constantly ranked in the top 50 Universities worldwide according to international rankings, specifically #29 (THE, 2020) and #39 (QS, 2020).
    • NYU is most famously associated with its undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in social science, dentistry, nursing and fine arts.
    • Based in New York City, NYU has campuses in Manhattan and Brooklyn, with the core of its buildings around the lovely Washington Square Park in the Greenwich Village. It however has presence in 25 countries including an Abu Dhabi Campus and a Shanghai campus making it a very international University.
    • New York is famous for too much to add here… if you want to go you probably already know why!
    • Exchange students have the option to apply for a room in an NYU managed residence hall and live with other NYU students but NYU Housing is not guaranteed. Residence halls offered to exchange students vary from apartment-style with shared kitchen areas to traditional hall style, although most will be placed in apartment-style housing.
    • For more information about on campus housing options, please visit NYU's housing website
    • Exchange students may select if they are interested in living on campus in their exchange program application; they also have another opportunity to indicate interest in housing after acceptance. An online housing application is available to students after they are accepted into the exchange program. Students who enroll at NYU in the spring semester will have their housing assignments e-mailed to their NYU email address in early January and students who enroll in the fall semester will have their assignments e-mailed to their NYU email address in mid-August
    • Note that due to the large number of NYU students who study off-campus during the Spring term, NYU is better able to accommodate exchange student housing requests in the Spring semesters, however, you will have the option to apply also during Autumn semester.
    Meal Plans
    • Depending on which hall a student is living in a meal plan might be mandatory as international exchange students can be housed in locations that do not require a meal plan or in housing that does require them to purchase one.
    • Students living in apartment style housing or off-campus can purchase a meal plan if they want to.
    • There are twelve different dining facilities where meal plans can be used, including one kosher café and five traditional buffet dining halls. There are eleven different meal plans available, visit www.nyudining.comNYU Dining for more information.
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • Please refer to the last section on page seven of the Exchange Information Flyer for an overview of the estimated costs associated to an exchange in NYU.
    • Note that students are responsible to pay to NYU charges associated with student health insurance, housing, meal plans, Office of Global Services fee, and unique course fees, this will be charged electronically and notified to the student through their NYU email account.
    • • A specific NYU health insurance policy is required. Exchange students are automatically enrolled in the NYU Comprehensive Plan. Students can choose to downgrade to the NYU Basic Plan by completing an online form.
    • A summary of benefits of the (2017-2018) Comprehensive and Basic Plans is available online, for more information visit
    • If a student already has medical insurance that offers equivalent or greater coverage than that required by NYU, the student may request to waive the Comprehensive fee online at
    • To avoid being obligated to pay for two health insurance plans, please do not purchase another health insurance plan before it is approved. Your waiver will not be processed until Student Health Insurance Services confirms that your insurance plan meets the University’s requirements. Students will be asked to submit a copy of their insurance identification card and insurance policy, translated into English, for evaluation before the waiver can be approved.
    • Before students purchase an insurance plan that may be unacceptable for waiving, they should follow the instructions for waiving the health insurance here:

    University of California

    University Name
    • University of California- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • An academic year at UCB and UCM comprises two terms (semesters - each 15 weeks of instruction):
      Fall semester (August - December)
      Spring semester (January - May)
    • All other UC campuses have three terms (quarters - each 10 weeks of instruction):
      Fall quarter (September - December)
      Winter quarter (January - March)
      Spring quarter (April - June).
    Application Process Additional Information
    • One application covers all University of California campuses.
    • If you wish to apply for the University of California you should list it as ONE of your preferences on your Non-EU College-wide Exchange application form and you should not list any particular campus.
    • The students who are ultimately nominated for the University of California exchange will be given the opportunity to apply for a specific campus when they are filling in the University of California’s application form at a later stage. They will be asked to list their top three preferences of campus and the University of California will decide which campus to place them at. Students must be willing to attend any UC campus where coursework in their area of interest is offered. UC would like you to be advised that they reserve the right to direct exchange applications to a campus other than your first choice and that coursework in certain impacted fields may be limited by considerations of capacity.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Full-time enrolment (12 - 13 units) as defined by the host UC or college/school is required of both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens each term. Most UC students enrol in 14 - 17 units per term. Some reciprocal exchange students, particularly those whose first language is not English, may consider limiting their first-term enrolment to the minimum number of units required by their UC college or department. Communicate with your home university advisor to ensure that you also comply with your home university’s enrolment requirements while on UC exchange.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • UC students typically take two or three courses in their major department each term because the workload can be intense. Reciprocal exchange students may also enrol in general education courses in other departments. Do not, however, expect to enrol in a full schedule of courses only in your host department. Consider taking some general courses of interest to you.

    • Undergraduate Courses
      Lower-division courses: Courses numbered 1–99 are introductory and are often taken by UC students in their first two years of study. They are often very popular and may not have class space available.
      Upper-division courses: Courses numbered 100–199 are usually taken by UC students in their last two years of study. You must have completed the prerequisites or their equivalent at your home university for the courses you select.

    • Graduate Courses:
      Courses numbered 200 and above are graduate-level classes. Undergraduate reciprocal exchange students may enrol in graduate courses only if they receive the UC instructor’s permission to enrol. Some departments do not allow undergraduates to enrol in graduate courses.

    • Part Year Study
      Though the academic year is divided into quarters or semesters, course scheduling and registration are geared to full-year students.

      Many courses, particularly in the sciences, are taught in sequential order, with “part A” offered in the fall and “part B” offered in the second term. Not all courses are offered each term or each academic year.

      Students attending only one term may be at a disadvantage in registration as they will be registering much later than regular UC students. Registration for courses opens during the previous term. One-term students will not have two or three opportunities to register during the year, and they risk not being able to schedule coursework needed during a single term of attendance. Advanced undergraduates who plan enrolment in a graduate course may find it easier to receive the instructor’s consent in their second or third term of attendance. In addition, students who plan to do an independent study will find it easier to arrange for subsequent terms if they are already at their host campus. Short-term students may also find that locating housing for just a few months is difficult.

    • For more information please refer to the Academics section in the Student Guide

    Restrictions to Study
    • Some majors have restricted enrolment or are not open to exchange students.
    • Before you apply, it is important to review the UC Undergraduate Majors table and the Undergraduate Impacted Majors table.
    • This information will help you determine if your major is offered at a particular UC campus.
    • Students applying to impacted majors, such as business, economics, engineering, psychology, biology, etc., should review the Undergraduate Impacted Majors table for campus-specific information and the information on prerequisites to see whether they meet prerequisites to study in that major at UC.
    • In general, however, having the academic preparation for the courses a student is interested in taking would apply for all majors. You can refer to the “Determine if you have the prerequisite courses for your major” section of the Undergraduate Application Instructions.
    • Students should refer to prerequisites for selected majors
    • Some majors at UC are taught only at the graduate level in what are called professional schools. Examples of these majors are education, medicine, veterinary medicine, law, management, information management, and journalism. Undergraduate Reciprocal Exchange students generally cannot enrol in professional schools.

    • BESS/Business/Economics and Engineering students may participate in this exchange but should be aware that we cannot nominate many students from these disciplines for the UC exchange. As there is extremely high demand for courses in these disciplines at the University of California, they require that participation from BESS, Business, Economics and Engineering students be limited to no more than 15% of any nominated cohort.

    • University-Owned Residence Halls & Apartments:
    • UC cannot guarantee university-owned housing to UCEAP reciprocal exchange students or regularly enrolled UC students. Only first-year students are guaranteed housing. All university-owned housing assignments are subject to available space and you may not be assigned to university-owned housing.
    • If necessary, you must be willing to arrive before the start of the term to look for housing in the community. Visa regulations allow you to arrive no more than 30 days before the start of the term.
    • Many campuses offer special housing for international students. Check your host university housing website to see if this type is available.
    • University-owned apartments at many UC campuses may be available on or off campus. They may have kitchens and offer meal plans through the campus.

    • Short-Term Students:
      University-owned housing contracts are usually for the entire academic year and campus housing may not be available to short-term students. When applying for housing, ask about your host campus housing policy for short-term students. There may be a cancelation fee for less than full-year participation. Read your housing contract carefully. Landlords may not want to rent to a student attending less than a full year. A sublease arrangement or a room in a house off campus may be your best option.

    • Community Housing Options:
    • Most students who live off campus in non-university-owned housing share rooms in apartments with other students. Kitchens in rental housing are typically equipped with appliances (stove, cook-top, refrigerator). Rentals near campus may or may not be furnished, but students can furnish their apartments inexpensively (see the Money Matters chapter of this guide). Move-in costs can be high, since you will be expected to pay the equivalent of the first month’s rent, the last month’s rent, and a security deposit before you move in. Utilities, such as gas, electricity, water, and trash may or may not be included in your monthly rent.
    • Finding your own apartment can be a real challenge. Many exchange students find it more convenient to rent a room in a student apartment. You may be asked to provide references, a Social Security number (SSN) and proof of your finances, and have a U.S. sponsor to co-sign your lease agreement.
    • Your campus’ Community Housing Office can provide information about rental resources and advice about your rights and obligations as a renter. They cannot, however, find housing for you or guarantee that you will find an apartment. (See the UCEAP Pre-Arrival Instructions for campus-specific links to community housing pages.)
    • Co-Operative Housing (“Co-Op”) is among the least expensive housing options. Residents are expected to help with house chores and meal preparation. Co-op housing may vary in quality and is as efficiently run and clean as its inhabitants. As co-operative living requires student participation in various house activities, it may not be appropriate for all students. Students may find smaller co-op houses quieter and cleaner, while larger co-ops provide opportunities for meeting more students.
    • Medical treatment in the U.S. can be very expensive. You are required to have health insurance and automatically will be enrolled in the host UC campus insurance plan. The cost of insurance is applied to your student billing account. Insurance coverage and costs vary by campus. Visit the UCEAP Reciprocal Exchanges Pre-Arrival Instructions for direct links to individual UC campus insurance information and for immunization requirements.
    • For more information on travel insurance, health insurance waivers and supplemental insurance please see the Health Services & Health Insurance section in the Student Guide
    Estimated Costs of Living Orientation
    • Before the start of your first term, your host UC campus holds an orientation session to provide you with information about enrolment, visa issues, safety and services available on campus. Attendance is required. Your host college or department (or the Graduate Division, in the case of graduate students) may also hold an orientation.
    • Visit the Pre-Arrival Instructions page for your host UC campus to find about dates and times of orientation sessions.

    University of Chicago

    University Name
    • University of Chicago- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Summer Quarter: June – September
    • Autumn Quarter: September – December
    • Winter Quarter: January – March
    • Spring Quarter: March – June
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • The University of Chicago advises that three courses per quarter is considered a full-time load, and is the registration limit but as always, students should check with their Trinity departmental coordinator to find out what their minimum required course load is.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    Restrictions to Study
    • Business and Engineering
      This exchange is not open to Business students or Engineering students. Business is not an undergraduate subject at the University of Chicago and Engineering is not offered at any level.

    • Economics A word of caution for students interested in studying economics: Economics at Chicago is essentially a branch of mathematics. Virtually all the courses are severely quantitative, and even the introductory sequence of courses requires that students have already completed a rigorous calculus sequence. Upper-level offerings in the economics major often require that students have finished part of the introductory economics sequence, along with a full year of calculus (economics majors are also required to take two additional mathematics courses beyond calculus), before they can take such courses. Students whose transcripts lack a full year of calculus (mathematics is not the equivalent of calculus at Chicago), will need to sit for a demanding calculus placement examination upon arrival in the autumn. Performance on that test will help determine what courses will be available to them. It is certainly possible that students will not be able to enrol in economics courses – except for introductory micro and macro offerings that dispense with the calculus prerequisite – during their stay in Chicago. Students, therefore, should come prepared to take classes in other disciplines besides economics.
    • Housing is not guaranteed so interested students are encouraged to apply early.
    • Housing in I-House (located on campus) is an option:
    Estimated Expenses Meal Plans Insurance
    • Non-Degree Visiting Students must meet the health insurance requirements of the University and can either purchase the University Student Health Insurance Plan (USHIP) or another plan that meets the same requirements. For information on those requirements, see the Comparable Coverage Checklist.
    • NDVS in J-1 status must also meet the federally required health insurance. Not carrying this level of health insurance constitutes a violation of J-1 status and could result in the termination of your J-1 status.
    • If you wish to opt out of (waive) the University's Student Health Insurance Plan, you must hold an insurance policy meeting the requirements in the Comparable Coverage Checklist linked above.

    University of Massachusetts Amherst

    University Name
    • University of Massachusetts Amherst- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Fall Semester: September – December
    • Spring Semester: January – May
    Application Process
    • Please see Application Information in the UG Factsheet
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Undergraduate exchange students MUST enrol in a minimum of 12 credits per semester.
    • The nationally recognized standard, the Federal Credit Hour Standard, defines a three-credit course as three fifty-minute classes per week over a fifteen-week semester (including final exam week).
    • This standard assumes that each credit hour generates two hours of assigned work for every hour of in-class contact. Thus, the guiding rule is 45 hours of work per semester for each unit of credit.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Students can browse course offerings by semester without a UMass NetID by visiting and clicking “Search Classes/Catalog” under the heading Catalogs & Schedules.

    • Course Number System
    • 100-199 – Lower Division Undergraduate – Freshman (first year) level
    • 200-299 – Lower Division Undergraduate – Sophomore (second year) level
    • 300-399 - Upper Division Undergraduate – Junior (third year) level
    • 400-499 - Upper Division Undergraduate – Senior (fourth year) level Instructor

    • Permission may be required:
    • 500 - 599 Combined graduate/undergraduate
      Exchange students should not expect to have access to these courses.

    • Undergraduate exchange students do NOT have access:
    • 600 - 699 Master's or first-year graduate
    • 700 - 899 Doctoral or advanced graduate
    Restrictions to Study
    • No courses are guaranteed.
    • Undergraduate students do not have access to graduate level courses (500 and above).

    • Business
      This exchange is not open to Business students. There are some restrictions in the upper level management/accounting/finance courses. In the School of Management some class capacities are small and classes are often over-subscribed.

    • General
    • Students should know that it can be difficult to get into some classes, especially in certain departments (such as Management, English, Journalism and Psychology). Exchange students cannot take courses in Nursing, Continuing & Professional Education or enrol in independent study courses.
    • Some departments/courses such as Economics, Engineering and Communications; have limited availability in certain upper level courses.
    • Art, Dance, Music, Nursing and Computer Science are closed to exchange students.
    • English Writing 112, courses that fulfil the “UMass Junior Year Writing Requirement,” and courses that fulfil the “Integrative Experience Requirement” are closed to exchange students.

      UMass is suited to exchange students who can be flexible in their course selections as students may not get the courses they want/need. UMass would like all prospective exchange students to be aware that acceptance into the exchange program does not guarantee entry into desired courses. In some cases the possibility of enrolment won't be known until late April or later. There are some courses that are not offered each semester, some which will be filled by UMass Majors and others for which they may not meet the eligibility requirements in order to enrol.

      Before applying for this exchange please check with your departmental coordinator to find out if you will have some flexibility in choosing modules while you are abroad.

    Accommodation Meal Plans
    • UMass Dining, rated #1 in the US in 2016 by the Princeton Review, is a premier program that is committed to providing healthy, flavourful, world cuisine using freshly prepared, sustainable ingredients. You can find UMass Dining at every corner of campus. With four dining commons, eighteen retail cafes, Kosher and Halal options, two food trucks, a delivery service, the bakeshop, UMass Catering, concessions, and the University Club, UMass Dining is ready to welcome you with open arms.
    • All students living in residential housing (except North Apartments) are required to have a meal plan. Information about the various types of meal plan options here:
    • The U.S. Federal and Massachusetts State governments require that all F-1 and J-1 visa holders have health coverage. In compliance with Massachusetts insurance requirements, students are not allowed to use insurance from a non-U.S. insurance company.
    • All full-time enrolled students will automatically be enrolled in the Student Health Benefit Plan (SHBP) in order to meet the State’s insurance requirements and are not eligible to waive any part of the SHBP unless they qualify for a waiver.
    • Massachusetts law requires that college students have certain immunizations before coming to school, and submit proof of completion. The following link provides information on immunization requirements here.
    • UMass Amherst's New Student Immunization Program (NSIP) reviews students’ immunization records, contacts those with incomplete information, and helps students get missing immunizations.
    • For more information please see the following link:
    Estimated Costs of Living Student Orientation
    • Please keep in mind that Student Orientation is mandatory, so make travel arrangements accordingly.

    University of Wisconsin – Madison

    University Name
    • University of Wisconsin – Madison- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • There will be a mandatory orientation a week before classes begin, and all incoming exchange students are required to attend the Exchange and Visiting Student Orientation.
    • Fall Semester: (beginning of) September – (late) December
    • Spring Semester: (mid) January – (mid) May
    Application Process Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Most courses are 3 or 4 credits, though UW-Madison offers courses of many different credit amounts. While you are at UW-Madison, you must maintain full-time student status.
    • A full-time undergraduate (bachelor's level) course load is 12-18 credits. Full-time graduate (postgraduate) students must enrol in 8-12 credits.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • With the exception of the below-mentioned restrictions, exchange students can enrol in any courses or programs at UW-Madison for which they are qualified (have completed the course pre-requisites) and there is space available in the course.
    • Students are advised to register for courses as soon after their registration date and time as possible; the longer students wait to register, the more courses they will find to be "closed" or "full".
    • Exchange students can browse course listings in the Class Search and Course Guide/
    • You will be sent an email from the Office of the Registrar once you are officially accepted on the exchange program, which will contain an invitation to enrol in courses and a date to enrol.
    • Your enrolment date will be several months before the start of the semester. You will be able to enrol in coursework any time after this date and time, up until the "add course deadline", which is a short time after the beginning of the semester.
    • If you plan to take courses with pre-requisites, you will need to receive authorization from the instructor or the department. The easiest way to do this is through email.

      The number assigned to a course gives an indication of the level of difficulty and indicates for whom the course is intended.

    • Courses numbered under 300 (100-299) are undergraduate-level courses.
    • Courses in the 300-699 range may be taken for credit by both undergraduate and graduate students.
    • Courses in the 300-499 range are generally considered intermediate level.
    • Courses in the 500-699 range are generally considered advanced level.
    • Graduate students taking courses numbered 300-699 are expected to do graduate-level work, though they are enrolled in an undergraduate level course.
    • Courses in the 700-999 range are open only to graduate students.
    • The college is particularly strong in Biological and Social Sciences.

    Restrictions to Study
    • Business Courses:
      Students will not receive priority enrolment for courses in the Wisconsin School of Business. They may have to wait until after the regular enrolment period is complete or even until they arrive in Madison to enrol in these courses. Many courses may be full by the time exchange students can enrol. Exchange students should not assume they can enrol in business when making decisions about whether to attend the UW-Madison exchange program.
    • There is no guarantee that students will be accommodated. If however, if the student’s application is completed on time it is likely that they will be accommodated. For more information, please see the fo0llowing link:
    Meal Plans
    • All University residence hall students have access to University residence hall dining rooms. The food service is paid for through a debit card-like system, so no meal plan is required. Many halls also have a common kitchen for cooking occasional meals on your own.
    • All international students, including exchange applicants, are required to purchase the UW-Madison Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). Information and costs of this insurance plan can be found online:
    • Students can enrol online or visit the SHIP office upon arrival in Madison.

    University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

    University Name
    • University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • There will be a mandatory orientation at the beginning of each term, at UNC it is usually the day before classes begin. Please keep this in mind and plan your travel accordingly.
    • Fall Semester: August – December
    • Spring Semester: January – May
    Application Process
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • 12 credit hour minimum for Undergraduates (4 courses)
    • 9 credit hour minimum for Graduate Students (3 courses)
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Course Numbering System
    • 50-099 First Year Seminars [not available to exchange students]
    • 100-199 Introductory level undergraduate courses [undergraduate students only]
    • 200-399 Undergraduate courses deemed to be above the introductory level [undergraduate students only]
    • 400-699 Courses open to undergraduates and graduate students [undergraduate and graduate students]
    • 700-999 Graduate courses [available only to graduate exchange students, see above]
    • With the exception of the important distinction between introductory and non-introductory courses, students generally should not assume that courses have been arranged in ascending order of difficulty or specialization (i.e., ENGL 420 is not necessarily more difficult than ENGL 340). The logic behind any departmental numbering scheme will be specific to that department.

    • Strengths at UNC: Natural Science, Social Science, Liberal Arts and Humanities

      Exchange students can only take courses in the departments located within the College of Arts and Sciences. A complete list of the departments can be found below:

    • Aerospace Studies (Air Force ROTC)
    • African and Afro-American Studies
    • American Studies
    • Anthropology
    • Applied Sciences and Engineering
    • Archaeology
    • Art
    • Asian Studies
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • City and Regional Planning
    • Classics
    • Communication Studies
    • Computer Science
    • Dramatic Art
    • Economics
    • English and Comparative Literature
    • Environment & Ecology
    • Exercise and Sport Science
    • European Studies, Contemporary
    • Geography
    • Geological Sciences
    • Germanic Languages and Literatures
    • History
    • International and Area Studies
    • Latin American Studies
    • Linguistics
    • Marine Sciences
    • Mathematics
    • Music
    • Peace, War, and Defence
    • Philosophy
    • Physics and Astronomy
    • Political Science
    • Psychology
    • Public Policy
    • Religious Studies
    • Romance Languages and Literatures
    • Russian and East European Studies
    • Slavic Languages and Literatures
    • Sociology
    • Statistics and Operations Research
    • Women's Studies
    Restrictions to Study
    • TCD students may only enrol in undergraduate courses (courses numbered 100-699) in the School of Arts and Sciences.
    • Exchange students are not permitted to take classes at UNC’s professional schools, which include the Business School, the School of Journalism, the School of Law, the School of Nursing, the School of Medicine, the School of Dentistry, the School of Social Work, and the School of Public Health, School of Pharmacy, School of Information and Library Science, School of Education and School of Pharmacy.
    • Science: This exchange is not suited to Science students because it is recommended that students do not take more than three Science modules per semester due to the intensity of the modules. As Science modules at UNC are predominantly worth three credits, this leaves students with a credit shortfall unless they can supplement their credit load with modules from disciplines outside of Science.
    • Part year study is not permitted
    Accommodation Meal Plans
    • Meal plans are available for students residing both on and off campus.
    • For more information on the meal plans available please see the following link:
    • As an incoming exchange student here at UNC-Chapel Hill, you are required to have health insurance during your semester(s) on exchange. This means that you are eligible for UNC-Chapel Hill Student Medical Insurance. As health insurance coverage is mandatory for all students attending UNC-Chapel Hill, you will automatically be enrolled in and billed for this student plan. It is billed directly to your student account, which you will be required to pay for prior to your departure.
    • it is recommended you opt for the UNC Student Health Insurance during your exchange period, but if you have insurance you wish to bring with you, you may opt-out of the mandatory insurance by providing information about your outside medical insurance coverage. However you should start the process of waiving out of the mandatory insurance until after your are accepted.
    • Students will be responsible for providing proof of immunizations upon their arrival to campus and no later than 30 days from the start of classes. Please see for information on required immunizations. Step-by-step instructions on how to complete the Medical History and Immunization Forms will be available to exchange students post-acceptance.

    University of Notre Dame

    University Name
    • University of Notre Dame- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • There will be a mandatory orientation at the beginning of each term. Orientation is usually held a few days before classes begin, so please keep that in mind and plan your travel accordingly.
    • Fall Semester: August – December
    • Spring Semester: January – May
    Application Process
    • Please see the factsheet above for admission and application requirements.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Academic load: Student are required to maintain a full course of study of at least 12 but not to exceed 18 credit hours.
    • Class hours/week equivalent to 1 credit hour: 50 minutes per week per credit
    • Numbers of weeks per semester: 16
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Course listings are available on the website of the Office of the Registrar.
    • Areas of study available to exchange students:
      College of Arts & Letters
      College of Science
      College of Engineering
      School of Architecture
    • Strengths at University of Notre Dame: Arts & Letters, Hard science, Engineering

    Restrictions to Study
    • Business:
      This exchange is not open to Business students as currently, Notre Dame is unable to accept students into the Mendoza College of Business.
    • Computer Science:
      This exchange is not open to Computer Science students as currently, Notre Dame cannot guarantee the availability of suitable courses. It is also likely to be unsuitable for Computer Engineering students but this has yet to be confirmed.
    • Aero/Mechanical Engineering may not be studied by exchange students at Notre Dame.
    • All undergraduate exchange students are required to live in one of the dorms on campus. For more information, please visit the website of the Office of Housing.
    Meal Plans Insurance
    • Students are required to enrol in the University’s health insurance plan.
    • Before registration, students must submit a “Completed History and Physical Form” to the Health Centre. Required Vaccinations by the State of Indiana for college students include those listed under ‘A’ and either ‘B’ OR ‘C’ below:

    • A: Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis: Within the last 10 years
      Meningococcal Vaccine-Quadrivalent: All incoming students under age 21 and living on campus; 1 dose after age 16
    • B: Rubeola (Hard Measles): Must have had two measles vaccines, one after the first birthday, and one at least 28 days after the first one.
      Mumps: Two vaccinations AND Rubella (German Measles): One vaccination
    • C: MMR: Must have two doses, the first after age one, and the second at least 28 days after the first.

      Highly Recommended Immunizations:

    • Hepatitis B
    • Varicella (Chicken Pox)

    Estimated Costs of Living
    • Please see the University Notre Dame Factsheet.

    University of Pennsylvania

    University Name
    • University of Pennsylvania- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • There will be a mandatory orientation at the beginning of each term. Orientation is usually held a few days before classes commence so please plan your travel accordingly.
    • Fall Semester: September – December
    • Spring Semester: January – May
    Additional Material
    • For more information please see the website
    Application Process Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Exchange students must enrol in a minimum of four credit units (four courses) per semester in order to maintain full-time status at Penn.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
    • TCD students may only enrol in undergraduate courses in the College of Arts and Sciences.
    • UPenn can only accept students whose majors at their home institution are equivalent to a major within the College of Arts and Sciences.
    • This exchange does not extend to UPenn’s other undergraduate Schools ie. the School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Wharton School (Business) or the School of Nursing.
    • Exchange students may not take any graduate classes (level 500 and above).
    Accommodation Insurance
    • The University of Pennsylvania require students to meet certain health requirements, including carrying adequate health insurance coverage and immunization against diseases. Insurance and immunization information can be completed by students using online forms.
    • Insurance Compliance
      All full time, dissertation and exchange students (in classes for one term or longer) are required to have comprehensive health insurance. The Penn Student insurance Plan (PSIP) is available for students who do not have insurance, whose plans do not provide coverage in the Philadelphia area, or whose plans do not meet our criteria for alternative insurance. Please view details here.
    • Immunization Compliance
      Information regarding requirements, access to online forms, compliance policies, vaccine prices, frequently asked questions or anything related to immunization can be found in this section. Please view details here.
    Estimated Costs of Living

    University of Southern California

    University Name
    • University of Southern California- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • There will be a mandatory orientation at the beginning of each term. Orientation is usually held a few days before classes commence so please plan your travel accordingly.
    • Fall Semester: August – December
    • Spring Semester: January – May
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • International students must be registered for a full course of study in classes that meet their degree requirements during fall and spring semesters:
    • Undergraduate students – 12 units
    • Master’s graduate students – 8 units
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Students may only take ISC courses in the Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences and the subject areas this covers are:

      American Studies and Ethnicity, Anthropology, Archaeology, Art History, Astronomy, Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Classics, Cognitive Science, Comparative Literature, Creative Writing, Earth Sciences, East Asian Area Studies, East Asian Languages and Cultures, Economics, English, Environmental Studies, French, Gender Studies, Geological Sciences, History, Human Biology, International Relations, Italian, Judaic Studies, Linguistics, Mathematics, Middle East Studies, Neuroscience, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Religion, Russian, Sociology, Spanish.

      Students must be prepared to take at least two courses in their major subject. TSM students and other students studying more than one discipline should check with their TCD Departmental Coordinators to ensure this is feasible in their own case.

      To see the schedule of classes please see the following link:

    Restrictions to Study
    • Subjects that are not open to exchange students include: Business, Cinematic Arts/Film, Engineering, Music, Fine Arts, Dramatic Arts, Architecture, Communications, Journalism.
    Accommodation Insurance
    • It is very important for international students to have health insurance during their studies in the US. The government does not provide health insurance and medical services can be extremely expensive without it. Please visit the international student section on the USC Engemann Student Health Centre website for information on the following:
    • USC Student Health Insurance
    • Immunizations & Screenings

    University of Florida

    University Name
    • University of Florida- Please note this university is currently being updated so check back later for up-to-date information!
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Semester 1: late August – mid-December
    • Semester 2: January – May
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Undergraduates are required to take a minimum of 12 credits per semester.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Available courses for each semester can be seen by going to
    • All College of Liberal Arts and Sciences courses are open to Trinity students, as long as the prerequisites for your course are met. A list of majors in the College can be found here:
    • Please make sure to familiarise yourself with any existing restrictions, outlined below.
    Restrictions to Study
    • The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) is the only college open to exchange students from Trinity.
    • Business is a different college at UF, therefore Trinity students will not be able to take these majors.
    • Economics students may be able to study at UF provided they can meet all their course requirements (for Economics and for their other discipline(s) they are studying) at UF as Economics courses are available through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and may be suitable for some Economics students.
    • Students must complete an additional form due with their application if they wish to live on-campus. The on campus dorm for exchange students is Weaver Hall.
    • There are limited spots for on campus housing. Applying for on-campus housing does not guarantee a spot.
    • Costs for Weaver Hall can be found here. Rates vary per semester.
    • All off campus arrangements are to be made by the student. UF offers assistance finding off campus housing through the Off Campus Life office. Please see the Off-Campus website for more information:
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • Students are allowed to enroll in one (1) online course per semester.
    • The U.S. government requires J-1 students to prove sufficient funds for the duration of their program.
    • On the Certificate of Financial Responsibility (required document in application), students much show they have a minimum USD $1,500 per month of the program:
    1. One semester: USD $6,000
    2. Two semesters: USD $13,500
    • All UF students are required to have health insurance.
    • Students have the option of enrolling in UF’s health insurance or submitting a waiver showing alternative health insurance meets the requirement outlined by the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
    • More information can be found on the UF Health Insurance page
    • For any health insurance-related questions please contact
    Additional Information

    School-Level Exchange

    Students studying subjects with very specific academic requirements degree have access to opportunities to study overseas through a range of programmes coordinated by their own Schools. Students in Health Sciences, Law , Business, and Engineering can often still take advantage of studying for a semester or for a year in other world-leading universities.

    There are options open to students where non-EU exchanges aren’t suitable. Trinity is a member, for example, of the Transatlantic Stem Subjects Exchange Programme (TASSEP), which allows scientists to study at leading universities in North America. Economics students, for example, can study at the Queensland Institute of Technology in Brisbane. Speak to your own academic coordinator to find out about the other options open to you, within your school.

    Student Voices

    The opportunity to study Business there was incredible. Seoul National University is officially ranked the best University in Korea, the 10th best University in Asia and the 35th best in the entire world. The facilities at the university were simply amazing (from the lecture rooms to the library, everything was state of the art).

    Coming from a busy city campus like Trinity, it was wonderful to experience life in a campus that was so different (literally halfway up a mountain and surrounded by nature). It was such a picturesque spot especially in Spring when the Cherry blossoms were blooming.
    Connor Doyle, BESS Student on Exchange at Seoul National University, South Korea

    CASA Exchange

    CASA (Consortium for Advanced Study Abroad) is a Study Abroad programme for Trinity students to study at one of the CASA centres on a fee paying basis.  Students can study at CASA Study Centres in Cuba, Chile and Argentina. As the first non-US partner in CASA, Trinity students have previously taken the opportunity to study at the CASA Havana Centre. Visit the website at to find out more about how CASA works.