Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Menu Search

You are here Study Abroad & Exchange > Outbound > FAQ


Where can I go?

You can go on exchange to a variety of different countries. Check out our partner pages to find out more about where you can go.

What is the difference between Non EU Exchange and Erasmus?

Non EU Exchange sends students to China, Singapore, Hong Kong, Korea, the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Japan or Latin America. The Erasmus programme sends students to countries within the European Union.

How long can I go away for?

You can study abroad for a semester or a year. Check with your academic co-ordinator to find out which works best for your course.

How do I apply to the Non-EU College Wide Exchange?

To apply for the college wide exchange, you need a 2.1 in your Junior Freshman exams. On the application form, you list your top eight colleges in order of preference. You need to have your form signed by your academic co-ordinator before you submit it to the non eu co-ordinator in the Academic Registry. If you are a TSM student, you will need both co-ordinators to sign your form.

Where can I get an application form?

You can download your application form here for non-EU exchanges. Once you’ve filled out the form, bring to the Academic Registry Service Desk. For all other exchanges, talk to your departmental co-ordinator about the application process.

Can I apply if I do not have a 2.1?

Students can go on European exchanges provided they have a minimum 2:2 in their examinations.

For non-EU exchanges, places are highly competitive and restrictions on allocation of places apply. Only students with a proven history of being in ‘good academic standing’ will be eligible for places. You may be considered for extenuating circumstances should you fail to achieve a 2:1 in your examinations in second year. Please contact the Student Mobility Officer for more information about non-EU exchanges, and the Academic Registry for more information about exchange within the EU.

When do I apply?

You make your application to the programme during Hilary Term of your Senior Freshman Year. Attend information sessions and keep an eye on our Facebook group and Twitter to find out the application closing date for this year.

What do I need to know if I am a TSM, BESS or PPES student?

In Trinity, students often take broader courses in their first two years. When you go on exchange, you will have to pick a field as a ‘major’ to specialise in. Choosing a major will involve taking more modules in one subject than the other(s). Credits gained abroad will transfer back to Trinity towards your final year so you can complete your degree as normal. However, some courses have restrictions on which courses you must take to count towards your final degree.

For TSM students, you must study both subjects equally while abroad. TSM students must achive a minimum of 22.5 ECTS in each subject for a full year and at least 10 credits in each subject for a half year, with an equal minimum amount of credits in each subject.

You will need to make this decision in advance of your application and research the universities you wish to apply to so that you can complete your degree with any required courses. Talk to your departmental co-ordinator and the non-EU co-ordinator for more information.

When and where can I attend information sessions?

Global Relations and Academic Registry hold information sessions and walk in clinics for your application in the Global Room and Academic Registry throughout October and November. Follow Registry and Global Relations on social media and keep an eye on your email for the weekly events listing to find out about dates to attend the info sessions.

What happens after I make my application?

After you make your application, you may be nominated to one of your 8 choices. If you choose to accept your nomination, you will then make a direct application to your exchange university.

Does my year abroad count towards my degree?

The period you spend abroad on a college-wide exchange will count as an integral part of your Trinity degree. If, for example, you are away in your Junior Sophister year, you will rise to Senior Sophister on your return, assuming you have passed your exams at the host university. Your grades abroad contribute directly to your final degree.

What happens if I fail an exam abroad?

Students are expected to maintain good academic standing while on exchange. In the event that your exam results are lower than expected, please speak to your academic co-ordinator immediately. A minimum of 45ECTS, or equivalent credits elsewhere, are required to progress.

Do I have to pay fees?

You pay your usual fees to Trinity College while the tuition fees at the host university are waived. You will have to register as a student in Trinity while you are on exchange. You pay your normal fees to the college while you are on exchange. All other expenses such as travel, accommodation, health insurance and general living costs are the student’s own responsibility.

What will my course load be like when I study abroad?

Your course load will depend on how many classes you need to take to satisfy Trinity’s credit requirements and the usual course load at your exchange university. This course load can vary from university to university and from country to country. All students must take a minimum of 45ECTS or equivalent for a full year exchange to progress on their return. Semester exchange students should take a minimum of 22.5 ECTS or equivalent to progress on their return.

How much does it cost to go on exchange?

Going on exchange is a unique experience but you will have to take associated costs like flights, accommodation, and cost of living overseas into account when you plan your overseas experience. You can learn more about cost of living at individual universities and in each country by checking individual university fact sheets.

Can I work while I am on exchange?

Depending on your visa type, you may be able to work when you are on exchange. Check the terms of your visa before you go.

Is there a grant for non-EU exchanges?

There are no additional grants provided for the majority of non-EU college-wide exchanges, with the main exception of the Provost’s Asian Travel Bursary (€1000) for students studying on College-wide exchanges in Asia.

I was nominated for an exchange. Is there a minimum mark I need in my Senior Freshman exams in order to keep my place on the exchange?

Departments/Schools will have a grade requirement you must achieve in your Senior Freshman exams before you are allowed to go on non-EU exchange. Please ensure that you are familiar with the grade requirement. Specific requirements are available from the Department/School coordinators.

Do I need to maintain a 2.1 throughout my Senior Freshman year?

In most disciplines you will have to maintain a 2.1 throughout your Senior Freshman year, attaining a 2.1 in your end of year exams. Some disciplines will not allow you to go on exchange if your marks drop below a 2.1. Make sure you speak with your departmental co ordinator to find out the requirements in your department.

How do I stay in contact with College while I’m away?

Students should check their College email regularly during their time abroad. Students need to provide an alternative email contact to the Academic Registry, e.g. their new email address from the exchange university.

When can I go abroad?

Students usually go abroad in their third year of four year degrees. Special arrangements apply for certain programmes such as Engineering. Speak to your coordinator for further advice!

Can staff go abroad?

Academic staff in Trinity College Dublin are welcome to participate in an Erasmus staff mobility. Much like the student mobility, staff can travel to a partner university to attend training programs, work shadow or to attend a Erasmus Staff Training week. Staff can avail of the Erasmus grant. Funds are reimbursed at the end of the stay once all receipts are produced and a claim is approved via iExpenses.

Grant Documentation:

  • A teaching plan
  • Signed grant agreement (must be submitted to the Academic Registry before departure.
  • Signed certificate of participation needs to be submitted upon return.
  • A travel and subsistence grant is then reimbursed. The breakdown of rates per country can be found at the following link:
  • A final participation report – you will receive an email prompt to fill this in online.


For additional information, please contact the Student Mobility Officer for more information about non-EU exchanges, and the Academic Registry for more information about exchange within the EU.