Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here Study Abroad & Exchange > Inbound > Student Experience

Student Experience

Getting to Trinity as an international student

Visas & Immigration

Students from many non-EU countries, including the US and Canada, do not require a visa prior to entering the Republic of Ireland. Regardless of whether visas are needed prior to arrival, all non-EU students must register with the Irish Immigration Service Delivery soon after arrival in Ireland. Visit our Visas and Immigration page for more information.

Life at Trinity as an international student


Trinity offers a comprehensive orientation programme every term to introduce Visiting and Erasmus students to life at Trinity. The orientation schedule includes everything from information about academic course registration to tours of campus, breakout sessions, film nights in the Global Room, sessions on life in Dublin, opportunities to meet your new classmates and much more. Up-to-date information can be found on our Orientation page.

Bank Accounts

Immigration regulations do not require single-semester non-EU students to open an Irish bank account, but do require academic year students to do so. Students can choose among the several national banks in Ireland. One of them, Bank of Ireland, has facilities on campus and is located beside the ATM machine in the Hamilton Building. Other popular Irish banks are AIB and Ulster Bank. To open any bank account, you are required by law to show valid proof of identity, complete with photograph and proof of address. On request, the Academic Registry can provide a letter confirming you are a Trinity student and listing your home and Dublin addresses. There are normally no fees charged on student bank accounts.

Healthcare and Health Insurance

Trinity’s Health Centre is located on campus in House 47 and offers physician consultations and emergency clinics. Most services are free, although some services can incur a small fee.

While all non-EU students have access to use the College Health Service during their study at Trinity, this does not replace health insurance, which students must have in order to cover any major medical care that may be needed during your stay. The Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service also require all non-EU students to show proof they possess health insurance to cover major medical care.

Please check with your home institution to see whether they require a specific plan for their students studying abroad. If they do not, check to see whether your current health insurance will cover you for the duration of your stay. If you do not have insurance cover, there are several plans available through health insurance providers in Ireland. For more information on health insurance requirements and a list of Irish providers, please visit our arrival page.  

Note for Erasmus and other EU students: Students from EU states should apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in their home country before departure.

Working in Ireland

Non-EU students registered on a degree course for at least one academic year can work up to a maximum of 20 hours per week during term and up to 40 hours per week during University holidays.


Trinity offers accommodation for study abroad students in modern, purpose-built student accommodation close to Trinity, offering ensuite rooms, common rooms, a gym, laundry facilities as well as regular student social events. More information about the accommodation application process will be sent by the Study Abroad Team after admittance to Trinity.

Off-Campus/Non-Trinity Accommodation:Students also have the option to pursue independent accommodation, but Trinity encourages its study abroad students to accept Trinity-approved accommodation to avoid needing to search for a short-term lease on arrival. More information can be found through the Trinity Students’ Union Accommodation Advisory Service.

Disability Services

It is recommended that students contact the Disability Service in Trinity in advance of your acceptance of a place at Trinity, so we can advise you on the types of support available. Incoming International, Erasmus, Visiting (Study Abroad) or Exchange students should apply for funded supports in their home country and/or home institution in advance of arrival. Trinity funding does not cover expenditure for personal care, medical treatment/ supplies or other supports required outside study/ course contact hours or the academic year. This includes those that can reasonably expected to be provided by another agency, such as the local health service where you are ordinarily resident. Travel costs to receive medical treatment are also the student’s responsibility. For more information, please visit our information page.