- Applications are invited from well-qualified graduates who hold a very good Honors Bachelor degree in law or in a law-based interdisciplinary programme.
- Applications may also be considered from exceptional graduates in disciplines relevant to the LL.M degree they are applying for who can convincingly demonstrate that their studies have fully prepared them for the LLM.
- Assuming that this basic pre-requisite is in place, thereafter admission to the various LL.M. programmes is at the absolute discretion of the School of Law, which will decide on questions of admission having regard to a wide range of academic criteria, including the quality of the individual application and the objectives of ensuring a diverse LLM class of the highest possible academic calibre.
- Admission requirements may vary from year to year.
- Applications are invited from well-qualified graduates who hold an undergraduate honours bachelor degree of II.1 grade or higher in Law, Business or Economics.
- This is the starting point for admissions and does not guarantee entry.
The application portal for the academic year 2023/24 is now open.
While the deadline for application is 31 May 2023, we strongly advise applicants to apply as early as possible. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Admission to our postgraduate taught programmes will be very competitive and may be subject t early closure as a result.
All applications for the postgraduate taught programmes must be submitted online.
Applications must be made through the online application system not through the School of Law.
Postgraduate taught applicants must complete the online application form and upload the following supporting documentation:
- Certified Academic transcript(s) for all completed and current academic and professional courses.
- Certified copy of degree certificate(s) for all completed academic and professional courses.
- Two Academic References.
- Curriculum Vitae.
- A recognised certificate of English Language Competency if English is not your first language (see above).
- Applicants are welcome to submit additional documentation for consideration if they so wish.
Further guidelines on the University's application procedures and the application fee are available here.
Please also consult our Postgraduate Admissions FAQ
Students whose first language is not English and who have not been educated through the medium of English must present one of the following qualifications in the English Language:
- IELTS: (Academic version) and IELTS Indicator: Grade 6.5 overall. No individual band score should be under 6.
- TOEFL and TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition: 88 internet-based, 570 paper-based, 230 computer-based.
- University of Cambridge: Proficiency Certificate, Grade C or better (CEFR Level C1 or C2) Advanced Certificate, Grade C or better (CEFR Level C1 or C2)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) - PTE Academic: a minimum score of 63 to be eligible (with no section score below 59)
- Duolingo English Test: Minimum overall score of 120/160 with no section below 105, dated since January 2021.
- An award certificate with a minimum II.1 overall score from Trinity's Centre for English Language Learning and Teaching's Pre-Master's Pathway Programme.
Please note that test scores are only valid for 2 years. Further information is available here
An applicant whose first language is not English but who has taken a degree through the medium of English may be eligible provided they did not complete their studies more than two years prior to admission. However some courses may request applicants to present an English Language qualification under certain circumstances.
Visa Requirements - Students from outside the European Union are advised to apply for a visa as soon as they have been offered, and have accepted a place, on the LL.M or MSc Law and Finance programme.
All programme related enquiries should be referred to:
Ms Kelley McCabe,
School of Law,
Tel. + 353 (0) 1 896 8449;
For the Trinity College Postgraduate Prospectus and other additional information (Tuition fees, Registration etc) please visit:
Graduate Studies: https://www.tcd.ie/Graduate_Studies/
Academic Registry: https://www.tcd.ie/academicregistry/
Study at Trinity: https://www.tcd.ie/study/