Semester and Year at Trinity
Trinity welcomes students to apply for an academic year or semester. (Fall term is known as Michaelmas term, and Spring as Hilary term.). Students can study across Trinity’s three faculties.
Understanding Ireland: Semester Start-Up Programme
For semester or year students, Trinity offers the Understanding Ireland: Semester-Start Up Programme. The programme combines excursions, small group teaching and engaging lectures to provide students with an introduction to Dublin, Ireland and Trinity’s academic life before the term begins. For Fall semester and Full Year students, the programme runs for three weeks and is worth 5 ECTS. For Spring term students, the course runs for one week and is not credit-bearing.
Students can select courses across a range of subject areas and are not restricted to courses in their major. While enrolled in Trinity, they will be welcomed as a full member of the academic community and encouraged to participate fully in the university’s vibrant student life.
For a complete list of courses available to Visiting Students, see the Module Directory
US students have the option to apply through one of the following organisations in order to study at Trinity. Consult with your study abroad advisor regarding your options. Trinity works with the following providers:
- Academic Programs International: www.apistudyabroad.com
- Arcadia University, The College of Global Studies: www.arcadia.edu/abroad/Trinity
- Foundation for International Education: www.fie.org.uk
- IES Abroad: www.iesabroad.org/IES/Programs/Ireland/Dublin/Direct_Enrollment/DE_Universities/trinityProfile.html
- Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University (IFSA-Butler): www.ifsa-butler.org/trinity-college-dublin.html
- International Studies Abroad: studiesabroad.com/programs/country/Ireland/city/Dublin
- Semester Abroad NI: www.semesterabraodni.com
Trinity works with many valued consortia for its visiting students, including:
- Consortium for Advanced Studies Abroad (CASA)
Peace and Conflict Programme
For semester or year students interested in Conflict and Peace Studies, Trinity offers a Spring semester study abroad programme titled Semester Abroad: Conflict, Religion, Peace-building in International Affairs. For more information, please click here
For students looking for a short term study option, Trinity offers a three week programme in January on Irish Literature in conjunction with AIFS. For more information, please click here
Brown University/Trinity Summer Programme
Trinity co-runs a nine week-long summer programme with Brown University titled Contemporary Global Politics. Brown undergraduates are encouraged to apply for this programme, which combines a course taught by Trinity College Dublin faculty and a 6-week unpaid EUSA internship in a variety of disciplines. For more information, please click here
Erasmus and Coimbra
For Erasmus or Coimbra students who are interested in applying to Trinity, please click here