Trinity is Ranked in the Top Tier of World Universities
Posted on 05 March 2014
Trinity College Dublin has once again been ranked as Ireland’s leading university, making the top 200 world universities in 23 of the 30 disciplines in the recently published QS World University Rankings by Subject.
It has been ranked 25th in the world in English, Language and Literature and has made the top 50 in Modern Languages (42nd), Politics and International studies (46th) and History (48th).Trinity has also been ranked in the QS top 100 universities in each of the eight subjects: Accounting & Finance; Biological Sciences; Economics & Econometrics; Geography; Law; Medicine; Pharmacy & Pharmacology; and Psychology.
The 2014 QS World University Rankings by Subject evaluated 3,002 universities globally and ranked 689 institutions in total.Universities are scored according to academic reputation, employer reputation and research impact (citations).
Commenting on the significance of the achievement, Trinity Provost, Dr Patrick Prendergast says: “Today’s ranking confirms Trinity’s position as a university delivering for Ireland at the highest international levels. These strong performance rates across the Arts and Humanities, Health Sciences and Science, are a testament to the continued excellent performance of Trinity staff and the quality of students that Trinity attracts. Notwithstanding these achievements, Trinity competes against strong global competition which has a direct impact on the rankings. A world class university system requires resourcing at internationally competitive levels and for Trinity to sustain its position and increase further worldwide, requires sustained investment in the university sector.”
Trinity College Dublin is Ireland’s leading university (QS World University Rankings, THE World University Rankings, Academic Ranking of World Universities (Shanghai)). Trinity College is ranked 61st in the World and 18th in Europe in the 2013/2014 QS World University Rankings across all indicators.
QS Subject Rankings 2014, World & European Positions and No. 1 in Ireland:
· English: 25th in the world, 7th in Europe
· Modern languages: 42nd in the world, 13th in Europe
· Politics & International Studies: 46th in the world, 11th in Europe
· History: 48th in the world, 18th in Europe
· Biological Sciences: in the top 100 universities in the world and the top 35 in Europe
· Medicine: in the top 100 universities in the world and in the top 46 in Europe
· Pharmacy and Pharmacology: in the top 100 universities in the world and in the top 40 in Europe
· Psychology: in the top 100 universities in the world and in the top 40 in Europe
· Geography: in the top 100 universities in the world and in the top 50 in Europe
· Accounting and Finance: in the top 100 universities in the world and in the top 35 in Europe
· Economics and Econometrics: in the top 100 universities in the world and in the top 40 in Europe
· Law: in the top 100 universities in the world and in the top 45 in Europe (joint No.1 in Ireland)