Hist250 Anniversary Celebration
The College Historical Society has been called the greatest of all the schools of all the orators. Fitting, then, that Edmund Burke was instrumental in its founding.
The Hist will celebrate the 250th anniversary of its foundation in the spring of 2020, with a week of events on the theme of ‘Oratory in the Service of Democracy’.
The week of events will demonstrate how the Hist contributes to the experiences of Trinity students, and to the political, intellectual and cultural life of our country. Though the programme will be commemorative it will mainly focus on some of the great challenges faced by democracy today in Ireland, Europe and worldwide.
The Hist250 events will include the following and booking details will be available soon:
- A keynote address by an international speaker;
- A student debate between representatives of societies in Ireland, the United Kingdom and North America;
- Debates and discussions on the challenges to democracy in Ireland and Europe with international guest speakers;
- The launch of a history of the Society by Dr Patrick Geoghegan;
- An exhibition in the Old Library of Hist manuscripts, treasures and portraits of figures associated with the Society;
- The Hist250 Dinner.
We would be delighted if you could help either by volunteering your time to assist in organising the commemorative celebrations (contacts below) or by making a donation to the Hist Speakers Fund to further develop the Hist's debating activities and to strengthen the Society for the future.
Hist 2019 - Programme of Events
For information on upcoming Hist events and activities please click here.
We are planning to hold Hist250 events in the UK and the United States in addition to the programme in Trinity. If you would like to play an active part, please contact us:
Director of Hist250
North American Contact
Share your Hist memories with us
In preparation for the 2020 events we invite you to share your favourite memories and photos of your time at the Hist. If you would like to donate other memorabilia please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.