Trinity College Dublin

Skip to main content.

Top Level TCD Links

Site map

Postgraduate Studies

Director of Teaching & Learning (Postgraduate): Dr. Christer Gobl

Trinity Students

Research Areas

The School of Linguistic, Speech and Communication Sciences support research in the following areas:

  • Linguistics
  • Applied Linguistics
  • Phonetics and Speech Science
  • Clinical Speech and Language Studies
  • Deaf Studies

Postgraduate orientation information (as in 2012) [DOC 40KB, PDF 49KB] from Graduate Students' Union

Ph.D. Research Studentships

Closing date 1 May 2015

The School of Linguistic, Speech & Communication Sciences in Trinity College Dublin offers a limited number of Research Studentships for Ph.D. students.

The School's Research Studentship includes the payment of annual tuition fees at EU student levels for a maximum of four years and an annual stipend of €8,000.

A separate studentship is available under the College's Postgraduate Research Studentship scheme.  This studentship will pay annual tuition fees at EU or non-EU level as appropriate for a maximum of three years and an annual stipend of €6,500. A limited amount of teaching may be expected of students in receipt of either studentship.

Research studentships in the School are normally awarded to incoming candidates who have been accepted to study for a Ph.D. in the School. The Ph.D. in Trinity College Dublin is a research degree, based on original research carried out under the guidance of a research supervisor. Decisions on admission are based on a combination of an applicant's research proposal (submitted as part of the application process), previous academic record, and professional experience where relevant. Information on the College's entrance requirements, fees and awards, and other regulations can be found on the Graduate_Studies website.

Further information about the School's research activities, academic staff, and resources can be found on our Research pages.

Prospective applicants are invited to contact the School's Director of Teaching and Learning (Postgraduate), Prof. Christer Gobl (, in the first instance.

Applications for admission are made online.

Any student who has been accepted for admission in the School can be considered for the Research Studentships; there is no separate application form. Applicants who wish to be considered for the 2015-16 academic year must submit an application no later than 1 May 2015. They should indicate on the application form that they wish to be considered for a Research Studentship.

Two Funded Internships/M.Phil. in Speech and Language Processing

Closing date 30 April 2015

Applications are invited for two funded part-time Internships/M.Phil. in Speech and Language Processing for 2015-2017 in Centre for Language and Communication Studies. The successful applicants will register for the part-time taught master’s programme M.Phil in Speech & Language Processing, while working part-time as part of the ABAIR research team on the following research projects in the area of Irish Speech and Language Technology.

Internship1: Research on improving the synthetic voices for Abair/Robóglór(
For further details contact Prof. Ailbhe Ní Chasaide (


Internship 2: Research on rule-based machine translation for the Irish/English using Apertium.
For further details contact Dr. Elaine Uí Dhonnchadha (

Applicants should have a background in computer science or engineering and a high level of competency in the Irish language. Knowledge of linguistics would be an an advantage.

Applications: Please send covering letter (indicating which internship you are interested in) and CV
to before 30 April 2015.

These positions are funded by Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht through the National Lottery as part of the Government’s 20-year strategy for Irish.
The funding includes course fees and a stipend of approximately €13K per annum.



Back to top

Last updated 27 March 2015 by