Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here Study Abroad & Exchange > Outbound > Where Can I Go?

Where Can I Go?

Trinity has collaborations with some of the world's leading universities. For Trinity students, this means access to a network of more than 300 exchange opportunities across the globe. How you apply can change depending on where you wish to go, there are a wide variety of opportunities to explore.

Students successful in earning an exchange placement register in Trinity as usual for the relevant period, and as a result do not pay additional tuition to these leading universities worldwide, whether in Holland or Hong Kong!
Trinity students go to leading universities in these countries every year, as well as across Europe and even further afield – maybe you'll have an opportunity to spend a semester or a year in Singapore, China, or Australia!

Non-EU Exchange
Non-EU exchanges, or ‘College-wide’ exchanges, are open to eligible students at Trinity. They are exchanges with universities outside Europe, so if you’re interested in studying in the USA, in Canada, in China, Hong Kong, Singapore or other such destinations these are the exchanges for you! It is important to check in with your School to know whether you are eligible for a "College Wide" exchange programme, and in what year you should expect to apply (usually second year but for some students' applications are made in third year). Trinity’s non-EU exchanges are academically competitive and allow students to demonstrate their initiative, flexibility, and willingness to adapt to new cultures – all of these skills are hugely transferrable to a work context after exchange, and are highly valued by employers!

We strongly encourage students thinking of going on non-EU exchange to investigate and research all of their options before choosing which exchanges to apply to. While non-EU exchanges can be integrated into many degree pathways, there are some restrictions for students studying Law or General Science. These exchanges are also not suitable for students in the Health Sciences. Students in these subjects: don’t despair! Talk to your Departmental Co-ordinator about the options in these fields, as you can still often spend time overseas through ‘Departmental Exchanges’ or other international placements.

School-Level Exhange Programmes
Students studying subjects with very specific academic requirements degree have access to opportunities to study overseas through a range of programmes coordinated by their own Schools. Students in Health Sciences, Law , Business, and Engineering can often still take advantage of studying for a semester or for a year in other world-leading universities.

There are options open to students where non-EU exchanges aren’t suitable. Trinity is a member, for example, of the Transatlantic Stem Subjects Exchange Programme (TASSEP), which allows scientists to study at leading universities in North America. Economics students, for example, can study at the Queensland Institute of Technology in Brisbane. Speak to your own academic coordinator to find out about the other options open to you, within your school.

List of Academic Coordinators Link
Please click on the link above to see a comprehensive list of all the academic coordinators by discipline.
*This list is correct as of 30th November 2018. Please note the list of academic coordinators is subject to change each year. If you are not sure who to contact please email

CASA (Consortium for Advanced Study Abroad) is a Study Abroad programme for Trinity students to study at one of the CASA centres on a fee paying basis.  Students can study at CASA Study Centres in Cuba, Chile and Argentina. As the first non-US partner in CASA, Trinity students have previously taken the opportunity to study at the CASA Havana Centre. Visit the website at to find out more about how CASA works.

EU Exchanges (Outside of Erasmus Programme)
Erasmus is the most common form of exchange in Europe. COIMBRA exchanges are however also open to current Trinity students – these are exchanges offered through the Coimbra Group, which is an association of long-established European universities of very high international standing.

Also in addition to ERASMUS, students of the School of Engineering can take advantage of Trinity’s memberships in the UNITECH and CLUSTER networks. Trinity's participation in the European Liberal Arts Network (ELAN) also allows Arts & Humanities students access to even more exchanges across Europe.

What is Erasmus?

The Erasmus Programme is a European Commission programme which enables and encourages students across Europe to study at another university as part of their university degree programme.

If you have thought about living abroad and studying at another university, learning about a different culture, improving your languages skills, and making new friends, the Erasmus Programme is for you.

Student can participate for a semester or a full academic year. Alternatively, some students decide to pursue an Erasmus traineeship, which allows you to work abroad during the Summer.

Trinity has participated in the Erasmus Programme since its inception in 1987 and continues of play an active and positive role in the programme.

Please see here for Trinity's Erasmus Policy Statement.

Why go on Erasmus?

Erasmus is a rich and rewarding experience that not only enhances your academic portfolio but your personal development also.

  • Students who move away from home for the first time have the opportunity to showcase their independence living alone and adjusting to the surrounding culture.
  • An exchange offers the opportunity to improve your language skills. Although you might not be studying a language at third level, you can improve your fluency by practicing outside the classroom! Most universities offer an intensive language course prior to the start of term for a small fee.
  • Employers look favourably on graduates who have a second language in the work place.
  • Trinity is partnered with some of the top universities in Europe, offering students the chance to visit world renowned institutions in their field of study.
  • Networking – studying in another university means you can connect with lecturers should you wish to work abroad after you graduate, or pursue further study. Having a referee in the university will give you an edge over other candidates. Remember to update your LinkedIn after you come home!
  • Being able to adapt to a changing environment and different learning style is an excellent quality to have on your CV, especially if you are looking for work overseas after you graduate.
  • In addition, many students apply for Erasmus to travel Europe outside of term time. Living in mainland Europe means that you can travel by more affordable means such as bus and train to surrounding countries.

For more information on EU exchanges, contact

Erasmus Partner Universities

Trinity College Dublin has been involved in the Erasmus program since its inception in 1987 and continues to play an active and positive role in the program.

If you are interested in developing an Erasmus partnership with Trinity College, or renewing an existing agreement, please contact

Trinity College is currently partnered with the following institutions across Europe:




Vienna University
Montanuniversität Leoben
Alpen-Adria-Universität Klagenfurt


Antwerp University

Solvay Brussels School of Economics & Management – Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB)

Université Catholique Louvain
Leuven University


University of Cyprus

Czech Republic

Charles University
Palacký University


Copenhagen University
University College of Northern Denmark


Helsinki University


University of Nantes
University of Western Brittany
Paris 1
Paris 2
Paris 3 Sorbonne
Paris 4 Sorbonne Nouvelle
Paris 7 -Diderot
University Montpellier
Claude University 1
Universite Rennes 2
HEC Paris
Sciences Po
Université D’Orleans
Université Lumiere Lyon 2
Université Francois Rabelais Tours
ESSEC Business School
Université D’Aix-Marseille
Strasbourg University
Université de Lille

UNIVERSITÉ Grenoble Alpes

 Grenoble Ecole de Management

Neoma Business School
Université De Mons


Freie Universität Berlin
Heidelburg University
Magdeburg-Stendal University of Applied Sciences
University of Marburg
University of Stuttgart
Goethe Universität Frankfurt

 Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen

Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz

Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf

University Trier
Maastricht University
Humboldt University Berlin
Universität Mannheim
Universität Regensburg
Bielefeld University
Karlsruher Institut für Technologie
University of Cologne

WHU - Otto Beisheim School of Management


National and Kapodistrian University of Athens




Bologna University
Pavia University
Siena University
Padova University
University of Pisa
University of Modena and Reggio Emilia
Rome La Sapienza
Trieste University
University of Udine

Universita’ delgi Studi di Firenze

Universita Degli Studi di Ferrara
Polytecnico di Torino


University of Malta


Bergen University College


Cracow University
Jagiellonian University
Nicolaus Copernicus


Instituto Superior Técnico (IST), Portugal


Universidad Zaragoza
Universidad Complutense de Madrid
Alcala University
Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona
Universitat Autonoma de Madrid
University of Granada
Universitdad De Seville
University of Salamanca
Ramon Lull University
Universidad de Oviedo

Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya (UPC-Barcelona Tech)


Uppsala University
Stockholm University
Karolinska Institutet
KTY -Royal Institute of Technology


University of Zurich

 Université de Genève,

The Netherlands

Utrecht University
Utrecht University of Applied Sciences
Fontys University
Erasmus University – Rotterdam
Twente University
University of Groningen


Koç University


Goldsmiths London
University of South Wales
Cardiff University
University of East Anglia
University of St. Andrews
University of Glasgow
Durham University
Turku University of Applied Sciences
Royal Holloway London
Swansea University
Newcastle University
University of Leeds
University of Edinburgh
University of bath
Durham University
Aberystwyth University

College Wide Student Exchange Partner Universities


University of Melbourne

University Name
  • University of Melbourne
Website(s) Additional Material Semester Dates
  • Semester 1, 2019 (February-June)
  • Semester 1 teaching period: Monday 4 March - Sunday 2 June
  • Non-teaching period: Friday 19 April - Sunday 28 April
  • Semester 1 Exam Period: Monday 3 June - Friday 28 June**

  • Semester 2, 2019 (July-December)*
  • Semester 2 teaching period: Monday 29 July - Sunday 27 October
  • Non-teaching period: Monday 30 September - Sunday 6 October
  • Semester 2 Exam Period: Monday 28 October - Friday 22 November

  • Semester 1, 2020** (February-June)
  • Semester 1 teaching period: Monday 2 March - Sunday 31 May
  • Non-teaching period: Good Friday 10 April - Sunday 19 April

  • Semester 2, 2020 (July-December)
  • Semester 2 teaching period: Monday 27 July to Sunday 25 October
  • Non-teaching period: Monday 28 September to Sunday 4 October

  • For more details on the exam period, orientation and welcome days, please see the full calendar for 2019-2020 on page 18 in the Melbourne Study Abroad and Exchange 2019 Brochure Whereas the dates will differ for the 2020/21 intake, these dates will give you a general sense of the academic calendar at UMelb.
  • *Please note that ALL Study Abroad and Exchange students should plan to be in Melbourne until they complete all required assessment items. In the unlikely event that you are offered a special exam due to extenuating circumstances such as medical illness, you may be offered to re-sit the exam during the University's supplementary exam period. The supplementary exam period dates can be found here. If you have been offered a supplementary exam, University policy requires students to be available to attend the examination in Melbourne.
  • Note, the University of Melbourne does not make exceptions for students to sit exams at home invigiliated.
  • **The dates for 2020 are provisional.
  • You must be in Melbourne ready to attend Briefing Day . If you can't make it to Briefing Day, you must seek prior approval to arrive late. You must contact the University of Melbourne office via to advise of your difficulties and request permission to arrive late.
  • Please note: Late arrival is not always approved, and if you cannot arrive before semester starts, you may be asked to defer your study to the following semester.
  • If your late arrival is approved, you will need to make arrangements to meet with an Education Abroad Advisor when you arrive.
  • Please see here for orientation and briefing day dates.
Academic Requirements
  • As well as being approved by your home institution for an Exchange or Study Abroad program, you'll also need to meet academic eligibility, English language and faculty-specific requirements to gain entry to our undergraduate and graduate subjects.
  • Please note that for elite athletes on exchange, you'll also need to meet all entry requirements mentioned to be eligible to apply for the elite athletes program Interchange.
  • You need to have completed two semesters of full-time tertiary study outside Australia at the time of entry to the University of Melbourne.
  • The University of Melbourne requires a 'C' average in the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS) or higher from European countries.
  • For more information on all of these requirements, please make sure to have a look at the following link:
Course Load
  • You are required to take three to four subjects (per semester) while at Melbourne to equal a total credit load of 37.5 to 50 points (each subject is usually worth 12.5 credit points).
  • While you may have fewer contact hours than in your home institution, the demands placed on you to learn independently outside the classroom makes the workload equivalent to that which most students experience at home.
  • For each subject, you usually attend a combination of large lectures and small group tutorials or laboratory classes. Contact hours vary depending on the subjects you choose, but are usually between 12–18 hours per week.
  • As long as you meet the prerequisite requirements, you can combine these from any area. For example, you could take two subjects in science, one in business and one in arts. Of all the subjects listed in the University Handbook, there are only a few specialist areas that are not open to exchange and study abroad students. These include medicine, dentistry, health sciences, veterinary science and film and television. Some biomedicine and law subjects are also restricted.
  • While you may have fewer contact hours than in your home institution, the demands placed on you to learn independently outside the classroom makes the workload equivalent to that which most students experience at home.
  • To see how this course load is converted at Trinity, please familiarise yourself with the Grade Conversion Table.
Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
  • There are a few specialist areas that are not open to exchange and study abroad students. These include medicine, dentistry, health sciences, veterinary science and film and television. Some biomedicine and law subjects are also restricted.
  • There are restrictions in Drama, Film and Biomedicine. Students from these disciplines should only apply for this exchange if they have discussed these restrictions with their Departmental Coordinators and have their express permission. This must be made clear on your application.
  • There are specific application requirements for certain disciplines including Education, Engineering, Psychology, Science and Music.
  • Some subjects have prerequisites. You can find these on every course page and in the University of Melbourne Handbook
  • The University of Melbourne offers exchange and study abroad students a range of accommodation options to suit different personalities, budgets and lifestyles. A detailed guide is available on the UMelb website and they have a full-time staff member assisting incoming exchange and study abroad students:
  • The University also has a fantastic online noticeboard which allows University of Melbourne students (or soon to be students) to search for shared housing.
  • To read more about accommodation at UMelb, you can also refer to page 7 of the Melbourne Study Abroad and Exchange 2019 Brochure
Estimated Costs of Living
  • You can also find more information on the cost breakdown on page 15 of the Melbourne Study Abroad and Exchange Brochure
  • You should consider the following expenses when planning to study overseas:
  • Tuition fees
  • Living costs
  • Visa application fee
  • Overseas Student Health Cover
  • (OSHC) – a requirement of the Australian Government
  • Personal spending, including travel to and around Australia
Additional Information
  • #1 in Australia
  • #32 in the world
  • Safe, friendly and multicultural
  • World's most liveable city 2011-2017
  • More cafes and restaurants per number of people than any other city in the world World-class shopping
  • Mild and temperate climate (summer average: 27 degrees celsius, winter average: 13 degrees celsius - so essentially like the Irish summer!)
  • State capital of Victoria
  • Museums, galleries and theatres at your doorstep
  • Sporting capital of the world
  • You need to arrange your Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) in order to receive your student visa, as this is a condition of the Department of Home Affairs.
  • It could be the University of Melbourne preferred provider (Bupa) or your own choice of provider.
  • If you arrange your own OSHC through a different provider you must include evidence of your insurance when you accept your offer. It is important that your OSHC matches your visa length; where it is shorter, the Department of Home Affairs may reduce your visa duration to match your period of OSHC cover.
  • It is your responsibility to check and comply with all student visa requirements.
  • For more information about the OSHC please see the following link:

Australian National University

University Name
  • Australian National University
Website(s) Semester Dates
  • Semester Dates 2019
  • Semester 1: Monday 25 February - Friday 31 May
  • Semester 2: Monday 22 July – Friday 25 October
  • Semester 2 examination period: Thursday 31 October - Saturday 16 November

  • Semester Dates 2020
  • Semester 1: Monday 24 February - Friday 29 May
  • Semester 2: Monday 27 July - Friday 30 October
  • Suggested arrival dates: early February (for semester 1) and early July (for semester 2)
Course Load (including ECT conversion) Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
  • Visual arts and digital arts courses taught in the School of Arts require submission of a portfolio for entry
  • Music courses taught in the School of Music require performance tape for entry
  • Law courses are only available to students in a Law program at their home university (excepting that LAWS3103 and LAWS3104 which are available to non-law students)
  • Internship courses ( ANIP) require an additional special application to the Australian National Internships Program in addition to the online exchange application
  • Engineering courses are only available to students in Engineering and some Physics programs
  • Business and economics courses. Students not enrolled in an economics, finance or business degree at their home university may only include one course from the College of Business and Economics in their program
  • 4000 level honours courses are not available to visiting students (except some ENVS, ENGN, LAWS courses)
  • Graduate courses (6000-8000) are not available to undergraduate students
Additional Notes
  • #1 in Australia
  • #1 most liveable city in the world according to OECD Index 2017
  • #3 best city in the world, according to Lonely Planet 2018
  • #22 best student city in the world, according to 2018 QS Ranking
  • Within close proximity to Parliament House
  • Shortest commute time in Australia
  • 2 hours drive from the snow and the coast!
  • 25% of Canberra population are students
  • 15 ANU subjects are ranked top 25 in the world, QS World Rankings 18/19
Estimated Cost of Living Accommodation
  • Accommodation is guaranteed for incoming exchange students.”
  • ANU has a number of accommodation options available from catered to self-catered and individual dorms to multi-share apartments. The type of accommodation that you want will impact on the cost you are looking at. Click here to browse ANU Accommodation options.
  • Please note, applying for accommodation at ANU is a separate process from applying for exchange or study abroad program. Apply through ANU accommodation portal here.
  • ANU advises that Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) is a compulsory requirement for obtaining an Australian student visa. In 2019, the cost for one semester (6 months coverage) is $330 and the cost for two semesters (15 months coverage) is $771. For further information, see here for more information on the OSHC.
Student Voices
  • "As an exchange student, choosing ANU has been the best decision of my university career so far. Through the ANIP program, I have been given the unique chance to intern in the Australian Parliament as part of my degree. What I have learnt so far has been invaluable and will no doubt shape the rest of my life.”

    - Sophie Delamothe

The University of New South Wales

University Name
  • The University of New South Wales
Website(s) Semester Dates
  • UNSW has recently introduced an innovative calendar, called 3+ that allows you to select the best study plan for you. It features three terms per year plus intensive programs in January and August. Your study plan determines the terms and therefore the length of your stay at UNSW.
  • You have the flexibility to build your Study Abroad or Exchange program based on the number of credits you need to transfer back to your home institution. The full time academic load at UNSW is 48 UNSW credits (60 ECTS) per year, which is usually taken over 8 courses.
  • For semester-based programs, you have the choice of 18 UNSW credits (3 courses, 22.5 ECTS) over a standard Term, or 24 UNSW credits (4 course, 30 ECTS) over a Tailored Term. Depending on your home institutions agreement, you may also be able to take a unique 5 or 6 course option (37.5 or 45 ECTS).
  • To start planning your Exchange at UNSW we recommend you determine the number of courses you need to take and the duration of your UNSW Study. The number of terms and therefore the length of your stay at UNSW is your study plan.
  • For more information on which tailored plan works best for you, please see the UNSW website which shows you what options are available to you based on the number of courses you will be taking: or you can also find more information on tailoring your term on pages 14 -17 in the UNSW 2020 Study Abroad and Exchange Guide
  • Below, please find all the semester dates for January Term, Term 1, Term 2, August Term and Term 3:
  • * Orientation is compulsory for all incoming Study Abroad and Exchange Students. Students commencing in the January or August Terms only need to attend the orientation in those terms.

    January Term (JT)

    Year 2019 2020
    Orientation* 7 Jan 7-9 Feb
    Teaching Period 6 Jan 6 Jan-7 Feb

    Term 1

    Year 2019 2020
    Orientation* 14 Feb 13 Feb
    Teaching Period 18 Feb - 1 May 17 Feb - 28 Apr
    Study period 2 May - 4 May 29 Apr - 1 May
    Exams 6 May - 18 May 2 May - 16 May

    Term 2

    Year 2019 2020
    Teaching Period 3 Jun - 13 Aug 1 Jun - 10 Aug
    Study period 14 Aug - 16 Aug 11 Aug - 13 Aug
    Exams 17 Aug - 31 Aug 14 Aug - 29 Aug

    August Term (AT)

    Year 2019 2020
    Orientation* 15 Aug TBC
    Teaching Period 19 Aug - 13 Sept TBC

    Term 3

    Year 2019 2020
    Orientation* 12 Aug 10 Sep
    Teaching Period 16 Sep - 25 Nov 14 Sep - 23 Nov
    Study period 26 Nov - 28 Nov 24 Nov - 26 Nov
    Exams 29 Nov - 14 Dec 27 Nov - 12 Dec
Additional Information Course Load (including ECT conversion)
  • 18 UNSW Credits per Standard Term (Typically 3 courses) – equivalent to 22.5 ECTS
  • 24 UNSW Credits per Tailored Term (Typically 4 courses) – equivalent to 30 ECTS
  • 48 UNSW Credits per Year (Typically 8 courses) – equivalent to 60 ECTS
Course Availability and Enrolment Options
  • You can study almost any course at UNSW (subject to availability) as long as you have the required background knowledge and approval from Trinity. A complete list of courses can be found in the UNSW Online Handbook
  • UNSW recommend you check the UNSW Online Timetable to ensure that your chosen courses are available.
  • Enrolment is subject to course availability and your academic background. It is important to be flexible with your course choice as some fill up quickly or may not be offered in a particular term. Some courses are restricted.

  • Internships
  • UNSW offers some internship opportunities through their Study Abroad Program. Exchange students can apply for these internships, however you will be required to pay the internship fee. The internships are worth 6 UNSW credits (or one course) and students are required to enrol in other courses to make up the full-time study load. Contact the UNSW office for further information and application forms.
Restrictions to Study
  • For a list of restricted courses and course prerequisites, please see pages 2-3 of the UNSW factsheet
  • On-campus housing
  • A variety of room types and apartments are available, including catered colleges, self-catered university apartments or privately-run colleges on (or very close) to campus. University accommodation should be pre-arranged as places are limited and not guaranteed even if applied by the deadline.
  • UNSW Accommodation includes very limited accommodation at the self-catered University Terraces, Barker Apartments, Mulwarree Apartments, and fully-catered Kensington Colleges. Information including fees, application form and deadline is sent to students after they have been accepted into the exchange program.
  • UNSW also has eight other affiliated Colleges and Apartments that provide high quality accommodation. You should apply directly to the College or Apartment as soon as possible.
Meal Plans
  • A student visa requires you to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for its full duration (most students from Belgium, Norway and Sweden are exempt).
  • OSHC is a government requirement and cannot be waived with off-shore health insurance and/or comprehensive travel insurance.
  • The UNSW’s preferred provider is Medibank. Further instructions are provided upon acceptance.
Additional Notes
  • Student visas allow work once they have commenced their course at UNSW. You can work up to 40 hours a fortnight during session and unlimited hours when your course is not in session.

University of Queensland

  • University Name
    • University of Queensland
  • Website(s)
  • Semester Dates
    • Semester 1: July- November
    • Semester 2: February- June
  • Additional Notes
    • UQ has four main campuses - St. Lucia, Ipswich, Herston and Gatton. Most exchange students study at either the St Lucia or Gatton campus. Students should try not to timetable courses taught at two different campuses on the same day. If the majority of their courses are taught on one campus (e.g. Gatton), they should make accommodation arrangements close to that campus.
    • Please refer to the University of Queensland factsheet for more information.
  • Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Australian immigration regulations require that international students are enrolled as full-time students during their studies in Australia. You must plan to enrol in a full-time load during each semester you study at UQ. A standard full-time load is eight units, which usually equates to four courses per semester.
  • Course availability and enrolment options
    • Study Abroad and Incoming Exchange students may select from most of the 4,000 courses across our six faculties. A full list of courses can be found on the UQ Courses and Programs website:
    • Most courses at UQ are open to Study Abroad and Incoming Exchange students but some require permission from the relevant UQ faculty or school prior to enrolment. UQ’s Study Abroad and Incoming Exchange Advisors will request a report with your letter of offer indicating which courses have been approved.
  • Restrictions to Study
    • Aside from Health Science and postgraduate Psychology, we have not been made aware of any restrictions to the disciplines exchange students may study in the University of Queensland.

    • Please note: Most Clinical Health Science courses (Medicine, Dentistry, Physiotherapy, Occupational and Speech Therapy and Vet Science courses) are not available for Study Abroad or Incoming Exchange Students.
  • Accommodation
    • Spaces are very limited and in high demand so students are advised to apply early
  • Estimated Costs of Living
  • Insurance
    • Health Insurance Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) provides international students with basic cover for medical and hospital care costs while in Australia. OSHC is a compulsory requirement for a student visa. If you choose, UQ can organise OSHC for you through its preferred provider.
  • University of Sydney

    University Name
    • University of Sydney
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Semester 1: July- November
    • Semester 2: March- June
    Additional Material Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • For one semester, you’ll typically enrol in four units of study – each valued at 6 credit points – to make up a workload of 24 credit points. For a one-year program, you will enrol in 48 credit points across two semesters.
    • The undergraduate units of study have the numbers 1000-3000 appearing in the course code. Codes in the 1000 range typically correspond to first year study, 2000s to second year study and 3000s to third year study. Codes for postgraduate students are typically numbered 5000-6000 level.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
    • While this exchange is open to students from most departments in college, there are many disciplines at the University of Sydney which have special admission requirements which may affect your acceptance into modules in your area of study. It is important that you review the information about this provided on this sheet before applying.
    • Health Science: This exchange may be suitable for some Health Science students.
    • Law: The University of Sydney have a separate exchange agreement with the Law School and Law students should contact the Law School about that rather than applying for a place on this College-wide Exchange.
    Additional Information
    • University of Sydney can accept part-year students. Part-year students should note that not all modules are offered in each semester every year and you should search the modules available in the semester you wish to study there to ensure there are sufficient modules available.
    • Housing is guaranteed if you apply by the specified date each semester.
      University of Sydney will advise Trinity of the specific accommodation deadline.
    • Health insurance is compulsory for most international students who are studying in Australia. It is a condition of your student visa that you maintain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your studies. This cover needs to be arranged before you can apply for your student visa.
    • The University’s preferred OSHC provider is Allianz Global Assist and if you indicate that you’d like us to arrange your OSHC then we will arrange the necessary type and length of cover. This is arranged once you have paid for your OSHC cover.
    • Cost: $330 for 6 months (2017 rate)
    • If you’d like to arrange your OSHC cover, immigration have approved providers.
    • Norwegian, Belgian and Swedish students are exempt from OSHC as a result of special inter-governmental arrangements.

    Monash University

    University Name
    • Monash University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • The academic year runs from the end of February to the beginning of November and is divided into two semesters, each with a mid-semester break:
    • Semester 1: late February – June
    • Semester 1: late July – November
    • Each semester has 12 weeks of classes and the majority of classes have three to four contact hours per week per unit. These are followed by a three week exam period. You must study a full-time load of on-campus units while at Monash. This is normally 24 credit points made up of four units or 18 credit points to satisfy visa regulations.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • You must enrol in full-time study (18-24 credit points).
    • At Monash, degrees are referred to as courses and subjects are referred to as units. Students take a series of units as part of their course. As an Exchange student, you can select from over 6000 coursework units at Monash. Exceptions apply in some areas, so please refer to the restrictions outlined below.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
      There are some subjects that, for different reasons, aren't available to you as an exchange student. For example:
    • In most cases 4th year and honours units are not available
    • Postgraduate units are only available to postgraduate students (those who have already completed a bachelor degree)
    • Units offered only offshore (Malaysia, Prato etc) are not available unless you are studying at that campus or location
    • Off-campus learning (OCL) or distance education (DE) units are not available. Students can study their units across the Clayton and the Caulfield campuses. However, those wishing to study units taught at the Peninsula, Berwick or Parkville campuses must take all their units of study at that single respective campus.

    • For a comprehensive list of all the restrictions by Faculty please make sure to familiarise yourself with the Academic Considerations page.
    • As an Exchange student, you can apply for a place at the Clayton or Malaysia campuses. Even if you study at Caulfield campus in Melbourne, you can still stay at Clayton and use a free shuttle bus service offered by Monash University, which runs between the two campuses. If you prefer to stay off-campus, Monash Residential Services can help you find a place to live. To find out more, please visit
    • The Monash Abroad office will email students instructions on how to apply online for on-campus accommodation once they have successfully submitted their exchange application; students should not apply directly to Monash Residential Services (MRS).
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • For a comprehensive breakdown of the approximate cost of living (for both on-campus and off-campus accommodation) please see the Monash cost of living page
    • Also, keep in mind that in Australia, your student visa allows you to work on a part-time basis for up to 40 hours per fortnight during the semester. During official breaks, the number of hours is unlimited!
    • OSHC is insurance to assist international students meet the costs of medical and hospital care that they may need while in Australia. OSHC will also pay limited benefits for pharmaceuticals and ambulance services. It is a condition of student visas that visa-length OSHC be purchased and maintained for the duration of that visa. Failure to purchase OSHC will result in students being non-compliant with their student visa requirements. Students can arrange to pay for their OSHC when accepting their offer through Monash. Monash University’s preferred provider is OSHC with Allianz Global Assistance and we would highly recommend students take this option. Students retain the right to choose their own OSHC provider which must come from the list of providers below.
    • For more information, please see the Overseas Student Health Cover section of the Australian Department of Health website.
    • Non-Monash University OSHC preferred suppliers:
    1. Australian Health Management
    2. BUPA Australia
    3. Medibank Private
    4. NIBli
    Additional Information


    McGill University

    University Name
    • McGill University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Fall Term: September to December
    • Winter Term: January to April
    Additional Material Application Process Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • A full-time course load at McGill is considered as 12-15 credits per term. Exchange students are not permitted to take more than 15 credits per term.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • The majority of undergraduate courses are available to all exchange and study abroad students. The prime determinant of entry is that a student has completed the specified prerequisite or a course of similar content and level. Students may study across different course areas (see below for restrictions).
    Restrictions to Study

    • Desautels Faculty of Management
      Courses in finance have extremely limited enrolment. Students who wish to study at the Desautels Faculty of Management may participate in this exchange but should note that as McGill have difficulty trying to place students in Accounting and Finance courses, they can only allow us to nominate 1 student for this faculty and ask that the student is flexible with their course selection.

    • Music
      Schulich School of Music strongly recommends exchange students start in the Fall term.

    • Engineering
      Limited spaces in Chemical, Civil and Mechanical disciplines. This exchange is not suitable for students from these disciplines.

    • Science
      The following Science programs have limited enrolment courses and this exchange is not suitable for students from these disciplines:
      Anatomy and Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biology, Microbiology, Physiology

    • General
      Normally, Undergraduate students wishing to register for 500 level courses must be registered in their final year of study at their home university (or they should be in an upper year or demonstrate that they meet the pre-requisites requirement. This will have to be determined by the department offering the course).

    • The following courses, among others, are not open to exchange students:
    • Courses offered at McGill University by some professional faculties that are restricted to degree candidates in their programs
    • Research project courses and thesis courses
    • Special topics courses
    • Courses in the Centre for Continuing Education
    • Exchange students are expected to register for courses offered by the faculty to which they have been accepted. Only under exceptional circumstances may they take one course per term outside of the McGill faculty to which they have been accepted, and only with permission from the admitted faculties and either the department or faculty offering the course.
    • While part year study is possible in the Fall term or the Winter term, students should be aware that there may be less space in classes in the Fall term than in the Winter term, so that classes may be more difficult to get into in the fall term.
    Accommodation Meal Plans Insurance
    • It is a condition of your student visa that you take out Overseas Student Health Cover. ANU will assist you in making this payment before a student visa is issued. Students are advised to take out further travel insurance with an independent provider.
    Estimated Costs of Living

    University of Toronto

    University Name
    • University of Toronto
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Fall Term: September to December
    • Winter Term: January to April
    Application Process Additional Notes:
    • Exchange students are nominated to ONE of The University of Toronto’s three campuses:
    1. U of T St. George in downtown Toronto
    2. U of T Mississauga (UTM) to the west
    3. U of T Scarborough (UTSC) to the east

    • All three campuses are open to exchange students from TCD and offer different experiences and opportunities.

    • UTM and UTSC are smaller campuses, located in the suburbs and can provide on-campus housing but offer less in terms of course selection. St. George is in the heart of the City and can't offer housing but students will have access to most courses offered by the Faculty of Arts and Science (provided they have the appropriate academic background). Students take all of their courses at their host campus.

    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • For undergraduate-level exchange students, the minimum work load to be considered a "full-time student" is three (3) courses (1.5 credits) per semester.

      For undergraduate-level exchange students admitted to the Faculty of Applied Science and Engineering, the minimum work load to be considered a "full-time student" is four (4) courses (2.0 credits) per semester.

    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
    • The academic programmes which are not available to exchange programme students include: Bachelor of Education (BEd), the Academic Bridging Program, the Concurrent Teacher Education Program (CTEP), Biochemistry (BCH), the Co-op (work placement) programme at UTSC as well as the first year “One” programs in the Faculty of arts and Science (ex. Vic One, Trin One, Munk One etc). Some programmes at the University of Toronto have limited capacity to hosting exchange students.

    • These include undergraduate courses in:
    • Visual Studies (VIS)
    • Drama (DRM – practical)
    • Architecture
    • School of the Environment (ENV)
    • Peace and Conflict Studies (PCJ)
    • 400-level courses in History and Political Science.
    • Management
    • Business / Commerce
    • Business/Management/Commerce
    • The University of Toronto is able to accept exchange students wishing to do Commerce courses at the Rotman Commerce program on the St. George (downtown) campus, however, space is quite limited. It is possible to take Management courses at the Mississauga or Scarborough campuses. Exchange students who must take Business courses at U of T and have a preference to study at the St. George campus, must be prepared to be hosted by either the Mississauga or Scarborough campuses if that is what they are offered.

    • U of T advises that Scarborough is well-known for its Management Program. U of T Scarborough maintains strong ties to the businesses and community organizations across the Greater Toronto Area and beyond, creating opportunities unique to its students. For more information on the U of T Scarborough please visit:
      Exchange students at the U of T Scarborough campus, may only take courses at that campus.

    • While part year study is possible, students should understand that many courses (particularly language courses) are full year ("Y") courses and that semester exchange students cannot enrol in these.

    • Please note that there are difficulties with enrolling students to Computer Science modules at the moment

    • If you enrol at the Scarborough campus (UTSC), you are guaranteed on-campus housing, provided you complete the residence application and submit your deposit by the deadline indicated in your admission package.
    • If you enrol at the Mississauga campus (UTM), guaranteed on-campus housing is provided to full-year (Sept. to April) exchange students only. You must complete the residence application and submit your deposit by the deadline indicated in your admission package. There is no guaranteed on-campus housing for one semester (e.g., Fall and Winter) exchange students.
    • Exchange students at the St. George (UTSG) campus are NOT guaranteed on-campus housing.
    • All international (including exchange) students are required to purchase health insurance through the University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP). This is a mandatory fee that all exchange students must pay.

    University of British Columbia

    University Name
    • University of British Columbia
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Term 1: September-December
    • Term 2: January-April
    Application Process Additional Notes
    • UBC’s two main campuses are situated in Vancouver and in Kelowna in the Okanagan Valley.
    • For more information please refer to the UBC Factsheet.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • A regular course load at UBC is 30 credits per academic year or 15 credits per semester. Most single term courses are a 3-credit course. Exchange students typically take between 9 and 15 credits per semester, depending on the degree requirements at home university. Students must maintain registration of minimum of 9 credits per term to be considered as a full-time student.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • University-wide exchange open to Trinity students in the following faculties:

      AHSS: Arts, Humanities Social Sciences (except for Law and Business)
      FEMS: Engineering, Maths and Science (except for Engineering and Computer Science)

      Please note that as of July 2017 there is no exchange for Health Sciences

    Restrictions to Study Accommodation
    • UBC Vancouver:
    • A limited number of rooms are reserved for exchange students.
    • For Term 1 only students, priority is given to:
    • Students from partner schools that evenly distribute Term 1 and Term 2 nomination spots
    • Students whose nomination is submitted during the regular nomination periods
    • Full year and Term 2 students have priority access
    • All residence offers are sent by email from Vancouver housing office and include an expiry date to respond and pay a deposit
    • UBC Okanagan:
    • Currently, the housing office in the Okanagan will prioritize all exchange applicants if they apply by the deadline.
    • Term 2 students will be able to apply for housing in the fall semester.
    • All residence offers are sent by email from Okanagan housing office and include an expiry date to respond and pay a deposit.
    • Housing applications can be done online at after the exchange application is completed.
    • There is a $50 non-refundable application fee.

    Estimated Cost of Living Insurance
    • Students staying less than 6 months (one term only)
      Single-term students are automatically covered under iMED (mandatory health insurance plan) for the duration of their exchange at UBC. The cost of iMED for one term students is $252 CDN.

    • Students staying for more than 6 months (full year or split-year students):
      Full year students are automatically covered by iMED for the first three months before they can be enrolled in BC Medical Services Plan (MSP), which is the basic medical insurance provided and required by BC government for anyone who will reside in BC for more than six months.

      The cost of iMED for full year students is $180 CDN. The iMED plan will ensure that students have adequate medical coverage from the time they leave home (up to ten days prior to arrival if within the coverage dates) and while they are waiting to be enrolled in BC MSP.

      Full year and split-year students must apply for BC MSP as soon as they arrive in BC, Canada. There is a three-month waiting period before students can be enrolled in MSP, during which time the students are covered under iMED.

    • More information on:
    • iMED -
    • BC MSP -

    University of Waterloo

  • University Name
    • University of Waterloo
  • Website(s)
  • Semester Dates
    • At the University of Waterloo two terms of study are equivalent to a full academic year however Waterloo operate on a trimester system: Fall: September- December, Winter: January- April, Spring: May-August
  • Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • The full-time course load is 5 courses per term (equivalent to 2.5 credits) with a minimum of 3 courses per term (equivalent to 1.5 credits). Most of our courses are assessed as a credit of 0.5 and are approximately 39 teaching hours per term. Some courses may include supplementary tutorials (TUT) or labs (LAB) in addition to lectures (LEC). One undergraduate course at 0.5 credits is equivalent to 6 European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS).
  • Course availability and enrolment options
    • The University of Waterloo is generally known for their Engineering but they also highlight Computer Science, Nanotechnology, Kinesiology and English Language and Literature among their strengths.
  • Restrictions to Study
    • Business, Psychology, Social Work
      This exchange is not suitable for students of Business, Psychology or Social Work.
    • Economics, Computer Science
      This exchange is only suitable for Economics students who may take a maximum of 2 Economics modules per term and Computer Science students who may take a maximum of 3 Computer Science modules per term. For Computer Science, see Faculty of Mathematics on the below list of restricted courses.
    • Engineering, Science
      Some modules in these disciplines are restricted at uWaterloo but students of Engineering/Science may apply for this exchange if they have checked the restrictions in the below list and discussed with their Departmental Coordinators and have their express permission. This must be made clear on your application.

      For Science, it will depend very much on your specialisation. All SCBUS modules (modules from uWaterloo’s Science and Business Programme) are restricted and there are a number of restrictions in Geography. For Geography, see uWaterloo’s Faculty of Environment on the below list of restricted courses.

      List of restricted courses:

  • Accommodation
    • Study abroad students are not eligible for on-campus accommodations and will be required to make arrangements for off-campus housing. Waterloo Co-operative Residence Inc. (WCRI) is a very convenient option located right next to campus. You can also search the Off-Campus Housing listing service.
  • Insurance
    • Every student will be signed up for the University Health Insurance Plan which covers your basic medical costs while you're in Canada. You will also be registered for the Student Extended Health and Dental Insurance that will cover extra costs, like prescription drugs and dental care. You can opt out of receiving extended health and dental insurance at your own discretion.


    Beihang University

    University Name
    • Beihang University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Fall Semester: September - January
    • Spring Semester: March - July
    Language of Instruction
    • Chinese, except for a very limited number of English-medium modules. See 'restrictions'' above for more detail.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study

      There is a very limited number of modules delivered through English at Beihang University.
      As a result, for undergraduate students who are not proficient in Chinese, this exchange is only suitable for those in the following disciplines:

    • Electronic Engineering and Electronic/Computer Engineering

    • There is potential for Electronic Engineering and Electronic/Computer Engineering students to participate in this exchange. However, due to the limited number of modules delivered through English, it is important to investigate the modules on offer in consultation with your Departmental Coordinator before applying for this exchange.

      Please be advised that students who hold a Chinese passport cannot be admitted as exchange students in China.

    Additional Information

    • For more information on the student exchange programme at the Beihang University, please see the following links:

    • All exchange students can enrol in a free Chinese language course for 4 hours a week or apply for a Chinese course of up to 20 hours per week for which the registration fee will be charged. Application takes place on arrival. The course is part time and designed to be taken parallel with your regular studies. Students are expected to get 2 credits for the Chinese courses.
    • Students can apply for on-campus housing by filling in the Application Form for International Student Dormitory (you can find this form on the Beihang website). The form must be sent to as soon as the student receives a Letter of Admission for their exchange study from Beihang University.
    • Students will be required to register for Comprehensive Insurance & Protection Scheme for Foreigners Staying in China on arrival. The cost is 400 RMB/6 months.

    Peking University

    University Name
    • Peking University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Autumn Semester: September - January
    • Spring Semester: February – June
    Language of Instruction

    • Proficiency in Chinese is generally required.

    • Students who are proficient in Chinese can apply to be enrolled in the relevant school/department either by providing the HSK certificate or by passing the Chinese language test upon registration. HSK requirements - new HSK test: Level 6, old HSK test: Level 7.

    • Students who are not proficient in Chinese can only be enrolled in School of Chinese as a Second Language. As the courses in the School of Chinese as a Second Language are generally all in the areas of Chinese language and culture, these courses would be unsuitable for most Trinity students. While studying in this school, students can also choose 1-2 English courses per semester at other schools/departments if the courses and quotas are available, however this is generally not enough to make up a full course load. The limited number of English modules at undergraduate level are mainly in the School of Economics, Guanghua School of Management and the School of Law.

    • Senior Visiting Students and Research Scholars are not required to take the Chinese language proficiency exam, on the premise that the candidate experiences no obstacles in communicating with their supervisor.

    • Peking University’s regulations require that all international students must be medically insured throughout their entire planned period of study. Students are required to purchase the Comprehensive Insurance Plan of Foreign Students provided by Ping An insurance company on the day of registration, which has been recognized and recommended by the Chinese Ministry of Education. Students who do not have valid medical insurance are not allowed to register.
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • Accommodation: approximately 35,000 RMB/year
    • Board (meals): approximately 15,000 RMB/year
    • Transportation and other miscellaneous costs: approximately 5,000 RMB/year

    Tsinghua University

    University Name
    • Tsinghua University
    Website(s) Application Process Additional Information
    • Please see the Tsinghua Handbook for important information on the exchange programme and general guidelines.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • The maximum credits that may be taken is 20 each semester, of which a maximum of 8 credit hours may be chosen from departments other than that of your major discipline.
    Language of Instruction
    • Chinese, except for a limited number of English-medium modules. See 'restrictions' for more detail.
    • Students applying for an exchange place at Tsinghua University should pass Band six of HSK unless they have studied the Chinese language for at least two years or they choose to study only modules taught in English. (If you are proficient in Chinese this must be made clear on your application).
    Restrictions to Study
    • There are a limited number of modules delivered through English at Tsinghua University so this exchange will only be suited to some students.
    • In some cases, undergraduate exchange students may take some graduate level modules at Tsinghua and this will open up a wider variety of English-medium modules for them.
    • Students who are proficient in Chinese may take courses in Chinese and in English.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Accommodation
    • The number of on-campus apartment rooms are limited. New students need to book rooms in advance within the time specified.

      On Campus Accommodation:
    • If your dormitory application is successful, you have to complete the check-in procedure within the designated time.
    • Bring your admission notice, passport, and accommodation payment to the general reception desk of the Zijing International Student Apartments to get the Registration Form of Temporary Residence.

      Off-Campus Accommodation:
    • Each international student who lives off-campus needs to accompany the landlord to the local police station to register within 24 hours after moving into the apartment in order to acquire a Registration Form of Temporary Residence.
    • If you have to renew or extend your visa and/or re-enter China, you can re-register with the police without the landlord present. Simply bring your passport and Registration Form of Temporary Residence to the local police station to complete the procedure.
    • According to the rules and regulations of the Ministry of Education of China, all international students are required to purchase comprehensive medical insurance.
    • Students have to purchase comprehensive group insurance as well as pay the tuition fee upon registration.
    • The insurance covers accidental injury, hospitalization, and more. Please refer to the materials given upon registration for details). Medical insurance premiums: 600 yuan/year/person.
    Estimated Costs of Living

    University Nottingham Ningbo China

    University Name
    • University Nottingham Ningbo China
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Autumn Semester: September - January
    • Spring Semester: February - June
    Application Process Scholarship Additional Information Language of Instruction
    • All undergraduate and postgraduate programs in Ningbo are conducted entirely in English with the same teaching and evaluation standards as at Nottingham UK by staff either seconded from Nottingham UK or appointed internationally to the University of Nottingham standards.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Students' intended course of study at UNNC must be approved by their home institution before applying to Study Abroad or International Exchange to ensure smooth credit transfer.
    • Students are required to undertake a full-time course of study for one or two semesters. Modules are normally worth 10-20 credits each. The average full time workload is 60 Nottingham credits (30 ECTS credits) in one semester and 120 credits (60 ECTS credits) over two semesters in one year. 50 credits is the minimum full-time workload in one semester.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • TCD departments which have approved this exchange to date are:
    • Economics
    • Business

    • The areas of study at UNNC are:
    • International Business
    • Economics
    • International Studies
    • International Communications
    • Computer Science
    • Engineering

    • For further information please see pages 3 and 4 of the UNNC factsheet, or alternatively, you can search the Course Catalogue.

    Restrictions to Study
    • UNNC offers courses in a limited number of disciplines so it will only be an option for certain students.
    • This exchange is not suitable for Civil Engineering or Computer Science students.
    Additional Information
    • UNNC advises that students should choose modules from the relevant division and degree programme, and select the suitable level (Year) you want to take.
    • UNNC explains that Level 0 module is for Year One students; Level 1 module is for Year Two students; Level 2 & 3 is for Year Three (Part I) & Year Four (Part II) students, however, you will have to check with your TCD Departmental Coordinator to see what level is suitable for you.
    • UNNC Strengths: Engineering, Computer Science, Architecture and the Built Environment, Economics and International Studies.
    • All new international students are guaranteed an offer of accommodation subject to certain conditions
    • Students will live in an International Student Residence Hall on campus with other students from around the world where all the rooms are fully furnished. There are several options available for international students.
    • Further information on on-campus accommodation in UNNC is available online:
    • All international students must buy “Ping An Life Insurance for foreigners staying in China” from the University Finance Office to cover his/her whole study period until graduation.
    • The “Ping An Life Insurance for foreigners staying in China” covers Death Insurance, Disability Insurance, Accidental Injury Medical Treatment Insurance Liability and Hospitalization Medical Treatment Insurance Liability.
    • All international students will be automatically covered by above insurance within one week after registration and students will be required to pay an insurance fee of 600RMB per year to the University Finance Office.
    • One year postgraduate students and final year Pre-Master students will be required to pay 900RMB insurance fee to cover study period until November for graduation.
    • Please note that the insurance slip will be one of the main documents required to apply for the residence permit.

    Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University

    University Name
    • Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University
    Website(s) Application Process
    • Exchange students should apply through their home institution’s study abroad office.
    • The home university will then nominate students to XJTLU.
    • After receiving the list of nominated students, XJTLU will invite each student to complete an application form.
    Language of Instruction
    • All modules, except the intermediate and advanced Chinese language courses, are taught through English.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Students normally study 20 credits per semester
    • Choose your modules in order of preference when you submit your selections to XJTLU
    • You should apply for more modules than you need (XJTLU strongly recommend 40 credits per semester), in case you do not get your first choice because of timetable clashes and/or module changes
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
      This exchange is open to students of:
    • Business
    Restrictions to Study
    • An exchange student can study a maximum of one Chinese Language module (CLT module) per semester.
    • China Studies (CCS) and Physical Education (PHE) modules are not available for exchange students.
    Additional Information
    • The first number in the module code refers to the undergraduate level at XJTLU (0, 1, 2, and 3).
    • Undergraduate degree courses at XJTLU are four years with general education covered in level zero.
    • Degree-specific content is taught at levels one, two and three according to the typical three-year model in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
    • All international students are guaranteed accommodation throughout their study at XJTLU
    • Accommodation options range from studios to six-bedroom apartments (subject to availability with preference given to advanced bookings)
    • Please see the following link for more information:
    • From the point of registration with the university, all students are insured by a basic insurance package, which covers, for example, accidental injuries, hospitalisation, death, and disability caused by accidents.
    • Due to the government’s processing system, it takes around 6 months to receive your insurance card. In this case, after occurrence of any medical expenses in the hospital, you need to keep the receipts and then go through a manual reimbursement procedure. You should be aware that the basic insurance package is not direct billing, so you will need to pay cash and then claim back the treatment or medication expenses afterwards.
    • It is important to budget for potential medical costs and we advise you to keep at least 10,000 RMB in your Chinese bank account in case of medical emergencies.
    • Should you wish to you can choose to upgrade this insurance to include other services such as dental and private clinics; however, it may be more financially viable to consider purchasing insurance from your home country if you want more comprehensive coverage.
    • If you already have purchased a medical insurance in your home country, you may want to check whether you can extend it to cover your stay in China.
    • It is strongly recommended that you buy travel insurance before you leave your home country. You will need to be careful to ensure that long stay is covered by the company. A good travel insurance should cover basic medical, possessions, delay and cancellation, in addition to repatriation and legal expenses.

    Hong Kong

    The Chinese University of Hong Kong

    University Name
    • The Chinese University of Hong Kong
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Semester 1: September – December
    • Semester 2: January – April
    Application Process Language of Instruction
    • Cantonese is the main spoken language in Hong Kong, but CUHK is a multilingual university, with English or Putonghua (Mandarin) used as the languages of instruction for many courses.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • At CUHK, one unit (credit) is roughly equivalent to one hour of instruction per week. Most 3-unit courses are composed of 3 hours of lectures, or 2 hours of lecture and 1 hour of tutorial per week. Academic departments will evaluate students' performance according to their own standards. Students will receive credits for all successfully completed courses.

    • Undergraduate students (exchange and study abroad students) must take a full load of courses i.e. a minimum of 9 units and a maximum of 18 units per term. Those who want to learn Chinese can take Chinese proficiency courses offered by the Yale-China Chinese Language Centre.

    • Postgraduate exchange and study-abroad students, except those from programmes with a specific course-load requirement, can either take a full load of 9 to 18 units of courses, or conduct research by taking a minimum of three units per term.

    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • This exchange is open to the following disciplines:
    • Maths
    • Chinese
    • Sociology Studies
    • Economics & Finance: Global Economics & Finance, Quantitative Finance, Quantitative Finance & Risk Management Science
    Restrictions to Study
    • The following restrictions apply to exchange students:
    • Faculty of Medicine courses (except some public health courses)
    • Faculty of Education courses (except some sports science and physical education (SPED) courses taught in English and those physical education (PHED) course with an X after the course number)
    • Student orientated teaching (STOT) courses
    • Courses under MSc in Advanced Environmental Planning Technologies
    • Courses under MSc in Hospitality and Real Estate Management
    • Courses under MSc in Housing Studies Programme
    • FINA courses under MSc in Finance Programme offered by the Department of Finance
    • MEDN courses under biology programme in the School of Life Sciences
    • For further information on course restrictions (including Law restrictions) please see the following link:
    Additional Information
    • This exchange is part year
    • Term 2 is the preferred semester for exchange

    • Undergraduate Hostels
    • Single rooms are not available for undergraduate exchange and study-abroad students.
    • For more information, see the Accommodation Application section in the FAQ or please visit the following link for more information on accommodation options at HKU:
    • Living with local students will help students with the transition to a new environment and immerse into the Chinese culture.
    • On-campus housing is automatically assigned to admitted students, additional application is not required.

    • Postgraduate Hostels
    • The Jockey Club Postgraduate Hall PGH1 provides single rooms. You can also live off-campus, but private rentals in Hong Kong are expensive.
    • Housing for married graduate students is limited, so international students with a spouse or family might need to seek accommodation off campus.
    • You should arrange accident and sickness insurance that includes emergency-evacuation and repatriation expenses for the duration of your stay in Hong Kong at your own cost.
    • If you plan to travel outside Hong Kong, make sure your insurance policy covers the place you are visiting.
    • Before you arrange your own insurance, check with your parents first if you are covered by any health insurance policies they have.
    • Bring a copy of any insurance policies you have to Hong Kong; when you first report to the Office of Academic Links you will be asked for copies in case of an emergency.
    Estimated Costs of Living

    The University of Hong Kong

    University Name
    • The University of Hong Kong
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • September- November (assessment in December)
    • January – April (assessment in May)
    Application Process Additional Information Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Students are required to take a minimum of 24 credits (6 credits per course in general) to usually a maximum of 30 credits per semester and at least 3 courses (worth 18 credits) must be chosen from one single faculty, with the remaining credits from other faculties. (For Faculty of Business and Economics, the minimum and maximum credits is 6 and 30 respectively.)
    • All courses, except those offered by the School of Chinese, are taught in English. Taught master-level programmes are generally not offered to exchange students. If you wish to conduct research under a supervisor, please contact for procedures.
    • Students are required to check the course pre-requisite / requirement before selecting.
    • Actual enrolment is subject to class availability and class schedule.
    • The HKU credit system is based on the ECTS (European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System) model. A semester of study in HKU and in a ECTS-compliant institution will be considered as equal in credit value under normal circumstances. However, the actual credit transfer of courses will be subject to the policies and procedures of your home institution.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • The following disciplines are open to exchange students:
    • Business
    • Computer Science
    • Mathematics
    • Sociology
    • Arts & Humanities – Chinese & China Studies, English, History, Linguistics, Philosophy

      All courses are taught in English apart from Chinese Language courses (course codes start with CHIN – e.g. CHIN2013).

    Restrictions to Study
    • Faculty of Business & Economics:
    • Courses offered by the Faculty of Business and Economics (FBE) are highly competitive. Students who are in their final year in particular, should note that course enrolment is NOT guaranteed.
    • Students who apply to FBE should have a grade level of B average / CGPA 3.0 / Satisfactory level.
    • Students should have already completed the course prerequisites before requesting to enrol in courses with pre- requirements Co-registration (e.g taking Microeconomics I and II together in a semester) is not allowed.
    • Economics and Finances courses highly emphasize mathematics.

    Additional Information
    • Selection Process During Course Selection Period in August
    • Course approval method: first-come-first-served
    • During the course selection period in August, your selections of Common Core courses are time-stamped. Pending approval of courses enrolment, you are able to check your position in the queue as well as the number of vacancies available in the course. The system will approve your course selection on a first-come-first-served basis.
    • Any enrolments not approved as a result of oversubscription will be placed on a ranked waiting list. The system will perform the enrolment approval process a few times a day and you can check and make changes to your course selection online during the course selection period.

    • Highly competitive. Possible to apply before offer of admission. Offers made on a first-come, first-served basis.
    • For more information, see the Accommodation Application section in the FAQ or please visit the following link for more information on accommodation options at HKU:
    Meal Plans Insurance
    • You should arrange, at your own cost, accident and sickness insurance for the duration of your studies in Hong Kong. The coverage should include provisions for emergency evacuation/rescuer's expenses and repatriation.
    • If you plan to travel outside Hong Kong, you should make sure that your insurance policy covers those destinations as well.

    Hong Kong University of Science & Technology

    University Name
    • Hong Kong University of Science & Technology
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Fall term: Early September to late December
    • Spring term: Late January /early February to late May
    Additional Information Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • The Fall and Spring terms are each 13 weeks long.
    • Most courses at HKUST are 3 credits, with three hours of lectures per week, totalling 39 lecture hours per term.
    • The normal credit load is 15 credits (5 courses) each term.
    • The minimum credit load is 12 credits (4 courses) and the maximum is 17–18 credits (6 courses).
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Exchanges are open to the following schools:
    • School of Science (SSCI) - Students in non-Science majors will be considered
      Life Science (LIFS)
      Mathematics (MATH)
      Chemistry (CHEM)
      Physics (PHYS)
    • School of Engineering (SENG) - Only students in Engineering majors will be considered
    • School of Business and Management (SBM) - Only students in Business majors will be considered
    • School of Humanities and Social Science (SHSS) - Only students in Humanities, Social Science or related majors will be considered
    Restrictions to Study
    • Exchange students are restricted from taking the following courses:


      Please see the below link for more information in the course catalogue. Please note that not all courses in the catalogue are available every term, and will be confirmed before the term starts. The below link also has more information on course codes, credits and course listings.

    • Undergraduate exchange students are provided with on-campus housing. After HKUST confirms your nomination status with your home institution, you will be sent information on student housing.
    • To be eligible, you must apply by the deadline given by the University. There are nine halls on campus that are available for undergraduate exchange students.
    • You may indicate your hall preference when you apply. Subject to availability, the University will allocate hall places according to the stated preference. Housing check-in for exchange students is usually in the week before the start of the school term. Most rooms are double occupancy, and some are triple. Only three halls have single rooms available.
    • You must have appropriate travel insurance that covers the duration of your study. Your insurance must meet a basic set of specifications that HKUST requires. If you are unable to do so, you can purchase a plan through HKUST that meets all the requirements. For more details about the insurance:

    City University Hong Kong

    University Name
    • City University Hong Kong
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Semester A: September – December
    • Semester B: January – May
    • Summer Term: June – August
    Application Process Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Under Hong Kong's immigration and visa policies, non-local students who do not have the right of abode or the right to land in Hong Kong are normally required to take up full-time studies. At CityU, this means enrolling for 12-18 credit units per semester and 6-7 credit units for the summer term.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Accommodation
    • Accommodation is available but not guaranteed.
    • As medical expenses can be quite high in Hong Kong, exchange students are required by CityU's policies to have medical and travel insurance coverage during their stay at the University. Please visit (Click on 'Incoming Exchange Students' -> 'Health & Insurance') for details.
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • Living costs will vary depending on individual lifestyle expectations. A basic student budget is estimated to be HK$4,500 (per month) including meals, transport, laundry and education expenses for books and stationery.


    Tokyo University

    University Name
    • Tokyo University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • S Semester: April – August
    • A Semester: September – March
    Application Process
    • Exchange students need to be nominated by their home universities. Please contact the office responsible for student exchange at your home university and check the application procedures and documents necessary for the exchange programs to study or to research at the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences/College of Arts and Sciences of UTokyo.
    • For further information on the documents required for the application process please see the following link: under the Application Procedures and Deadlines section.
    Additional Information
    • This exchange is a faculty-level exchange with the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences.
    • The AIKOM Program, which the University of Tokyo set up for overseas students in 1995, is based at the University of Tokyo's Komaba campus and AIKOM is short for "Abroad in Komaba".
    • Please see the Student Handbook for more information on study at the University of Tokyo.
    Language of Instruction
    • All courses in the AIKOM Program are offered in English and no prior knowledge of the Japanese language is required.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • The AIKOM program can accept part year students in either September or April.
    • The approved disciplines for this exchange are as follows:
    • English: TSM (with other approved subject)
    • History: TSM (with other approved subject)
    • Sociology: TSM or as part of PPES (with other approved subjects)
    • Political Science: Students considered on case-by-case basis (check with Departmental Coordinator)

      Please see the following link to access the Course Catalogue:

      This exchange is open to students from the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences but to-date it has only been approved for students from the above disciplines.

    Restrictions to Study
    • This exchange is limited to the AIKOM Program.
    • AIKOM Students receive accommodation at the University of Tokyo's Mitaka International Hall of Residence, located about 40 minutes from the Komaba Campus by train and bus. This dormitory has single rooms furnished with a bed, desk, kitchenette and shower. The students usually pay a little more than 12,000 yen per month for basic rent and utilities. For more information please see the following link:
    • All international students who have been granted permission to stay for more than three months are required to sign up in the National Health Insurance (NHI) plan at the municipal office where you registered as a resident.
    • To enrol in the NHI, you must go to the relevant desk in the municipal office, taking your residence card with you. You will receive your NHI certificate (hokensho) though the post.
    • The premium of NHI is approximately ¥40,000 for one year (12 months: April to next March, but the actual amount will vary depending on which local municipality you live in and some othercriteria. Please contact the NHI desk in your municipal office for more detail.
    • Whenever you receive medical treatment for illness or injury, 70% of the cost will be automatically covered by NHI, so you need to pay only 30% at the hospital's counter. However, you need to present your NHI card, so be sure to take it with you when visiting a hospital or doctor's office.

    University of Kyoto

    University Name
    • University of Kyoto
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Spring Semester: 1 April to 30 September
    • Fall Semester: 1 October to 31 March
    Language of Instruction
    • With the exception of English-taught degree courses, classes are generally conducted in Japanese unless specified otherwise. Those who wish to enroll in an undergraduate program or a master's program must, therefore, have sufficient proficiency in Japanese upon entering the university. For daily living, it is highly recommended that all international students learn at least some basic Japanese during their stay in Japan. The International Center of Kyoto University provides supplemental Japanese language classes to international students and researchers free of charge. Students can choose suitable classes from various options to suit their needs.
    • Undergraduate level: In order to enrol in regular, Japanese-taught courses, a Japanese proficiency level equivalent to N1 of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) is desirable.
    • Graduate level: For more information on graduate level language requirements please see the following link:
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Accommodation
    • International students who will be enrolled at Kyoto University within less than a year of their arrival in Japan are eligible to apply for a room in the Kyoto University International House. The application periods are January and July (three months prior to move-in). The tenancy period is either one year or six months (no-extendable in either case). To apply, please contact your faculty/graduate school office. For further information on Kyoto University International Houses, please refer to the following website:
    • Japanese law stipulates that all university students based in Japan must enroll in the country's National Health Insurance (NHI) program, which costs around 2,000 yen per month. Many KUINEP students from abroad keep their insurance plans from their home countries, while also being enrolled in NHI, in order to ensure adequate coverage.
    Financial Aid
    • The Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO), a government-sponsored non-profit organization promoting international student exchange, offers scholarships to a limited number of students. Exchange students may apply for the JASSO Scholarship for Short-Term Study in Japan, but it is not available to those expecting to 1) receive financial support of more than 80,000 yen per month from another source, or 2) reside in Japan without "Student" visa status, including Japanese nationals and permanent residents.
    • The JASSO Scholarship for Short-Term Study in Japan provides a monthly stipend of 80,000 yen.
    Estimated Costs of Living

    Waseda University

    University Name
    • Waseda University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Spring Semester: April to August
    • Fall Semester: Late September to February
    • Please note that each semester at Waseda is further divided into two terms:
    1. Spring Semester: April –June/June – August
    2. Fall Semester: Late September – November/Late November – February
    • Please also note that there is also a two month holiday from early February to the end of March.
    • For a list of all public, national and academic holidays please refer to the Waseda Academic Calendar and Timetable
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Minimum required hours of classes per week in your affiliated school is 10 hours (7 courses) unless otherwise specified. Please refer to each school’s policy.
    • Student may earn 2 credits for lecture-style course (90mins x15) and 1 credit for Japanese language course (90mins x15) offered by Center for Japanese Language (CJL) unless otherwise specified.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For a list of subjects that can be studied at Waseda please refer to the following link: and scroll down to 'Undergraduate (English-Based Program)'.
      You will be able to see all your study options listed by Faculty.
    Restrictions to Study
    • This exchange is not open to Law students as the language of instruction for Law courses at Waseda is Japanese.
    • JASSO Scholarship: Waseda exchange students are eligible to apply for the JASSO (Japanese Government Overseas Scholarship Organisation) Student Exchange Support Programme Scholarhsip. Scholarships are valued at 80,000 yen per month.
    • MEXT Scholarship: Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) is accepting applications for government sponsored scholarships for foreign students studying Japanese language and culture in Japanese universities. Students planning to enter Waseda’s Japanese Language Program (JLP) are eligible applicants for this grant, but the recommendation of their home university is required. The scholarship has a duration of eleven months, valued at 117,000 yen per month (tentative) and includes travel expenses one round trip.
    • For more information on both scholarships, please see the following link:
    • There are dormitories exclusively for exchange students at Waseda University. Waseda University International Students House, Waseda Hoshien, and Waseda University Nishi Waseda International Students House are all within walking distance from Waseda, Toyama and Nishi Waseda campuses.
    • For more information please see the Waseda University Residence Life Center page
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • Average cost per month is 80,000 yen for housing and 80,000 yen for living expenses (food, transportation and daily necessities).
    • It is essential to take out travel insurance before coming to Japan.
    • In addition, it is compulsory to join Japan’s national health insurance.The amount of the premium you pay varies depending on city or insurance company; however the average price is 1,500 yen per month.
    • Furthermore, Waseda University advise taking out optional vehicle liability insurance in case of accidents. More information will be provided at the general orientation.
    Additional Information

    New Zealand

    University of Auckland

    University Name
    • University of Auckland
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Semester One: March – July
    • Semester Two: July – November
    • Academic dates
    Application Process Additional Information
    • For more information on the exchange programme with Auckland please see the comprehensive factsheet below.
    Language of Instruction
    • English is the language of instruction and one of the official languages of New Zealand. Māori and New Zealand Sign Language are the other official languages of New Zealand.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • The standard course load for full-time study is 50-60 points per semester or 100-120 points per year. Most courses are weighted 15 points and students generally take four courses per semester.
    • Most courses include 2 lectures or classes per week and one tutorial or lab. Including assignments and out-of-class study, each course should involve about 10 hours work per week.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Course descriptions and schedules are published in early November for the subsequent year (Semesters One and Two).
    • Brief course descriptions as well as information on course prerequisites and restrictions are available in the University of Auckland course catalogue
    • For more detailed course descriptions, please refer to relevant faculty websites.
    Subject-Specific Course Selection
    • Undergraduate students in Law from non-Commonwealth countries must enrol in “LAWGENRL 443 – Introduction to Common Law” (10 points), a course usually offered in the week prior to the official start of semester.
    • Nursing students take course NURS 302 (60 points) which generally commences before the official start of semester.
    Restrictions to Study
    • Courses offered in Medicine, Surgery, Pharmacy and Optometry.
    • Courses running for the whole academic year - e.g. PSYCH 308A and 308B (except students enrolled for the whole University of Auckland academic year – February to November).
    • 100 level courses in Fine Arts, Architecture and Planning (unless you are majoring in this subject at your home university).
    • BUSINESS 101 and BUSINESS 102.
    • Graduate School of Management courses running on a quarterly basis – e.g. BUSACT, BUSADMIN etc.
    • Courses ending with the letters F or H - e.g. HISTORY 91F or MAORIHTH 14H. These are foundation year courses and not appropriate for Exchange students.
    • Stage I Engineering courses (ENGGEN 115, ENGGEN 121, ENGGEN 131, ENGGEN 140, ENGGEN 150, ENGSCI 111, ELECTENG 101, CHEMMAT 121) except for those ending in G.
    Courses with Very Limited Enrolment Availability
    • Nursing* (note courses generally commence before the official start of semester)
    • Psychology and Biological Science.
    • Courses showing the letter “G” – e.g. PHYSICS 107G.
    • 700 level Finance and Accounting courses.

      We recommend that you have a second choice option for each course with limited enrolment availability. Students from these areas must apply early, in particular for Semester Two.

      *Nursing is only available to undergraduate students coming through special arrangements with the Auckland School of Nursing.

    Postgraduate courses
    • Students who hold the equivalent of a New Zealand undergraduate degree may be able to take postgraduate courses if course prerequisites are met and accepted by the faculty.
    • The exchange programme is restricted to coursework only and does not include thesis writing and supervision.
    • Students who wish to take a full-year course load at postgraduate level are advised to apply as an international student to the University of Auckland for a one-year postgraduate programme.
    Courses with Additional Application Requirements
    • Many courses in Fine Arts, Architecture and Music require submission of supplementary information such as a portfolio or DVD audition.
    • For language courses students must complete a Language Ability Declaration to ensure that they are placed at an appropriate level.
    • Places are guaranteed as long as you apply by the deadline.
    • All enrolled international students are required to have appropriate health and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. The University of Auckland’s preferred insurance policy for international students is Studentsafe-University. Please refer to Studentsafe University policy wording for full terms and conditions:
    • The Studentsafe insurance fee will be charged to students account automatically upon enrolment. The Studentsafe University insurance fee must be paid unless the University of Auckland approves the use of an alternative insurance provider.
    • Students who have an approved alternative insurance policy may apply for the insurance charge to be waived. Please see the University of Auckland website for a list of approved alternative policies. Insurance waiver applications must be received before the second Friday of the semester.
    • Studentsafe-University insurance cover starts 16 days prior to programme start date and ends on a student’s arrival back in their country of origin, following completion of their course of study; or on the expiry of their current student visa, whichever is earlier.

      Australian citizens and residents
    • Due to the Reciprocal Health Care Agreement between New Zealand and Australia, it is not mandatory for students with Australian citizenship or residency to be covered by the Studentsafe-University insurance policy.
    • However, we strongly advise these students to have appropriate health and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand as medical treatment often incurs a charge.
      For more information on the reciprocal agreement with Australia please refer to eligibility-publicly-funded-health-services/reciprocal-healthagreements
    Estimated Fees for Health and Travel Insurance
    • 2017 Studentsafe-University premium per semester: Approx. NZ$300
    • 2017 Studentsafe-University premium full year: Approx. NZ$600
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • For a breakdown of estimated costs please see the University of Auckland factsheet below.


    Moscow State University

    University Name
    • Moscow State University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • First Semester: September - December
    • Second Semester: January - June
    Application Process
    • Trinity College has a student exchange with Moscow State University. The exchange is available to all undergraduate full degree Trinity students and there are a limited number of places. The exchange is for a full academic year and it is generally taken Off-Books.
    • The only requirement currently in place is a good command of the Russian language.
    • Academic criteria for this exchange have been drawn up by the Russian Department and can be found here.
    • Information on the application for this exchange can be found here.
    • If you are interested in applying to Moscow State University the application form is available here.
    • Please enquire for more details by emailing
    Language of Instruction
    • Russian. There are few courses taught through English, so proficiency in Russian is required.
    • On-campus accommodation is guaranteed.
    Meal Plans
    • Students living on-campus have access to many subsidised cafeterias on campus. There is also a café and a shop on the campus grounds.
    • It is compulsory to take out insurance for your stay. Make sure to bring a printed copy of it with you to Moscow.


    National University of Singapore

    University Name
    • National University of Singapore
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • First Semester: August – December
    • Second Semester: January – May
    Part Year Study
    • NUS can accept full-year or part-year students and they encourage part-year study as there are more modules and on-campus accommodation available in semester 2 (spring semester) in NUS.
    • Some TCD departments do not allow part-year exchanges so this will only be an option for some students.
    Application Process Additional Information
    • NUS has 16 faculties and schools that are spread across three campus locations in Singapore – Kent Ridge, Bukit Timah and Outram.
    • Disabililty
      NUS does not have a Disability Support Office, however they have a University Health Center (UHC) which would assess a declared medical condition and provide the necessary assistance. However not all required assistance can be provided due to the lack of resources, relevant expertise and/or appropriate medication which a student may have had in their home country.
    • For more information on the exchange please see the NUS Factsheet.
    Language of Instruction
    • All classes in NUS are conducted in English except for foreign language classes.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • A programme leading to a 3 year Bachelor’s degree requires a minimum of 120 modular credits (MCs). As such, the usual load for NUS students is 16 to 20 MCs per semester, where 1 MC is equal to 2.5 hours of study and preparation per week. A 4-MC module requires 10 hours of work a week, including lectures, tutorials, laboratory sessions, assignments, and independent or group study.
    • Exchange students are required to read a minimum of 12 modular credits (MCs) per semester (approximately 3 modules) and no more than 20 MCs (approximately 5 modules), regardless of whether these modules are set to audit* or examinable.
    • Students are encouraged to take modules for sufficient number of credits (not in excess), as required by their home university. Please take note that a 4-MC module requires 10 hours of work a week.
    • More details at:

    • * All modules secured at the point of offer are set to examinable by default. Exchange students have to seek the permission from their Home University before they can set an examinable module to audit. Modules set to audit might not be allowed for credit transfer back at the Home University. Some modules cannot be set to audit. For modules set to audit, student can attend lectures and will not be allowed to sit for examinations. Participation in other practical components (e.g. tutorials, laboratory work, and fieldwork) will be at the discretion of the respective academic faculty/ department.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • For a list of modules available to Exchange students, please see the Modules for Exchange Students section on the following website:
    • Only the following Faculties and Schools at NUS are open to exchange students – Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Law (only for Law major students), Faculty of Science, School of Design and Environment and School of Computing.
    • Approval of modules is given by the respective NUS Faculties/ Schools based on the following key factors:
    1. Fulfilment of modules’ pre-requisites;
    2. Availability of the modules;
    3. Class and Examination timetabling
    Restrictions to Study

    • Business and Economics
      This exchange is not open to Business or Economics students.
      Modules offered by NUS Business School and by the Department of Economics are extremely popular, over-subscribed and cannot be guaranteed. Students must be majoring in Business or Economics at their home university in order to be considered eligible for Business or Economics modules and even then students are not guaranteed a place in the modules. As such, NUS recommends that students who require Business or Economics modules are not nominated for this exchange.
    • Law
      This exchange is currently open to a maximum of one full year Law student per academic year.

    • This exchange is suited to students who can be flexible with the modules they take while at NUS. Before applying for this exchange please check with your departmental coordinator to find out if you will have some flexibility in choosing modules while you are abroad.

    • NUS does not guarantee that exchange students will get the modules that they need to fulfil their degree requirements. Therefore it is important that TCD students applying to NUS can be flexible with their module selection.

    • Due to shortage of on-campus accommodation at NUS, exchange students are NOT guaranteed on-campus accommodation. NUS receives more exchange students in Semester 1 (August to December); therefore it is more difficult to secure on-campus accommodation in Semester 1.
      Prospective students who are able to come on exchange in Semester 2 are strongly encouraged to do so.
    Insurance Estimated Costs of Living
    • Please see the NUS factsheet for a monthly breakdown of estimated living expenses.

    Singapore Management University

    University Name
    • Singapore Management University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Fall Term/Term 1: late August to early December
    • Spring Term/Term 2: early January to late April.
    Application Process Additional Information Language of Instruction
    • The language of instruction at SMU is English (except language courses).
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Exchange students are strongly encouraged to enrol for a maximum course load of 4 SMU credits per semester. The minimum course load of 2 SMU credits per semester remains unchanged. The maximum (non-negotiable) workload per semester is 5 SMU credits. Each full-credit course at SMU carries a weightage of 1 credit. It consists of 3 contact hours per week over a period of 13 teaching weeks (i.e. 39 contact hours). A half-credit course has a total of 21 contact hours per term.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • A list of courses open to exchange students will be sent via email 6-8 weeks before the start of the semester. Exchange students should also note that certain elective courses have pre-requisites for enrolment.
    Restrictions to Study
    • This exchange is currently only open to Business and Economics students.
    • Economics students should note that it is not suitable for single honour Economics; the Economics Department only recommends it for joint honours Business and Economics students.
    • This exchange may be extended to students from other departments in the future.
    • Important: Places in courses are limited and students bid for them so it is essential to discuss this with your Departmental Coordinator to check that they are happy for you to proceed on this basis.
    • Postgraduate courses are not open to exchange students.
    Accommodation Insurance
    • It is compulsory for all incoming exchange student to purchase the student personal accident policy and medical insurance as recommended by SMU.
    • Cost for this insurance is included as part of the miscellaneous fees. Insurance details can be found via the following link:
    • Please consult your insurance agent in your home country for additional insurance coverage.
    Estimated Costs of Living

    United States of America

    Barnard College

    University Name
    • Barnard College
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Students going to Barnard College may only go for the Spring semester ie. Hilary Term. Barnard will not admit exchange students for a full academic year. Some departments in Trinity will not allow students to do a semester-long exchange so please check this with your department.
    • Student arrival and housing check-in: January
    • Student departure and housing check-out: May
    Application Process Additional Information
    • Barnard is an all-women's college.
    • There is a partnership between Barnard College and Columbia University which is situated beside it. Exchange students may take some classes at Columbia and may use Columbia facilities such as the library, gym, restaurants, clubs and may live in Columbia residence halls.
    • There is a fee of $1000 for all VISP students which includes orientation (housing, meals and most excursions during the week of orientation) and various services throughout the semester.
    • If you have any question please refer to the VISP FAQ:
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Your J-1 visa status requires you to take a minimum of 12 points (credits).
    • You may take more than 12 points, but keep in mind that courses at Barnard may require frequent written assignments and quizzes and therefore, may well require more time on your part.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • VISP students can take courses in a wide variety of departments while at Barnard. Ultimately, student course choices will be influenced by home department policies.
    • Please note that generally speaking, the number of a course (1000 through 4999) indicates the level of the course. Courses numbered 1000-1999 are generally less advanced that courses labeled 2000-2999, which are less advanced than courses labeled 3000-3999. Courses labeled 4000-4999 are hybrid undergraduate/masters courses.
    • Also note that generally within the ranges just described, there is no difference in level (for example, a course labeled 3900 is not necessarily more advanced than a course labeled 3002).
    • For more detail about individual course offerings, see the Columbia Course Catalogue
    Restrictions to Study

    • Business
    • While exchange students studying in Barnard may take classes in many disciplines at Columbia University, they may not take classes at Columbia's Business School (and Barnard College does not have a Business School).

    • Engineering
    • It is not possible to take Engineering courses.

    • General
    • VISP students are not eligible to take any course designated G, K, I, J U or any other letter, or any course number beginning with 6000 or higher.
    • Exchange students may not take classes at the graduate or professional schools.
    • Courses which VISP students (exchange students) are eligible to take while at Barnard include:
      Courses designated BC, C, V and W
      Courses numbered from 1000 through 4999
    Accommodation Meal Plans Insurance
    • All VISP students are required to purchase medical insurance in accordance with Barnard policy and visa regulations. This comprehensive insurance will be billed automatically to each student; the cost for medical insurance for Spring 2018 is USD$2,122.41. The insurance provides coverage from 01/08/2018 to 08/21/2018.

    Boston College

    University Name
    • Boston College
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • There will be a mandatory orientation at the beginning of each term. Orientation is usually held a few days before classes commence so plan your travel accordingly.
    • Fall Semester: late August – December
    • Spring Semester: January – May
    Application Process Additional Information Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • All international students in the US are required to maintain full-time student status for the duration of their studies in the US.
    • Undergraduate exchange students should expect to take between 12 and 15 credits (4-5 classes) per semester.
    • Graduate exchange students should expect to take between 9 and 12 credits per semester.
    • Failure to maintain full-time status will affect your legal status in the United States, so it is very important to be enrolled in the appropriate number of credits.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Strengths at Boston College: Business, Economics, English, History, Political Science, Theology, Philosophy, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Sciences.
    • For more information on the courses available please see the How to Find Courses information sheet.
    Restrictions to Study
    • Economics and Finance
    • Economics and Finance are Boston College’s largest majors. Classes in those subjects fill quickly with BC students. Prior to the beginning of the semester, exchange students will be registered for courses, and students who request Economics classes will be placed in ONE Economics class; they may register for additional classes on an "as available" basis once classes begin.
    • Exchange students who wish to take Finance classes should not plan to take classes which are considered core classes required for graduation at their home institution.

    • General
    • Exchange students should not expect to take all of their classes in one subject because Boston College will not be able to accommodate such requests. The need to take classes in a variety of subjects makes Boston College more suitable for students from a multidisciplinary course. However, in some cases it can be possible for Single Honour students to take part in this exchange but it requires creativity in terms of module selection. Eg. a Single Honour English student may find literature-related courses to complement their English degree in departments other than the English Department.

    • Undergraduate exchange students are not eligible to take graduate level classes. Students who wish to take graduate level classes must be accepted by the appropriate graduate department/school.

      *With permission, a few highly qualified students may be allowed to take classes at one of the BC graduate schools.

    • Due to the limited space in on-campus housing, most exchange students reside in off-campus accommodations such as shared houses or apartments with other BC and international students.
    • An exchange student housing lottery is held for the available on-campus rooms in May for fall and full-year students and in October for spring students.
    • Boston College’s Off-Campus Housing Services assists exchange students in finding suitable off-campus housing upon arrival in Boston.
    • Upon admission to Boston College, exchange students are automatically enrolled in the BC student medical insurance plan. Massachusetts law requires international students to have medical insurance underwritten by a U.S.-based insurance carrier.
    • All exchange students are required to be insured through the BC medical plan. Enrolment in the Boston College Medical Plan is mandatory and may not be waived. Exchange students will be billed for the BC Medical Plan.
    • For more information please see the following link:
    • All incoming exchange students are required to have the following immunizations before arrival: three Hepatitis B; 2 MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella); a Tdap within the past ten years and a completed TB questionnaire found in the acceptance materials that from the Office of International Programs which are sent after admission. In addition, students who are living in on-campus housing must have had the meningitis vaccine.

    Georgetown University

    University Name
    • Georgetown University


    Semester Dates
    • There will be a mandatory orientation at the beginning of each term. Orientation usually takes place before classes commence so plan your travel accordingly.
    • Fall Semester: Late August – December
    • Spring Semester: January - May
    Application Process Additional Information Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Students must take between 12-15 credits per semester, and may take courses in a variety of disciplines across the university. All courses must be taken for credit, and students are not eligible for research tutorials or independent studies.
    • Due to the intensive nature of classes, Georgetown University recommend that you take 12 credits unless your department requires you to take 15. Course numbers at Georgetown reflect the type of course and not what year they are normally taken; a first year student may take a 400 level class and a fourth year student may take a 100 level class. Classes numbered 001 - 99 are introductory classes; 100-299 are lecture classes that may require prerequisite knowledge; 300-499 are small to medium size departmental seminars that require prerequisite knowledge and prior coursework in the subject matter.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • To access the class schedule and course catalogue please see the following link:
    • Georgetown University are best able to accommodate students with academic interests in international relations, government, the humanities. They have a strong classics department and all of their language departments are very good.
    Restrictions to Study
    • Business:
      This exchange is not open to Business students. Economics is considered a very separate discipline from Business and Economics students may apply.
    • General Exchange students cannot take courses offered by the School of Continuing Studies or the Department of Liberal Studies.
    • Georgetown is unable to guarantee housing for all exchange students as spaces are limited. However, Georgetown will try to try award on campus housing to as many students as possible, and the Office of Global Education will assist students with their housing search if on-campus housing is not available.
    • Full Year exchange students may apply to the Global Living and Learning Community. All full year exchange students will be contacted directly about application procedures. More information on housing can be found here:
    Meal Plans
    • Students living off campus are not required to purchase a meal plan but may do so if they wish. Students living on campus in a traditional residence hall (Reynolds, McCarthy, Kennedy, etc.) who do not have access to a kitchen must purchase a meal plan. Students living in a suite or student apartment with a shared kitchen (Alumni Square, Village A, Townhouses, etc) do not need to purchase a meal plan as residents have easy access to a kitchen.
    • More information on meal plans can be found here:
    • Georgetown mandates that international students accept the University's student health insurance plan.
    • Immunizations
    • All students must submit the Immunization & Tuberculosis Screening Certificate to the Student Health Centre.
    • Students living in residence halls must show proof of meningitis vaccination.
    • For details on the insurance plan and other health check requirements please see the following link:
    Additional Information
    • Orientation
    • International Orientation is a critical component of your transition to Georgetown. Exchange students are required to attend all events and sessions during Orientation. The Immigration Document Review and the Immigration Compliance Session will be your first formal immigration responsibilities. Attendance at Orientation and completion of the online Immigration Document Review form are mandatory for all students in order to remain in legal status.

    New York University

    University Name
    • New York University
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • There will be a mandatory orientation at the beginning of each term. Orientation is held a few days before classes commence so plan your travel accordingly.
    • Fall Semester: September – December
    • January – May
    Application Process Additional Information
    • For more information on this exchange with NYU, please see the NYU Factsheet
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Students who participate in the international exchange program must register for a minimum of 12 credits or maximum of 18 credits of coursework during each semester at NYU to be considered full-time.
    • Most courses in the College of Arts and Science and the Graduate School of Arts and Science are 4 credit courses and meet approximately 3-4 hours per week. The standard credit rating of courses in other schools may vary. Across the university, courses may range from 1-8 credits. Please consult the relevant school course listings.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Due to the large number of NYU students who study off-campus during the Spring term, NYU are better able to accommodate exchange student requests (both in terms of courses and housing) in the Spring semesters. While NYU does their best to ensure that exchange students at NYU are given priority access to housing and, to some degree, courses, please note there is greater flexibility during the Spring semester.
    • For registration details and a list of courses that are currently being offered at NYU, please see the following link:
    Restrictions to Study
    • Business, Engineering
      This exchange is not open to students of Business or Engineering. The Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Polytechnic School of Engineering and the School of Continuing & Professional Studies do not participate in the NYU International Exchange Program.

    • The following NYU Schools/Faculties are open to undergraduate exchange students:
    • College of Arts and Science
    • Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development
    • Silver School of Social Work
    • Tisch School of the Arts (Department of Cinema Studies and Open Arts Curriculum ONLY)
    • Gallatin School of Individualized Study
    • Exchange students have the option to apply for a room in an NYU managed residence hall and live with other NYU students, however housing is not guaranteed.
    • Residence halls offered to exchange students vary from apartment-style with shared kitchen areas to traditional hall style, although most will be placed in apartment-style housing.
    • For more information about on campus housing options, please visit
    • Exchange students may select if they are interested in living on campus in their exchange program application; they also have another opportunity to indicate interest in housing after acceptance. An online housing application is available to students after they are accepted into the exchange program.
    • If students choose to live off-campus, the Off-campus Housing Office provides information on apartments available for rental in New York City and the surrounding area.
    Meal Plans
    • The requirement for purchasing a meal plan depends on which hall a student is living in. Many international exchange students have been housed in locations that did not require a meal plan but occasionally students will be placed in housing that does require them to purchase a meal plan.
    • Students living in apartment style housing or off-campus also have the option to have meal plans. There are twelve different dining facilities where meal plans can be used, including one kosher café and five traditional buffet dining halls.
    • There are eleven different meal plans available, ranging in price from $1,335-$2,800 per semester.
    • For more information on meal plans please visit
    • A specific NYU health insurance policy is required.
    • Exchange students are automatically enrolled in the NYU Comprehensive Plan.
    • Students can choose to downgrade to the NYU Basic Plan by completing an online form.
    • For more information visit
    • If a student already has medical insurance that offers equivalent or greater coverage than that required by NYU, the student may request to waive the Comprehensive fee online
    • To avoid being obligated to pay for two health insurance plans, please do not purchase another health insurance plan before it is approved. Your waiver will not be processed until Student Health Insurance Services confirms that your insurance plan meets the University’s requirements. Students will be asked to submit a copy of their insurance identification card and insurance policy, translated into English, for evaluation before the waiver can be approved. Before students purchase an insurance plan that may be unacceptable for waiving, they should follow the instructions for waiving the health insurance here:
    Estimated Costs of Living

    University of California

    University Name
    • University of California
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • An academic year at UCB and UCM comprises two terms (semesters - each 15 weeks of instruction):
      Fall semester (August - December)
      Spring semester (January - May)
    • All other UC campuses have three terms (quarters - each 10 weeks of instruction):
      Fall quarter (September - December)
      Winter quarter (January - March)
      Spring quarter (April - June).
    Application Process Additional Information
    • One application covers all University of California campuses.
    • If you wish to apply for the University of California you should list it as ONE of your preferences on your Non-EU College-wide Exchange application form and you should not list any particular campus.
    • The students who are ultimately nominated for the University of California exchange will be given the opportunity to apply for a specific campus when they are filling in the University of California’s application form at a later stage. They will be asked to list their top three preferences of campus and the University of California will decide which campus to place them at. Students must be willing to attend any UC campus where coursework in their area of interest is offered. UC would like you to be advised that they reserve the right to direct exchange applications to a campus other than your first choice and that coursework in certain impacted fields may be limited by considerations of capacity.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Full-time enrolment (12 - 13 units) as defined by the host UC or college/school is required of both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens each term. Most UC students enrol in 14 - 17 units per term. Some reciprocal exchange students, particularly those whose first language is not English, may consider limiting their first-term enrolment to the minimum number of units required by their UC college or department. Communicate with your home university advisor to ensure that you also comply with your home university’s enrolment requirements while on UC exchange.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • UC students typically take two or three courses in their major department each term because the workload can be intense. Reciprocal exchange students may also enrol in general education courses in other departments. Do not, however, expect to enrol in a full schedule of courses only in your host department. Consider taking some general courses of interest to you.

    • Undergraduate Courses
      Lower-division courses: Courses numbered 1–99 are introductory and are often taken by UC students in their first two years of study. They are often very popular and may not have class space available.
      Upper-division courses: Courses numbered 100–199 are usually taken by UC students in their last two years of study. You must have completed the prerequisites or their equivalent at your home university for the courses you select.

    • Graduate Courses:
      Courses numbered 200 and above are graduate-level classes. Undergraduate reciprocal exchange students may enrol in graduate courses only if they receive the UC instructor’s permission to enrol. Some departments do not allow undergraduates to enrol in graduate courses.

    • Part Year Study
      Though the academic year is divided into quarters or semesters, course scheduling and registration are geared to full-year students.

      Many courses, particularly in the sciences, are taught in sequential order, with “part A” offered in the fall and “part B” offered in the second term. Not all courses are offered each term or each academic year.

      Students attending only one term may be at a disadvantage in registration as they will be registering much later than regular UC students. Registration for courses opens during the previous term. One-term students will not have two or three opportunities to register during the year, and they risk not being able to schedule coursework needed during a single term of attendance. Advanced undergraduates who plan enrolment in a graduate course may find it easier to receive the instructor’s consent in their second or third term of attendance. In addition, students who plan to do an independent study will find it easier to arrange for subsequent terms if they are already at their host campus. Short-term students may also find that locating housing for just a few months is difficult.

    • For more information please refer to the Academics section in the Student Guide

    Restrictions to Study
    • Some majors have restricted enrolment or are not open to exchange students.
    • Before you apply, it is important to review the UC Undergraduate Majors table and the Undergraduate Impacted Majors table.
    • This information will help you determine if your major is offered at a particular UC campus.
    • Students applying to impacted majors, such as business, economics, engineering, psychology, biology, etc., should review the Undergraduate Impacted Majors table for campus-specific information and the information on prerequisites to see whether they meet prerequisites to study in that major at UC.
    • In general, however, having the academic preparation for the courses a student is interested in taking would apply for all majors. You can refer to the “Determine if you have the prerequisite courses for your major” section of the Undergraduate Application Instructions.
    • Students should refer to prerequisites for selected majors
    • Some majors at UC are taught only at the graduate level in what are called professional schools. Examples of these majors are education, medicine, veterinary medicine, law, management, information management, and journalism. Undergraduate Reciprocal Exchange students generally cannot enrol in professional schools.

    • BESS/Business/Economics and Engineering students may participate in this exchange but should be aware that we cannot nominate many students from these disciplines for the UC exchange. As there is extremely high demand for courses in these disciplines at the University of California, they require that participation from BESS, Business, Economics and Engineering students be limited to no more than 15% of any nominated cohort.

    • University-Owned Residence Halls & Apartments:
    • UC cannot guarantee university-owned housing to UCEAP reciprocal exchange students or regularly enrolled UC students. Only first-year students are guaranteed housing. All university-owned housing assignments are subject to available space and you may not be assigned to university-owned housing.
    • If necessary, you must be willing to arrive before the start of the term to look for housing in the community. Visa regulations allow you to arrive no more than 30 days before the start of the term.
    • Many campuses offer special housing for international students. Check your host university housing website to see if this type is available.
    • University-owned apartments at many UC campuses may be available on or off campus. They may have kitchens and offer meal plans through the campus.

    • Short-Term Students:
      University-owned housing contracts are usually for the entire academic year and campus housing may not be available to short-term students. When applying for housing, ask about your host campus housing policy for short-term students. There may be a cancelation fee for less than full-year participation. Read your housing contract carefully. Landlords may not want to rent to a student attending less than a full year. A sublease arrangement or a room in a house off campus may be your best option.

    • Community Housing Options:
    • Most students who live off campus in non-university-owned housing share rooms in apartments with other students. Kitchens in rental housing are typically equipped with appliances (stove, cook-top, refrigerator). Rentals near campus may or may not be furnished, but students can furnish their apartments inexpensively (see the Money Matters chapter of this guide). Move-in costs can be high, since you will be expected to pay the equivalent of the first month’s rent, the last month’s rent, and a security deposit before you move in. Utilities, such as gas, electricity, water, and trash may or may not be included in your monthly rent.
    • Finding your own apartment can be a real challenge. Many exchange students find it more convenient to rent a room in a student apartment. You may be asked to provide references, a Social Security number (SSN) and proof of your finances, and have a U.S. sponsor to co-sign your lease agreement.
    • Your campus’ Community Housing Office can provide information about rental resources and advice about your rights and obligations as a renter. They cannot, however, find housing for you or guarantee that you will find an apartment. (See the UCEAP Pre-Arrival Instructions for campus-specific links to community housing pages.)
    • Co-Operative Housing (“Co-Op”) is among the least expensive housing options. Residents are expected to help with house chores and meal preparation. Co-op housing may vary in quality and is as efficiently run and clean as its inhabitants. As co-operative living requires student participation in various house activities, it may not be appropriate for all students. Students may find smaller co-op houses quieter and cleaner, while larger co-ops provide opportunities for meeting more students.
    • Medical treatment in the U.S. can be very expensive. You are required to have health insurance and automatically will be enrolled in the host UC campus insurance plan. The cost of insurance is applied to your student billing account. Insurance coverage and costs vary by campus. Visit the UCEAP Reciprocal Exchanges Pre-Arrival Instructions for direct links to individual UC campus insurance information and for immunization requirements.
    • For more information on travel insurance, health insurance waivers and supplemental insurance please see the Health Services & Health Insurance section in the Student Guide
    Estimated Costs of Living Orientation
    • Before the start of your first term, your host UC campus holds an orientation session to provide you with information about enrolment, visa issues, safety and services available on campus. Attendance is required. Your host college or department (or the Graduate Division, in the case of graduate students) may also hold an orientation.
    • Visit the Pre-Arrival Instructions page for your host UC campus to find about dates and times of orientation sessions.

    University of Chicago

    University Name
    • University of Chicago
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Summer Quarter: June – September
    • Autumn Quarter: September – December
    • Winter Quarter: January – March
    • Spring Quarter: March – June
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • The University of Chicago advises that three courses per quarter is considered a full-time load, and is the registration limit but as always, students should check with their Trinity departmental coordinator to find out what their minimum required course load is.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    Restrictions to Study
    • Business and Engineering
      This exchange is not open to Business students or Engineering students. Business is not an undergraduate subject at the University of Chicago and Engineering is not offered at any level.

    • Economics A word of caution for students interested in studying economics: Economics at Chicago is essentially a branch of mathematics. Virtually all the courses are severely quantitative, and even the introductory sequence of courses requires that students have already completed a rigorous calculus sequence. Upper-level offerings in the economics major often require that students have finished part of the introductory economics sequence, along with a full year of calculus (economics majors are also required to take two additional mathematics courses beyond calculus), before they can take such courses. Students whose transcripts lack a full year of calculus (mathematics is not the equivalent of calculus at Chicago), will need to sit for a demanding calculus placement examination upon arrival in the autumn. Performance on that test will help determine what courses will be available to them. It is certainly possible that students will not be able to enrol in economics courses – except for introductory micro and macro offerings that dispense with the calculus prerequisite – during their stay in Chicago. Students, therefore, should come prepared to take classes in other disciplines besides economics.
    • Housing is not guaranteed so interested students are encouraged to apply early.
    • Housing in I-House (located on campus) is an option:
    Estimated Expenses Meal Plans Insurance
    • Non-Degree Visiting Students must meet the health insurance requirements of the University and can either purchase the University Student Health Insurance Plan (USHIP) or another plan that meets the same requirements. For information on those requirements, see the Comparable Coverage Checklist.
    • NDVS in J-1 status must also meet the federally required health insurance. Not carrying this level of health insurance constitutes a violation of J-1 status and could result in the termination of your J-1 status.
    • If you wish to opt out of (waive) the University's Student Health Insurance Plan, you must hold an insurance policy meeting the requirements in the Comparable Coverage Checklist linked above.

    University of Massachusetts Amherst

    University Name
    • University of Massachusetts Amherst
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Fall Semester: September – December
    • Spring Semester: January – May
    Application Process
    • Please see Application Information in the UG Factsheet
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Undergraduate exchange students MUST enrol in a minimum of 12 credits per semester.
    • The nationally recognized standard, the Federal Credit Hour Standard, defines a three-credit course as three fifty-minute classes per week over a fifteen-week semester (including final exam week).
    • This standard assumes that each credit hour generates two hours of assigned work for every hour of in-class contact. Thus, the guiding rule is 45 hours of work per semester for each unit of credit.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Students can browse course offerings by semester without a UMass NetID by visiting and clicking “Search Classes/Catalog” under the heading Catalogs & Schedules.

    • Course Number System
    • 100-199 – Lower Division Undergraduate – Freshman (first year) level
    • 200-299 – Lower Division Undergraduate – Sophomore (second year) level
    • 300-399 - Upper Division Undergraduate – Junior (third year) level
    • 400-499 - Upper Division Undergraduate – Senior (fourth year) level Instructor

    • Permission may be required:
    • 500 - 599 Combined graduate/undergraduate
      Exchange students should not expect to have access to these courses.

    • Undergraduate exchange students do NOT have access:
    • 600 - 699 Master's or first-year graduate
    • 700 - 899 Doctoral or advanced graduate
    Restrictions to Study
    • No courses are guaranteed.
    • Undergraduate students do not have access to graduate level courses (500 and above).

    • Business
      This exchange is not open to Business students. There are some restrictions in the upper level management/accounting/finance courses. In the School of Management some class capacities are small and classes are often over-subscribed.

    • General
    • Students should know that it can be difficult to get into some classes, especially in certain departments (such as Management, English, Journalism and Psychology). Exchange students cannot take courses in Nursing, Continuing & Professional Education or enrol in independent study courses.
    • Some departments/courses such as Economics, Engineering and Communications; have limited availability in certain upper level courses.
    • Art, Dance, Music, Nursing and Computer Science are closed to exchange students.
    • English Writing 112, courses that fulfil the “UMass Junior Year Writing Requirement,” and courses that fulfil the “Integrative Experience Requirement” are closed to exchange students.

      UMass is suited to exchange students who can be flexible in their course selections as students may not get the courses they want/need. UMass would like all prospective exchange students to be aware that acceptance into the exchange program does not guarantee entry into desired courses. In some cases the possibility of enrolment won't be known until late April or later. There are some courses that are not offered each semester, some which will be filled by UMass Majors and others for which they may not meet the eligibility requirements in order to enrol.

      Before applying for this exchange please check with your departmental coordinator to find out if you will have some flexibility in choosing modules while you are abroad.

    Accommodation Meal Plans
    • UMass Dining, rated #1 in the US in 2016 by the Princeton Review, is a premier program that is committed to providing healthy, flavourful, world cuisine using freshly prepared, sustainable ingredients. You can find UMass Dining at every corner of campus. With four dining commons, eighteen retail cafes, Kosher and Halal options, two food trucks, a delivery service, the bakeshop, UMass Catering, concessions, and the University Club, UMass Dining is ready to welcome you with open arms.
    • All students living in residential housing (except North Apartments) are required to have a meal plan. Information about the various types of meal plan options here:
    • The U.S. Federal and Massachusetts State governments require that all F-1 and J-1 visa holders have health coverage. In compliance with Massachusetts insurance requirements, students are not allowed to use insurance from a non-U.S. insurance company.
    • All full-time enrolled students will automatically be enrolled in the Student Health Benefit Plan (SHBP) in order to meet the State’s insurance requirements and are not eligible to waive any part of the SHBP unless they qualify for a waiver.
    • Massachusetts law requires that college students have certain immunizations before coming to school, and submit proof of completion. The following link provides information on immunization requirements here.
    • UMass Amherst's New Student Immunization Program (NSIP) reviews students’ immunization records, contacts those with incomplete information, and helps students get missing immunizations.
    • For more information please see the following link:
    Estimated Costs of Living Student Orientation
    • Please keep in mind that Student Orientation is mandatory, so make travel arrangements accordingly.

    University of Wisconsin – Madison

    University Name
    • University of Wisconsin – Madison
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • There will be a mandatory orientation a week before classes begin, and all incoming exchange students are required to attend the Exchange and Visiting Student Orientation.
    • Fall Semester: (beginning of) September – (late) December
    • Spring Semester: (mid) January – (mid) May
    Application Process Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Most courses are 3 or 4 credits, though UW-Madison offers courses of many different credit amounts. While you are at UW-Madison, you must maintain full-time student status.
    • A full-time undergraduate (bachelor's level) course load is 12-18 credits. Full-time graduate (postgraduate) students must enrol in 8-12 credits.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • With the exception of the below-mentioned restrictions, exchange students can enrol in any courses or programs at UW-Madison for which they are qualified (have completed the course pre-requisites) and there is space available in the course.
    • Students are advised to register for courses as soon after their registration date and time as possible; the longer students wait to register, the more courses they will find to be "closed" or "full".
    • Exchange students can browse course listings in the Class Search and Course Guide/
    • You will be sent an email from the Office of the Registrar once you are officially accepted on the exchange program, which will contain an invitation to enrol in courses and a date to enrol.
    • Your enrolment date will be several months before the start of the semester. You will be able to enrol in coursework any time after this date and time, up until the "add course deadline", which is a short time after the beginning of the semester.
    • If you plan to take courses with pre-requisites, you will need to receive authorization from the instructor or the department. The easiest way to do this is through email.

      The number assigned to a course gives an indication of the level of difficulty and indicates for whom the course is intended.

    • Courses numbered under 300 (100-299) are undergraduate-level courses.
    • Courses in the 300-699 range may be taken for credit by both undergraduate and graduate students.
    • Courses in the 300-499 range are generally considered intermediate level.
    • Courses in the 500-699 range are generally considered advanced level.
    • Graduate students taking courses numbered 300-699 are expected to do graduate-level work, though they are enrolled in an undergraduate level course.
    • Courses in the 700-999 range are open only to graduate students.
    • The college is particularly strong in Biological and Social Sciences.

    Restrictions to Study
    • Business Courses:
      Students will not receive priority enrolment for courses in the Wisconsin School of Business. They may have to wait until after the regular enrolment period is complete or even until they arrive in Madison to enrol in these courses. Many courses may be full by the time exchange students can enrol. Exchange students should not assume they can enrol in business when making decisions about whether to attend the UW-Madison exchange program.
    • There is no guarantee that students will be accommodated. If however, if the student’s application is completed on time it is likely that they will be accommodated. For more information, please see the fo0llowing link:
    Meal Plans
    • All University residence hall students have access to University residence hall dining rooms. The food service is paid for through a debit card-like system, so no meal plan is required. Many halls also have a common kitchen for cooking occasional meals on your own.
    • All international students, including exchange applicants, are required to purchase the UW-Madison Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). Information and costs of this insurance plan can be found online:
    • Students can enrol online or visit the SHIP office upon arrival in Madison.

    University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

    University Name
    • University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • There will be a mandatory orientation at the beginning of each term, at UNC it is usually the day before classes begin. Please keep this in mind and plan your travel accordingly.
    • Fall Semester: August – December
    • Spring Semester: January – May
    Application Process
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • 12 credit hour minimum for Undergraduates (4 courses)
    • 9 credit hour minimum for Graduate Students (3 courses)
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Course Numbering System
    • 50-099 First Year Seminars [not available to exchange students]
    • 100-199 Introductory level undergraduate courses [undergraduate students only]
    • 200-399 Undergraduate courses deemed to be above the introductory level [undergraduate students only]
    • 400-699 Courses open to undergraduates and graduate students [undergraduate and graduate students]
    • 700-999 Graduate courses [available only to graduate exchange students, see above]
    • With the exception of the important distinction between introductory and non-introductory courses, students generally should not assume that courses have been arranged in ascending order of difficulty or specialization (i.e., ENGL 420 is not necessarily more difficult than ENGL 340). The logic behind any departmental numbering scheme will be specific to that department.

    • Strengths at UNC: Natural Science, Social Science, Liberal Arts and Humanities

      Exchange students can only take courses in the departments located within the College of Arts and Sciences. A complete list of the departments can be found below:

    • Aerospace Studies (Air Force ROTC)
    • African and Afro-American Studies
    • American Studies
    • Anthropology
    • Applied Sciences and Engineering
    • Archaeology
    • Art
    • Asian Studies
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • City and Regional Planning
    • Classics
    • Communication Studies
    • Computer Science
    • Dramatic Art
    • Economics
    • English and Comparative Literature
    • Environment & Ecology
    • Exercise and Sport Science
    • European Studies, Contemporary
    • Geography
    • Geological Sciences
    • Germanic Languages and Literatures
    • History
    • International and Area Studies
    • Latin American Studies
    • Linguistics
    • Marine Sciences
    • Mathematics
    • Music
    • Peace, War, and Defence
    • Philosophy
    • Physics and Astronomy
    • Political Science
    • Psychology
    • Public Policy
    • Religious Studies
    • Romance Languages and Literatures
    • Russian and East European Studies
    • Slavic Languages and Literatures
    • Sociology
    • Statistics and Operations Research
    • Women's Studies
    Restrictions to Study
    • TCD students may only enrol in undergraduate courses (courses numbered 100-699) in the School of Arts and Sciences.
    • Exchange students are not permitted to take classes at UNC’s professional schools, which include the Business School, the School of Journalism, the School of Law, the School of Nursing, the School of Medicine, the School of Dentistry, the School of Social Work, and the School of Public Health, School of Pharmacy, School of Information and Library Science, School of Education and School of Pharmacy.
    • Science: This exchange is not suited to Science students because it is recommended that students do not take more than three Science modules per semester due to the intensity of the modules. As Science modules at UNC are predominantly worth three credits, this leaves students with a credit shortfall unless they can supplement their credit load with modules from disciplines outside of Science.
    • Part year study is not permitted
    Accommodation Meal Plans
    • Meal plans are available for students residing both on and off campus.
    • For more information on the meal plans available please see the following link:
    • As an incoming exchange student here at UNC-Chapel Hill, you are required to have health insurance during your semester(s) on exchange. This means that you are eligible for UNC-Chapel Hill Student Medical Insurance. As health insurance coverage is mandatory for all students attending UNC-Chapel Hill, you will automatically be enrolled in and billed for this student plan. It is billed directly to your student account, which you will be required to pay for prior to your departure.
    • it is recommended you opt for the UNC Student Health Insurance during your exchange period, but if you have insurance you wish to bring with you, you may opt-out of the mandatory insurance by providing information about your outside medical insurance coverage. However you should start the process of waiving out of the mandatory insurance until after your are accepted.
    • Students will be responsible for providing proof of immunizations upon their arrival to campus and no later than 30 days from the start of classes. Please see for information on required immunizations. Step-by-step instructions on how to complete the Medical History and Immunization Forms will be available to exchange students post-acceptance.

    University of Notre Dame

    University Name
    • University of Notre Dame
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • There will be a mandatory orientation at the beginning of each term. Orientation is usually held a few days before classes begin, so please keep that in mind and plan your travel accordingly.
    • Fall Semester: August – December
    • Spring Semester: January – May
    Application Process
    • Please see the factsheet above for admission and application requirements.
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Academic load: Student are required to maintain a full course of study of at least 12 but not to exceed 18 credit hours.
    • Class hours/week equivalent to 1 credit hour: 50 minutes per week per credit
    • Numbers of weeks per semester: 16
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Course listings are available on the website of the Office of the Registrar.
    • Areas of study available to exchange students:
      College of Arts & Letters
      College of Science
      College of Engineering
      School of Architecture
    • Strengths at University of Notre Dame: Arts & Letters, Hard science, Engineering

    Restrictions to Study
    • Business:
      This exchange is not open to Business students as currently, Notre Dame is unable to accept students into the Mendoza College of Business.
    • Computer Science:
      This exchange is not open to Computer Science students as currently, Notre Dame cannot guarantee the availability of suitable courses. It is also likely to be unsuitable for Computer Engineering students but this has yet to be confirmed.
    • Aero/Mechanical Engineering may not be studied by exchange students at Notre Dame.
    • All undergraduate exchange students are required to live in one of the dorms on campus. For more information, please visit the website of the Office of Housing.
    Meal Plans Insurance
    • Students are required to enrol in the University’s health insurance plan.
    • Before registration, students must submit a “Completed History and Physical Form” to the Health Centre. Required Vaccinations by the State of Indiana for college students include those listed under ‘A’ and either ‘B’ OR ‘C’ below:

    • A: Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis: Within the last 10 years
      Meningococcal Vaccine-Quadrivalent: All incoming students under age 21 and living on campus; 1 dose after age 16
    • B: Rubeola (Hard Measles): Must have had two measles vaccines, one after the first birthday, and one at least 28 days after the first one.
      Mumps: Two vaccinations AND Rubella (German Measles): One vaccination
    • C: MMR: Must have two doses, the first after age one, and the second at least 28 days after the first.

      Highly Recommended Immunizations:

    • Hepatitis B
    • Varicella (Chicken Pox)

    Estimated Costs of Living
    • Please see the University Notre Dame Factsheet.

    University of Pennsylvania

    University Name
    • University of Pennsylvania
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • There will be a mandatory orientation at the beginning of each term. Orientation is usually held a few days before classes commence so please plan your travel accordingly.
    • Fall Semester: September – December
    • Spring Semester: January – May
    Additional Material
    • For more information please see the website
    Application Process Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Exchange students must enrol in a minimum of four credit units (four courses) per semester in order to maintain full-time status at Penn.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options Restrictions to Study
    • TCD students may only enrol in undergraduate courses in the College of Arts and Sciences.
    • UPenn can only accept students whose majors at their home institution are equivalent to a major within the College of Arts and Sciences.
    • This exchange does not extend to UPenn’s other undergraduate Schools ie. the School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Wharton School (Business) or the School of Nursing.
    • Exchange students may not take any graduate classes (level 500 and above).
    Accommodation Insurance
    • The University of Pennsylvania require students to meet certain health requirements, including carrying adequate health insurance coverage and immunization against diseases. Insurance and immunization information can be completed by students using online forms.
    • Insurance Compliance
      All full time, dissertation and exchange students (in classes for one term or longer) are required to have comprehensive health insurance. The Penn Student insurance Plan (PSIP) is available for students who do not have insurance, whose plans do not provide coverage in the Philadelphia area, or whose plans do not meet our criteria for alternative insurance. Please view details here.
    • Immunization Compliance
      Information regarding requirements, access to online forms, compliance policies, vaccine prices, frequently asked questions or anything related to immunization can be found in this section. Please view details here.
    Estimated Costs of Living

    University of Southern California

    University Name
    • University of Southern California
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • There will be a mandatory orientation at the beginning of each term. Orientation is usually held a few days before classes commence so please plan your travel accordingly.
    • Fall Semester: August – December
    • Spring Semester: January – May
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • International students must be registered for a full course of study in classes that meet their degree requirements during fall and spring semesters:
    • Undergraduate students – 12 units
    • Master’s graduate students – 8 units
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Students may only take ISC courses in the Dana and David Dornsife College of Letters, Arts and Sciences and the subject areas this covers are:

      American Studies and Ethnicity, Anthropology, Archaeology, Art History, Astronomy, Biochemistry, Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Classics, Cognitive Science, Comparative Literature, Creative Writing, Earth Sciences, East Asian Area Studies, East Asian Languages and Cultures, Economics, English, Environmental Studies, French, Gender Studies, Geological Sciences, History, Human Biology, International Relations, Italian, Judaic Studies, Linguistics, Mathematics, Middle East Studies, Neuroscience, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Religion, Russian, Sociology, Spanish.

      Students must be prepared to take at least two courses in their major subject. TSM students and other students studying more than one discipline should check with their TCD Departmental Coordinators to ensure this is feasible in their own case.

      To see the schedule of classes please see the following link:

    Restrictions to Study
    • Subjects that are not open to exchange students include: Business, Cinematic Arts/Film, Engineering, Music, Fine Arts, Dramatic Arts, Architecture, Communications, Journalism.
    Accommodation Insurance
    • It is very important for international students to have health insurance during their studies in the US. The government does not provide health insurance and medical services can be extremely expensive without it. Please visit the international student section on the USC Engemann Student Health Centre website for information on the following:
    • USC Student Health Insurance
    • Immunizations & Screenings

    University of Florida

    University Name
    • University of Florida
    Website(s) Semester Dates
    • Semester 1: late August – mid-December
    • Semester 2: January – May
    Course Load (including ECT conversion)
    • Undergraduates are required to take a minimum of 12 credits per semester.
    Course Availability and Enrolment Options
    • Available courses for each semester can be seen by going to
    • All College of Liberal Arts and Sciences courses are open to Trinity students, as long as the prerequisites for your course are met. A list of majors in the College can be found here:
    • Please make sure to familiarise yourself with any existing restrictions, outlined below.
    Restrictions to Study
    • The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) is the only college open to exchange students from Trinity.
    • Business is a different college at UF, therefore Trinity students will not be able to take these majors.
    • Economics students may be able to study at UF provided they can meet all their course requirements (for Economics and for their other discipline(s) they are studying) at UF as Economics courses are available through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and may be suitable for some Economics students.
    • Students must complete an additional form due with their application if they wish to live on-campus. The on campus dorm for exchange students is Weaver Hall.
    • There are limited spots for on campus housing. Applying for on-campus housing does not guarantee a spot.
    • Costs for Weaver Hall can be found here. Rates vary per semester.
    • All off campus arrangements are to be made by the student. UF offers assistance finding off campus housing through the Off Campus Life office. Please see the Off-Campus website for more information:
    Estimated Costs of Living
    • Students are allowed to enroll in one (1) online course per semester.
    • The U.S. government requires J-1 students to prove sufficient funds for the duration of their program.
    • On the Certificate of Financial Responsibility (required document in application), students much show they have a minimum USD $1,500 per month of the program:
    1. One semester: USD $6,000
    2. Two semesters: USD $13,500
    • All UF students are required to have health insurance.
    • Students have the option of enrolling in UF’s health insurance or submitting a waiver showing alternative health insurance meets the requirement outlined by the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
    • More information can be found on the UF Health Insurance page
    • For any health insurance-related questions please contact
    Additional Information