How to Apply
Postgraduate work in Trinity College Dublin is very academically challenging and as a result the University has high academic entry requirements.
Applicants will need to hold:
• at least a 2.1 honors degree from an Irish university or equivalent result from a university in another country
• Meet the below English Language Proficiency Requirements
Some courses may require higher standards or require you to take further tests or attend an interview. More detailed requirements for each course are listed on their applicable course page at www.tcd.ie/courses
If you have questions about the specifics of the admission requirements for a given course, or about the course itself, you should contract the course coordinator directly using the contact information available on the course's page.
A guide to making an application on the my.tcd.ie application portal is available here LINK
English Language Requirements
All applicants whose first language is not English and who have not been educated through the medium of English must present one of the following qualifications in the English language:
- IELTS: (Academic version) and IELTS Indicator: Grade 6.5 overall
- TOEFL and TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition: 88 internet-based, 570 paper-based, 230 computer-based
- University of Cambridge:
Proficiency Certificate, Grade C or better (CEFR Level C1 or C2)
Advanced Certificate, Grade C or better (CEFR Level C1 or C2)
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) - PTE Academic: a minimum score of 63 to be eligible (with no section score below 59)
- Duolingo English Test: Minimum overall score of 120/160 with no section below 105, dated since January 2021.
- An award certificate with a minimum II.1 overall score from Trinity's Centre for English Language Learning and Teaching's Pre-Master's Pathway Programme.
The Pre-Master’s Pathway Programme is an academic English course for international students with conditional offers for postgraduate study at Trinity. Passing the programme means you meet Trinity’s English language requirement and can progress to your postgraduate course without retaking IELTS or any other exam.
Please also note that existing IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge and PET scores up to three years old (rather than two) will be accepted for 2020/21 applications in light of test centre closures.
For further details on these English Language Proficiency Tests, please contact the appropriate organisation directly.
An applicant whose first language is not English but who has taken a degree through the medium of English may be eligible provided they did not complete their studies more than two years prior to admission. However some courses may request applicants to present an English Language qualification under certain circumstances.