1916 ‘Leaders and Learners’ Bursary 2020 – 2021
Funded by the Department of Education and Skills for eligible students in the following Higher Education Institutions – Institute of Art, Design and Technology, Dun Laoghaire (IADT); National College of Art and Design (NCAD); Marino Institute of Education (MIE); Trinity College Dublin (TCD); and University College Dublin (UCD).
The bursary aims to provide support for economically disadvantaged students from groups traditionally underrepresented in higher education.
Eligible students must show socio-economically disadvantaged by demonstrating that one of the following applies:
1. They would be eligible for Special Rate level of SUSI grant (€24,000)
and / or
2. They would be in receipt of a Means tested payment from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social protection.
And must be from at least one of the following groups:
- Socio-economic groups that have low participation in higher education (Students would demonstrate this by either of the income options above)
- First Time Mature Students
- Students with a disability, particularly students with a physical/mobility impairment or students with a sensory disability, students who are deaf/hard of hearing and blind/visually impaired students (applicants must provide documentation to evidence disability and/or agree to register with the TCD disability service when entering college if applying under this category).
- Irish Travellers
- Entering on the basis of a further education award
- Lone parents with a DSP means tested Social Welfare payment
- Ethnic minorities (including programme refugees and persons from other ethnic minority groups lawfully present in the State who meet the definition of student in section 14 of the Student Support Act 2011 and regulation 5 of the Student Support Regulations 2017. S.I. No. 126 of 2017).
In 2020–2021, 40 bursaries of €5,000 per annum for the duration of a student’s undergraduate degree are available across the cluster. (8 per institution). Only incoming Junior Fresh will be eligible in 20/21.
Further information on the application process and procedures are available here