COVID-19 and Public International Law - Conference Recordings
International Organisations, Global Governance and the Pandemic.
In this upcoming virtual conference, hosted by Dr. Donna Lyons (Trinity College Dublin School of Law), leading experts will discuss a range of pressing issues relating to Covid-19 and global governance, including: human rights protection, distributive justice, the gendered effects of the pandemic, data infrastructures, inquiries into deaths arising out of the pandemic, the World Health Organisation, environmental regulation, and the practical implications of the pandemic on the work of international organisations. There will be an opportunity for Q & A and discussion following the presentations.
Date and Time: 12pm-4.30pm (Irish Standard Time), Wednesday, 15 July 2020 (two time slots are noted below, to accommodate speakers in the United States and Canada)
Esteemed Speakers and Running Order:
- Mr. Adam Wagner, Doughty Street Chambers, Specialist Advisor to U.K. Parliament Covid-19 Human Rights Inquiry, Visiting Professor, Goldsmiths University London.
- Dr. Alan Greene, Senior Lecturer, University of Birmingham Law School.
- Dr. Catherine O'Rourke, Director, Transitional Justice Institute, Senior Lecturer in Human Rights and International Law, Ulster University.
- Professor Shane Darcy, Professor of Law and Deputy Director, Irish Centre for Human Rights, School of Law, National University of Ireland, Galway.
- Dr. Jason Rudall, Assistant Professor of Public International Law, Leiden University.
- Dr. Lea Raible, Lecturer in Public Law, University of Glasgow School of Law.
A recording of the 1st part of the Conference can be viewed Here
- Professor Eyal Benvenisti, Whewell Professor of International Law, Director of the Lauterpacht Centre for International Law, University of Cambridge Faculty of Law.
- Professor Eric Posner, Kirkland and Ellis Distinguished Service Professor of Law, Arthur and Esther Kane Research Chair, University of Chicago Law School.
- Professor Lisa Forman, Canada Research Chair in Human Rights and Global Health Equity, Associate Professor, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto.
- Professor Sharifah Sekalala, Associate Professor, University of Warwick Law School.
- Professor Christopher McCrudden, Professor of Human Rights and Equality Law, Queen’s University Belfast School of Law, L. Bates Lea Global Professor of Law, University of Michigan Law School.
- Professor Benedict Kingsbury, Murry and Ida Becker Professor of Law, Vice Dean, Director of Institute for International Law and Justice, New York University School of Law.
- Sir Howard Morrison, KCMB, CBE, QC, Judge of the International Criminal Court Appeals Division, formerly Judge of the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia.
- Professor Juan Méndez, Professor of Human Rights Law, American University, Washington College of Law, former UN Special Rapporteur on Torture (2010-2016).
Chair: Dr. Donna Lyons, Assistant Professor, School of Law, Trinity College Dublin.
A recording of the 2nd part of the Conference can be viewed Here
Access to the Event: Please click the following link to join the virtual conference (12-4.30pm, 15 July 2020): Here. The event will be livestreamed on: Trinity Law School Facebook. For those who cannot attend on the day, a recording will be made available online. Q&A: please send your questions in advance to morganr1 at tcd.ie.
This conference was organised with financial support from the Society of Legal Scholars and the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Trinity College Dublin.