Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

Health Insurance

In order to register with the Irish Immigration Service Delivery (ISD), as all non-EU/EEA/Swiss/UK students are required to do, you must show proof of health insurance to cover any major medical care necessary during your stay. Please check with your insurance company at home that you are sufficiently insured for your period of study in Ireland. If a student chooses to use a health insurance policy from their home country, please be aware that this will only be valid for the students first 12 months. It can be used for first registration with ISD, but not with subsequent registrations. Health insurance must be purchased from an Ireland based insurance provider after your first year of study.
If students do not already have insurance cover, they may wish to insure with one of the health insurance providers in Ireland.

Below are a list of Irish insurance companies to consider:

Irish Life Health:

VHI Healthcare:

Laya Healthcare:

Study and Protect:

Trinity recommends that you have a level of insurance to cover your health needs and requirements for the duration of your studies. For example, if you have a pre-exisiting condition, please check the level of insurance cover in any new policy to ensure that it will cover this. Trinity has a specific insurance policy with Irish Life (Business Plan Hospital) that is designed for international students and which covers pre-existing conditions and the normal waiting period for cover is waived. The cost of the policy varies based on age of the applicant. Further information is available from Irish Life and ensure you mention the Trinity policy is "Business Plan Hospital": Please quote 20932 to avail of this plan -

Students from EU states should apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in their home country before departure:

All full-time registered students are eligible to use the College Health Service throughout the year. Detailed information regarding services can be accessed on the College Health Service website: The service offers on campus primary health and psychiatric care, between 10.30 a.m. and 4.40 p.m. weekdays excluding lunchtime. The Health Centre is located in House 47 on Trinity’s main campus Many services, including physician consultations and emergency clinics, are free, although some services can incur a small fee. See the Health Service website for a breakdown.