Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here How to Apply > Advice for Parents

Advice for Parents

We understand that as a parent you will have many questions about sending your student abroad for university.
On this page, you will find information about:


All first year non-EU full degree students who apply by the deadline will be offered accommodation in a Trinity residence such as Trinity Hall or at a partner private student accommodation complex.

Trinity Hall is a gated community and has 24-hour security and CCTV to ensure student safety. There are huge social benefits to living in Halls, particularly for students new to the city. A Junior Common Room (JCR) committee, including a welfare officer and an international officer, is elected each year to provide student support and coordinate regular social events for residents. All Trinity accommodation is self-catering and students have access to shared kitchen facilities where they can socialize and cook with their flatmates. In between lectures, students can also take advantage of Trinity’s on-campus restaurants and cafes, or step outside the gates to enjoy the wide range of dining options that Dublin has to offer.

Trinity Hall is well-connected to the rest of Dublin, serviced by Dublin Bus and a short walk from a stop on the Luas (tram) line. Accommodation costs vary based on room type, and can be found here. After receiving their offer of admission, students must apply separately for accommodation here. Accommodation is in high demand, so students are encouraged to apply as soon as they have accepted their place in the university.

More information on accommodation for International Students please see here

Health and Insurance

Health Insurance

In order to register with the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration service (INIS), as all non-EU/EEA students are required to do, you must show proof of health insurance to cover any major medical care necessary during your stay. Please check with your insurance company at home that you are sufficiently insured for your period of study in Ireland. If a student chooses to use a health insurance policy from their home country please be aware that this will only be valid for the students first 12 months. It can be used for first registration with Irish Immigration Service, but not with second registration. Health insurance must be purchased from an Irish based insurance provider after your first year of study.

If students do not already have insurance cover, they may wish to insure with one of the health insurance providers in Ireland.

VHI Healthcare:

Irish Life Health:

Laya Healthcare:

Study and Protect:

Students from EU states should apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in their home country before departure:

All full-time registered students are eligible to use the College Health Service throughout the year. Detailed information regarding services can be accessed on the College Health Service website: The service offers on campus primary health and psychiatric care, between 10.30 a.m. and 4.40 p.m. weekdays excluding lunchtime.

The Health Centre is located in House 47. Many services, including physician consultations and emergency clinics, are free, although some services can incur a small fee. See the Health Service website for a breakdown.

Visas & Immigrations

A comprehensive guide to all visa and immigration queries can be found here

Students Safety

Trinity considers the safety of its students to be of the utmost importance, operating 24-hour security both on campus and at Trinity Hall. Trinity is an enclosed campus; by restricting access and monitoring the perimeter gates, security guards are able to control who enters or leaves the campus late at night. In addition, mobile and foot patrols are performed at all times of the day and night, and CCTV and alarm systems are operated. More information on Trinity’s security systems can be found here:

Outside of Trinity’s walls, Dublin is kept safe by the Garda (police), who can be contacted on both emergency (112 or 999) and non-emergency lines. Dublin is a very safe city, however it is important to appreciate that it is a major capital city and as such students are advised to remain vigilant of their personal belongings. More information on the Garda can be found on their website: