Trinity College Dublin

Skip to main content.

Top Level TCD Links


am finding it difficult to settle into researching/writing my thesis/dissertation. Is there any one that can help me?

Yes. There are a number of avenues of support open to you within College. The Centre for Student Learning Development, as well as the Centre for Academic Practice and Student Learning (CAPSL) run a variety of workshops and events throughout the calendar year which cover study and organizational strategies, academic writing skills, managing examinations, presentation skills and other topics related to academic study. They also offer a range of centrally delivered workshops to support postgraduates and part-time tutors in their diverse teaching roles across the College.

I am finding it difficult to settle in at Trinity. What should I do?

Coming to University for the first time is for most people an exciting experience. Whether you are leaving home for the first time or coming back into education after several years away, starting University offers a total change of circumstance and the prospect of meeting new people and experiencing new challenges. However, as with any change of lifestyle, there are sometimes unexpected difficulties to be faced and adjustments to be made. The Postgraduate Advisory Service is here to help you deal with those situations. We will be happy to help you if you have any questions or concerns about settling into life at Trinity College. If we cannot help you, we will put you in contact with someone who can.

Back To Top

Are there childcare facilities, such as nursery, which my child can attend?

Trinity College Dublin does have an on-site Day Nursery. Established in 1969, it was the first on-site workplace nursery in Ireland. Places are at a premium and, at present, postgraduates who intend placing their child in day care are advised to explore all available options.

How do I find out more about using the Library?

Trinity College Library provides a variety of Support and Training Modules which provide all of the information you may need to use the Library's rich resources. If however you have a specific query or request, you should ask either one of the helpful staff at the issue desks, or the subject librarian in your specific field of study.

I am feeling bullied or sexually harassed. What can I do about it?

Feeling bullied, threatened, or harassed can be a frightening, stressful and isolating experience. The commitment of Trinity College to supporting the right of all members of the College community to work and study in an environment which is free from all forms of harassment, including sexual harassment and bullying is clearly outlined in its policy on Dignity and Respect (PDF, 157K). If you feel that you are being bullied or harassed, you should contact any of the following people who have been nominated as contact persons. They will advise and support you.

(From outside, dial 896 in front of the following numbers)

Orla McCarthy,

School of English;

Ext: 2924

Eugene Ratigan,

Security & Mail Services;

Ext: 3978

Karl Flynn,

Director of Buildings Office;

Ext: 2487

Elizabeth Curtis,

School of Nursing;

Ext: 3533

Immaculada Arnedillo-Sanchez,

Computer Science;

Ext: 3661

Diane Sadler,

School of English;

Ext: 1111

John Munnelly,

Buildings Office;

Ext: 2487

Jane Flanagan,


Ext: 2079

Brett Williams,

Information System Services;

Ext: 4013

Matyn Linne,

School of Natural Sciences;

Ext: 1679

Agnella Craig,

School of Medicine;

Ext: 3926

Further information on Trinity College Dublin's Dignity and Respect policy is availble here.

What kinds of supports are available for student parents?

The Student Parent Group (SPG) is a self-supporting group for any student (male or female) who is already a parent or may be about to become one. The group meets once a week in lecture term for an hour at lunch time, normally on a Tuesday. It is very informal and friendly and is intended to bring student parents together in order that they may share their experiences and lend support to one another. A light lunch consisting of sandwiches, tea or coffee and biscuits is provided by the Senior Tutor's Office in House 27.

Can I get legal advice from College?

No. Legal advice is not available to students from the University. However, should you ever need to consult a barrister or solicitor, you might want to start by attending one of the free legal advice clinics which meets fortnightly in the Arts Block.

The clinic is staffed by a VOLUNTEER solicitor or barrister who is available to discuss legal queries you might have. The service consists only of free consultation, thus allowing you to get accurate advice on the legal difficulty involved. Common areas concerned are employment and tenancy/landlord problems. The clinic also provides books for you to consult with common problems.

You may also like to discuss your particular query with a representative of any of the following;

  1. The Legal Aid Board;
  2. The Equality Authority;
  3. or The Irish Council for Civil Liberties.

Are there any supports in College for students with learning difficulties?

Yes. Academic Support Tutors are available to help with the areas of study skills and essay writing through the Disability Service. Your Disability Officer will advise you if you are eligible for Academic Support. This service offers individual tuition in generic study skills; it is not subject specific. Academic Support can provide assistance in time management, research skills, essay-writing skills, referencing and exam preparation.

Essay Support is not an editing service which can make corrections and return ‘perfect’ essays to a student. Rather, clear indications of mistakes or rule violations are given, and the actual corrections made by the student (in the case of on-paper proofreading) or at the request of the student (if working together on a computer). Students are required to be actively involved in Academic Support appointments. The student must be present with the Academic Support tutor to discuss the essay and to decide on any changes to be made. The student must create all written work and content, take responsibility for research, and provide own departmental guidelines (handbook) for referencing and style.

For practical advice refer to the following Information Sheets:

How do I register with the Disability Service?

If you require assistance for a disability or specific learning difficulty, you should register with Disability Service. The service is located in the Arts Building (Maps), Room 2054 on the entrance level, past the Lecky Library. You will then be assigned a Disability Officer who will work with you to assess the level of support required.

What proof of my disability do I need to provide to the Disability Service?

You will need to provide medical evidence of your disability, or an educational psychological report if you have a specific learning difficulty, such as Dyslexia. This report needs to detail the IQ/Index score, percentile and range when reporting scores, and the standard score, percentile and range when reporting attainment scores. Confidence intervals of 95% are also recommended. If you are unsure of what information to provide, or how to secure it, you can contact the Academic Liaison Officer (ALO) in your Department. An Academic Liaison Officer acts as a communication route in each department for issues related to students with disabilities. They circulate Learning and Education Needs Summary (LENS) reports which are produced for students registered with the Disability Service (DS). Academic Liaison officers have also have responsibility for:

  • Being a first point of information on disability issues within the ALOs School/department.
  • Making course directors, course coordinators, year coordinators etc aware of students and the dissemination of information through LENS.


Last updated 3 September 2015 (Email).