Trinity Legacies Review Working Group
Reporting directly to the Provost, the role of the TLRWG is to document the historical evidence on specific legacy issues, to seek evidence-based submissions from the College and wider community on each identified issue, and, based on the evidence collated, provide options for consideration to the relevant decision-making authority (College Board, Faculty Executive or School Executive) as is appropriate and determined by the working group. Terms of reference for the working group can be found here.
Trinity has thus far received evidence-based submissions from the public on two key historical legacy issues.
Written submissions on the future of human remains that originated in Inishbofin, Co. Galway, and are now stored in Trinity were invited to be submitted before Wednesday December 7 2022. The remains are associated with former Trinity-affiliated Professors Alfred C Haddon and Andrew F Dixon. They were removed, for research purposes and without islanders’ consent, in 1890. Evidence documents compiled by Trinity academics on this topic can be read here.The public submissions in relation to this matter may be found here.
Trinity also sought evidence-based views from the public on the name of the Berkeley Library, following a de-naming petition from students. Trinity’s main library was named in 1978 after the philosopher George Berkeley, whose history as a slave-owner has since been well documented. Evidence documents on this issue can be read here. The public submissions in relation to this matter may be found here. On 26th April 2023 Trinity made the decision to de-name the library on the basis of evidence received.
If you wish to make an evidence-based submission, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note: All submissions will be published on this website.