- Course Type: Undergraduate
- CAO Course Code: TR071
- Min Entry Points for 2012: 470* points
- Duration: 4 Year(s) Full Time
- Award: B.A.
- Course Options:
Students who wish to study Geology apply to the Science degree (TR071) and may select Geology as their specialist area for the 3rd and 4th years.
Junior Freshman (first) year prerequisite: Geology 1101
Senior Freshman (second year) prerequisite: Geology GL2205, GL2206.
For details of the first two years of the Science course, including entry requirements, see TR071: Science (common entry).
- How to apply: See how to apply
Admission RequirementsFor Admission requirements please click here
To apply to this course, click on the relevant Apply Link below
- Science, 4 Year(s) Full Time, Closing Date: 01/FEB/2014
EU ApplicantsRead the information about how to apply, then apply directly to CAO
Mature Student - Supplementary Application FormRead the information about how to apply as a mature student, then select the link below to complete the TCD Supplementary Application Form for mature students.
- Natural Sciences, 4 Year(s) Full Time, Closing Date: 30/JUN/2014
- Natural Sciences, Closing Date: 01/JUN/2014
Advanced Entry ApplicationsRead the information about how to apply for Advanced Entry, then select the link below to apply.
What is Geology?
Geology is the science of the Earth. It investigates the composition and evolution of this dynamic planet and its living organisms. It embraces the study of such diverse topics as dinosaurs, volcanoes, meteorites and earthquakes. It also deals with the origin and concentration of the materials on which our society is based.
What will you study?
For details of the topics covered in the Junior and Senior Freshman (first and second) years see TR071: Science (common entry). Fieldwork is an essential and integral part of Sophister (third and fourth year) geology.
In the Junior Sophister (third) year, a thorough grounding is provided in all major branches of geology. You will learn how each of the rocks contains information on the processes that formed them and the environment in which this took place. You will also study their response to forces in the Earth which cause them to bend, buckle and crack; the measurement of geological time; investigation of the subsurface; and the evolution of life. In addition, you will learn skills in computing and data presentation.
In the Senior Sophister (fourth) year you will take the following compulsory courses:
- Project (recent projects incorporating fieldwork have been based in various parts of Europe and also in North America)
- Geological literature and seminars
- Petroleum geology and exploration
- Economic geology
You will also select five optional subjects from a wide range covering both academic and applied areas of geology. Optional subjects include:
- Continental tectonics and landscape evolution
- Hydrogeology and groundwater quality
- Global igneous petrology
- Metamorphic petrology
- Planet formation and the early Earth
- Introduction to micropalaeontology
- Palaeobotany, palynology and organic petrology
- Laboratory project
- Radiogeneic isotope geochemistry and mass spectometry
There are opportunities for students to spend part of their Junior Sophister year abroad; we have formal agreements with Uppsala (Sweden) and Clermont-Ferrand (France), but other locations are also possible.
Recent graduates have found professional career opportunities with mineral exploration companies, civil engineering firms, geological and environmental consultancies, oil companies, organisations based in computing and information systems, and government geological surveys. There is currently a global shortage of geoscientists. Geology graduates are also highly valued in more generalised fields of employment (e.g. in the finance sector) due to their adaptability, their many transferable skills and their experience at dealing with incomplete data sets.
Did you know?
- As a student of geology, you will be trained in hands-on microscopy and undertake several field trips to geologically active areas such as Greece and Spain.
Tel: +353 1 896 1074