Skip to main content

Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin

Trinity Menu Trinity Search

You are here About > Studying abroad

Can I spend a year abroad as part of my degree?

Study Abroad

Nearly all our students spend a year abroad during their course (it is required for most courses in the Department). You can study at a university in Germany or Austria - we have links with nearly twenty in all - teach as an assistant at a school in one of those countries, or find a work placement. Whatever you choose, you are likely to enjoy this year immensely: many students find it the highlight of their degree and make lasting friendships while abroad. What's more, it's greatly valued by employers! Some idea of where Germanic Studies can lead will be found in the section After Graduation.

For details of the year abroad requirement go to