Trinity College Dublin

Skip to main content.

Top Level TCD Links

Course Material - Senior Sophister Syllabus

The SS year consists of lectures, tutorials and practicals delivered in modules, as listed below. A major component of the practical module is an independent research project, which may be carried out at a facility off-campus. A component of problem solving completes this module.

MANDATORY MODULES

All modules are mandatory.

Senior Sophister Modules

Module CH4107 (5 ECTS) Advanced Physical Chemistry II

Module CH4601 (5 ECTS) Materials Chemistry I

  • CH4022 Matter Transport in Solids
  • CH4063 Simulation Techniques in Solids

Module CH4602 (5 ECTS) Materials Chemistry II

Module PY4P03 (5 ECTS) Condensed Matter III

  • PY4P03 Condensed Matter III - Semiconductor devices and Metal Physics and Superconductivity

Module PY4P04 (5 ECTS) Nanoscience

Module PY4P06 (5 ECTS) Photonics

  • PY4P06 Photonics - Properties of Materials & Nonlinear Optics

Module PY4M07 (5 ECTS) Advanced Topics in Physics - Advanced Materials

  • PY4M07 Advanced Topics in Physics - Advanced Materials - Thin Films and Polymers

Module PY4MP1 (25 ECTS) Practical in Advanced Materials

  • PY4MP1 - This module combines a major research project with components of general problem solving in Physics and Chemistry and Materials Science and in critical analysis of current topics of research in materials science. A complete description of the project and problem solving component is available on the module webpage and includes information on the assessment of these components through the project report and an annual examination.

More details about these components, such as guidelines for the project are available on the SS local webpages, while details on the selection of the research project component are on the JS local webpages.

Senior Sophister Research Project

Every student in their Senior Sophister year, as part of the module PY4MP1, carries out a 12 week independent research project at an internationally recognised laboratory that specialises in aspects of nanoscience, advanced materials or semiconductor processing - typically outside of TCD. In most cases the project is pursued abroad in an academic or industrial research laboratory, and recent examples of laboratories where projects have taken place include the IMEC micro- and nano-electronics research centre in Leuven, Belgium; The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California; the University of Alberta, Canada, and the University of Wollongong, Australia, and the University of Potsdam (Universität Potsdam) Germany.

More details about the Senior Sophister project component of PY4MP1 can be accessed here by registered students on the SS local webpages, including guidelines for the project report. Details on the selection of the research project component are on the JS local webpages as arrangements are made during the JS year for the project in the SS year.

Assessment and Examination Procedures

Students will be advised of the examination in Hilary Term. Modules in Physics and in Chemistry are examined according to the rules of the respective schools. A special paper on problem solving ability together with assessment of the research project contributes 25 ECTS in the ratio 30:70, respectively. The final Moderatorship mark includes a JS carry-forward of 35% with the SS mark contributing the remaining 65%. All students are requested to be available for interview during the visit of the external examiner. The External Examiner may require students to take a viva voce examination as part of the Moderatorship (Degree). The dates of the Moderatorship meetings and of these possible interviews will be notified to you.

Henderson-Lloyd Prize in Advanced Materials

This prize is awarded annually to the SS student who has achieved the highest score in the Moderatorship Examinations. Professors Brian Henderson and Robert Lloyd were instrumental in setting up the Materials degree programme in Trinity College Dublin.

Local information for Senior Sophister students

Further information for registered SS PCAM students only is available on the local web page.


Last updated 26 November 2013 NPCAM@tcd.ie.